Finally left mesmer and not regretting it

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

I played mesmer and only mesmer since GW1, I only played GW2 to play mesmer, but finally, sadly, the treatment of the class by Anet was too much and I decided to make a new main. 50% nerf to alacrity. Just seeing that after everything else, I don’t care if it was justified (it wasn’t), that was just the last straw. I chose druid, the new healing element seemed very fun.

I have to say, I wish I had rolled druid as soon as HoT released. What an amazing experience, to have my abilities just work, to be able to do decent dmg, and aoe dmg on top of that, without tons of effort and timing. Yes I still have to deal with pet AI, but at least my pet is just there doing dmg and basically functioning without disappearing when an enemy dies etc.

I’m now playing a class where everything just basically works. I don’t feel OP or UP, it seems pretty solid against any other class I run into roaming. I’ve gotten beat, and I’ve won, and each time it felt fair. The whole experience is in such stark contrast to mesmer. I haven’t looked back really, but looking back now the crap I had to deal with as mesmer was mind blowing. The nerfs, endless and mindless nerfs. The bugs, so many bugs never getting fixed, or better yet, new bugs being created!

When I work hard to do well on my druid, it actually pays off and I excel. When I worked hard on mesmer, I was able to sorta compete against some classes. If I worked really hard I could put up a decent fight against our counters (whichever those happened to be at the time…). Also nice is not feeling super OP, as we all felt during those rare few minutes before we were instanerfed back into oblivion. The trying, the trying so hard and knowing I’m outplaying the other guy by miles, and watching myself get stomped by mechanics. Seriously, you all know how it feels, to lose because another class hard counters you so bad that at absolute best you have a 50-50 chance if you are on the ball and they suck. I have not felt that once on druid, not once. God I hate that feeling, beat by balance, it is so dumb.

Making this post now is kinda bringing it all back, fresh and frustrating as ever. I’m sorry that I couldn’t hang in there with you my former fellow mesmers, I just can’t punish myself any more. It is kinda fun now to laugh at the rare power mesmer as I easily out sustain the dmg they are trying so hard to putout, or just dance and walk away from the mesmer who thinks going condi will solve anything (hint: reroll reaper to play condi). I’m sorry it’s just sad. You don’t need to pay a company to abuse you to have fun. Mesmer could have been awesome, but to this day I think everyone still basically agrees that GW1 mesmer was better than GW2 mesmer, and a lot would agree it was better by far. I think that says it all. At least I don’t remember druid being a million times better than what I’m playing now.

I will say this: the mesmer community was cool to be a part of, as is to be expected; communal suffering binds people together. Good luck and fare well brave mesmers, hope the next buff up to functionality lasts longer than usual.

in Mesmer

Posted by: geekilo.8512

geekilo.8512

Anet did some uncalled for nerf on mesmer without any compensate. They nerf mesmer directly and indirectly. I stay with the class because i love mesmer, i have a little bit of hope, anet might get their kitten together and fix mesmer. Little hope because Anet was known to be a huge kittened-up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Main’d a druid at launch of HoT, sort of enjoyed it. But in the end, the druid is as much of a mess as the chronomancer.

ANet has no idea what to do with the specialization and it suffers from many bugs/flaws from the main profession.

Really, nothing but nerfs for druids and chronomancers.

I pretty much quit, didn’t touch the game in forever.

in Mesmer

MSFone.3026

Main’d a druid at launch of HoT, sort of enjoyed it. But in the end, the druid is as much of a mess as the chronomancer.

ANet has no idea what to do with the specialization and it suffers from many bugs/flaws from the main profession.

Really, nothing but nerfs for druids and chronomancers.

I pretty much quit, didn’t touch the game in forever.

Lot’s of nerfs yes, but in terms of basic functionality and being reduced to an almost unplayable state, I just don’t think anything comes close to mesmer. That changed briefly, slightly, with Chrono, but it soon became obvious that Chrono was an error on Anet’s part as they got right back to nerfing things into oblivion; in the end they succeeded not in removing the problem build they thought they had (chrono bunker), but in removing all other builds except that one. Classic.

Look at druid, you can play it bunker or zerker and do pretty well in either, you can also play it condi if you want. Then there is melee or ranged. Multiple different builds that all basically work on a level that most mesmer builds just do not. Look at mesmer: condi chrono is whats left.

