Give mesmers a real leap...please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Sword #3 is a real joke. It bugs out all the time and even when it works it isn’t much use for a leap. The only redeeming factor is the immobility it creates on the chained skill, but this can be done by other more reliable means. To try to use this as a leap is laughable as I’m able to simply run to the target faster than I can execute the combo here to to get them (due to the relatively slow lead in). The exception is if somebody is running away, but between the range, the bugginess (a small rock will cause it to fail), and the slow speed of the combo makes this horrible when compared to other “leap” skills.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Sword #3 is a real joke. It bugs out all the time and even when it works it isn’t much use for a leap. The only redeeming factor is the immobility it creates on the chained skill, but this can be done by other more reliable means. To try to use this as a leap is laughable as I’m able to simply run to the target faster than I can execute the combo here to to get them (due to the relatively slow lead in). The exception is if somebody is running away, but between the range, the bugginess (a small rock will cause it to fail), and the slow speed of the combo makes this horrible when compared to other “leap” skills.

Note that other leap skills aren’t a stunbreak and don’t have 2 leap combo finishers in 1 skill.

in Mesmer

Invictus.1503

Note that other leap skills aren’t a stunbreak and don’t have 2 leap combo finishers in 1 skill.

I’ll grant you that, but still hold to the idea that we are lacking a valuable resources. We have a decent number of stunbreaks and although “one more” is never a bad thing, in this case it comes at too high of a cost.

Consider also that we have no passive speed boost like other classes, so I would consider the need for a leap to bridge gaps that much more important.

EDIT: Simple fix in my eyes would be to switch around the order a bit. You leap and create a clone on your location, then the second skill switches you and the clone. This, I would think, would fix the bug of it not working and also make it a real leap.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

(edited by Invictus.1503)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

Al that I ask for is the cd on abilitys there is in the game nowdays got removed. You cant hit a q of leap + leap and sword 2 as you endup leap then stand in air swing your sword.

Also the leap missfires often, you leap to target and he get immobeliced…. but you to far away from him to hit with sword 2.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

I bank on that double leap finisher. With high boon duration, it’s great for stacking retal off Focus#4. Also very handy to heal up in a water field.

It sucks that the clone doesn’t always make it to it’s target, and we’ve received mixed responses on that issue. At one point we were told, “Sorry! That’s just how it is.” Later they tried to clean up the pathing a bit, which works sometimes but results in a huge telegraph as the clone is running in zigzags.

There are ways around the lack of a passive speed boost and “traditional” gap closer. We’ve got a ton of clever combat mechanics, and watering down skills by making them mirror other classes’ skills would start eroding clever playstyles.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Invictus.1503

I bank on that double leap finisher. With high boon duration, it’s great for stacking retal off Focus#4. Also very handy to heal up in a water field.

Switching the order (you leap and create clone at your location, then chain switches you and clone places) would still give the double leap finisher. It would likely fix the pathing issue since the second part is a teleport and rarely bugs. It would keep clever play style and in my opinion add to the feel of a mesmer’s in and out strategy. It also wouldn’t be an unthinkably major change in the skills uniqueness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joonks.7501

Joonks.7501

Is the clone pathing to the target even necessary? Why not just have the clone appear on the target? That would bypass some of the issues associated with the clone’s movement.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Switching the order (you leap and create clone at your location, then chain switches you and clone places) would still give the double leap finisher. It would likely fix the pathing issue since the second part is a teleport and rarely bugs. It would keep clever play style and in my opinion add to the feel of a mesmer’s in and out strategy. It also wouldn’t be an unthinkably major change in the skills uniqueness.

True. The immobilize on the swap synergies with Sword#2 nicely, so I’m not quite sure how to handle that change with this suggestion. Perhaps immob on the initial leap. Not sure what kind of balance issues this would have. (We’d essentially be able to leap in, invuln burst, and get out with little to no risk.)

Is the clone pathing to the target even necessary? Why not just have the clone appear on the target? That would bypass some of the issues associated with the clone’s movement.

The only argument against this is that the charging iLeap is a telegraph. If a player sees it coming, they are able to dodge/block to avoid the burst. IMO, a player who reacts to telegraphs should be awarded for it. It also encourages us to keep track of an opponent’s dodges/blocks to know when to time the burst.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Invictus.1503

True. The immobilize on the swap synergies with Sword#2 nicely, so I’m not quite sure how to handle that change with this suggestion. Perhaps immob on the initial leap. Not sure what kind of balance issues this would have. (We’d essentially be able to leap in, invuln burst, and get out with little to no risk.)

I recognize this problem as well. Unfortunately, as somebody pointed out earlier and I’ve had happen myself so many times, right now with the port to them is so unreliable that a significant number of times you are too far away and when using Sword #2 skill you miss anyway. If it immobilized on the exit out, it could perhaps still synergize well with an offhand range attack or a weapon slot ranged attack.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Al that I ask for is the cd on abilitys there is in the game nowdays got removed. You cant hit a q of leap + leap and sword 2 as you endup leap then stand in air swing your sword.

Also the leap missfires often, you leap to target and he get immobeliced…. but you to far away from him to hit with sword 2.

/Osicat

I hate that – makes you look like a right idiot if it happens.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malakin.2809

Malakin.2809

IMHO the illusion leap should work the same as the warrior’s Savage Leap. No path required (which means it could be used to get to an enemy unreachable by walking, but also that the illusion would not be able to “leap” around corners).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I actually really like illusionary leap as it is. I don’t like that it fails on uneven terrain, but besides that, which is just a pathing issue, illusionary leap is a phenomenal skill.

in Mesmer

Invictus.1503

Aside from the many bugs listed above (pathing, porting to just out of melee range, etc.) you can’t use it like every other class can use their leap, and that is distance closing the gap. With all other class leap skills, even if they are out of range, you still get mobility out of it. With Mesmer, if they are out of range, it simply fails.

