Focus wanted for speed buff... but gs/staff

in Mesmer

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

Hiya all,

So being newer on the mesmer and reading the forums here I notice that everyone feels the lack of speed. I have a thief and a ranger both with perm +25% speed from slot skill. So when I got to play my mesmer alt I feel SOOO slow. I find myself wanting to have focus offhand for the speedbuff but I really like combat with gs/staff combo.

I have found myself keeping a focus in my top bag just to equip and then toss back on the staff after i lay down the speed buff…. but occasionally i get caught by a mob with no mainhand on lol. Any advice from vets on how to not feel so slow without running into the above issue?

thanks in advance
oh btw i am currently level 29

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taerik.3405

Taerik.3405

Got nothing, sorry

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

Nope, sorry. There is a reason most of us run focus. Join us in crying and MAYBE ANet will do something. Maybe.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wasabee.5031

Wasabee.5031

Good luck on crying. Mesmer already cried a river, yet, I still see my mesmer is running as slow as a turtle!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Signet of inspiration and pray that Lyssa will award you the swiftness buff.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Delofasht.4231

Delofasht.4231

But we have Portal!

Seriously though, we were told we had some more reliable Swiftness coming in the Dec 14th patch. We got it, more reliable by being completely random, and a 2 sec buff on Focus swiftness duration. That’s as good as we’ll get on Mesmer until next month maybe, Maybe, MAYBE, but then again, maybe not.

“I’m sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.”
- Dr. Alfred Lanning, fictional character of great intellect.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

i got my first 2 swiftness buffs in a row together from Signet of Inspiration since the last patch yay me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Confessor.8957

Confessor.8957

Or hybrid approach and confine yourself to Centaur runes and Mirror healing with Inspiration. lol.

(edited by Confessor.8957)

in Mesmer

Sabyne.6329

Or confine yourself to Centaur runes and Mirror healing.

Not sure it’s available to him at lvl 29.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

Ok well thanks for the replies all. I thought I was just missing something. Usually the focus in a bag works ok.. maybe i can macro it so i don’t have to open the bag. The one or 2 times i get caught with my pants down not having a mainhand item is worth the time i save being able to equip staff back with 1 click lol.

in Mesmer

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

how do you macro? In other games you can macro stuff but here I never really saw an option to macro anywhere

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I use sword/focus it my main weapon set……so I dont got this problem

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thz.7569

Thz.7569

uh…swap to focus and immediately swap out. I’m not sure how you can just randomly get caught unless you’re blind.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

With centaur runes, signet of inspiration and the mirror heal I have pretty much 100% swiftness uptime without much effort.

And it sucks. I want to use divinity runes or ruby orbs, and I certainly want to use a decent heal at all times instead of the kittenty one. Signet of inspiration is also wasting a lot of space on my utility bar.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wise.8025

Wise.8025

Hiya all,

So being newer on the mesmer and reading the forums here I notice that everyone feels the lack of speed. I have a thief and a ranger both with perm +25% speed from slot skill. So when I got to play my mesmer alt I feel SOOO slow. I find myself wanting to have focus offhand for the speedbuff but I really like combat with gs/staff combo.

I have found myself keeping a focus in my top bag just to equip and then toss back on the staff after i lay down the speed buff…. but occasionally i get caught by a mob with no mainhand on lol. Any advice from vets on how to not feel so slow without running into the above issue?

thanks in advance
oh btw i am currently level 29

The following statement from ANet is rather misleading, but none the less – accurate.
Mesmer does share SOME of the stealth and SOME of the mobility that the thief enjoys. However what we get is short and unreliable or on long CD’s or even built into our elite skill.

Class philosophies:

Mesmers rely on illusions in order to accomplish their goals. They need illusions to accomplish some of their highest damage and control, and without the illusions, they become fairly fragile. They can deal with enemy boons better than most classes, but enemy conditions can often be a problem. They share some of the stealth and mobility that the Thief enjoys, but suffer from a low health pool if you get past all their tricks.

The answer is no. There’s no easy solution while leveling up a mesmer. Just suck it up and level like the rest of us did. When you hit 80 you can invest in some gear and runes that will put you on par with the rest of the class population for mobility.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

I find rune of air, staff, and blink be a enought speed buff. By rotate them i keep up with my group np exept thiefs who we use as scouts anyway. For short distance sprint we accualy wery fast and incombat manuver we shine. If you do a out of combat maraton I suggets bag svap focus thu. Ofc centaur give more speed but not worth the dmg lack when you get into combat.

