Effective solo mesmer in wvwvw

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

UPPDATE * Adding new movie, hopefully it end doubts regarding the spec viability vs thiefs, 1 vs x and vs high toughtness builds.

Spent tihis morning wvwvw solo, got several camps capped but more important run into some fantastic lols. 1 was the worlds worst thief. And a warrior with serius jumping issues.

BUILD:
http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.8.7.3.0.20.32.5.0.35.180.201.191.198.204.2.2.2.526.0.0.544.550.549.0.0.0.0.0.0.591.588.596.10.30.0.0.30

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Nice. I love seeing staff in PvP. Care to share your build/traits and what armour/runes/etc you use?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaxir.3562

Xaxir.3562

Quite an interesting watch i must admit Would you mind posting your build please?

Cheers!

in Mesmer

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

I run 10-30-0-0-30 build shatter based with 2% crit dmg and 10 stats in gear. Energy on swap for staff, flame burst 30% chanse on crit on sword and 5% dmg on pistol. Feel free to look at my other vids on my youtube channel, especialy the thief 1 vs 1 (the longer with music) is good to show this spec in action aswell.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Yes Aaron spot on

in Mesmer

Posted by: darkchicken.8692

darkchicken.8692

hey osicat. Ive watched most of your videos and its really impressing to watch you go around in wvw, i love them .. make the morning more lively in the bus on my phone

I was thinking outside the wall with a build and would like to know your opinion on it. I know it will be crap against zerg but still could be worthwhile in 1v1 or even in dungeon support/dps

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAscRl4zionRTlGa9Ih5D9+MDo7cSPMtqXNA;TkAqbM3Iuxej7G5NLLGWMjA

Its a build based around mantras. I got aoe heal on demand, daze on demand , cc breaker on demand and direct damage for final burst on demand + powerful phantasm. What do you think?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Like I mentioned before I dont claim to be better than other mesmers in any way but i found a way that work for me in both groups and a way that work in solo. I always encourage experementing thu and theorycrafting, I sometimes spend a whole morning messing with a build attacking a camp with it or seek 1 vs 1 or 1 vs x in sPVP to try it out.

Fast judgment by the traits you put our say me you want a survival build with phantams focus and mantars usage. Personaly I avoided mantras as I often end in longer fights and the rechage time feel like both a dps loss and a action loss. Its personal but I feel as long as I act I force the enemy to react in a smal number fight. If I do ths my x force him to do this or keep him form do x bla bla. A mantra recharching enemy or a long cats enemy is inviting a “in your face” enemy to jump you strat lock you down etc.

The situation I see this build that you link work in would be defensive play in a camp (if we talk wvwvw) in team with a dmg dealer, or mabye in sPvP go defend a point untill you got help. Basicly if you go phantasm you want em to do enought dmg while they up to get maximum out of that cd,n. In a zerg they have a tendence to die fast so less usefull thate. If you go mantra you want fight to be ower before you out of mantras and need to recharge.

Hope this helped and dont by al means take it as any critisism of your build, just think about a build:

1 What do I wana do with it? Dmg or survival?
2 Who do I play with? solo or team?
3 How long do I want a fight to be and what do i do if i get meled alternative ranged nuked. (example a reflection spec handle ranged wery well so can focus on mele defense)

Gl on your pvping mate and ty for watch my videos.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

What armour are you wearing?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Al jewelery berserker, 4 berserker armour 1 knight 1 valkyre weps berserker. Tbh shatter survivla is about mash buttons as you see in vid. Alot of immune and block etc. If u gona survive you need o be reactive and controll your opponets. Its fun and demnading at same time

in Mesmer

Posted by: darkchicken.8692

darkchicken.8692

Like I mentioned before I dont claim to be better than other mesmers in any way but i found a way that work for me in both groups and a way that work in solo. I always encourage experementing thu and theorycrafting, I sometimes spend a whole morning messing with a build attacking a camp with it or seek 1 vs 1 or 1 vs x in sPVP to try it out.

Fast judgment by the traits you put our say me you want a survival build with phantams focus and mantars usage. Personaly I avoided mantras as I often end in longer fights and the rechage time feel like both a dps loss and a action loss. Its personal but I feel as long as I act I force the enemy to react in a smal number fight. If I do ths my x force him to do this or keep him form do x bla bla. A mantra recharching enemy or a long cats enemy is inviting a “in your face” enemy to jump you strat lock you down etc.