There just is not an equivalence between the two, and I think making one seriously understates the kitten job Anet has done with the mesmer class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Unless you’re talking top-tier competitive team PvP, Mesmers are not “hardly playable” IMO. Yeah we’re not among the top 3-4 professions, but we’re no slouches either. The main problem is we’ve been reduced to pretty much 1 strong build (Condie Shatter), and maybe 1-2 somewhat functional power builds, and of course our Utilities continue to carry us (Portal & Moa/GW).

They overnerfed Bunker for sure, and didn’t give compensation to Power Shatter, which is now woefully inadequate post-HoT as compared to the power-creep most other professions have enjoyed.

They then also overnerfed Alacrity and made boon-sharing a dangerous proposition by over-buffing Necros.

The focus on boosting the interrupt playstyle for Mesmers has not paid off at all, as the rewards still don’t make up for the rare and totally random occurrences, not to mention handing out Stability like Candy, killing the whole idea anyway. (Even with 4x Confusion, Mistrust is still terrible for a GM. In fact, it might be almost “OK” if it wasn’t stuck in the Dueling line. You can’t make a competitive Condie build w/o Illusions, and thus there is no room for Dueling unless you leave giant loopholes in your build.)

It’s all of these (and more) combined that have killed off various semi-decent builds we had before HoT.

I am frustrated about all of that too, but I can not claim -with a straight face- that my Condie Shatter Mesmer is weak or unable to compete. High mobility, medium defense, medium-high offense (depending on opponent), and the “old faithful” killer game-changer utilities with Moa and Portal.

(edited by Windwalker.7421)

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

MSFone I think what you say and experience would largely fall on deaf ears. There are people in this forum that think mesmer is the best thing since bread got sliced and do not play other classes even close to optimally.

I don’t pretend to be able to play all classes at peak in all game modes, I can’t but I have played half of them consistently and each time I switch to mesmer it’s like doing twice the work for less results. Sure I love it for WvW but even I can’t deny that outside of super troll dire perplexity (though trailblazer/torment runes I feel are better) stuff I feel like a one trick pony and I’m not a fan of “I make your numbers bigger” playstyle for PvE while fighting the horrendous phantasm class mechanic.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Sorry to see you go OP, I remember you’ve participated in these forums quite a bit in the past.

I’ve found a handful of mesmer builds that work very well in most situations you’ll face.

1. Condi shatter (as others have mentioned) – actually deemed meta worthy by most pro league players. There are a few viable variants and I’ve had great success with them.
  2. Paladin bruiser – I’ve mostly played this spec since the big amulet change and done well. This is strong in the current meta and a great addition to any current soloq team.
  3. Power shatter PU – This has to my surprise, been doing very well. I’ve built in literally every defensive mechanic with chaos/insp and a vitality rune. You make up for the dom/dueling damage loss by adding a berserker amulet and it’s a ton of fun. You can carry pretty hard with this spec in soloq.

I understand your frustration but sometimes a little experimentation can net you a fun build to play.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

You really don’t have to leave a profession to play another profession in this game.
Especially with the expansion out, the skill floor has been significantly reduced as well for nearly every profession.

That being said, I really believe the current pvp meta for mesmer—condie shatter is pretty decent. It is actually the most enjoyable build I played with. I can play with the my two favorite weapons sword and staff(never liked condie mesmer before because disliking scepter). The build still has portal/moa making it valuable in both teamfight and skirmishes. It also has better 1v1 matchups compared to power shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Even as a dom mesmer main since gw1 (I was THAT guy), I find it really hard to play GW2 these days. I loved playing the game before the dumbfire and June trait revamp patches. Ever since then it has gone progressively worse. After HOT, which severely reduced the skill of all classes and increased the power creep to 11, I lost motivation to play my mesmer. I only play now just to see if the game is worth coming back to (Which it isnt for me atm). A real shame considering what this game could have been.

I really miss the old days of 20/20/30 CI mesmer. It was so much fun to play that spec, especially with my way of playing it

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Weaksauce – Quitters will never get ahead in life.

yeah gw1 mesmering was alot of fun with hexs and punishment.

