Deciding between Knight's and Berserker armor

in Mesmer

Posted by: kdava.5239

kdava.5239

Hi everyone

I started crafting Ascended armor, and have been wondering what would be the best combination. I already decided on a mixture of zerk and some toughness. I made a little Excel sheet and compared the numbers. Noticed that Knight’s is better than Cavalier in many ways.

Here’s the sheet (it’s a little messy, sorry). I greened the two winners and greyed the ones that have better alternatives. Please note that I’m not familiar with all the little mechanics, just compared the numbers and made some decisions based on what I think is better (e.g. going full Zerk obviously yields more power, but I greyed it out for being too glassy)

When mixing armor, e.g. Knight’s / Zerk, I put Knight’s on helm, coat, legs and Zerk on the other three. When mixing trinkets, e.g. Zerk / Knight’s, I put Zerk accessories, and Knight’s rings. As I already have ascended Zerk amulet, it was always Zerk (it might have been more accurate to take amulets in account, but I doubt it would make that big a difference). This has been calculated to be the best way to maximalize crit damage while maintaining as much thoughness as possible, although there might have been some changes I’m not aware of…

I’ll share the sheet here, you can use it for reference even if you don’t agree with what’s the best.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4iSJAa_peEXZWt0WjJFYU53UXM/edit?usp=sharing

(download the file and open it with Excel, google messes it up)

Note that for the tables in italic, there’s no trait points allocated and no weapons selected, so the stats are solely for the sets (e.g. “Full Zerk” table under “Armor” means the stats are only for the six pieces of armor without any runes and no trinkets selected) with a level 80 character.

When looking at combinations of trinkets and armor, I used a 10/30/0/30/0 trait setup and exotic Zerk weapons, since it is my current build.

This might not prove to be helpful for many, but since I’ve already made it I thought it would be a waste not to share it. If you have similar doubts about which set to take, you should check it out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

in the kindest way possible did it even occur to you that you can mix cavaliers and knights??

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dekk.3459

Dekk.3459

It is easier to boost precision than crit damage or toughness. Maintenance Oils from Huntsman crafting… I would go with cavaliers over knights. Or maybe Assassins + Cavaliers?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Balance-Developer-Livestream-on-Friday-at-2pm-PST/first

Just wait until at least tomorrow to decide. Crit dmg is most likely going to get nerfed soon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Balance-Developer-Livestream-on-Friday-at-2pm-PST/first

Just wait until at least tomorrow to decide. Crit dmg is most likely going to get nerfed soon.

Now I’m scared.

I preemptively bought my x6 Traveler’s Runes and they’ve announced a rune/sigil rework

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dekk.3459

Dekk.3459

JFC imagine how long dungeons/pve will take with reduced crit damage… Thief left with one build?? So sad. I really hope they aren’t going to push this condition meta even more. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I wonder… If we are on the road of having just one gear stat mechanic, instead of splitting it between PvP and PvE.

That said, so many zerkers would cry we’d drown.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Murdurus.9182

Murdurus.9182

Interesting that you bring this up because I was thinking along very similar lines (I prefer Assassin over Berserker). I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to try and go with a full set of Assassin ascended or Knight ascended and then just keep the rest (weapons and accessories) as Assassin/Berserker. Of course, the whole point of me even bothering considering Knight is because now that I’m lvl 19 in Fractals, the mobs are starting to deal noticeably more damage. I would prefer vitality rather than toughness but since there isn’t a set like that (power/precision/vitality), I would have to take toughness as the next best thing.

Now, my main concern mostly is whether or not it’s worth giving up the power/precision for ~300 toughness. I’m not too overly concerned about crit damage since the set itself really only gives 17% and I’m sitting at 106% at the moment with my Assassin set (not saying crit damage doesn’t matter, I just have ‘enough’ of it). So in my case, I’ll be giving up 17% crit damage and some precision for 300 toughness.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to two questions for me: 1.) How much difference does 300 toughness make and 2.) Is it worth giving up precision and crit damage for it. Of course, depending on how much difference toughness makes, the second might not even become a question. Also, something else that might be of concern is how much will the toughness affect aggro; I think that’ll make a difference in our decision as well.

I think I’ll wait and see what the devs have to say about crit damage today; that, in itself, might answer my dilemma. Sorry I didn’t have much to add to the conversation but wasn’t too sure if my concerns are the same as yours.