The situation I see this build that you link work in would be defensive play in a camp (if we talk wvwvw) in team with a dmg dealer, or mabye in sPvP go defend a point untill you got help. Basicly if you go phantasm you want em to do enought dmg while they up to get maximum out of that cd,n. In a zerg they have a tendence to die fast so less usefull thate. If you go mantra you want fight to be ower before you out of mantras and need to recharge.

Hope this helped and dont by al means take it as any critisism of your build, just think about a build:

3 How long do I want a fight to be and what do i do if i get meled alternative ranged nuked. (example a reflection spec handle ranged wery well so can focus on mele defense)

Gl on your pvping mate and ty for watch my videos.

I never saw you claim being better then others in your post but i know how some people go on about your video. I dont know what people expect in a pvp video really… Why must a the video contain only top quality tournament oponents? For myself i play in WvW mostly and i dont background check my oponents. Those who attack me , i turn around and kill/get killed them. So when i check up pvp video , i look up for something entertaining , some laughs , some tip and tricks and how people go about their pvp which for most players consist of regular players vs regular players.

So no worries, i love your video and i never saw you write or do something that would inflate your ego , your video are always funny/informative/interesting at least for me (regular pvp-er , not a kitten tournament player).

-I would say both but if i have to pick i would go with survival , i would love to solo/duo champions

-Mostly a necro (gonna build herself around deathshroud or life stealing depending which is more tanky
-The other half i spend it with a healing oriented engineer (running on medpack)
-I do some solo too

-I dont know enough about the mesmer to clearly say what i want about it, there seem to be so many good combination on this class. Ive been toying with dual sword , greatsword , staff. I love spawning illusions and shattering them , really good looking and it confuse the heck out of my wife when she try to follow me around , make me laugh

Thanks a ton!

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

:) Idd a good pvp video should in my opinon have music who fits ang get the emotion you want to deliver. Also I öike to get some kind of story etc for entertainment factor and last some Lol,s. Like the 2 nd fight with the thief, yes he is terrible, but he is accualy so amazingly bad its entertaining to watch him heart seaker himsel into a stone pillar and bounce down.

Thats the beuty with wvwvw, some ppl you run into is extremy good, skilled etc others… less skilled. the guild I fight hy the dolly I often run into and several of them are top player in my oppionon.

To your build, is there any way for you to get 10 points in for fury on phantasms? Think it would turn the build alot deadlier, anyway try try and again try different builds. I did spend 4 hours yesterday duel my guildmates in 1 vs 1 and 2.vs 2’ was extremy fun, see if you can find some to practise against. I used to find guardians hard, why I did tje guardian movie and I try duel some guardians when I find a good one who feel for it.

The sPvp is good place to make new contacts aswell, i love the wvwvw but try spend spme time in the tpvp and spvp just to practice skills as you get into more combat there. Easy to find somone who feel for some duels aswell.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

Osicat what is the first song?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Well I feel kinda lame building my survivalist greatsword build. It’s great in group play, but taht’s just cause in a zerg you’re safe with numbers. Staff is defensive enough for roaming play, which I end up doing a lot.

Course, spent my tokens on the MF staff, so oh well.

Now I feel weird going for a Sunrise/Twilight.

(edited by AsteriskCGY.5931)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Its “the devil is in the details” by chemical brothers for the film Hanna, Asterisk, try what work best for you, GS might work better for some, I just find it hard to be effective in the juking burst gameplay i tent to play sometimes vs sevral opponents. Staff especialy with the skill nr 2 change is extremly viable for this as you can hit a roll and shatter while immune to dmg due to dodge, and while still in the roll hit staff 2 for a juke out and leav a clone.

in Mesmer

Cempa.3645

Its “the devil is in the details” by chemical brothers for the film Hanna, Asterisk, try what work best for you, GS might work better for some, I just find it hard to be effective in the juking burst gameplay i tent to play sometimes vs sevral opponents. Staff especialy with the skill nr 2 change is extremly viable for this as you can hit a roll and shatter while immune to dmg due to dodge, and while still in the roll hit staff 2 for a juke out and leav a clone.