I tired different classes once… the number of mistakes you could make and still walk away was like condi pu without having to trait for it. I can’t live in that world, rather my terribleness be show flat out.

Best of luck with whichever class gets you to where you think you should be XD

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

I’m slowly coming to same resolution.

I am pretty much fed up with ANet’s idea of game balancing. It’s obvious it will never change/improve. I’m just really starting to realize it.

“The Division” launches tonight, between that, Witcher 3 and Rocksmith 2014. I’ll stay busy.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Even as a dom mesmer main since gw1 (I was THAT guy), I find it really hard to play GW2 these days. I loved playing the game before the dumbfire and June trait revamp patches. Ever since then it has gone progressively worse. After HOT, which severely reduced the skill of all classes and increased the power creep to 11, I lost motivation to play my mesmer. I only play now just to see if the game is worth coming back to (Which it isnt for me atm). A real shame considering what this game could have been.

I really miss the old days of 20/20/30 CI mesmer. It was so much fun to play that spec, especially with my way of playing it

Lol i read and found myself agreeing and then i saw that it was you who posted it. Anyway, i agree, only for me it’s old classic double ranged shatter instead of ci mesmer.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

MSFone.3026

Well if I hadn’t left already, this post would have made me. Sad to see pretty much a legend retire. All things come and go, the good times in mmo’s maybe more so.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Well if I hadn’t left already, this post would have made me. Sad to see pretty much a legend retire. All things come and go, the good times in mmo’s maybe more so.

That actually makes me really sad. I didn’t realize I was a legend :o. In fact, I was actually terrible in the beginning of gw2. I decided to get better to prove people wrong that were always laughing at my ideas/me. I was a big wvw theorycrafter back then, so I had a lot of wacky ideas. Some of them like venom share and corrupt boon spiking stuck, but most of them were really bad lol.

On the topic of other games, I’m sorta looking for new games to play. Any advice?

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Lol i read and found myself agreeing and then i saw that it was you who posted it. Anyway, i agree, only for me it’s old classic double ranged shatter instead of ci mesmer.

You do love your double ranged shatter. Maybe sometime if we are both on we should an old school duel because why not

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

My main 3 classes have always been ranger, engi, and mesmer (in that order) and I have nearly 2k games played across the three in PvP.

In the current gamestate power mesmer has been nerfed into the ground and not worth using, I agree with this 100%. Druid isn’t much better due to the consistant nerf and HUGE dependency on staff or aoe regen just to use our new specialization mechanic (and being pigeon holed into a bad weapon or shouts isn’t fun). Engi by far got the best deal of the 3 with the extreme condi cleanse, huge damage mitigation, aoe stealth spam, etc.

Not the mention the HUGE list of both ranger and mesmer glitches that have exsisted since launch and has never been touched on. Anet has no clue how to balance and I only play the game for PvP. Due to PvP being my focus I’ve basically quit playing altogether and only log in and only play 3~4 games a week max due to the terrible game state.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

That actually makes me really sad. I didn’t realize I was a legend :o. In fact, I was actually terrible in the beginning of gw2. I decided to get better to prove people wrong that were always laughing at my ideas/me. I was a big wvw theorycrafter back then, so I had a lot of wacky ideas. Some of them like venom share and corrupt boon spiking stuck, but most of them were really bad lol.

On the topic of other games, I’m sorta looking for new games to play. Any advice?

I plan to check out Shroud of the Avatar when it’s released.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Currently playing Path of Exile, they just released a new expansion. PoE obviously isn’t for everyone though, but it’s fantastic if you like that sort of game.

I’ve been playing a good amount of Blade and Soul lately. The game is decent, but has a very long laundry list of issues that add up to it probably being dead within a year. It’s definitely fun to play for now though, just don’t get too invested into it as it’s just a temporary distraction.

Fay has been enjoying Black Desert. It’s a bit of an odd game, but sorta fun. It just lacks any sort of PvE endgame though. I haven’t seen the open world PvP fights yet, but the combat system smells like it would make open world PvP really questionable. We’ll see though.

On the non-mmo side, I’ve been enjoying DA:I a lot, if you haven’t played it yet. Just don’t try playing a daggers rogue, the combat system doesn’t work well for it.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Currently playing Path of Exile, they just released a new expansion. PoE obviously isn’t for everyone though, but it’s fantastic if you like that sort of game.

