GW2 tPvP | Icifyr (Shatter Mesmar) - [DESU] vs [iiii]

in Mesmer

Posted by: IceTenacious.4126

IceTenacious.4126

A very close match, I hope you guys enjoy.

Please watch on YouTube for 1080p and more information about my build etc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

1. You are left at a node alone. You should not be spec’d glass cannon. Therefore you kitten your team as a whole if you are the one guarding it. If you are guarding a node you should be able to 1v1, period.

2. You miss almost every blurred frenzy, please use clone swap for the immobilize first. You missed blurred frenzy a total of 7 times in the match. Missing that much damage can cost you the node, and in effect cost you the match.
@ 5:49 you blurred frenzied into nothing
@10:44 you blurred frenzied a target but he is behind you.

3. Sometimes the best constructive criticism is saying that you are not that good of a player, that’s reality. I forced myself to watch every second of this video to prove a point to you that YOU need to work on becoming a better player. That might not be what you want to hear but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

Dude, no offense but you’re terrible. How did you manage to get to R31 and still messing up like that?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drederik.5679

Drederik.5679

the blurred frenzy at 5:49 kept him alive as he was out of endurance and probably used it for defensive purposes.

the rest i agree with

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Will watch but before I just add in the part about bf, i tend to use it aswell as a defensive ability quite often if im low on energy for a dodge and want to spend 2 sec alive for some cd,s to wear of. also its a good way to avoid a backstab if you feel one incomming. So not al bf is a waste even if missed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyrm.5602

Xyrm.5602

Dude, no offense but you’re terrible. How did you manage to get to R31 and still messing up like that?

This is proof that grinding ranks is NOT a matter of skill, but time. I know a lot of people who just queue hotjoin with a thief and mindless spam, because that’s the easy way to gain rank quickly.

My Stealthy Thief:

http://tinyurl.com/adjw3ww

in Mesmer

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

What this guy said ^

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Ok seen and I throw in some ideas and reflections. Pls take the criticism in a good way and what some ppl say is accualy helping you be a betetr player even if its bad. i often feel I learn more of my misstakes than of my succeses and if ppl can point it out for me I bow and ty unless its pure trashtalking. I do btw in no way claim be the "best mesmer in the world or anything but i do think I see alot of things you can improve. and feel I can stand for it

The BF, yes as mentioned it can be defensive but in the vid I se several times when you can use it in both ways. You do NOT use pistol + immobelice 1st before the BF withc both is accualy abilitys that keep you alive aswell. A landed bf saves you dmg at same time as it delivers.

Movment, I see you walk back and forth but you need to be better to be “al ower the place” as its the way to play shatter burst mesmer. The sword swap, blink decoy staff 2 rolls etc etc al can be used and confuse + dmg enemy. You alos several times stand in fields of pain (AKA mage red rings) move out of them.

Cd,s: You do not use the chaos field and chaos armour everytime before swap to sword/pistol, this is a misstake. just look at 1st fight where you fight the mage. You have good abilitys on cd, then you swap to pistol and sword before throw them of and cause of this you take alot of dmg and die.

Pls stand in your own chaos fields mate, its one of the strongest defensive abilitys you have. Mage fight again in start if you had the field up and chained armour + standed in it I kinda sure you could killed him.

Elite. If I would do 1 base defense and end up in 1 vs 1 and 1 vs 2 siuations regulary I would use Moa. Time warp is better the more of your team that use it, so for a wvwvw team (like i run in) it can turn a whole battle. In a 1 vs 1 a moa can turn the whole battle in same way.

Just my feedback.

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

1. You are left at a node alone. You should not be spec’d glass cannon. Therefore you kitten your team as a whole if you are the one guarding it. If you are guarding a node you should be able to 1v1, period.

i am able to 1v1 though every situation turned into 1v2. the reason why i run glass canon is because of the amount of mobility from portal. i wasn’t able to fully show the capabilities of portal this game because they were constantly pushing our close point. the reason why most teams run mesmar on close point is because they are able to portal hold a point which frees up a player to push points. the only downside is if i am caught on a point with two people pushing i? will die quickly.