Lots of people play like you do and also find it hard to maintain fluid game play with GS, it is a niche weapon play style wise, for my self I am extremely proficient with it yet feel like a fish out of water with a sword Oo Moreover; I have no issues whatsoever strafing any melee with my GS -though I’ll be the first to admit Sword is a fantastic weapon and I really need to get better with it.

in Mesmer

Cempa.3645

Sorry I meant the second song -seemed like one song :/

in Mesmer

AsteriskCGY.5931

I can say my play with GS is not any better than your staff, and between the two staff makes for a better weapon for infighting, which is what I’m looking for to counter thieves. GS at range is easily better, but doesn’t help in solo situations.

in Mesmer

AsteriskCGY.5931

More importantly I need to use distortion for more than just doing immune stomps.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Song is Major lazer – Original Don, yes sword is a fnatastic weapon ankittenep like it more and more due to al the neat little tricks.

Asterisk, idd Distortion is a key ability to be effective shatter close range, also shatter nr 3 if you have illusionaly persona, its hard to catch but in every vid so far i posted you can notice I after Mindwrack and before cry hit distraction just before imobilice wear off. It also a fantastic interupt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

Playing a similar spec to Osi at the moment (10/20/10/0/30). We’re guild mates, and while we have different playstyles, it’s amazing how effective you can be solo in WvW, and how bursty you can be when you need to be… particularly if you take a kind of “living bomb” approach to your shatter.

Posted a new video showing the same (well, very similar!) effective build and approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQAyPGT0no&hd=1

We’re recruiting btw, if anyone on Desolation if looking for a small scale, guerrilla WvW guild then give us a shout (www.judge-guild.net)

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

in Mesmer

Parthis.2091

Love that thief btw Osi. Love him. You could essentially hear his embarassement when he hit that pillar ;P

in Mesmer

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Whole lot of glass-cannon sPvP Mesmers happening in here.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

in Mesmer

Cempa.3645

9xx Toughness for a Mesmer is not glass cannon…I know it dose not sound logical but I guess class mechanics allow the class to get away with much lower Toughness than others.

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

9xx Toughness for a Mesmer is not glass cannon…I know it dose not sound logical but I guess class mechanics allow the class to get away with much lower Toughness than others.

For WvW, 9xx toughness is absolutely a glass cannon. Of course, this is assuming your in WvW to participate in events that happen there, instead of trying to find 1v1/1v2’s.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

That’s absurd.

1v1/2v2 is exactly where you need Toughness as a Mesmer. In large scale WvW, durability is completely irrelevant for the Mesmer class, unless you make a habit of diving for portals 24×7.

Mesmers inherently have better survivability than any other class in the game, and large-scale combat with the automatic “attack the other 78 people, not me”, makes it exceptionally easy to survive with 0 +vit/0 +tough.

Edit: Although this probably simply comes down to playstyle and build.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

@EasymodeX

Your edit comment probably factors in greatly. Perhaps I am much more aggressive than the Berserker GS-spammers. I also like to roll with utilities that matter for more than just myself, which limits some of that on-demand survivability.

When I went glass cannon, Rangers and Thieves (particularly Dagger Storm) ate me up when Blink was on cooldown.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Posted by: NatashaK.9418

NatashaK.9418

You have to go class cannon it you’re stacking precision / crit damage. Because they multiply. Glass cannon mesmer plays just like a thief “rock would beat scissors but rock can’t find scissors”. You’re either hiding in plain sight by running with the zerg or you’re using clones and LoS.

My assumption is that they deliberately made it hard to make attrition builds which just stacked condition and defensive stats. Nercos would do the same thing.

I’d love toughness. But it’s just too difficult to itemize for. I’d value:
condition damage > toughness > vitality >> power >> everything else

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Tbh, I dissagree. Yes in general a caracter with lesser hp and lesser toughtness is considered just as you mention glass cannon. But for shatter mesmers with shatter reset at 50%, 4 stunbrakers, stealth etc we survive a beating alot better than a 100b warrior or a backstab thief. I regulary participate in hits on bigger groups in wvwvw and smale group scremishing. never do I feel like i get nuked.

The difference is that a shatter mesmer build hes survival around mecanics, skills and utilitys rather than a high hp thoughtness phantasm / power /whatever mesmer. You can be targeted by enemy, they know who you are and who your clones are but still 2 ppl keep hitting invourability and immune time after time after time after…

I hvae several times soloed camps with defenders in, killed defenders and capped camp after. This is points for server and tbh not sPvP. just saying

I also carry utility for team, usualy I run in a 8-13 man team in wvwvw, I have no porblem support them in this build with portals and time warp. My focus is in my bags ready to use. About thievs, several of the ones dying in the vid is thievs, if they jump you or you kittenup you can still win in this build, have a look :

You dont eed to run in zerg or los, outoplay them and use immunitys. control the battle.

