Distracting Daggers

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

There’s deep irony to giving a class immune to Power Block an analogue to that very skill…

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yeah I’ve got my eye on this but we’ll see how it goes in the reveals and stuff. Just as mesmers wouldn’t/didn’t like people crying about chrono being OP before release and everything I don’t think we should cry either.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Yeah I’ve got my eye on this but we’ll see how it goes in the reveals and stuff. Just as mesmers wouldn’t/didn’t like people crying about chrono being OP before release and everything I don’t think we should cry either.

I don’t think it seems OP, but I’m a little miffed at them giving power block mechanics to another class, particularly the one that’s immune to it.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Yeah, it’s mildly irritating, but I can’t really be mad about it or anything.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I don’t think it seems OP, but I’m a little miffed at them giving power block mechanics to another class, particularly the one that’s immune to it.

And it’s not even a trait, just a skill! Hue.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

And it’s not even a trait, just a skill! Hue.

Which is why it should be fine. It’s tied to an interrupt via a single utility skill where we have plentiful access to this mechanic via any interrupt.

Though I can’t deny the thick irony …

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

What gets me is that they have the entire thing loaded into the utility, while we have to trait for it -_-u

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

What gets me is that they have the entire thing loaded into the utility, while we have to trait for it -_-u

and yet as a chrono its entirely possible to stun a target 6 times in a row Via a timely combo on Shield 5 + F5

Combine that with Power Block. I’m not going to complain.. Stun still works on thieves.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

and yet as a chrono its entirely possible to stun a target 6 times in a row Via a timely combo on Shield 5 + F5

Combine that with Power Block. I’m not going to complain.. Stun still works on thieves.

Possible < Plausible -_-U

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Isn’t that only 4 times…?

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Our trait is (to me) obviously a hundred times more powerful than their single skill. We can apply it to our numerous interrupts. They got one skill. I agree with Fay that it’s a bit ironic when they are for the most part immune to the mechanic however.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Our trait is (to me) obviously a hundred times more powerful than their single skill. We can apply it to our numerous interrupts. They got one skill. I agree with Fay that it’s a bit ironic when they are for the most part immune to the mechanic however.

Then you haven’t read impacting disruption, which inflicts pulmonary impact on interrupts (which hits a ton harder than our version).

Staff/D+P thief with head shot, distracting daggers, impact strike, fist flurry, and Bandit’s defense (10 sec cd stunbreack block with a knockdown component) will be an interrupt machine. Their elite also CC’s from the getgo, and if they trait for daze on steal that’s another easy interrupt.

And that’s a staff variant. If they forgo using the staff they can play s/p or the standard d/p+shortbow build and still gain access to most of their low cooldown CC interrupts.

None of this CC which they need to trait in. Our power block costs us a grandmaster and potential mind wrack damage.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

If it’s very powerful, I hope they’ll consider reverting IR.
The theoretical potential of a thief interrupt build is hardly worse than getting a lot of shatters, given IR doesn’t actually improve power spike damage in real combat.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Well, if they go DP and pick up the impacting disruption trait it’s still only half of the power block as they don’t get the recharge increase.

Still they can use the utility distracting daggers in this regard to get a power block effect off them.

The question will be how good the trait competition is, from the looks of it Impacting disruption faces very stiff competition from escapists absolution and staff master.

We’ll just have to see tonight, really looking forward to it, could make for a thief-Mesmer shut down duo that is an ability wrecking machine.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

I really don’t see a problem with teefs gaining PB-like-effects from this new utility. What bothers me is its basically a mantra BUT with 1/3 the cast time, no trait investment for getting a 3rd charge, and appears to have background recharge. If it works the way it appears to work… its vastly superior mechanically.

(edited by Mikkel.8427)

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

The question is how long that cd will be – i beleve 5-10sec would be ok.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

You get to throw 3 daggers, each one interrupts…

It’s 3 interrupts on a 25 sec cd from this skill alone. And you have a generous 15 second window to do so.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

So let’s compare

• mantras of distraction: 2 cast by default, 3 if traited; distracting daggers: 3 by default
  • mantra of distraction: 5s CD between uses, distracting dagger didn’t seem to have any
  • mantra of distractions: 2 3/4s loading, distracting dagger: 1s loading
  • distracting dagger: power block without trait

the only benefit of ours is the 5s shorter CD, but almost 2s of those are spent casting anyway. And the daze is shorter, but I have already said I would have liked shorter daze for the mantra. I see it as an interrupt tool, not a way to disable someone for a long time.

This is called balance

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

So let’s compare

• mantras of distraction: 2 cast by default, 3 if traited; distracting daggers: 3 by default
  • mantra of distraction: 5s CD between uses, distracting dagger didn’t seem to have any

the only benefit of ours is the 5s shorter CD, but almost 2s of those are spent casting anyway. And the daze is shorter, but I have already said I would have liked shorter daze for the mantra. I see it as an interrupt tool, not a way to disable someone for a long time.

This is called balance

While I agree the skill balance seemed off here, Distracting Dagger’s have to be used within 15 seconds after you cast it, so you can’t precas it the same way as Mantra of Distraction! I do think so, it should be either nerfed to 2 daggers or have a longer CD.