Not the exact matter of the thread but I hope this can help some in movment.

/Cheers osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Czhang.1346

Czhang.1346

I do not really feel that speed buff is very important at lower level. I use main staff(chao storm has speed buff) scepter+focus(speed buff) . Signet of inspiration(random speed buff) should give you quite enough speed buff. (I do not think I need to run in high speed all time in game), I am a GS hater,lol

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Usually when running around WvW I use. Focus, Chaos Storm, and Blink to travel faster. Chaos Storm is only semi reliable. You can usually get 2 ticks of it and each is a one in 3 chance to get Swiftness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AmateurGod.5403

AmateurGod.5403

NO ONE LIKES YOU, FOCUS. WE’RE JUST USING YOU FOR SPEED.

@Staff users:
Are you kidding me? Chaos storm gives 3 seconds of swiftness and you have to wait until that boon comes. It’s useless for speed.

(edited by AmateurGod.5403)

in Mesmer

Sabyne.6329

Chaos storm is a troll skill to get swiftness tbh. I sometimes stand in it waiting for the full duration only to not get a single proc of it and think I’d better not wasted time with it.
More reliable swiftness he said, like praying to Lyssa to get swiftness with signet or inspiration or equiping a focus/getting runes which is just what we used to do before.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

There’s a guy whom suggested turning blink into a signet with the passive being 25% speed increase and the active being blink. I feel that would be the best change. We don’t lose any skills and gain more functionality from one we already have. Plus, we lose the speed boost for a while if we teleport so it already balances itself. The coding is already in the game. Come on Anet! Make it happen!

I’m also wondering why Blink doesn’t have vertical movement and why can’t I use it to cross gaps I can clearly make by jumping. Granted it’s already a useful skill but I would love for it to have versatility for jumping puzzles. I feel being able to move to a ledge high enough to jump from without taking damage would be fair.

in Mesmer

Sabyne.6329

There’s a guy whom suggested turning blink into a signet with the passive being 25% speed increase and the active being blink. I feel that would be the best change. We don’t lose any skills and gain more functionality from one we already have. Plus, we lose the speed boost for a while if we teleport so it already balances itself. The coding is already in the game. Come on Anet! Make it happen!

People traiting manipulation skill to have higher range would disagree with this change maybe.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

@Staff users:
Are you kidding me? Chaos storm gives 3 seconds of swiftness and you have to wait until that boon comes. It’s useless for speed.

And staff users will answer: use backward phase retreat. Works 70% of time(at least for me), but when done properly I feel like accomplished mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

Run with others who give swiftness. I don’t touch focus anymore and the only class I play with decent swiftness is ele…. the rest are carried and I like it that way. Besides, in wvw warriors are nothing more than banner kitten for swiftness and hammer cc bots. Gotta let them feel useful or they’d ask for buffs

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in Mesmer

Sabyne.6329

It’s true that 3,5s of swiftness 70% of the time thanks to a 35s cd skill is reliable enough. xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Reguarding staff and movment idd it have more ways than just chaos storm, phase retreat jump have extremly short cd, supprice many enemys when you dubble blink to them with swiftness and 1200y pistol stun followed by sword leap. I catched supriced ppl who /dance on a road 2000+y away feeling secure. Dropping a portal before 2 nd blink also give you a escape tool if you stomp somone in enemy land.

Swiftness is not the answer to everything tbh.

Also, staff and mesmers wealding them have mabye the best incombat movment in the game so tbh we cant have all imo. Just look at staff nr 2 who with some practice can be used to climb rocks and cliffs, drop a portal and suddenly with staff 2 short cd, portal blink and even sword leap (yes it can portal downhill, tested )you can juke up and down a cliff untill any mele rage quit ( done it just for fun).

For some advanced tactic including ingame combat movment and hillclimbing se my latest move " advance tactic" guide.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Focus= reflex both skills, a 5 person pull, a cripple and swiftness, a aoe damage that is high dam.

I love the focus, it best offhand weapon their is.

in Mesmer

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I know that there is a rune somewhere that increases movement speed and not just speed boost duration, but I can’t remember which one.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vewen.8016

Vewen.8016

@Staff users:

And staff users will answer: use backward phase retreat. Works 70% of time(at least for me), but when done properly I feel like accomplished mesmer.

To be honest, that’s an extremely annoying and daunting mechanic. Anet should not keep it in mind.