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

The video includes only one WvW fight, which was, shockingly, a 1v1.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zilm.8459

Zilm.8459

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Neilsie-mesmer-Solo-McM-Vid-o/first#post596275

Although largely solo he does get into 1v2’s as well as players on the outer edges of zergs.
He’s totally geared but you have to admit his shatter build is extremely powerful and well played.

I’m goint to have to try this build out.

Zed Trufar, Mesmer
Zaine Trufar, Thief
Yak’s Bend, Knights and Heroes Guild [Beer]

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Soloing an undefended supply camp shouldn’t be an issue for any spec of Mesmer.

The point is this:

1. I’m currently running a glass cannon Mantra (read: low survivability) build, and because of it I can’t run into 30 players then run back out. I actually can’t pull crazy stunts with that build, because the build isn’t meant for it.

2. I used to run a glass cannon Shatter build, and I could run through 30 players and run back out (Decoy, Feedback, Blink too OP, Distortion on top, Blurred Frenzy, Focus CC, the winning never ends and Tiger Blood).

And that’s with glass cannon throughout the builds. To me, running into a large group of other players, causing a disturbance, then running back out again, is generally reckless and the fact that you can do that with a glass cannon style build and gear means that you have more than enough tough/vit for “general gameplay”.

Running toughness/vit to me says “I want to tank the 30 players”, which is kind of silly in the first place, or “I want to run through the 30 players, then keep running through the ballista, catapult, and 5 arrow carts so I can drop a portal of doom”. I mean this is actually legit — if you want to excel at running through insane crossfire to drop a portal, by all means stack some Tough and/or Vit. Sidenote: or if you want to man a ram while getting rained on. Why you wouldn’t want a linebreaker build of Guard/Warr to do this instead is beyond me, but then again you may not have those available.

Normal running through 30 players for shaking them up simply does not require Vit/Tough for a Mesmer unless your opponents are super geared with very good target switching and spamming full-throttle. Blink, Decoy, Focus CC, Staff retreat + CS, and Feedback are just too much winsauce. Even with higher-end opponents, that’s when you start being cautious with your diving rather than doing it willy-nilly.

Kick it up a notch with something that’s slightly not-full-glass (e.g. 20/0/0/20/30 spec, rather than 20/20/0/0/30), and I can almost facetank the 30 players for short periods of time (just don’t stand in 5x meteor shower thrown by glass Eles; those can kittening hurt if they RNG own you).

I also like to roll with utilities that matter for more than just myself, which limits some of that on-demand survivability.

This may be the biggest thing. Blink, Feedback, and Decoy, in that order, are the biggest 3 get out of jail cards a Mesmer can play in WvW (and in certain situations Mimic is even better than Decoy).

I could definitely see a lot more Tough or Vit if you are running Glamour spam or any other combination of “I am not using Blink”, and you still want to pull fun stunts.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

This may be the biggest thing. Blink, Feedback, and Decoy, in that order, are the biggest 3 get out of jail cards a Mesmer can play in WvW (and in certain situations Mimic is even better than Decoy).

I could definitely see a lot more Tough or Vit if you are running Glamour spam or any other combination of “I am not using Blink”, and you still want to pull fun stunts.

When I rolled glass-cannon, I had Blink-Feedback-Null Field. I was fine when Blink was available, but you’d pretty much have to really hold back and not get as involved when it was on cooldown — I hated that.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

You know what’s really fun for diving recklessly? Reaper of Grenth human racial. PBAOE pulsing poison + chill for 15 seconds. I’m not 100% positive, but I think it didn’t break Decoy as well. Never really got a good test of that though.

Also, if you have IP and the 10 point Inspiration trait for Vigor on Shatter, you can get almost permanent Vigor by rolling your face over F1-F4 continuously.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Tbh Alanis thing you need to explain what you after, what you ask and what you mean here. With:

When I went glass cannon, Rangers and Thieves (particularly Dagger Storm) ate me up when Blink was on cooldown

You say, 1* you feel the build played is glass cannon? The vid show it survive longer fighting vs 1-3 players in solo.

2* you say its low thoughtness for wvwvw? Under what situations? To be in middle of zerg and aoe ? I never do that. To run in a smal team and fight bigger number or other teams of 5-10 ppl? I do that regulary and I can confirm it work.