Also also, the 10 sec stun breack, into a block, into a knockdown were just bunkers! He said the CD would be increased to 15 sec, but way to make the zerker stunbreak on 10 sec, that just… stun breaks… (Which were insane to begin with) Look weak! He seemed to have some trouble understading balance to other classes <.<

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

So let’s compare

This is called balance

You forgot 1200 range with instant cast versus 900 range projectile.
And up to 5 targets versus 1 target.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

So let’s compare

This is called balance

You forgot 1200 range instant cast versus 900 range projectile.

That’s actually a good point aswell!

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

You forgot 1200 range with instant cast versus 900 range projectile.
And up to 5 targets versus 1 target.

Yes, you’re right, I didn’t think about this. The 5 target limit does make up for the other stuff… Ok, skill balanced as far as I see it.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

The aoe is 180 range, it will never hit 5 targets.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

The aoe is 180 range, it will never hit 5 targets.

4 players ressing the 5th downed.. Bamm, you hit all of them
Okay, true, during normal combat it’s low-chance, but not “never”

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

And then we’re in the realm of: “Mesmers should be weak because Veil provides an infinite amount of people stealth.”

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

And then we’re in the realm of: “Mesmers should be weak because Veil provides an infinite amount of people stealth.”

And don’t forget the 3 iSwordsman burst/sustained damage! Ofc our AAs are weak!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Loony.3714

Loony.3714

My biggest issue with this skill is that the difference in rolls from a PvP perspective between thief and mesmer are already so small and this just pushes them closer together. We are both stealth burst classes, and now they both can build around an interrupt focus too? I know its a little bit of a gut reaction, but I just want to maintain some harder distinctions between the classes

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Silverkey.2078

It actually feels like they partly reintroduced the concept of “secondary profession” from gw1. Dragonhunter is clearly a ranger, reaper is just a gloomy warrior, elementalist is stepping on our boon-share/boon removal + CC toes, thief is stepping on our interrupt toes. The only “unique” specialization is the chronomancer, because it is based on a old concept for a new class.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Toeofdoom.6152

Toeofdoom.6152

It looks fine to me, just the same comments about irony as others. Full list of mantra advantages vs dagger advantages

Mantra has longer range
Mantra is not a projectile (Daggers will hit clones/minions etc. all the time, the interrupt wont even kill them until 2s later)
Mantra is aoe, 5 targets
Mantra doesn’t have a time limit (thief MUST use all 3 within 15 seconds or charges are lost)
Mantra has much longer daze

Daggers have shorter cast
Daggers have 3 charges inbuilt
Daggers have power block inbuilt
Daggers do a bit of damage already
Daggers have no cooldown between charges

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I wonder what the irony is when you reflect a dagger and interrupt a dagger while having power block traited :’D hue hue hue

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

but it is totally OK for mes have mechanics from other classes lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Who says those other professions haven’t taken their mechanics from Mesmers? We are the glorious master profession after all. Look, we got butterflies. Can you compete with that? Didn’t think so. They totally stole their mechanics from us. Totally.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

We’re Thieves we stole the mechanic.

Just like we stole the rangers block and retaliate skill, and warriors damage on dodge skill.

we steal, it’s built into our name.

On a side note, first time actually posting anything in mesmer thread let alone looking at you guys. Just wanted to see the different classes reactions to daredevil. Mainly the tears <3 i love the tears ____

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

It’s a pretty nice skill, although i’d still prefer the Mantra if it’d be a choice within one class. Actually, the time-frame mechanic is something i’d like to see on Mantras, too… with longer duration. Cooldown dependant on how many charge’s you’ve blown within the time frame.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Distracting dagger is easier to use, after the mantra mechanic “fix” by Anet. With better mobility and no cool down, I think advantage goes to thieves.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Oh, please. You have stolen ranger preparations (venoms), you stole interrupts that should belong to mesmers.

Mesmers can give you stealth back once their illusions actually defend them instead of just existing for mindwrack spam.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Which ones, because stealth is on at least 4 out of 8 classes. Clones is a mesmer thing. I’d say phantasms but they’re not really pets or minions. Shatters are unique to mesmer.

So please, do tell what mechanics mesmer has from other classes.

(edited by apharma.3741)

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

tetrodoxin.2134

Wells?

15butterflycharrs

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

tetrodoxin.2134

Well… they were a Necro thing until now, no? :0

I am confused.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

So please, do tell what mechanics mesmer has from other classes.

Wells?

15butterflycharrs

Eeeeeeeeyup…

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Wells are a utility type, they are not mechanics.

Clones, doing stuff on dodge like the daredevil, adrenaline etc are mechanics.

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

We’re Thieves we stole the mechanic.

Just like we stole the rangers block and retaliate skill, and warriors damage on dodge skill.

we steal, it’s built into our name.

On a side note, first time actually posting anything in mesmer thread let alone looking at you guys. Just wanted to see the different classes reactions to daredevil. Mainly the tears <3 i love the tears ____

I’m gonna enjoy playing an interrupt daredevil with pistol offhand and this throwing dagger thingy. xD

Distracting Daggers

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I get kind of annoyed when people complain about the same or similar traits popping up across different classes/specs. Necromancers complaining about DD weakening strikes is also irritating. Really things like incendiary powder being the same as the old dhuumfire and all these other proc based traits have always been similar across classes. It just sucks that the devs aren’t able to make traits that aren’t passive on crit, or on certain specific condition procs.

Robert Gee has been a bit better with that, since hes the only dev thats really trait that stack buffs on a proc like fencer’s finesse or corruptor’s fervor, which requires more active play. Or traits that change existing skill funcitonality like transfusion or even the DD dodge traits.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..