GS vs Staff for WvW

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: StormHawk.9862

StormHawk.9862

Which is better? What are the positives and negatives of each? I’m looking for mainly offensive play, and a lot of damage, though Im not sure which could do more damage. Staff with a Condition Build? or GS with a Power build? I heard that staff is defensive, though that doesnt mean it cant be offensive, though which would do more damage and overall be better in wvw?

(edited by StormHawk.9862)

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well greatsword offers little active defense despite its great phantasm, so outside of initating combat/zergs where nothing you do really matters, staff is far superior.

Staff works great either on condition builds or defensive yet bursty shatter builds, which gives us the surivability we need to not be free loot bags in wvw.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

I see what you’re saying, though I’m still unsure about which could do the MOST damage? Which is better for questing as well?

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shtos Vant.4182

Shtos Vant.4182

The greatsword does the MOST damage. You, however, will be dead too soon to enjoy it.
I really wanted it to be the better choice, but seriously, after the iZerk hits, it’s pretty much useless. In WvW, the other players are people, and they all know to close space. The greatsword doesn’t do much damage close up, doesn’t help you escape, and doesn’t help pin runners down.
The staff, on the other hand, has phase retreat to escape with, chaos armor (which helps a little bit), and chaos storm to help frustrate thieves. Do your damage with your other weaponset, because you’ll be alive long enough to actually play.

Having fun on Kaineng [SKY]

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

I got a 2950ish autoattack on a squishy elementalist today in wvw, I wouldn’t say that all gs damage comes from iZerker

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

@shtos, ok, I gotcha! though you said that we should use our off set for damage. I don’t really want to do this. I want to try to damage with the staff with a condition build and just use that. Would that be viable? Are staves able to/ capable of doing a good amount of condition damage if you have the proper condition build? Cause I wanna use my staff as my main damaging wep if, It’s capable of doing a good amount of condition damage. I’m pretty sure it would be, though I need someone’s opinion on how effective it’d be in DAMAGE in wvw. Would it pull nearly as much damage as a GS would?

Please anyone can answer. Would it be capable and if so by how much?

(edited by StormHawk.9862)

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

honestly, i prefer staff. it has saved me many many times when a zerg suddenly pushed out, phaseretreat is a big helper.
gs has the wave, but in the current wvw meta, everyone has stability up…

the phantasm on gs though is one of the most reliable ones in a zergfight, as it still manages to attack, before dying. the staff phantasm is way too slow.i only use image to get at least something that doesent die before i can shatter it.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Hi OP
Here’s my personal experience with staff and greatsword and hope it clarifies all your concerns.

Greatsword: straightforward to use, great dmg, but only good for power builds.

Staff: requires a bit set-up and ramp-up time to achieve peak dmg (I’ll explain later).
However, when it comes to versatility and support, Staff wins over Greatsword by a long shot. Staff is also good in BOTH power and condition builds, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Staff autoattack bounces provide you and/or your team with boons (might and fury), and inflict dmg conditions (good for condition builds) and debuff conditions (good for power builds).

Using staff, you can easily have 5 conditions consistently on your enemy, if you run a power build, that’s around 50% dmg boost to your iWarlock (not counting the vulnerability stack). On condition build, all the staff skills provide you enough protection to outlast your opponent as they die from your conditions.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

I usually swap between the two, honestly. I typically run a power based build, so if you’re in a condition-heavy build your choice will be a lot easier.

GS is great when I’m in a zerg and need to blast damage from a distance. It’s wonderful at sniping, the berserker is a power-house in crowded areas, and the on-target clone is perfect for a quick clone-and-shatter.

Staff is my best buddy when I’m in a smaller group or we’re up against a particularly challenging enemy. It’s more resilient, has more escape options, but seems to provide much less personal damage.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Also even after the various nerfs, glamour confusion builds are still probably our best zerg builds. The amount of pink numbers you can get is insane, and you can probably out damage a GS power build with glamour confusion due to the sheer amount of people it hits as opposed to 3-5 targets.

