Glamour Builds - I'm New

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

So guys I’m fairly new to the Mesmer and I’ve been running with the GS-Sceptor/Focus for WvW in Berserker gear and doing just fine, but I was wondering how much better the Staff – Sceptor/Torch Glamour build is.

Just looking at some of the talents and such it is possible to throw up 3 blinds which then turn into confusion which is pretty cool. Here’s the build I was thinking about.

Staff – Sceptor/Torch (with Sigils of Endurance & maybe sigil of corruption/sigil of endurance)
Utilities: Feedback, Nullfield, Arcane Thievery (Veil if in a grp), Timewarp

Talents:
Domination: 20pts: III & VIII
Dueling: 20pts: II & X
Illusions: 30pts: VI, VIII, IX

As far armor goes I was thinking Rabid, but not sure. Runes I was thinking undead? Need some help in this department.

Like I said I’m fairly new to this so all the help would be appreciated.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yes, rune of the undead and rabid gear is the way plus superior sigil of corruption for your weapons.I use scepter/focus as using temporal curtain to pull enemies through the glamfields helps with extra stacks.
Btw I have inspiration ii and xi

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

(edited by selan.8354)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: McNuggetBandit.8376

McNuggetBandit.8376

Okay heres the build i run and it kicks serious kitten /p>

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/mesmer/?4.1|b.1b.h5.f.1b.h1l|6.1b.h5|1b.719.1b.719.1b.719.1b.719.1b.719.1b.719|1b.9b.1b.9b.1b.9b.1b.9b.1b.9b.1b.9b|k48.0.0.k29.u589|30.e|31.38.39.3b.3q|e

Main points, drop dueling traits nothing use full in there you want the 20 in inspiration for the reduced cooldown and longer lasting.

I run scecpter/torch and staff however i sometimes run scepter/focus if were are going up against zergs as its a good way to break them up along with the glamours.

And you want full rabid with undead runes. With that you can get over +1700 condtition dmg with food

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Orikx.9671

Orikx.9671

I run a similar build but I run mostly P/V/T armor/accessories(with Carrion orbs) and a carrion staff. I found that with my Utilities all being used for dmg and time warp as my elite I lacked the staying power in huge long battles that I wanted. I gained a lot of survivability with PVT and with 25 stacks I still sit at 1000 con dmg.

The damage is still respectable and for those times we are farming their spawn supply camp and fighting for 10+ minutes I don’t have to get out to heal up near as often so I can keep glamours up more.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

Welcome to Glam!

If you haven’t already, check out my youtube channel, it has lots of videos of one of the pioneering glam builds in action along with multiple videos that break down the build including talks on utilities, talents, equipment and more.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

For a glamour build, as you’ll discover if you look at Kylias builds, you actually want runes of the nightmare, for increased condition duration. In my build, I actually went full on into it with 30/0/0/10/30 for 1700 cd and confusion stacks that last 10+ seconds. All of my armor and trinkets are rabid.

As for an offhand, torch is ok, but you’re going to want to be sitting at or near 1200 range most of the time. Focus is far better for ranged combat, the curtain detonation can pull people through your fields, and the warden spin can apply even more confusion.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Ya I’ve been running the 100% condition duration on the Engineer (my main) and have found a lot of success with that until the Runes got bugged with the last patch.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Velkyn.5168

Velkyn.5168

I have a question – why exactly is rabid gear (prec/tough/cond) better than carrion (pow/vita/cond)?

I’ve also recently switched to a glamour build ankittenrying to collect proper gear for that build now, and these two condi damage stat combos confuse me because both seem to have a rather “useless” stat each.. conditions can’t crit from what I understand.

I suppose I do want both vitaliy and toughness? Or really just toughness and not so much vitality and that’s the reason for rabid gear?

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I have a question – why exactly is rabid gear (prec/tough/cond) better than carrion (pow/vita/cond)?

I’ve also recently switched to a glamour build ankittenrying to collect proper gear for that build now, and these two condi damage stat combos confuse me because both seem to have a rather “useless” stat each.. conditions can’t crit from what I understand.

I suppose I do want both vitaliy and toughness? Or really just toughness and not so much vitality and that’s the reason for rabid gear?

It sorta depends on what you’re trying to do. If you are going for absolute pure condition damage, then rabid is better, because tuning crystals scale at 6% per toughness and 4% per vitality.

Other than that, carrion is actually a bit better for overall damage, since it does add power. It really depends on your personal preference. As I mentioned, I’m using carrion weapons and rabid everything else, it really doesn’t make an enormous difference.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Velkyn.5168

It sorta depends on what you’re trying to do. If you are going for absolute pure condition damage, then rabid is better, because tuning crystals scale at 6% per toughness and 4% per vitality.

Other than that, carrion is actually a bit better for overall damage, since it does add power. It really depends on your personal preference. As I mentioned, I’m using carrion weapons and rabid everything else, it really doesn’t make an enormous difference.