2. You miss almost every blurred frenzy, please use clone swap for the immobilize first. You missed blurred frenzy a total of 7 times in the match. Missing that much damage can cost you the node, and in effect cost you the match.
@ 5:49 you blurred frenzied into nothing
@10:44 you blurred frenzied a target but he is behind you.

at both of the times you linked i used blurred frenzy for it’s second purpose which is going invulnerable as i didn’t have heal up. i didn’t miss every blurred frenzy but i understand i could have easily clone swapped in? a certain situation and used blurred frenzy for the kill though i chose to use blurred frenzy straight up to deal damage as he was right next to me. next time i will just clone swap and kill him.

3. Sometimes the best constructive criticism is saying that you are not that good of a player, that’s reality. I forced myself to watch every second of this video to prove a point to you that YOU need to work on becoming a better player. That might not be what you want to hear but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

ok, if that’s what you believe i’ll accept being a bad player? if you can outline situations that i could have handled better from the video. i’ve already replied to your other comment and i think you lacked the understanding of what blurred frenzy was capable of and the? purpose of having a mesmar on close point in tournaments before you posted.

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

why shouldn’t i take offense to that comment? you leave a provocative message with no explanation on where i mess up.

also, i didn’t play mesmar to rank 31. i only played it at early ranks and then i quit. i played ele, mostly, to rank 31 and engi, ranger on the side. i play my ele a lot better and i can play any spec. maybe you should check out my other videos. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArqWQXjaCU i recently started playing mesmar again when my team wanted me to try close point mesmar.

tl:dr; don’t leave useless and presumptive comments that provide no constructive criticism.

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

the blurred frenzy at 5:49 kept him alive as he was out of endurance and probably used it for defensive purposes.

the rest i agree with

it’s same with the other time that he linked and what parts do you agree with?

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

Will watch but before I just add in the part about bf, i tend to use it aswell as a defensive ability quite often if im low on energy for a dodge and want to spend 2 sec alive for some cd,s to wear of. also its a good way to avoid a backstab if you feel one incomming. So not al bf is a waste even if missed.

yes, i agree.

Ok seen and I throw in some ideas and reflections. Pls take the criticism in a good way and what some ppl say is accualy helping you be a betetr player even if its bad. i often feel I learn more of my misstakes than of my succeses and if ppl can point it out for me I bow and ty unless its pure trashtalking. I do btw in no way claim be the "best mesmer in the world or anything but i do think I see alot of things you can improve. and feel I can stand for it

The BF, yes as mentioned it can be defensive but in the vid I se several times when you can use it in both ways. You do NOT use pistol + immobelice 1st before the BF withc both is accualy abilitys that keep you alive aswell. A landed bf saves you dmg at same time as it delivers.

Movment, I see you walk back and forth but you need to be better to be “al ower the place” as its the way to play shatter burst mesmer. The sword swap, blink decoy staff 2 rolls etc etc al can be used and confuse + dmg enemy. You alos several times stand in fields of pain (AKA mage red rings) move out of them.

Cd,s: You do not use the chaos field and chaos armour everytime before swap to sword/pistol, this is a misstake. just look at 1st fight where you fight the mage. You have good abilitys on cd, then you swap to pistol and sword before throw them of and cause of this you take alot of dmg and die.

Pls stand in your own chaos fields mate, its one of the strongest defensive abilitys you have. Mage fight again in start if you had the field up and chained armour + standed in it I kinda sure you could killed him.

Elite. If I would do 1 base defense and end up in 1 vs 1 and 1 vs 2 siuations regulary I would use Moa. Time warp is better the more of your team that use it, so for a wvwvw team (like i run in) it can turn a whole battle. In a 1 vs 1 a moa can turn the whole battle in same way.

Just my feedback.

yes, i should have used sword 3 2 instead of 3 which allowed him to dodge.

interesting combo, i will consider. do you know any other combinations that work well?

first fight was an engineer. ok, i’ll try to proc chaos armour off cd. the only reason why i stay inside the red circle is because it’s on point. if i get off point it will begin to cap. also, the reason why i lost, what looked like a 1v1, was because a caltrop thief joined the fight.

i like to use time warp in tournaments as usually people don’t push close point and my team has quick rotates so i portal my point and rotate mid then drop time warp.

so, do you know any other combinations that work well when attempting to juke?

