Fixing Mesmer: IIWAD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Mesmers are not viable in the meta. Their primary issues stem from Thieves being the Apex Predator for roaming, a super-heavy bunker meta, and slow out-of-combat movement.
The following are a list of changes I would implement to make Mesmers viable, if I were a developer.

Domination
Ilusion of Vulnerability: Removed
Dazzling: Moved from Master minor trait to Adept Minor Trait.
Empowered Illusions: Moved from Adept Major to Master Minor Trait.
New Adept Major Trait: Arresting Influence Successfully blocking an attack grants might you might (3x, 5 seconds) and burns your foe (1s).
Reason: More build diversity (lockdown, signet, condition) without sacrificing Phantasm damage. Extra damage is warranted given the heavy bunker meta.

Dueling:
Protected Mantras: Removed
New Trait: Expeditious Mantras: Using a mantra grants the Mesmer and allies Swiftness (4 seconds, 360m radius, no cooldown)
Reason: Gives Mesmers on-demand swiftness which is good for PvP, PvE and WvW, but at the cost of a Mantra charge (and utility slot). This is a good trade and good utility. Could be used to vary up team structures.
Blurred Inscriptions: Activating a Signet now grants the Mesmer 1.5 seconds of Distortion and all active illusions 2 seconds of Distortion (up from 1 second).
Reason: Makes signet Mesmer more viable and provides situational use – can blow a signet to save illusions from short-duration AoE and the like.

Inspiration:
Vengeful Images moved to Adept Major trait. Now grants Phantasms 15 seconds of Retaliation
Vigorous Revelation moved to Adept Minor trait. Now grants 4 seconds of vigor per Illusion shattered
Reason: Mesmers need to dodge to remain competitive. Don’t care what ANet says. This move decouples crit-stacking and Vigor. Opens up build diversity a smidge. Vigor-on-shatter for a 5 point investment is good.

Weapon Skills:
Mind Stab: Stealthed targets hit by Mind Stab will be unstealthed (does not cause revealed)
Reason: Mesmers need some anti-thief tools. Mind Stab has a very small radius, so this would require some good timing/guess-work to pull a thief out of stealh. Good risk/reward.

Scepter Auto Attack: Ether Blast removed. Ether Bolt and Ether Clone damage scaling increased 15%. Clones created by Ether Clone attack with 33% of the Mesmer’s Weapon and Attack Power.
Reason: Scepter 1 auto-attack chain is terrible and the clones it generates are nigh-useless. This will increase clone generation speed and make Scepter clones useful. 33% AP is equivalent to about 2-3 bleed stacks – in-line with a Necromancer’s scepter attack.

Illusionary Counter: Blocks all attacks for 2 seconds. Blocked attacks unstealths opponents (does not cause revealed). Counter attack now controlled by Mesmer (up to 7 seconds after block).
Illusionary Riposte: Blocks all attacks for 2 seconds. Blocked attacks unstealths opponents (does not cause revealed). Counter attack now controlled by Mesmer (up to 7 seconds after block).
Reason: Provides Mesmers with better protection against attack spam. Thieves can easily spam attack to proc the counter attack and dodge it, basically making the entire ability a waste. This gives the Mesmer more sustain from spam and gives the Mesmer control over when to launch the counter-attack.

Phantasmal Warden: now fixed
Phantasmal Mage: Attack rate increased by 17% (from 6 seconds to 5 seconds). Damage scaling increased by 15%. Attacks can now bounce back to targets already hit. Max number of targets reduced from 5 to 3. Stacks of confusion reduced from 3 to 2. Attacks cause 1 second of revealed to targets.
Reason: iMage sucks with the nerfs to retaliation and confusion. Allowing the bouncing attack to bounce back increases the potential damage output of iMage for condition builds while increasing the damage scaling improves its performance for damage builds.

Temporal Curtain: Grants 12 seconds of swiftness. Refreshes swiftness (up to 12 seconds) when players cross the curtain.
Reason: This is really how it should work. :-)

Phantasmal Disenchanter: Increased HP by 33%. Cast time reduced to 0.75 seconds
Phantasmal Defender: Cast time reduced to 0.75 seconds.
Reason: These are way too long to cast. Disenchanter is good, but its HP pool is way too small. 33% increase means it will die in 3-4 hits.