For a power build GS would be better for zergs, but I still dislike its level of AoE, its almost as awkward as necro axe/focus “AoE”.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nevhie.6079

Nevhie.6079

GreatSword=
+ All GS SKills can;t be blocked/ reflected by enemy anti projectile
+ Phantasm is AOE, DAmage is high but gambling
+ Have Interupt with fast Casting time
+ Slightly better for chasing (GS #1, GS#2, GS #4)
+ Can knock back Thief from thief house

- When Enemy meleeing u, Ur choice either 1. Take the damage 2. Blink 3. Decoy 4. Swap Weapon
- Weak when used on melee range except GS #2

Staff=
+ Insanely strong to stay survive from Melee Enemies coz Phase Retreat
+ Phantasm single target but hit nice
+ Have Interupt from Chaos storm but kinda random
+ Good on melee range coz Staff #1 bounce
+ Have Chaos armor, The blind/ criple is nice to control ur enemy

- Staff #1 and Staff Phantasm are projectile, so can be blocked by Anti Projectile
- Not good for chasing
- Can’t kick Thief out from thief house

Nevhíe
GreatSword Mesmer
Jade Quarry, Strike Force [SF]

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

GreatSword=
+ All GS SKills can;t be blocked

Only skill #2 cannot be blocked.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nevhie.6079

Nevhie.6079

GreatSword=
+ All GS SKills can;t be blocked

Only skill #2 cannot be blocked.

I wrote…

GreatSword=
+ All GS SKills can;t be blocked/ reflected by enemy anti projectile

By anti projectile not by Block Stance like Aegis or Warrior Shield #5 or Engine Toolkit #4. DUh!!
GS #1 = Beam. No travel time from User to target. Not considered a Projectile.
GS #2 = Projectile but have “Unblockable”
GS #3 = Long range Melee?
GS #4 = Melee Phantasm
GS #5 = Melee Knock Back

Nevhíe
GreatSword Mesmer
Jade Quarry, Strike Force [SF]

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@Nevhie: your words were ambiguous. Thanks for clearing that up.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

If you are solo roaming with a staff, great for 3-5 man groups you come across. However gs gives out more damage (depending on your build). You don’t necessarily have to go for power, condi’s are just as viable and if you do go condi, staff is the way to go. However the question of which is better, is debatable and probably will be for the rest of time. They both have strengths and weaknesses and it’s really the player who makes the difference. GL!

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

For some reason, though, when I use a GS, as of compared to a staff, with a power build, and verse the same pve enemy, I always seem to kill faster with the staff than the GS, even though the GS is supposed to do more damage…. I’m pretty sure I’m using GS correctly, then why is this happening? :/

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

And for those who said GS, isn’t it difficult to stay far range from enemies for maximum damage? How do you manage?

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

StormHawk.9862

I really hate to bump this but can anyone answer to the two questions above?

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

My guess is that you’re attuned to fight at mid to close range. At this range, staff can easily out-dps greatsword with might stacking from autoattack bounces.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For some reason, though, when I use a GS, as of compared to a staff, with a power build, and verse the same pve enemy, I always seem to kill faster with the staff than the GS, even though the GS is supposed to do more damage…. I’m pretty sure I’m using GS correctly, then why is this happening? :/

People cant dodge and generally have mediocre condition removal, plain and simple.

The major difference between the staff and the greatsword is that the greatsword has continous high damage auto-attack (comparably) and medium damage quick bursts while the staff is single high damage burst with an increasingly effective auto-attack depending on boons/conditions. The first is hard to dodge and mitigate. The second is easy if the enemy have counters for it (condition/boon removal). But it can also knock people off their socks if they neither dodge or remove conditions on themselves and boons on you.

The GS is also very dependant on a certain rotation to be effective which isnt always easy with 5 seconds skill lag. If you do 2, 4, 3, you should get all to connect at the same time and take about half the hitpoints of an enemy. That generally make at least one of their eyebrows raise and is the core of GS handling. If you engaged with the staff (which you should have) then the iWarlock attack should also connect at the same time while chaos storm is on top of them, or they should have suffered a shatter combo that already took half their hitpoints.

In terms of the actual question, GS vs staff in WvW… GS + staff. ’nuff said.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

GS is significantly better for zerging. Its the noobtube of gw2 so obviously better than staff

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: JoeKnowMo.9325

JoeKnowMo.9325

I really hate to bump this but can anyone answer to the two questions above?