Sorry, I should have clarified more. My main concern at the moment is survivability in WvW, specifically not dying in the AoE in zerg battles. ^^
And I’m not sure if just loads of toughness will help me more there, even if that means very few hitpoints, or if I should go for both vitality and toughness.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Sorry, I should have clarified more. My main concern at the moment is survivability in WvW, specifically not dying in the AoE in zerg battles. ^^
And I’m not sure if just loads of toughness will help me more there, even if that means very few hitpoints, or if I should go for both vitality and toughness.

Ah. Now we cross from the realm of condition damage to the realm of effective hp.

There’s no easy answer to that question. Toughness helps more against straight damage. Vitality helps more against condition damage. Vitality also helps (a bit) to not instakill yourself when you drop feedback into a zerg (which I’ve done multiple times) due to retaliation damage.

Ultimately, it really doesn’t make a big difference for this particular build. The playstyle of a glamour mesmer really involves juking into 1200 range to drop feedback, null field, maybe chaos storm, and then running back and watching the pretty purple numbers. With smart play, you shouldn’t get hit that much.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Velkyn.5168

Thank you for the explanations Pyroatheist, that helped a lot.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: kazi.6438

kazi.6438

I don’t run a glamour build, but I find full exotic carrion gear to be simply unkillable. You can literally walk into an enemy zerg and then walk out again.

Inir [CAT]

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

I’m currently running a power/condition damage glamour build that can allow me to go among PvE, dungeon, and WvW on the fly.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/mesmer/?4.1|b.1h.h5.d.1h.h10|1.1h.h5|1h.719.1h.719.1h.719.1h.719.1h.719.1h.719|1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.1j.62.1h.62.8c.62|k58.0.0.k28.u58b|44.d|33.35.38.39.3q|e

Now, I’m not 100% exotic carrion gear yet (but working on it!); that one celestial accessory is the ancient karka shell and I went with soldier’s for my back. Depending on situation, I can simply just swap around the traits. Besides the tropical mousse food, I also like to use Orrian truffle soup.

This build may be odd, but I enjoy playing it!

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Regarding Carrion and Rabid. It is true that with Glamour builds it doesn’t make too much of a difference which one you go for, but bear in mind that Rabid is much better than Carrion in conventional Condition builds; so going for Rabid will allow you to switch between a Glamour build and a conventional Condition build with ease.

As for Runes of the Undead versus Runes of the Nightmare, I’d personally stick with Undead. It gives you significantly more condition damage in exchange for 10% condition duration: for Confusion this means 0.3 to 0.5s less duration, I don’t really feel that makes much of a difference.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Velkyn.5168

Regarding Carrion and Rabid. It is true that with Glamour builds it doesn’t make too much of a difference which one you go for, but bear in mind that Rabid is much better than Carrion in conventional Condition builds; so going for Rabid will allow you to switch between a Glamour build and a conventional Condition build with ease.

Would you mind explaining why Rabid stats are so much better for conventional condition builds? Because of the tuning crystals?

(edited by Velkyn.5168)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: manudiao.9803

manudiao.9803

Minor trait 5 and 15 in Dueling gives you vigor and bleeds (from illusions) on crits. While not running around in a big group, you mostly change your build to 0/20/30/0/20 or 0/20/20/0/30 or sth. similar. which is personal preference. but you pick up 20 points in dueling most of the time for getting clones on dodge and shorter cooldown on the sword for leap, blurred frenzy, mirror images and spike confusion dmg via shatters.

(edited by manudiao.9803)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Would you mind explaining why Rabid stats are so much better for conventional condition builds? Because of the tuning crystals?

Rabid outdoes Carrion in regards to the condition damage, and in retrospect your confusion will hit harder, the great thing about confusion is that your stacks multiply the damage (instead of increasing duration) and due to the fact that confusion has a high Condition to damage conversion, every point of condition is worth alot more than say someone running bleed or posion.

Back to conventional condition builds, your dealing more damage over time, up until (numbers from my head atm) until about 1500 toughness, its always better to go toughness over Vitality with the Mesmer, as the damage mitigation outweights the equivilant amount of vitality. (I might make one of my famous charts if needed)

Since I’m replying, I might as well aslo address the Undead Vs Nightmare, I made a doc not too long ago assisting with a new build:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkXSlFKEkur9dDMtQ3NqUldMMWZiM0lRSHNSc05DckE&usp=sharing
That shows the tradeoff of Condition damage Vs Condition duration (theorycrafting) now undead will win out of you have enough base toughness to make it worth mroe than the duration. Of course this does not factor in any enemy duration cleanses, confusion mititgation (including lessened time) or other factors like multiple targets effected (I think I might play around with some more numbers tonight)

Hope that helps and doesn’t confuse you more

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Velkyn.5168

I wasn’t aware that Rabid gear has higher condition damage on it, because at least in PvP both sets have the exact same numbers for that stat.
That is confusing indeed, but thanks very much for the explanations.

Also good to know about the toughness/vitality thing, I guess I’ll be aiming for 1500 toughness then and fill the rest with vita for better retaliation-zerg-survival.