New Elite:
Signet of Chaos: Grants the Mesmer and all Illusions: Swiftness (30 seconds) 5x stacks of Might (15 seconds) Your next 4 attacks apply a random condition to your opponent and a random boon to the Mesmer Cooldown: 60 seconds
Reason: With Warriors and thieves spamming Lyssa every 45 seconds, Mesmers need something equivalent. Additionally, swiftness uptime would be great for WvW and solo/hotjoin PvP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

1. I wouldn’t support any nerf to stacks of confusion from iMage. Even with this “nerfed” confusion, I can get it to tick for over 1500 with ease, so I wouldnt want it reduced to 2 stacks. Is rather see it upped to 5 stacks instead of what you proposed.

2. No need for all these stacks of might. I’d rather see more conditions over might.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Your changes have a few elements which I’d consider to be unnecessary.
That is to say, I’d nerf the element you’re trying to match, like easy access to Swiftness, Vigor or Lyssa-effect. Nerf them, they’re too available. We don’t need to do an arms-race in that regard, really.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Too much improved passive gameplay and give us counters to thiefs, while I think they’re an easy target for mesmers…

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Mesmers are not viable in the meta. Their primary issues stem from Thieves being the Apex Predator for roaming, a super-heavy bunker meta, and slow out-of-combat movement.

For me at least, the lack of AoE is another factor in my mesmer now getting very little gameplay time. It’s not that this is a primary issue, but in addition to some of the other problems we all know about, it makes it less viable in WvW and especially PvE.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

I actually like most of these suggestions. Here’s what I disagree with though:

It seems like an unnecessary buff to phantasm builds making Empowered Illusions a minor trait, but instead of removing Illusion of Vulnerability altogether I think putting it on Halting Strike would be a fine change.

I think Empowered Mantras is rather underrated and could be seen a bit more if it was an adept major trait, but that might be only my opinion.

Changing scepter like that would make it have far too much clone generation unless you slow the cast speed of Ether Bolt by a lot. Also I’m not completely following what you mean with the blocks. So our block would act as another classes shield block I get that. But A.net doesn’t seem to want mesmers to have access to much burning so I would suggest confusion. Also how the counters would work seems strange. So you wouldn’t have quick access to a blind or daze because you have to spend the first 2 seconds channeling a block. So whatever good those moves were going to do you has long since passed. That doesn’t sound like much of a counter to me. Also that seems like too defensive of a mechanic to put on non defensive weapons.

I also don’t see much point in Phantasmal Mage putting reveal on a target. I don’t think that mechanic should be given to AI. Although to me this is just a minor gripe because I want this game to be more technical than it currently is.

Now this signet is a good idea. The only thing that could make it or break it would be the passive. Also I think there should be specific conditions applied but I can see how making it random can help both power and condition builds.

Overall I think these are pretty great ideas. Kudos to you for sharing them with us.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Too much revealed stuff. Rather than giving us (or any class) access to revealed, tone down stealth (be it for thieves, mesmer, engis or even rangers) if needed.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

Too much revealed stuff. Rather than giving us (or any class) access to revealed, tone down stealth (be it for thieves, mesmer, engis or even rangers) if needed.

I would rather have counter-play than nerfs any day. Reworking entire classes and traits is not easy and frankly unnecessary to solve the issue.

in Mesmer

Thedenofsin.7340

1. I wouldn’t support any nerf to stacks of confusion from iMage. Even with this “nerfed” confusion, I can get it to tick for over 1500 with ease, so I wouldnt want it reduced to 2 stacks. Is rather see it upped to 5 stacks instead of what you proposed.

2. No need for all these stacks of might. I’d rather see more conditions over might.

Thanks for your reply.