I’ve been playing a good amount of Blade and Soul lately. The game is decent, but has a very long laundry list of issues that add up to it probably being dead within a year. It’s definitely fun to play for now though, just don’t get too invested into it as it’s just a temporary distraction.

Fay has been enjoying Black Desert. It’s a bit of an odd game, but sorta fun. It just lacks any sort of PvE endgame though. I haven’t seen the open world PvP fights yet, but the combat system smells like it would make open world PvP really questionable. We’ll see though.

On the non-mmo side, I’ve been enjoying DA:I a lot, if you haven’t played it yet. Just don’t try playing a daggers rogue, the combat system doesn’t work well for it.

I’ve heard of POE before. Seems like a diablo-esque game that I never really tried but im sorta interested in it.

Black Desert I will hold off on for a bit.

I have dragon age on my xbox and beat everything on nightmare. Fun game.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I’ve heard of POE before. Seems like a diablo-esque game that I never really tried but im sorta interested in it.

Yeah, PoE is diablo-esque, so if that’s your type of thing it’s fantastic. If it’s not your type of thing, it’s awful xD.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

Yeah, PoE is diablo-esque, so if that’s your type of thing it’s fantastic. If it’s not your type of thing, it’s awful xD.

Might as well give it a shot then!

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

I do like Blade and Soul. It has an interesting combat system and I do like the artistic style.
It reminds me of Jade Empire (still on Steam).

in Mesmer

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

well since you guys are talking about the true “meta” game for mes now

anyone played BDO ?how about the actual combo and fight with player and AI .

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

if i stopped playing mesmer i would feel good too, playing this broken class every day would make me feel dirty

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Mesmer

musu.9205

if i stopped playing mesmer i would feel good too, playing this broken class every day would make me feel dirty

you are worse than dirty you know , so at least its improvement for you . enjoy

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Lexander, I’ve got an order of fries to go with that salt of yours.

@musu: BDO combat is ok, but not great. It’s sorta messy in the sense that animations are very flashy with a lot of…mess. It’s not crisp and clean, and so can make actually understanding what you’re doing somewhat tough. Additionally, a lot of the skills seem to lack character. Many things just seem to be another way to deal damage with a different animation, but without any sort of real distinguishing characteristics.

Enemies I’ve seen are very simplistic. I’ve been overall unimpressed by the PvE design so far. Most enemies are just very simple with simple attacks and ai. Questing doesn’t give exp, so your only means of leveling is actually killing stuff, and this ends up being somewhat grindy eventually.

I’ve yet to experience any PvP, but I have a gut feeling that with the amount of graphical overload from all the skills, it’s going to end up as a big blob of skill effects that you can’t see anything around.

@Rylock: Be warned, the PoE learning curve is exceedingly steep and you’ll probably die a lot. Don’t play hardcore unless you’re ok with losing your character fairly often.

in Mesmer

musu.9205

@Fay.2357 thanks for the info , i wished butguess i will stay away from korean mmo as usual .

in Mesmer

Lexander.4579

nice try to make me play mesmer, but if i wanted unfair advantage i’d rather play rev, at least melee class is more interesting

in Mesmer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

nice try to make me play mesmer, but if i wanted unfair advantage i’d rather play rev, at least melee class is more interesting

I don’t know what your problem is, but you need to go see a proctologist. You are just about at the top of the charts for the worst case of kitten ever. I don’t know if there is a single mesmer thread you haven’t QQ on. Stop being a baby, go get potty trained, and stop bothering us. We aren’t interested in babysitting you.

in Mesmer

Lexander.4579

I don’t know what your problem is, but you need to go see a proctologist. You are just about at the top of the charts for the worst case of kitten ever. I don’t know if there is a single mesmer thread you haven’t QQ on. Stop being a baby, go get potty trained, and stop bothering us. We aren’t interested in babysitting you.

there is ton of mesmer threads where i didnt post but i understand you are blinded with hatred towards me for spreading the word about that broken class

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Yeah, but the ones you do post in instantly acquire incredible levels of salt.

Seriously, I’m curious as to what you think you’re accomplishing. You’re not ‘spreading the word’, you’re turning yourself into a laughingstock. Even non-mesmers know who you are, and chuckle whenever they see your name because it’s a guarantee that a salty post of epic proportions is coming up. Do you realize how comically immature all your posting is?