(edited by IceTenacious.4126)

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

This is proof that grinding ranks is NOT a matter of skill, but time. I know a lot of people who just queue hotjoin with a thief and mindless spam, because that’s the easy way to gain rank quickly.

What this guy said ^

it isn’t proof? you presume that i only play one class. also, i barely play spvp except for 1v1s or team practice. i ranked up from playing tournaments.

anyhow, lets get back on topic; please only post if you have constructive criticism of my mesmar video.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

Hi again. Just as before I dont claim to be best ever mesmer or anything but I do ALOT of ppv and only as mesmer. Glad you ask this as I generaly often play a fast in fast out gmestyle with alot of juking. I try see the shatter mesmer like a rapier wielding fencer dueling a plate wearer. You kill him by slide in while avoid dmg then snap out again.

The sword 2 is wonderful for this as said an a good combo is to like said use before a burst. Another way to make it a bit more stingy is to get chaos field down on enemy, change to pistol, stun him IN the field then sword swap on him. This keep him 3-4 sec in the field for dmg + you get boons AND you get a chaos armour by leap in the field with the sword swap.

This can be donw with null field aswell.

for the juking it can be good to know that even if you deccide to shatter the swap clone ithe swap work a little longer, can be wery confuing and work as a extra random blink.

New staff ability, get phantasm + 1 clone on target, do a dodge roll againt target witch spawn a 3rd clone while phantasm dmg hit, as soon you in hes range in your roll you hit mindwrack ( who dont brake roll just do dmg) and as soon dmg applyed you hit staff nr 2 and get distance. A phantasm hit 2,3-5+ and a 4 clone shatter applyed, you have no dmg taken and enemy have 4 confusion and several blleds on him. On the side you have with new staff ability (24/10 patch) get kicked far away from target and if you rolled thru him you behind him + a clone spawned on him.

Just some tricks I tend to use. If you like have a lok at some of my vids, latest is a mesmer vs thief. Any critisims or questions feel free to ask/post.

Moa rocks

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

thanks, for your reply. i will try the staff 2, 5 → dodge roll → sword 2,3 + shatter. i don’t understand what you meant by the new staff ability (i haven’t played mesmar in a few days) but i will check it out this afternoon. also, do you play in tournaments or spvp; if you play in tournaments, what build and roll do you play? i will try to find your yt channel now. i’m not sure, i like the haste because it can be very useful in a lot of situations e.g. if i have a bunch of roamers (on my team) rotating to my point we end up with no stability so we have no problem downing people but stomping can be troublesome and then with my area haste we can easily stomp multiple people.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

I assume that’s Osicat’s stubborn way of referring to staff #2, which recently had its mechanics changed (ostensibly to fix the teleporting out of terrain bug). A good player is a flexible player, I’ll give him that.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

A lot of problems have been brought up with your playing in this video, which I agree with in all ways. For a shatter mesmer, you don’t really do a whole lot of shattering. I didn’t see you use mirror images a single time that entire match (maybe once or twice). The whole point of a shatter mesmer is to do a massive amount of fast burst damage while at the same time applying a ton of confusion. A great combo is getting 3 clones out in some way, use cry, optimally while close to get the 4th hit from yourself. Switch to sword+pistol use illusionary leap to get a clone and an immobilize. Immediately use mirror images + blurred frenzy + mind wrack to get an automatic 4 clone shatter + blurred frenzy damage.

Additionally, on the topic of utilities you never use, you never use 2 of your utilities. I know you took portal for specific mobility reasons. Unfortunately, the one time you used it was a total waste, and it became painfully clear by about 3 minutes into the match that the utility you were getting out of portal would be significantly outweighed by the utility of something like feedback, null zone, or decoy. Making changes to your utilities during a match is part of the hallmark of a good player, because you need to be able to understand situations and adapt to them quickly.

Aside from all of this, you displayed minimal ability to effectively 1v1, certainly against that one engineer, who destroyed you without help, even though help eventually arrived. On top of that, complaining that these 1v1s turned into 2v1s is useless. The whole point of setting up 1 person on a point alone is that they are able to hold the point until help arrives, against 2 people, against 3 people. A perfect example of this is the guardian that you and a teammate attempted to take the mine from. He held the point until help arrived, and then you 2 got decimated. Sitting someone on a point that is not able to successfully survive or win a 2v1 is a recipe for disaster.