Re #1) For group fights, the suggested iMage change could be a nerf to confusion stacks. However, for 1v1 fights, it would be significant buff, as the bounce would be permitted to bounce back. Right now the attack is not allowed to bounce back. Having it bounce up to 3 times could put 6 stacks of confusion on an enemy. If you popped Ether Signet, that’s 12 stacks of confusion every 5 seconds. Combine that with Scepter #3 and now it’s 17 stacks of confusion. (!!!)

Re #2) Regarding conditions vs might: I personally don’t want to see more conditions in the meta than there are now.

That is to say, I’d nerf the element you’re trying to match, like easy access to Swiftness, Vigor or Lyssa-effect. Nerf them, they’re too available. We don’t need to do an arms-race in that regard, really.

I agree with you. I should have prefaced this post with the assumption that ArenaNet wasn’t going to actually make any substantial nerfs, as that seems to be there M.O. these days.

Changing scepter like that would make it have far too much clone generation unless you slow the cast speed of Ether Bolt by a lot.

It would increase clone generation a lot. Right now clone generation on the scepter is very slow, and the attack chain is tied to the projectile. So you have to wait for the projectile to reach its target as well. At 900m range, clone generation is pathetic. I think 3 attacks on the weapon chain just makes it too clumsy. If the clone generation is too fast with a 2 attack chain, then slowing the bolt would be a good alternative.

Also I’m not completely following what you mean with the blocks. So our block would act as another classes shield block I get that.
Also how the counters would work seems strange. So you wouldn’t have quick access to a blind or daze because you have to spend the first 2 seconds channeling a block.

The way it would work is much the way it does now. Scepter 2 and Sword 4 would block for the full duration, unless you ‘double tap’ the button. However, if you successfully block, the button would change to the counter attack. That counter attack would remain available for, say, 7 seconds after the first block before returning to normal.

I also don’t see much point in Phantasmal Mage putting reveal on a target. I don’t think that mechanic should be given to AI. Although to me this is just a minor gripe because I want this game to be more technical than it currently is.

I agree. However, I think Mesmers need better counters against thieves than they do now. Ideally I would like to see Mesmers have a weapon that would make thieves panic if they saw a Mesmer, much the same way Mesmers have to panic whenever they see a thief with.. well… anything equipped. iMage just seemed like a good place to put the attack, and 1 second of revealed on a 5 second cooldown on a slow-moving projectile seemed like a decent place to put it. It would force thieves to pay attention to the iMage and perhaps prioritize killing it.

Now this signet is a good idea. The only thing that could make it or break it would be the passive. Also I think there should be specific conditions applied but I can see how making it random can help both power and condition builds.

Yeah, I really like the idea of a signet Elite on a relatively short cooldown. I agree about the random part, but hey – it’s a Signet of Chaos. It’s gotta be random. :-)

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think ANet is going to nerf thief stealth. Also, there’s only 1 revealed in all the changes. The others are simple de-stealths (with no revealed). And they happen if a stealthed opponent attacks while you are blocking, or on Mind Stab.

1) Thieves would actually have to be a little worried if they saw a Mesmer with a torch. That in itself is great. :-)
2) Thieves would get unstealthed if they attacked a Mesmer that was blocking. It would only punish players who are not paying attention.
3) Mind Stab unstealth is good risk/reward. The attack has a small AoE radius and a cast animation, so it would require quick timing for the Mesmer and/or a bit of luck.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Been playing my Mesmer since launch for over a year now but pretty much stopped playing my Mesmer in WvW because while they can be strong 1v1, they suck in zergs and are pretty much only used for our utilities (Veil, Portal and maybe Null Field or Feedback).

Their lack of AoE damage means that they tag less opponents which reduces the amount of bags and WXP that they get, meaning they also rank up slower.

My Warrior on the other hand does so much more damage, gets more loot bags, ranks up much faster and is way more useful.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Thedenofsin.7340

I totally forgot about the passive for Signet of Chaos… How about:

Reduces the cooldown of your shatter skills by 15%

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

I totally forgot about the passive for Signet of Chaos… How about:

Reduces the cooldown of your shatter skills by 15%

I think it kinda works. But man I feel that would make shatter builds so strong lol.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I don’t think Mesmers need a trait overhaul to be effective. I’d say they’re already a pretty strong class and with a variety of viable builds, no less.