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

Don’t feed the trolls.

in Mesmer

Lexander.4579

Yeah, but the ones you do post in instantly acquire incredible levels of salt.

Seriously, I’m curious as to what you think you’re accomplishing. You’re not ‘spreading the word’, you’re turning yourself into a laughingstock. Even non-mesmers know who you are, and chuckle whenever they see your name because it’s a guarantee that a salty post of epic proportions is coming up. Do you realize how comically immature all your posting is?

so you are some sort of community ambassador to speak for everyone? nice

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoser.7245

Zoser.7245

Is sad see the state that we have reached today. The threads itself, the mood among those that still are here, etc.
I’m still testing new games out there, if you search in google “cooperative games”, you can find an interesting web with a lot of alternatives.
About our game here, I finally builded my scrapper with ascended gear and oh my… this week I dedicated one whole night in WvW really shinning. Remembering myself the best days roaming with my mesmer. But with a substantial difference. You can play in GvsG optimally, roaming, solo things when needed, all in one. The kits and utilities make you really versatile, even you can change the behavior of your build changing only two traits on the fly, incredible. Make your own useful combos all the time invaluable. I wish that too for mesmers, kitten kitten ******….

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I think the real question here is why is a thief complaining that mesmer is broken. A good thief completely shuts down a mesmer.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Lexander.4579

I think the real question here is why is a thief complaining that mesmer is broken. A good thief completely shuts down a mesmer.

i think “comparing” fits here more than “complaining”

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

i think “comparing” fits here more than “complaining”

I’m not sure you’ve got a solid grasp of the meanings of those words.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoser.7245

Zoser.7245

Pick a Profession

Next you’ll choose a profession for your character. While each profession has its own set of exclusive skills, which gives them each a distinct playstyle, they all have a wide range of abilities that makes them versatile and self-sufficient. ( no comment)

Mesmer

Magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon, mesmers use powerful illusions, clones, and phantasmal magic to confuse and distract their foes. (no comment)

“Play your way”
lol

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

True.. only the bad thief players looking for easy kills are complainers. The good ones shuts down pretty much all classes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dirtyrascal.1023

Dirtyrascal.1023

True.. only the bad thief players looking for easy kills are complainers. The good ones shuts down pretty much all classes.

No he doesn’t. Yes a thief can blow you up if you’re sleeping at the wheel, and is certainly a threat… but to suggest Thief hard counters/shuts you down is really a L2P issue on your part.

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

^ Or L2P your part!? It’s really tomatos tomahtoes.

The truth lies probably somewhere in between the extremes, so I’d say we’re pretty balanced with each other and that’s what my experiences have been as well. The riff-raff gets taken out like the trash with Condie Shatter. If all they do is mindlessly spam, and get caught off guard just when you lay a shatter combo on them, they melt before your eyes so fast that I know why they’re here to whine about Mesmers.

However, you run into a thief player who has as much time on his thief as I do on my Mesmer, and it’s a totally different story. I lose plenty to good Thieves, often embarrassing defeats too where it seemed like I couldn’t get them below 75% health. Some can also kill you so fast that anything short of an F4 will 100-0 you in the blink of an eye. The Merc Condie/Shatter is simply not bunker, if you think it is, a good Thief will show you why it isn’t.

Some days you get the Bear, and some days the Bear gets you. Seems quite balanced to me. It’s sadly typical though of FoTM Thieves to assume that any class that can beat them is OPd, and cry for nerfs on a MB rather than L2P.

in Mesmer

Posted by: RIEen.9473

RIEen.9473

Yea, a great thief is about the best in the game at instant death on anyone but a warrior, who can take the first hit and live to hit back. I have died a lot of embarrassing deaths to great thieves. I have an alt thief and I’ve got to say I don’t know how they do it. I think it’s one of the hardest to learn professions that has the highest ceiling. I’ve beat a lot of average/bad thieves with my mes running several builds. Power Phantasm, Condi Shatter, PU Roamer. I’ve had a lot of long fights that feel epic against just about every profession running several builds. Now I’m running a build based on the Chronophantasma Shatter meta and having a blast. When I run my warrior or necro (other two mains) they are almost mindless. (GS2,GS1, swap, S1, F1, swap GS2…..). I love jumping in the mesmer and having so many crazy skills and traits to play with. Swapping traits and I use almost all weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

I plan to check out Shroud of the Avatar when it’s released.