3*You mention thievs give you problem with glass cannon? Well depends on build, this is not a glass cannon build, 1st movie show several fights where thiefs fight me and fail, 2nd movie is a 1 vs 1 movie ment to show that you can recover even if you do a mistake vs a thief.

Tbh what do you mean, are you insinuating that shatter is unviable for wvwvw? if so say so. You mean only massive tank spec work for wvwvw? if so say so. You say that we can handle thiefs in fights with more than 1 vs 1 , again say so so ppl can give you a good answer. Atm you just throw our argument without make clear what you mean. You taking about zerg wvwvw or smal number wvwvw?

This is a vid of the team i run in, using same spec and ppl die before our feet. Have a pile of clips etc where we kill equal or bigger number red with 6-12 players in short noticem with aoe running and I play same spec and dont die, must do something wrong

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

alanis.6094

Tbh Alanis thing you need to explain what you after, what you ask and what you mean here. With:

When I went glass cannon, Rangers and Thieves (particularly Dagger Storm) ate me up when Blink was on cooldown

You say, 1* you feel the build played is glass cannon? The vid show it survive longer fighting vs 1-3 players in solo.

I wouldn’t discount that you are significantly better than anyone you ran up against in that video. And like most videos, you don’t learn about as much from the victories as you would as showing the defeats.

2* you say its low thoughtness for wvwvw? Under what situations? To be in middle of zerg and aoe ? I never do that. To run in a smal team and fight bigger number or other teams of 5-10 ppl? I do that regulary and I can confirm it work.

If all you do is fight 10-15 bad, uncoordinated players as a coordinated group, you might be able to get away with more. Of course, as the below video shows, if you never, ever get targeted by enemies then you certainly don’t need any vit or toughness. I watched about 7-8 min of the video, and only saw once that you even took any real focus at all and you immediately had to pull off and regroup.

3*You mention thievs give you problem with glass cannon? Well depends on build, this is not a glass cannon build, 1st movie show several fights where thiefs fight me and fail, 2nd movie is a 1 vs 1 movie ment to show that you can recover even if you do a mistake vs a thief.

I mentioned that thieves with their elite can cause problems in WvW, not 1v1. In 1v1 I’ll likely have cooldowns available to deal with this. In WvW, unless I want to AFK between survivability cooldowns, there are times where you’ll take heavy damage w/o your blink (or decoy, if you go that route).

Tbh what do you mean, are you insinuating that shatter is unviable for wvwvw?

I run an IP build in WvW.

if so say so. You mean only massive tank spec work for wvwvw? if so say so.

I’m suggesting that for larger fights, or fights where you’d rather not hide/afk after using your blink, or fights vs equal number of skilled players, Toughness > Glass cannon.

You say that we can handle thiefs in fights with more than 1 vs 1 , again say so so ppl can give you a good answer. Atm you just throw our argument without make clear what you mean. You taking about zerg wvwvw or smal number wvwvw?

I’m talking about WvW that is either 1) larger siege; or 2) evenly matched in skill.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

(edited by alanis.6094)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Thank you for clarify what you mean. Its alot clearer now and I think it al come down to that we not only run different spec but also totaly different gamestyles in wvwvw. With a cordinated team who hit and go, not stay and defending on a siege but hit camps, supply routs and packs of moving troups.

Only thing I dissagree with is that I feel you toaly underestimate the 10-30-0-0-30 and kinda get stuff wrong when you throw phrases like “you’d rather not hide/afk after using your blink”.

Also,if you run in a smal set team of ppl everyone cant be tanks/survival, we have both heavy thoughtness guardians with bubble if needed and high dmg dealers in our team, you need both. The “run into equal number of players with simmilar skill” i think come down to just become better.

Tbh I wont drag on this argumentation alot longer, i think we wont realy agree ever and i dont feel I win anything try convince you as you have your ideas and i have mine. Just dont want ppl to beleve they have to go AFK between fights with a 10-30-0-0-30 spec as its kinda clear in the vid that its not nessesery.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Volatility.6729

Volatility.6729

Mesmer is IMO the best class at utilizing a GC build. In fact, I really don’t see the point of not running full berserker’s on a mesmer given their damage avoidance potential. Of course not necessarily true for every build but still. Case and point: I’d never roam w/ a GC Ele in WvW.

Btw, Easymode from Anchorhead?