I like the Elite, though. Maybe 10% instead of 15% on the passive?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

We need some kind of improved condition damage. I love Torment but we only can get it it we block. Why not with another skill? I would like to play a condition build with Staff & Scepter+Sword, I love the two blocks. But I miss either Burning or Bleeding / Poison. I would add another attack for this conditions. Scepter 1 having the chance to apply one of them would be great.

in Mesmer

Thedenofsin.7340

I don’t think Mesmers need a trait overhaul to be effective. I’d say they’re already a pretty strong class and with a variety of viable builds, no less.

I wasn’t shooting for an overhaul. Most of the changes were just moving things around a little.

I like the Elite, though. Maybe 10% instead of 15% on the passive?

10% sounds good.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Keyce.8137

Keyce.8137

Personally, I would rethink the passive of that elite skill. You’ve already got a trait line that reduces shatter CD the more points you put into it, and a signet that refreshes their CD when you use the active, and a trait that refreshes them when you reach 50% health.

Another 10% reduced recharge seems like overkill. How about… grants one boon for every clone you shatter?

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

Personally, I would rethink the passive of that elite skill. You’ve already got a trait line that reduces shatter CD the more points you put into it, and a signet that refreshes their CD when you use the active, and a trait that refreshes them when you reach 50% health.

Another 10% reduced recharge seems like overkill. How about… grants one boon for every clone you shatter?

I like that idea better actually, but the way you suggest it works would actually be more powerful than a 10% decreased cooldown. If it’s one boon per shatter skill though, that seems reasonable.

in Mesmer

Keyce.8137

I’d considered a single boon, but I thought that multiple ones might allow Might to stack a little. One Might is rarely enough.

Hmm… Perhaps you’re right, though. One boon per shatter, but with a long(ish) duration and no ICD. 10-15 seconds?

Of course, there would always be the risk that Aegis gets granted on the first shatter, then again on the second, for example.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

I’m thinking since it has no ICD probably like 6 seconds for each boon. Which seems short but it balances the defensive boons while keeping good uptime for utility/offensive boons.

in Mesmer

Keyce.8137

That sounds good to me.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

Lol well now that we figured that out, I want to go back to the counter suggestion. Which if you made that change would make countering a lot less intuitive and definitely a lot harder to time. Since that would change it from 2 button presses to 3 it just wouldn’t seem useful as a “counter”.

in Mesmer

Keyce.8137

Most classes have boon stealing or condition cleansing, or both. Aside from the small buff that would mark how many attacks were left after activating the active effect, this elite is pretty much already countered by classes or builds meant to deal with these things.

in Mesmer

Raunchy.6891

Most classes have boon stealing or condition cleansing, or both. Aside from the small buff that would mark how many attacks were left after activating the active effect, this elite is pretty much already countered by classes or builds meant to deal with these things.

I was under the impression that only s/d thieves could steal boons. Also that’s a bad thing for anything that gives boons, so I don’t see how it would make this suggestion not as useful.

As far as the condition cleansing goes, you would more then likely use this once you know the person has blown their cooldowns. Then you do a full condi combo and would activate the signet for an extra kick.

(edited by Raunchy.6891)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

At least we can clean conditions and boons quite well I think.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Making Mind Stab able to unstealth enemies seems to me very fair. It doesnt apply revealed, and isnt that easy to land.

I don’t think, we absolutly need a change to the blocks like illusionary riposte. The should simply be changed to getting revealed, even when you attack gets blocked.

in Mesmer

Keyce.8137

I was under the impression that only s/d thieves could steal boons. Also that’s a bad thing for anything that gives boons, so I don’t see how it would make this suggestion not as useful.

As far as the condition cleansing goes, you would more then likely use this once you know the person has blown their cooldowns. Then you do a full condi combo and would activate the signet for an extra kick.

S/D thieves are probably the only class that can boon steal aggressively. Mesmers have Arcane Thievery (or whatever the utility is called) that swaps a couple boons on a foe with a couple condis on you. It’s not as good as a thief, but our boon stripping makes up for that.