If I remember right, in beta they had two skills. One that acts much like what we have now on Sword #3 and another that was Leap, that acts like what I’ve been talking about. Frankly I want a modified version of the one we lost for numerous reasons mentioned here and in previous posts.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vrak.2193

Vrak.2193

Agreed I can’t believe this ability has not been fixed yet…it’s been like this since launch; under no circumstances should a class ability be this severely buggy for so long, especially when Gw2 is staking as claim in the world of competitive pvp.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I think why you are stumped that it’s not fixed yet is because it can’t “just” be fixed.
It’s a pathing problem which all entities in the game share. All players, pets, enemies, everything. You are effectively talking about changing the underlying engine, something which requires a full retest of every single aspect of the game, entirely. No boss is going to pay for that, it’d be months of time for that change.

And even then it’s a comparatively minor issue, only so prominent due to red traffic light syndrome. It happens pretty rarely actually, just that it’s easy to find bad moments, and those are the ones you remember.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Vrak.2193

Of course it can be fixed. Just change the mechanics but keep the function the same. There are plenty of leaps that work perfectly fine right now in Gw2. Make the second half of the ability function in a similar way to the Warrior MH sword leap, but keep the target requirement. Now I am sure there are better ways of going about it, but this is just one example that would actually work.

(edited by Vrak.2193)

in Mesmer

Vrak.2193

Also I disagree that it’s a minor issue; Illusionary leap is a core class ability and it’s rather important that it functions in a reliable manner.

You seem to be fortunate as the ability bugs out for me easily over 50% of the time and I go out of my way to avoid using it on uneven terrain and often stand closer than it’s max range…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Also I disagree that it’s a minor issue; Illusionary leap is a core class ability and it’s rather important that it functions in a reliable manner.

You seem to be fortunate as the ability bugs out for me easily over 50% of the time and I go out of my way to avoid using it on uneven terrain and often stand closer than it’s max range…

Well you need to ask yourself why this is such a issue for you and not for me Osicat, Carrihgan, etc.

Maybe it’s that we’ve all learned to work with it? Just sayin. I know now where the ability will function perfectly and where it won’t. It took time.

Not trying to be rude just trying to give some perspective.

Yes, maybe they could change the ability entirely, it’s a possibility. I’m not going to stop playing mesmer though in the mean time. Still one of the stronger classes in many ways.

in Mesmer

Vrak.2193

Well you need to ask yourself why this is such a issue for you and not for me Osicat, Carrihgan, etc.

Maybe it’s that we’ve all learned to work with it? Just sayin. I know now where the ability will function perfectly and where it won’t. It took time.

Yes, maybe they could change the ability entirely, it’s a possibility. I’m not going to stop playing mesmer though in the mean time. Still one of the stronger classes in many ways.

I have plenty of perspective thanks and I very much expected this type of a response. I can play the Mesmer perfectly fine and have played sword main hand almost exclusively.

The point is that you should’t have to “work around” it; the ability should simply function correctly.

There’s really no reason for it to have been bugged for this long.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I have plenty of perspective thanks and I very much expected this type of a response. I can play the Mesmer perfectly fine and have played sword main hand almost exclusively.

The point is that you should’t have to “work around” it; the ability should simply function correctly.

There is a reason it’s been bugged…….because they can’t fix it. Wanna know why Warhammer had such horrible pet pathing? Because they couldn’t fix it.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

And I’m not sure changing the ability outright will help. Though I would honestly like both kinds of leap. One leaps me, and I can swap back away (that one gives me I dunno, swiftness), the other leaps the illusion and I can swap in for immobilize.

But to make that fit, Blurred frenzy would need to go. Fat chance of that happening. :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Vrak.2193

There is a reason it’s been bugged…….because they can’t fix it. Wanna know why Warhammer had such horrible pet pathing? Because they couldn’t fix it.

Of course it can be fixed, I have already given one example that would work perfectly fine

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Of course it can be fixed, I have already given one example that would work perfectly fine

Well, your idea however doesn’t fix it, it replaces it with an entirely different ability.

in Mesmer

Vrak.2193

Well, your idea however doesn’t fix it, it replaces it with an entirely different ability.

Haha of course it fixes it, what on earth are you talking about? A bit nit-picky there buddy. It replaces half of the ability with a different (and better) type of leap, making the ability work every time you use it as long as you use it correctly. This is a great improvement over it’s current state, thus this would indeed count as a fix.

And that was merely just an example from someone who is not even a games developer. I say again, Illusionary leap is 100% fixable.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

I actually really like illusionary leap as it is. I don’t like that it fails on uneven terrain, but besides that, which is just a pathing issue, illusionary leap is a phenomenal skill.

Agreed 100%. It doesn’t seem like many mesmers use this ability defensively but I use it for this purpose all the time as a S/S, GS mesmer and changing the mechanics of the ability, as suggested in this thread, would be a nerf to me. I’m all for fixing the AI pathing though.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Mesmer

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

How about swapping the conditions around so the first leap immobilizes and the second one cripples? I get that would mess with the whole leap → leap → swoosh swoosh idea but wouldn’t be a more effective chaser move that way?

A proper fix is just not going to happen at this time, the skill has been bugged since forever and has presumably been looked at several times. I just don’t think the magic fix we’re hoping for is going to happen, so it’s time to start thinking of other things this skill could do better than what it doesn’t do properly right now (and probably never will).