Ostrich Burger
The Patryns [TP]

in Mesmer

Parthis.2091

I’m suggesting that for larger fights, or fights where you’d rather not hide/afk after using your blink, or fights vs equal number of skilled players, Toughness > Glass cannon.

You’re suggesting that in one situation without a number of abilities available that Toughness builds are better than a glass cannon build? Sure, that’s obvious. It also applies to every class in this game. Bottom line is if you’re in the middle of a zerg without a plan you’re dead. That’s how it should be.

The inverse is true; a Toughness build when small-scale roaming is not as good as damage build with good utility… and in this thread players are saying they prefer that play style; so a toughness build is pointless.

Secondly, and this is an important point; you’re ultimately talking about passive survival vs active survival. Good players will find a way out. They’ll drop a portal on the way in. They’ll save something for escaping. They’re also, in your scenario, not alone. Other portals, thief stealths, AoE buffs and healing, support guardian, warrior stuns, and so on all add to the survival of the individual in the situation you’re highlighting.

So the question becomes; do I want to stack personal survival stats, kittening my damage, when running with a large organised team? The answer is still no; my survival is inherently part of the pack, and my utility and damage contribute.

Unless your example only applies to mindlessly zerging with randoms, at which point, gg.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Btw, Easymode from Anchorhead?

I did play on Anchorhead, but my Mara was Xaos :p.

Edit: Oh, you were a Mara too right?

in Mesmer

Posted by: psirca.9452

psirca.9452

Can’t quote your post so have to quote you, icons are gone for it.
“The inverse is true; a Toughness build when small-scale roaming is not as good as damage build with good utility… and in this thread players are saying they prefer that play style; so a toughness build is pointless.”

I don’t fancy that notion at all. So many people build for glass cannons that small-scale roaming always pays off to be built for toughness. When I come toward another player in the wild and we attempt something, easily 80% of the time they do crazy damage. It seems to be the defacto standard for most professions is to build for killing power. Having toughness I can support them. I can stand closer and gain aggro, I can use my pets as fodder for aggro because they aren’t my damage and important to keep alive except for their random healing and since I am closer, it usually hits me. Because I can remove conditions near constantly, heal at whim, and am built like a mack truck, I can support them and we turn what would be two quick killers into a tank healer with a dps. Nobody is dying next to me without some massive interference. Because of my toughness, if a zerg gets a few hits off, I don’t crumble and have time to run. Good luck dpsing down a zerg. Toughness also lets me lead the line in zergs. Can’t count how many times I stand in enemy aoe and heal right through it helping others as they move forward and back. They can’t take it, I can and I can aid them surviving it because so many build for glass cannon out there.
I really stand by toughness for my playstyle. I run around a lot solo so I have seen the impact it makes. Lots of people can burst down one enemy but when you get two, I can usually maintain until aid comes if I want to stay and fight. A glass cannon caught off guard is on the ground. See thieves. When you take less damage, you have more reaction time. For my anecdotal story, I once took out a dolyak alone with 4 enemies hitting on me, then stealthed out like a king. It wasn’t a short battle but one that came out in my favor.

(edited by psirca.9452)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

psirca, if you feel more happy in a thoughtnes spec and feel it work for you by al mean do it.

What partis is aiming on is the fast hit and run tactics used by judge. When we jump 10 ppl thru the portal and max dps for 5-7 seconds with time warp up its more viable to add extra dps, use immunitys and skills to dodge some dmg and floor as many red as possible before portal out. The enemy we hit will eather brake or regroup, wounded, when done they find us on a cliff out of range and then we rehit in short. Camp with defender in cleaned in a few seconds in this way is not uncommon for us, and we dont stay and defend the camp, we move on after cap and hit next camp, take out a few dollys and constant move avoid big zergs and hit them in the back when when oppurtunity or in places their numbera get crounched together.

About solo roaming I can just say the playstye I use work for me, you clame your work for you, so al happy. Even if my style is different from yours enjoy the movie and have a nice evening.

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

I run basically the same build as Osicat. It is a very active, high-action build inherently…but played correctly can totally wreck face. I have basically zero survivability issues unless outright zerged. The survivability is built into utilities, staff, and proper use of shatters (specifically distortion). The burst, when geared properly, is scary good. I also run Sigils of Superior Energy in my pistol and staff (+50% endurance on weapon swap), which helps with survivability quite alot as well. Once you’ve mastered this build, you will not lose 1v1s unless AFK, lol.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

With a Staff and Pistol you can’t kill people in WvW that run away, though, which is basically everyone.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Banjo.5409

Banjo.5409

I don’t really see the point to make a video of the most op and broken class in the game playing against noobs who have no kittening clue about fighting a mesmer. Anyone with half a brain can do that.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Easymode I think that come down to playstyle, I sure ppl find it hard but al I can say is that I and some others found ways to do this. Just need to be on your toes, use 1200 range trait on pistol.