Advanced mesmer techniques: Being a shatter mesmer, you should have 3 illusions out at all times, and preferably one being a phantasm simply for the damage potential. To maximize the ability to confuse your opponents, try not to run around aimlessly. Attempt to dodge behind objects, leaving a clone where you were before. Move around with blink, staff 2, and sword 3 whenever possible (these are also leap combos, and used properly give fantastic auras/buffs, with sword 3 actually being 2 leap combos packaged in 1 skill). You should be moving fast, continually destroying and creating clones, and causing maximal confusion in anyone who sees you fighting.

Edit: 1 more thing I forgot to mention. If you must insist upon taking portal into all your matches, do yourself a favor and drop one end of it wherever you are fighting. This provides a continual ethereal combo field to use leap combos, blast combos, etc through, with no detriment to your mobility, or the utility provided from it. If you are specced for confusion when entering ethereal fields, this also does a fantastic job of applying confusion stacks.

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

He wasn’t THAT bad. The only things that stuck out to me were him standing around not doing much during a fight sometimes, and also neglecting to use his Blink to save himself many times.

in Mesmer

IceTenacious.4126

Pyroatheist.9031

A lot of problems have been brought up with your playing in this video, which I agree with in all ways. For a shatter mesmer, you don’t really do a whole lot of shattering. I didn’t see you use mirror images a single time that entire match (maybe once or twice). The whole point of a shatter mesmer is to do a massive amount of fast burst damage while at the same time applying a ton of confusion. A great combo is getting 3 clones out in some way, use cry, optimally while close to get the 4th hit from yourself. Switch to sword+pistol use illusionary leap to get a clone and an immobilize. Immediately use mirror images + blurred frenzy + mind wrack to get an automatic 4 clone shatter + blurred frenzy damage.

ok, i will do try. thanks.

Additionally, on the topic of utilities you never use, you never use 2 of your utilities. I know you took portal for specific mobility reasons. Unfortunately, the one time you used it was a total waste, and it became painfully clear by about 3 minutes into the match that the utility you were getting out of portal would be significantly outweighed by the utility of something like feedback, null zone, or decoy. Making changes to your utilities during a match is part of the hallmark of a good player, because you need to be able to understand situations and adapt to them quickly.

yep, i just noticed that, i will try to use blink more often. also, thanks for your advice as putting down portal for a field; i didn’t know that.

Aside from all of this, you displayed minimal ability to effectively 1v1, certainly against that one engineer, who destroyed you without help, even though help eventually arrived. On top of that, complaining that these 1v1s turned into 2v1s is useless. The whole point of setting up 1 person on a point alone is that they are able to hold the point until help arrives, against 2 people, against 3 people. A perfect example of this is the guardian that you and a teammate attempted to take the mine from. He held the point until help arrived, and then you 2 got decimated. Sitting someone on a point that is not able to successfully survive or win a 2v1 is a recipe for disaster.

i think i got too caught up dodging everything that he was doing and not focusing on dealing damage. this match was the first matchi played close point with my team and it just so happened that we played imperial. i haven’t played close point mesmar for my team since we played imperial. we realised i wouldn’t be able to hold 2v1 (i now run ele on close point) long enough for rotates on the larger maps but it was possibly viable for roamer classes (to drop portals and roam — glass canon build) or for close point on maps where you can see people rotating and quickly rotate.

Advanced mesmer techniques: Being a shatter mesmer, you should have 3 illusions out at all times, and preferably one being a phantasm simply for the damage potential. To maximize the ability to confuse your opponents, try not to run around aimlessly. Attempt to dodge behind objects, leaving a clone where you were before. Move around with blink, staff 2, and sword 3 whenever possible (these are also leap combos, and used properly give fantastic auras/buffs, with sword 3 actually being 2 leap combos packaged in 1 skill). You should be moving fast, continually destroying and creating clones, and causing maximal confusion in anyone who sees you fighting.

hmm, thanks, like i mentioned before i think i have to improve on using blink.

He wasn’t THAT bad. The only things that stuck out to me were him standing around not doing much during a fight sometimes, and also neglecting to use his Blink to save himself many times.

yep, i think i got too caught up trying to mititage damage (but still got hit) and dealt no damage.