Things could be dying faster in PvE with a staff (vs. a GS) because you’re fighting fairly close and getting boons or because you’ve got low power/high condition gear?

It’s difficult to stay at range with the GS unless you’ve got a group holding aggro or your illusions are keeping the enemy occupied. The cripple from the GS phantasm and from Crippling Dissipation should help keep foes at range while GS #5 can push back foes out of melee range. I’d recommend mainhand sword or a staff as your second weapon set if foes do get close which they will do in WvW.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

imo, if there will be no math, it wont be clear.. (most tool tips, time, are wrong..)
as we have slacking devos, i tried it.. i go hearth of mist first check co-efficients, and chek with fraps time records for co-efficient/time..

*all needs to be proved self calculation most numbers approximet numbers..

GS: 258.32 498.61
Avarage weapon damage 1047.5 [co-efficient 1=369]

1. Spatial Surge (~20times auto attack in 30sec) time=~1.50
    *0.31×3=0.93 0.62dps
    *0.27×3=0.81 [0.54dps] 298.9
    *0.22×3=0.66 [0.44dps] 243.54
    *0.18×3=0.54 [0.36dps] 199.26
    DPS: 0.36to………….0.62(single target)to…………….1.86(if targetted multiple to 3)
  2. Mirror Blade 0.70 to……………..3.73(if 3Bounce enemy)
  3. Mind Stab 0.85 to………….5.66 (if +4 targets aeo)
  4. iZerker 1.75×4=7 1.75 to…………………..7 (if x4 hit single)to………35(if hits +4 targets with x4)
  5. iWave 0.30 to…………….1.5 (if +4 targets)

Staff:
1048 [369.21] (20x #1 auto attack in 27sec) ~1.35 per

1. Wind of Chaos 0.30 [+1 bounce] 22.22dps
    DPS 22.22 to………..0.44 (i targeted 2)
    Cond: 123.52 to…..247.04……. +how many bleed stacks going +vulnerability
    #phase retreat
    Dps 123.52 to…..247.04……. +how many bleed stacks going +vulnerability
    #iWarlock 5.57 to………….. 12.54 (if target has 12 conditions)……..
  2. Chaos Storm 0.33×5 0.33to……….1.65 (pulse x5) to………8.25 (aeo targeted 5)
    condi damage dps 21 to …………525

exp: if i go to full dire set with master tuning crystal, no extras, no jewel ,rune, sigil, food, with no traited … condition damage goes 1004

1. Wind of Chaos
    Condition damage ll be increased %80

if go all pvt soldier with sharpening stone: ll be 1920 power
direct damage ll increase to %109

i ll not say which is better just see..

or go thief with short bow where u can do if u use gs in short range %50 to…………… %315 more damage dps
of if u use 1200 range of gs, thief shortbow ll be -%10 damage where he can hit 3 targets(there is not retriction gs line of piercing) as mean %172 more damage

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

(edited by Azo.5860)

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vaffelman.6954

Vaffelman.6954

The greatsword does the MOST damage. You, however, will be dead too soon to enjoy it.
I really wanted it to be the better choice, but seriously, after the iZerk hits, it’s pretty much useless. In WvW, the other players are people, and they all know to close space. The greatsword doesn’t do much damage close up, doesn’t help you escape, and doesn’t help pin runners down.
The staff, on the other hand, has phase retreat to escape with, chaos armor (which helps a little bit), and chaos storm to help frustrate thieves. Do your damage with your other weaponset, because you’ll be alive long enough to actually play.

20,9k Health
2,2 Armor
Spirital surge still does 4k damage at range….

Vaffelmannen / Vaffelman / Krigs Vaffel
We Be Chilling Core
GH

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

I use both! They work incredibly well together in the same build. The only thing I miss is swiftness, but swapping weapons quickly to drop a curtain while traveling is insanely easy by just double clicking in my inventory.

Check out the build in my sig, it uses GS/Staff

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

It’s the age old question from every rpg. More offense vs more defense. The best thing is to just have both, and change up whenever you feel like it.

GS vs Staff for WvW

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

20,9k Health
2,2 Armor
Spirital surge still does 4k damage at range….

i do 1.7m damage to rabbit with 20k hp 2400 armor

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”