The tools I use mainly is Blink, pistol sword 2, staff 2 and suprisinly portals.

Portal part "if you plan and think they going to run drop a portal, blink and staff 2 hit em form 1 side, often you can burst a solo player down in a few secs, if not and you hit fomr 1 side he often will run in other direction and you can portal hit him, if he get 3-4 friends al of a sudden your portal is a escape instead. I dont say it always work, same as I say not always needed as often I find ppl dead in 1st burst 2-3 sec after fight started.

Last, not al player you face is playing french playstyle, some accualy stay and fight.

PS in group fights I like to set roles to the team, and some will always be hunter of runners, usualy a thief we use who have a sick interest in run after wounded targets and stab them in the back.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

1. If you have lots of other people CC’ing for you, sure.

2. Staff still chases for kitten.

3. Pistol stun + Sword iLeap <<< Focus Into the Void + Sword iLeap

4. 1200 range GS cripple >>> Staff.

5. 1200 range instant DPS >>> 1200 range projectiles that don’t land because the enemy is moving away from you.

6. 1200 range phantasm that hits >>> 1200 range phantasm whose projectile doesn’t land.

Staff is a defensive weapon, which is in many cases more interesting for a small group v. X skirmish.

However, Staff doesn’t make stuff die. People can run away pretty easily. If you’re in a position where “the enemy runs away” = win, then you win. Most of the time, winning to me = they die. GS makes stuff die.

All the tools you list to improve chasedown are equally applicable to GS/x. Shrug.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Mesmer

crewthief.8649

1. If you have lots of other people CC’ing for you, sure.

2. Staff still chases for kitten.

3. Pistol stun + Sword iLeap <<< Focus Into the Void + Sword iLeap

4. 1200 range GS cripple >>> Staff.

5. 1200 range instant DPS >>> 1200 range projectiles that don’t land because the enemy is moving away from you.

6. 1200 range phantasm that hits >>> 1200 range phantasm whose projectile doesn’t land.

Staff is a defensive weapon, which is in many cases more interesting for a small group v. X skirmish.

However, Staff doesn’t make stuff die. People can run away pretty easily. If you’re in a position where “the enemy runs away” = win, then you win. Most of the time, winning to me = they die. GS makes stuff die.

All the tools you list to improve chasedown are equally applicable to GS/x. Shrug.

That’s a fair point, and I do find runners are extremely difficult to catch up with. I suppose that’s the downside to Staff. In my mind, the defensive capability and utility makes up for that weakness. That, and alot of times, people become aware of my burst…but it’s too late for them to run.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

in Mesmer

crewthief.8649

Easymode I think that come down to playstyle, I sure ppl find it hard but al I can say is that I and some others found ways to do this. Just need to be on your toes, use 1200 range trait on pistol.

The tools I use mainly is Blink, pistol sword 2, staff 2 and suprisinly portals.

Portal part "if you plan and think they going to run drop a portal, blink and staff 2 hit em form 1 side, often you can burst a solo player down in a few secs, if not and you hit fomr 1 side he often will run in other direction and you can portal hit him, if he get 3-4 friends al of a sudden your portal is a escape instead. I dont say it always work, same as I say not always needed as often I find ppl dead in 1st burst 2-3 sec after fight started.

Last, not al player you face is playing french playstyle, some accualy stay and fight.

PS in group fights I like to set roles to the team, and some will always be hunter of runners, usualy a thief we use who have a sick interest in run after wounded targets and stab them in the back.

I run Blink, Decoy, and Null Field most of the time…swap out Null Field w/ Feedback or Blink depending on the situation. Generally run Mass Invisibility in the elite slot.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

in Mesmer

crewthief.8649

I don’t really see the point to make a video of the most op and broken class in the game playing against noobs who have no kittening clue about fighting a mesmer. Anyone with half a brain can do that.

An experienced player playing ANY profession will, 9 times out of 10, faceroll noobs. Not sure what your point is, unless you just saw this thread as an opportunity to QQ about Mesmer.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus