[GUIDE] Comprehensive mesmer guide

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tjirp.9257

Tjirp.9257

All credits go to Prometheus0110 of Reddit!

This is a comprehensive mesmer video guide going over all weapon combos and a leveling build.

The guide is a on going progress, and is released in 2 parts currently.

The first part goes over weapons. Main hands, offhands, 2 handers. Including combo fields. Even experienced mesmer have a few things to learn in here, I know I did.

The second part includes a leveling build (and modifications specifically for dungeons), explains some of the available traits, some of the available skill slots the mesmer gains and explains all 4 shatters. Also includes actual gameplay videos.

Part1 – Mesmer weapon overview

Part2 – Leveling build, traits & skill explanation. Actual gameplay

Don’t forget to upvote the reddit thread!

(edited by Tjirp.9257)

in Mesmer

Posted by: stav.2574

stav.2574

When i saw how long the videos were i was expecting to maybe watch 10 minutes at a time but i was just glued to the screen just waiting for the next tip
i hope your planning on making more guides soon not just for the mesmer because that was very detailed and interesting guide
now all i need to do i roll a mesmer with your build in mind

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sista.1925

Sista.1925

Amazing and extremely helpful....THANK YOU!

Baby Sista
Listening to Prince.
IOJ>KAIN>FA….few stops in between and after.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrPrometheus.9246

MrPrometheus.9246

Hi, This is Mr. Prometheus – the creator of the guides. Thanks to Tjirp for posting them here.

I am going to be releasing more soon, hopefully part 3 (Utilities) before the week is over.

Thanks for watching!

in Mesmer

Posted by: djones.4751

djones.4751

Good work MrPrometheus. An inspiration to us all.

Dren Therasi, Fissure of Woe EU, author and theorycrafter of www.mesmermesmerised.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teep.5376

Teep.5376

Thank you very much, Mr. Prometheus. I really appreciate you taking the time to lay out your thoughts on the Mesmer. I learned a lot about a profession I already love. Also, big thanks to Tjirp for letting the rest of us know on the forums about your insights. Cheers.

Teep

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Wow, that was an eye-opener! I was very fuzzy on combo fields and finishers, this has clarified the subject for me tremendously!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlock.2461

Warlock.2461

A little write up in the video description about skills and traits order would be really appreciated. Other than that, this is really great, and I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this together!

in Mesmer

Posted by: dfscott.1740

dfscott.1740

Great stuff! I’ve been getting frustrated with my mesmer of late, and I now see I’m relying too much on the scepter. I always liked the staff better, but I was using it on mobs instead of my self/clones. Can’t wait to try these tips!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Talon.5462

Talon.5462

I considered myself a competent mesmer in PvE and have been putting off trait experimentation, having found a few I like.

Mr Prometheus’ videos have prompted me to step up my trait testing time table. I’m very excited to try his suggestions and see how things go.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for more videos.

As an aside, Feedback is one of my favourite skills and I am relieved to see it is still useful, even in Arah.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

Amazing post! Sticky?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tjirp.9257

Tjirp.9257

Amazing post! Sticky?

Sticky would be awesome so all can see

Most of the reactions here are the exact same reaction I had when seeing these videos. I thought I had a decent grasp of the mesmer, but as title says, this is comprehensive and shows all the small details. Such as proper staff use amongst other stuff

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheMouse.9746

TheMouse.9746

MrPrometheus, it’s official – I love you. Subscribed.

“Marauding? Marauder? I don’t know the word, but I’m ready to maraud!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Athea.8340

Athea.8340

Amazing guide, loved both parts, hope to see more in the future with different builds!

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Last night, I geared up and re-traited (lvl 35) and tried the methods outlined in the video – and I have to say, it’s much, much better than my previous haphazard method.

What’s interesting is that I was actually doing ok bumbling along, but it’s clear now that I was missing a HUGE aspect of the gameplay out by not really understanding how combos work and how to exploit them. Thus proving Anet’s idea that “you can play it how you want and you will function fine”, but “there’s more depth and precision if you want it”.

I’m going to transfer this knowledge to my other characters now too and think deeply about their combo synergies; now that I’ve twigged how important combos and their exploitation are to my Mesmer, I can see that they must be an essential part of the gameplay of every prof.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zoobaby.7804

zoobaby.7804

Last night, I geared up and re-traited (lvl 35) and tried the methods outlined in the video – and I have to say, it’s much, much better than my previous haphazard method.

What’s interesting is that I was actually doing ok bumbling along, but it’s clear now that I was missing a HUGE aspect of the gameplay out by not really understanding how combos work and how to exploit them. Thus proving Anet’s idea that “you can play it how you want and you will function fine”, but “there’s more depth and precision if you want it”.

I’m going to transfer this knowledge to my other characters now too and think deeply about their combo synergies; now that I’ve twigged how important combos and their exploitation are to my Mesmer, I can see that they must be an essential part of the gameplay of every prof.

Yeah combos are definitely huge. And in groups your finishers will work off of other peoples fields.

SBI native and Altoholic
[Rage] Smelly Tree Sap — Band Camp Babe — Bannned Character--Spooner

in Mesmer

Posted by: Skar Hand.5037

Skar Hand.5037

Just saw this, cant wait to get home from work to watch!!

I need to be able to dodge and leave a clone behind at work/home.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aan allein.4589

Aan allein.4589

Great guide. I subscribed. I watched about half the video. Can’t wait to see the rest. I’m only level 30 can’t wait to work on my traits more.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zakk.2468

Zakk.2468

Love this! My charr Mesmer is now awesome

Any male Asura I make will be named Zakk!
Proud player of Crusader, Arcanist,
Beastmaster, Shadowraider, and Shieldbearer Zakk!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Graedahl.8972

Graedahl.8972

I wish I could vote for this guide to be stickied.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rhyno.7084

Rhyno.7084

I wouldn’t want this stickied. A lot of the advice is good but the actual build itself isn’t that great, and it’s far from “comprehensive.”

The build is really schizophrenia, it’s definitely not amazing for dungeons, and maxing condition damage is extremely weak in group events.

The “I tend to not interrupt my opponents much at all” line really made me cringe. That’s a bad mistake in my opinion. The mesmer has some phantastic interrupts.

(edited by Rhyno.7084)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stagon.9236

Stagon.9236

Really enjoyed watching the videos. Keep up the good work!

in Mesmer

MrPrometheus.9246

I wouldn’t want this stickied. A lot of the advice is good but the actual build itself isn’t that great, and it’s far from “comprehensive.”

The build is really schizophrenia, it’s definitely not amazing for dungeons, and maxing condition damage is extremely weak in group events.

The “I tend to not interrupt my opponents much at all” line really made me cringe. That’s a bad mistake in my opinion. The mesmer has some phantastic interrupts.

Hi,

I made these videos – and I agree that SO FAR, this is not exactly comprehensive. However, I am currently in the process of editing the next video and will be hopefully releasing it tomorrow.

Agreed on interrupts – The build I showed in the second video was specifically for leveling up, and the weapon loadout and utilities I picked did not allow for interrupting.

That’s not to say, however that I won’t be covering a build that not only has interrupts in it but also is focused on that – but making these takes time. The overall goal is to cover as much as I possibly can, and go over several builds. Before we do that however, Part 3 will need to discuss Mesmer slot skills and their function, and how theyc an be utilized.

Anyway, just wanted to clear all that up. Thanks

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rhyno.7084

Rhyno.7084

Make sure to stress that slot skills can be changed between fights and that picking a slot skill “build” is silly.

So far my attention has been focused solely on level 80 play so I’ll be interested to see what you say about dungeons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: HandJobBob.5419

HandJobBob.5419

Hi, This is Mr. Prometheus – the creator of the guides. Thanks to Tjirp for posting them here.

I am going to be releasing more soon, hopefully part 3 (Utilities) before the week is over.

Thanks for watching!

Great job, and thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Venator.5780

Venator.5780

Great videos.

The mesmer is a late bloomer, and I think a lot of those that try it get discouraged by poor performance at the lower (<40) levels.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Johnnysquaw.1985

Johnnysquaw.1985

Fantastic work. Eagerly awaiting installment #3!

in Mesmer

Posted by: kartana.3769

kartana.3769

This did help a lot! Thank you!

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheMouse.9746

TheMouse.9746

Bump. People should see these before posting any “not working as intended” threads.

