Fighting a PU Mesmer

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Hey guys,

Can someone give me, a guardian, tips on fighting PU mesmers? I’m having mad issues :Z

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

Run to the next tower, cap it, spam /laugh until Mesmer arrives. Repeat.

If you post your build and explain what usually happens during a fight it would be easier to give you proper advice.

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

Run to the next tower, cap it, spam /laugh until Mesmer arrives. Repeat.

This. PU mesmers are almost completely irrelevant unless you make them relevant by fighting them. ;-)

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

I dont get that. If people start fighting me, get their kitten kicked and run to the closest tower, I’ll just /wave and go on with my bussiness. It’s nice to be feared.

[HUE]

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

If you’re a bunker guardian then holding a point should be straightforward against any stealthing character.
For specific skills, you might be better off asking in the guardian forum.

But remember, PU is just a trait – it doesn’t mean suddenly a mesmer does 0 damage – as people conditioned by the condition PU would lead you to believe. Look at osicat’s PU power build for instance – yes stealth means you will be losing the point if fighting an enemy on it, but the enemy will likely die if they just sit there and don’t fight back. Only crazy bunker builds will at best force the mesmer to run after another point, or take so long to die as to waste plenty of time where points are ticking over for their team.

What works well is to lockdown/cc the mesmer when outside of stealth, and deal damage in bursts – difficult given all the stunbreaks. Of course, well played heavy condition classes also pose a huge problem.

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I don’t have much experience with guardian, but since I play a PU hybrid I can give you a few suggestions about the areas where I have trouble or perceive my own weaknesses to be, and places you should focus your attention.

1. Practice, practice, practice getting good at telling the real player from the clones. The real player will move erratically, toss his hands in the air to cast spells, and especially, dodge. Clones never dodge. If you get the mes down on health, also pay attention to health bars as clones usually have low health and so are usually either full or close to empty. If the player is using signets these also appear only when the player is targeted, though a lot of PU mesmers don’t use them.

2. Mesmers are weak to conditions in general and many PU mesmers only have condition removal on torch skills. Though I think applying conditions is not a guardian forte.

3. PU mesmers do a lot of their own damage via conditions. Stock up on condition removal, and you greatly remove their ability to do damage.

4. Unless they take utilities for the purpose, mesmers are weak on stunbreaks. Nearly all PU mesmers run Decoy, but that’s just one break every 40/32 seconds. Stunning them breaks up their routine. I have a lot of difficulty against necros using fear, engineers that blow me up, (good) stunlock warriors, etc.

5. Most PU mesmers have poor mobility. If you aren’t fighting for a capture point, moving around a great deal will mess them up, as they can’t chase very far, most don’t have swiftness, and many phantasms get messed up if the opponent is moving quickly.

6. Sometimes you may be better off fighting on a cap point just to decap rather than capture. If you pressure a PU mesmer he will have to use stealth, and it’s pretty easy to get the point decapped as that takes only 5 seconds. Keep up the pressure and you may take the point without even killing your opponent.

7. Many PU mesmers are substantially tougher in a 1v1 than a 2v1. Bringing a friend even for part of the fight can make a big difference.

Hope that helps a bit.

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Razamatazz.9628

Razamatazz.9628

Clones also don’t have food buffs, nor do they strafe. Scepter and staff clones will not move very often, so if you haven’t broken LoS and you see the person moving around a bunch with a ranged weapon it’s likely the player.

Another suggestion would be to build a PU style mesmer and play with the skills that make them go invis to help you understand which ability the may have just used and when to expect them to pop back up.

Lydeah – 80 Mesmer
Lorynne – 80 Guardian
[PB] – NSP

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

@mrauls, Hi mate

Hope I can help you somehow, best way for me is usualy to post a video to ilustrate what I mean. The PU I assume you mean is the condition verison? I have acondition build called Condition Cat, to fight this in battle/del as a Guardian is accualy not very easy, you need to maximum the CC and try to dodge everytime you hit a block from the cepter (this happens every ~10 sec).

I here show a video, first part is a 2 vs 1 duel, me versus 2 guardians, both have the best possible gear lvl at the time inc Legendarys.

As you see there is a rythm in PU condition mesmers gameplay, if you undertand this and get a feeling for it you will take alot lesser dmg. See the video, and share your thoughts and I think I better can aswer your questions.

/Osicat

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Debuti.6017

Debuti.6017

just run away, unfortunately we cannot go after you hehe

PU mesmers cannot be defeated in a 1 vs 1 situations,( maybe necros and some talented condition thief’s can),

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Entioch.6594

Entioch.6594

Walk away, as a guardian your melee is all cleave, you will do nothing but spam weakness on yourself endlessly with that, and any decent mesmer will walk behind clones or strafe to avoid scepter, unless your very glassy and the mesmer is very bad it’s gonna end up being a counter for you.

Hidden Sin[ONI]
ERP guild looking for members.

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

I don’t play guardian myself. But as a mesmer if I lose against condi PU mesmer it’s usually my own fault for not being able to turn off my Aggressive/Passive switch to passive. I play lockdown and shatter builds a lot, and sometimes it’s hard to let go of the aggressive play.

But yeah, IMO the key is semi-passive play against condition PU. Make sure you’re not hitting clones and avoid the scepter #2 block. Although the situation may look intimidating, the 20/20/30/0/0 condi build is generally poor at attacking. If you get overwhelmed you can just back off to lick your wounds and there’s very little the mesmer can do about it.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

Fighting a PU Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I’d suggest not 1v1ing a build designed solely for 1v1, unless you’ve designed your build to 1v1 as well.

As most have said, just move on. They can’t follow and will be destroyed in group fights.