I will be returning to my roots of online gaming as well.

Long live Lord British

in Mesmer

Windwalker.7421

^ I hear ya, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that LB was playing off the completely irrational nostalgia we have for UO.

They’re trying to sell you on the idea that they can create a perfect sandbox game for both safe play (RPing), and hardcore PvP (and PKing), but after so many years and so many titles later, I’m just too jaded to believe you can combine the two.

You can create a sandbox for the wolves and one for the sheep, but mixing the two inevitably leads to the wolves killing off the sheep and being left with a game full of wolves again. That is what UO was, and it was amazing, but these days you’ll never lure the sheep into a game that isn’t 100% consensual. The market just offers them so many other safe places.

I always found it a bit ironic that people always say they want epic PvP battles in an MMO, but there was nothing more epic than being an anti-PK in a 100% open sandbox game overrun by PKs, thieves, cheats, liars, and scammers. It was beautiful! God I miss those days. Real struggle, real emotions, tangible good and evil all around you.

Sorry, I digress….

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Mesmer is not bottom tier. The world has not ended. Tangentially speaking, based purely on my experiences in this second season, Mesmer > Druid.

May Lyssa bless you in your adventures both in Tyria and The Mists!

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve found mesmer to be a bit of a mixed bag as well.

Hardest part is that the quality of the class seems to swing wildly between updates. Pre-HoT, there was a period where my mesmer seemed to just plain melt face with mantras and phantasms. They had been buffed, but then they were nerfed, and the mesmer felt bad.

HoT Launches. Suddenly, I have a hard time doing anything other than my mesmer. That alacrity, those wells, that quickness spamming, I was a miniature chainsaw that spawned and made other players into chainsaws. My phantasms were suddenly safe. The second that HoT launched, mesmers were on top of the world.

But then nerfs, nerfs, and more nerfs. Now, it only feels like my mesmer contributes on rare occasion. I’m still running that ole well + quickness + inspiration signet build, but I’m not sure that it is the best build anymore. I’m hoping that other skills (particularly the auto attacks) will receive buffs to balance things out a bit more.

I deleted mesmer once before. Now I have a different mesmer. But, this time I’m just going to keep it around. Particularly because I have full ascended gear for him, but also because the next inevitable upswing is coming eventually.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

^ I hear ya, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that LB was playing off the completely irrational nostalgia we have for UO.

They’re trying to sell you on the idea that they can create a perfect sandbox game for both safe play (RPing), and hardcore PvP (and PKing), but after so many years and so many titles later, I’m just too jaded to believe you can combine the two.

You can create a sandbox for the wolves and one for the sheep, but mixing the two inevitably leads to the wolves killing off the sheep and being left with a game full of wolves again. That is what UO was, and it was amazing, but these days you’ll never lure the sheep into a game that isn’t 100% consensual. The market just offers them so many other safe places.

I always found it a bit ironic that people always say they want epic PvP battles in an MMO, but there was nothing more epic than being an anti-PK in a 100% open sandbox game overrun by PKs, thieves, cheats, liars, and scammers. It was beautiful! God I miss those days. Real struggle, real emotions, tangible good and evil all around you.

Sorry, I digress….

Cause maybe the force who propelled this genre of video game realizes that the true purpose of an MMO has been lost? If you remember thier mantra was always creating an alternate world for players and this stays the same with Avatar. So him appealing to that UO nostalgia is honestly him responding to the abyss that current MMO games have left us.

As for wolves and sheep. Yeah you are right but the coddling of players needs to stop. We’ll see if it works for them.

As for it pertaining to this game we should prolly stop before infractions hit us.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Mesmer is not bottom tier. The world has not ended. Tangentially speaking, based purely on my experiences in this second season, Mesmer > Druid.

May Lyssa bless you in your adventures both in Tyria and The Mists!

Yeah condi mesmer is actually top tier at the moment. The reason i ‘quit’ is because condi mesmer is boring as fak, not because it’s weak.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on