“Marauding? Marauder? I don’t know the word, but I’m ready to maraud!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mourtal.7941

Mourtal.7941

These clips are the most amazing and comprehensive descriptions available for the mesmer. I’ve always felt that I’ve been playing my mesmer “wrong”, ie, I could do better, and these videos are fantastic. Thank you!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xelion.3618

Xelion.3618

Woah every mesmer needs to see this guide, they’ll will finally understand the potential mesmers can reach! best mesmer guild I’ve read/seen hands down!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kesalin.5103

Kesalin.5103

I loved this guide! Thanks MrPrometheus for creating and thanks for TJirp for posting.

I have been rolling a Mez since the pre-launch beta opened and have loved every minute. I have been able to take down multiple mobs quickly and have been able to really support my team in PVP. Although I need a little work in sPVP.

So you can imagine my confusions stacking up (pun intended) once the forums opened and the Mez section was bombarded with words like “broken”, “needs work” and “lacks damage”. This was definitely not my experience with the Mesmer so I was wondering what others were doing.

Once I saw this video it confirmed for me that I was indeed on the right path. All of my traits were in the same lines, I was using the staff and using almost exactly the same abilities. I don’t have the same gear sets but mine are all precision / condition and at level 50 that is pretty cool. All in all I had a very heavy condition build, spaming clones for stacks and kitting mobs up good.

I would challenge all the nay sayers out there to do something else for the community rather than dump on someones post. If you have better builds, tips and ideas for mob strategy – let’s hear them – better yet let’s see them

Kes the Mes!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elessar.7186

Elessar.7186

MrPrometheus – thank you! These videos are excellent, and I think this will really help me be a better mesmer. I look forward to trying these out.

Also, I’m curious with the recent change to greatsword if you still would give it a B+ grade?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Parannoia.1609

Parannoia.1609

Hmm… I’m perhaps the only one about to go off on a random tangent completely unrelated to the current topic at hand…
But. If the guide that I haven’t seen yet is as good as you all say it is… and the gentleman who developed it happens to go by Mr. Prometheus on the forums…
Has no one else found his name to be very fitting?
Prometheus (in Greek mythology), being the wisest titan, was charged with making man, and then does the forbidden and gives man fire on top of that, then gets punished for it.
He is giving fire to you all, use it for good! (If the videos are that good, as again, I haven’t watched them.)

(Also, Mesmers have torches. o.o)

TL;DR: Prometheus is a fitting name if he’s sharing fire with us mere mortals.

tefached
Krank Haus, The Usual Crowd

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xfraze.1704

Xfraze.1704

Hmm… I’m perhaps the only one about to go off on a random tangent completely unrelated to the current topic at hand…
But. If the guide that I haven’t seen yet is as good as you all say it is… and the gentleman who developed it happens to go by Mr. Prometheus on the forums…
Prometheus (in Greek mythology), being the wisest titan, was charged with making man, and then does the forbidden and gives man fire on top of that, then gets punished for it.
He is giving fire to you all, use it for good! (If the videos are that good, as again, I haven’t watched them.)

I predict he gets a job at ANet. Unfortunately, the success of GW2 makes ANet “go corporate” and MrPrometheus just can’t keep up with the times. Despite his best attempts to keep the game true to it’s roots and all the classes too, as well as effectively communicate with us what’s going on, it all fails. In the end, he gets word of something big that will negatively impact the community and shares it with us. As a result he gets fired and blacklisted from the industry.

LOL MYTHOLOGY

in Mesmer

Posted by: Parannoia.1609

Parannoia.1609

I predict he gets a job at ANet. Unfortunately, the success of GW2 makes ANet “go corporate” and MrPrometheus just can’t keep up with the times. Despite his best attempts to keep the game true to it’s roots and all the classes too, as well as effectively communicate with us what’s going on, it all fails. In the end, he gets word of something big that will negatively impact the community and shares it with us. As a result he gets fired and blacklisted from the industry.

LOL MYTHOLOGY

I see what you did there… well done, good sir. B]

tefached
Krank Haus, The Usual Crowd

in Mesmer

MrPrometheus.9246

Hi everyone – I released part 3 of the guide and made an official post that I will continually update. Just wanted to let everyone know to check that thread from now on.

in Mesmer

Posted by: STRUDDY.5406

STRUDDY.5406

awesome information,well needed and well done.