Everyone sad = everyone happy...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Galrukh.6532

Galrukh.6532

Reading the other boards have made me come to this conclusion. Pretty much every class is unhappy with the recent patch because it nerfed them or didnt fix their bugs.
In the overall picture that probably means that everyone got a little closer to each other power wise and Anet did achieve some sort of balancing.
I personally feel that my necro is a bit more powerful, (even though Im unhappy that 95% of our bugs werent fixed) but thats because pretty much everyone else got a little nerfed including my GS mesmer.
Ofcourse, if Anet had done this by improving everyone (to varying degrees ofcourse) people would not have made as many angry posts.
I will salute Anet for balancing the game but I will not salute them for the way they did it.

Help build the next big RvR game.
Camelot Unchained is on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vendris.4201

Vendris.4201

Please get your facts straight.

This patch did not just “nerf mesmers” and “not fix their bugs”. It added a huge new bug.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

I did notice and find that kind of humerous as well. A lot of people are abandoning their old class in favor of another that is simultaneously being abandoned. Well, except for Warrior, which is still busy debating whether or not its’ the most overpowered thing since Chuck Norris, or underwhelmingly average.

Nobody is really happy about this patch though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

The patch hit mesmer the hardest by far… atm our phantoms are doing 50% damage (bugged) aren’t being generated if they dodge/block/blind (not a bug but I don’t think they understood how severe of a nerf this was) and we still have a list of 20+ serious bug issues which have never been resolved. Changing to any other class is an upgrade at this current point in time.

Also thieves weren’t hit very hard in this patch other than dancing daggers. They still seem to be pretty happy as a whole.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

I’m switching to my guardian for the time being. More tanky, decent damages, great support for much less effort (talking about PVE here). I’ll miss the butterflies though. I bought the TA GS for my mesmer a few days ago and won’t get to use it before they decide to fix LOS/obstructed/izerker damage bugs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

This is actually incorrect. I went through the other forums, precisely to see what was going on, and if the response was as bad as it is for mesmers. This is what I found:

Elementalist: As bad or worse than mesmers. They had a massive mechanic completely removed, with no warning.

Engineer: Pissed that nothing was fixed effectively, but nothing was particularly made worse.

Guardian: Almost nothing about the patch. Not surprising, as there was nothing particularly notable in it for guardians.

Necromancer: Again, not a whole lot about the patch, a few small threads about bug fixes. The necromancer was a very positive patch, as bugs were fixed and nothing nerfed, but it is just a drop in the bucket as far as necro bugs go.

Ranger: This was actually the most telling section. The atmosphere was subdued and defeatist. They weren’t pissed about the patch, they were just warning other people not to make rangers, and lamenting about how they wish their class was viable.

Thief: Other than a few whine threads from people that didn’t actually understand what the patch notes said, nothing. I think they were all just massively relieved that backstab didn’t get nerfed.

Warrior: This was the most amusing one. They were annoyed that none of their bugs got fixed. The funny thing is that everyone was annoyed about the same 2 bugs that didn’t seem to be very large, and they were whining about it, with someone mentioning every now and then that they should be thankful they didn’t get nerfed.

So, as a whole, only the elementalist forum has gone up in flames over this patch the same way the mesmer forum has, and for good reason. Although mesmers had the fewest changes…they were almost certainly the worst, or at least tied with the ele one. Everyone may be somewhat sad, but certain classes got completely destroyed, and others not so much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aeri.1452

Aeri.1452

This is actually incorrect. I went through the other forums, precisely to see what was going on, and if the response was as bad as it is for mesmers. This is what I found:

Elementalist: As bad or worse than mesmers. They had a massive mechanic completely removed, with no warning.

The way I’m reading the patch notes and the trait description, this seems like it was an actual bug that got fixed, rather than a straight-up skill nerf, that caused another bug. The only spell that the trait casts which has an actual blast finisher is Churning Earth, and considering they said it won’t cast ‘unintentional’ finishers, I see a possibility of that finisher actually being added back in per the normal spell.

