Dynamic cool down for continuum shift

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Here is my idea:

Give CS a base cooldown, say, 60 sec.

Everytime CS is used, among the skills being reset, add the highest cooldown to the CS cooldown.

e.g., You reset polymorph moa using CS, when CS ended polymorph moa has a 17x sec cooldown which is the highest among all skills used during the split. That 17x sec cd will be added to your CS and make it 23x sec cooldown.

I think this is the most fair way I can think of to change CS. Some of our elite skills justify their strength by having a long cool down. Nerfing them because of CS low cd is unfair.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Ah yes, the classic “Lets bend PvE builds over a log and give them a good reaming for the purposes of PvP balance” suggestion.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The Meta Chrono build has zero stealth, zero stability, and a single stun break. If you see a Mesmer casting Moa, interrupt it. You have an entire second to do so.

in Mesmer

Exciton.8942

The Meta Chrono build has zero stealth, zero stability, and a single stun break. If you see a Mesmer casting Moa, interrupt it. You have an entire second to do so.

Not really. You always want to either shield 5 stun lock an opponent then cast, or you moa someone in middle of a cast and didn’t realize you are casting moa.

And you moa then F5, so you can still cancel the cast. If you get dazed, then fine, you haven’t casted F5 yet. Just do it again.

in Mesmer

Exciton.8942

Let’s be honest. It is not a good thing to have every long cd elite to be on the same cd as CS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Let’s be honest. It is not a good thing to have every long cd elite to be on the same cd as CS.

This! We can discuss it for as long as we want, but CS simply removes the possibility of balancing elite skills by their CD!

And Fay: PvE mesmer would not be dead even if CS is partly nerfed (many suggestions have been given including this one). Maintaining 100% uptime of quickness and alacrity would be more difficult (or maybe impossible) but the uptime would still be enough to justify a chrono presence in a organized group. You said it yourself, chrono is currently the most irreplaceable class in PvE, so a small nerf would not suddenly make us garbage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

This! We can discuss it for as long as we want, but CS simply removes the possibility of balancing elite skills by their CD!

And Fay: PvE mesmer would not be dead even if CS is partly nerfed (many suggestions have been given including this one). Maintaining 100% uptime of quickness and alacrity would be more difficult (or maybe impossible) but the uptime would still be enough to justify a chrono presence in a organized group. You said it yourself, chrono is currently the most irreplaceable class in PvE, so a small nerf would not suddenly make us garbage.

More than tripling the cooldown of CS for having the audacity to use time warp with it is anything but a “small nerf”. That triples the cooldown on our main buffing combo. It would make us move from providing permanent quickness to quickness running out on the group with another 2 minutes left on the CS timer.

I said it myself, chrono is currently the most irreplaceable class in PvE. However, it is only that way because of the powerful utility it brings. If this change was implemented, chrono would instantly move from best in slot for any group to "eh…lets bring another elementalist instead’.

Now, I’m open to the possibility of nerfs to CS in some way, but literally every single suggestion I’ve seen so far guts PvE mesmer without a second thought. Quite honestly, I don’t give 2 kittens about how perceived unbalanced it is in PvP, because it’s balanced in PvE, useful in WvW, and the number of people actually affected by the PvP performance of it is hilariously miniscule.

“Oh but the pros say it’s so op”. Yes, I’m sure all 12 of them are heartbroken about it. “Oh but everyone on the PvP subforum says it’s op.” Yeah, they’ve been saying that mesmer is op literally since the launch of the game.

This is just a L2P issue. If people weren’t scrubs and learned the moa animation instead of just throwing their hands up in the air and giving up the instant they see an enemy mesmer, nobody would be complaining about CS. Case in point: nobody complained about CS during the chronobunker time. Has it changed at all? Nope.

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

More than tripling the cooldown of CS for having the audacity to use time warp with it is anything but a “small nerf”. That triples the cooldown on our main buffing combo. It would make us move from providing permanent quickness to quickness running out on the group with another 2 minutes left on the CS timer.

I said it myself, chrono is currently the most irreplaceable class in PvE. However, it is only that way because of the powerful utility it brings. If this change was implemented, chrono would instantly move from best in slot for any group to "eh…lets bring another elementalist instead’.

Now, I’m open to the possibility of nerfs to CS in some way, but literally every single suggestion I’ve seen so far guts PvE mesmer without a second thought. Quite honestly, I don’t give 2 kittens about how perceived unbalanced it is in PvP, because it’s balanced in PvE, useful in WvW, and the number of people actually affected by the PvP performance of it is hilariously miniscule.

“Oh but the pros say it’s so op”. Yes, I’m sure all 12 of them are heartbroken about it. “Oh but everyone on the PvP subforum says it’s op.” Yeah, they’ve been saying that mesmer is op literally since the launch of the game.

This is just a L2P issue. If people weren’t scrubs and learned the moa animation instead of just throwing their hands up in the air and giving up the instant they see an enemy mesmer, nobody would be complaining about CS. Case in point: nobody complained about CS during the chronobunker time. Has it changed at all? Nope.

Haha good one. Although yes CS is verrry strong.

About the balancing, I think what we talked about earlier about splitting will help solve this dilemma maybe even just for this skill.

Nerf it in PvP while you keep the PvE folks happy.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Exciton.8942

Even during chronobunker time, the ability to either double gravity well or have low CD timewarp is still pretty strong. But that time the biggest problem is quickness rezzing and stomp so the focus fire is there.

Now comes the time where most other broken class specs have been nerf’ed. Our ability to cast Moa on an essential 70 sec CD will really stand out as the biggest problem.

I admit that I definitely didn’t take enough consideration into PvE where a lot of our strength lies within quickness sharing. This would be a very hard nerf(timewarp from an actual 60 sec CD to 135 sec CD). But I still think some form of compensation can still bring us back to a sweet spot.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Pyro, you know a lot and I respect your opinions however I just don’t think it’s healthy for the Mesmer class (core and elite) to keep continuum split. You are essentially, as others have said, removing balance by cool down for many skills.

They could definitely reduce the duration of time warp and Mao but also reduce their cool downs.
They could make improved alacrity affect alacrity to allies.
They could fix our hilariously poor state for PvE and pathetic, bottom of the barrel dps.

I also don’t think it’s healthy to have a class that is irreplaceable in PvE. Being strong is one thing, being easier to do many things easier than other classes is another but to flat out be such an improvement to the team that no other class compares is over the top.

That doesn’t mean I think they should take stuff away without sorting out our DPS, phantasm mechanics and some of the above though.