The way I figure it, it’s somewhat similar to the iZerker being fixed for requiring LoS, yet the ‘bouncing attack’ fix causing a bug that reduced it’s damage considerably. The LoS for that did, IMO, need to be fixed, due to the way the phantasm spawns (right next to the target, compared to near the player). The devs already said they’re looking into bringing the damage back up to par.

It’s one thing to fix a bug in a skill or trait, and have said fix cause other bugs – like the iZerker damage, and possibly the lack of an intentional blast finisher. However, it’s a whole other can of worms to alter literally the biggest mechanic of a class – illusion generation – without a significant amount of testing. Since there’s only 2 devs working on skill changes, from what I understand, I seriously doubt they alone could properly test a major mechanic change.

in Mesmer

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

The way I’m reading the patch notes and the trait description, this seems like it was an actual bug that got fixed, rather than a straight-up skill nerf, that caused another bug. The only spell that the trait casts which has an actual blast finisher is Churning Earth, and considering they said it won’t cast ‘unintentional’ finishers, I see a possibility of that finisher actually being added back in per the normal spell.

The way I figure it, it’s somewhat similar to the iZerker being fixed for requiring LoS, yet the ‘bouncing attack’ fix causing a bug that reduced it’s damage considerably. The LoS for that did, IMO, need to be fixed, due to the way the phantasm spawns (right next to the target, compared to near the player). The devs already said they’re looking into bringing the damage back up to par.

It’s one thing to fix a bug in a skill or trait, and have said fix cause other bugs – like the iZerker damage, and possibly the lack of an intentional blast finisher. However, it’s a whole other can of worms to alter literally the biggest mechanic of a class – illusion generation – without a significant amount of testing. Since there’s only 2 devs working on skill changes, from what I understand, I seriously doubt they alone could properly test a major mechanic change.

If you examine the huge thread on this, the “unintentional blast finishers” had become an adjusted part of the game and the expected behavior from the elementalist community.

The pvp community was not moaning or crying to the heavens about it, and people who brought elementalists as support in pve were using strategies for encounters which utilized this behavior.

It might have been a bug, but it was hardly “game-breaking”, and they could have instead corrected the tooltip and accepted it as “the new normal”

As for what they did to our iZerker and particularly our phantasms, I’m starting to wonder if their original balance team “walked” and these guys are fresh on the job from something more mundane like email services development, because it reflects a fundamental and glaring lack of understanding about how our phantasms work (hint, their damage is only HALF their function, and not even the most important half in group play!)

Happiness is a subjective thing. It’s generally much easier to start from a lower position and go to a higher one than to over-compensate then “take away” what was already there.

Also, in the case of mesmer vs other classes: It’s one thing to exclude the ground effects, turbo, or internal trim of the car, it’s another to take 4 of 6 gears from the transmission and say “you’ll be fine!”

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

If you examine the huge thread on this, the “unintentional blast finishers” had become an adjusted part of the game and the expected behavior from the elementalist community.

The pvp community was not moaning or crying to the heavens about it, and people who brought elementalists as support in pve were using strategies for encounters which utilized this behavior.

It might have been a bug, but it was hardly “game-breaking”, and they could have instead corrected the tooltip and accepted it as “the new normal”

As for what they did to our iZerker and particularly our phantasms, I’m starting to wonder if their original balance team “walked” and these guys are fresh on the job from something more mundane like email services development, because it reflects a fundamental and glaring lack of understanding about how our phantasms work (hint, their damage is only HALF their function, and not even the most important half in group play!)

Happiness is a subjective thing. It’s generally much easier to start from a lower position and go to a higher one than to over-compensate then “take away” what was already there.

Also, in the case of mesmer vs other classes: It’s one thing to exclude the ground effects, turbo, or internal trim of the car, it’s another to take 4 of 6 gears from the transmission and say “you’ll be fine!”

You have a good point here. The ele nerf was doubly strange because not a single person EVER complained about the blast finishers, it was a balanced and well made mechanic that everyone liked. With phantasms, there at least was massive moaning, as much as it was uncalled for.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

You have a good point here. The ele nerf was doubly strange because not a single person EVER complained about the blast finishers, it was a balanced and well made mechanic that everyone liked. With phantasms, there at least was massive moaning, as much as it was uncalled for.

Some persons were complaining about “unkillable bunker elementalists”, thats why.