(edited by Velkyn.5168)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Rabid provides Precision, which is essential for proccing Sharper Images (Illusions inflict Bleeding on critical hits) and Critical Infusion (gain Vigour on critical hits) for abusing Deceptive Evasion (conjure a Clone on dodge). If you use Superior Runes of Earth it will help with that too.

Rabid also provides Toughness, which gives you extra condition damage if you take Chaotic Transference, Runes of the Undead and/or Tuning Crystals.

With regards to condition damage versus duration, in Mesmer condition builds you should generally prioritise damage because duration has no effect on Illusions, which are a large part of your DPS.

This is not as big a problem with Glamour builds, but consider this: Confusion only deals damage when your opponent procs it, so increasing its duration does not guarantee it will actually deal more damage.

With Runes of the Nightmare you get +10% condition duration, which translates to 0.3s to 0.5s extra Confusion duration. The question you must ask is: will that result in an extra Confusion proc? Most skills have longer cast times than that, so I doubt it.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

This is not as big a problem with Glamour builds, but consider this: Confusion only deals damage when your opponent procs it, so increasing its duration does not guarantee it will actually deal more damage.

With Runes of the Nightmare you get +10% condition duration, which translates to 0.3s to 0.5s extra Confusion duration. The question you must ask is: will that result in an extra Confusion proc? Most skills have longer cast times than that, so I doubt it.

Actually, the average base attack speed across all classes and all weapons is 0.71 seconds. (Taken off all 1 attack of all weapons across all classes) With the fastest being at 0.25. Also do remember that you can get mre than one confusion hit on a single ability use, as confusion does activate on skill ativation even if then the global cooldown activates. (pray for an opponent that spams the 1 key
Hence the only thing working against a confusion mesmer is the global cooldown.

If we are dealing with a static computer program then damage will always be better tham duration, but since we are dealing with humans who are random, sporatic and highly unpredictable, thats where your big hits come from. (12345666111)
0.33 of a second is roughly equal to (depending on your total condition damage) 150 condition damage, if you base the damage over a period of 3 vs 3.33 seconds.

So if you can’t pull 1-200 condition damage but can increase your duration by .33 your getting a fair tradeoff.
That said there is the whole condition removal so you have potetial loss overtime, as well as other factors (like daze, stun etc) arn’t calculated into the above, but since you are awaiting the enemy to activate skills to damage yourself, the longer the duration, the more likely the enemy will activate.

Then of course there is the final benefit of increased duration, more versed players will see a high confusion stack and stop attacking (a free daze effect :P ) so the longer the duration, the mroe damage you are mitigating, the more control you have over your opponent

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

I would’ve thought that factoring in human unpredictability would make condition damage seem even better than condition duration.

In theory, the best case scenario would be your opponent spamming a low CT attack, which with +10% condition duration is realistically going to give you one extra proc, if that. Factoring in human unpredictability means they might do things other than spamming their low CT attack, so the results can only be worse.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I would’ve thought that factoring in human unpredictability would make condition damage seem even better than condition duration.

In theory, the best case scenario would be your opponent spamming a low CT attack, which with +10% condition duration is realistically going to give you one extra proc, if that. Factoring in human unpredictability means they might do things other than spamming their low CT attack, so the results can only be worse.

You forget that a glamour build is a generally a zerg busting tool. Ikittenerg, people are doing nothing but spamming attacks and aoes as quickly as they can. That makes the condition duration more potent. Additionally, in non zerg situations, the longer confusion acts as a shutdown tool, which can be very helpful.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

Remember that some attacks cause confusion to trigger multiple times, also include things such as on weapon swap, or on dodge roll abilities and people who mash buttons, your going to get lots of confusion ticks in a short period of time, one of my fav videos of this is – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMI_MzO52lw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

around the 53 second mark against the poor fighter, 4 hits within the second

At the end of the day it comes to personal feel and opinion on what you want to run, but on paper extra condition duration wins over damage at the following rates:
At 3 seconds duration, 10% duration = 200 condition damage
If you apply it at a 5 second duration, 10% mor duration = 100 condition damage.

Of course if we start looking into multi stacks, extra duration plays a big key in maintaining a large enough pool of confusion stacks for long enough to get the big hits off. (One of the main reasons I run veggie pizza instead of any +100 condition foods)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

You forget that a glamour build is a generally a zerg busting tool. Ikittenerg, people are doing nothing but spamming attacks and aoes as quickly as they can. That makes the condition duration more potent. Additionally, in non zerg situations, the longer confusion acts as a shutdown tool, which can be very helpful.

Except not all players use autoattacks that have lower CTs than 0.5s, and ikittenerg spam AoEs and other skills that are likely to be used have even longer CTs than most autoattacks. The fact is getting an extra Confusion proc with 0.5s is remote even under ideal situations. You’re better off getting extra condition damage to ensure the Confusion that does proc hit harder.

As for shutdown… it’s 0.3 – 0.5s. I already have 5s – 8.5s of Confusion, what difference is an extra 0.3 – 0.5s going to make? Also consider the -40% condition duration food, which I think a player smart enough to not attack through Confusion is likely to have: that reduces the duration bonus of +10% to negligible levels.

Remember that some attacks cause confusion to trigger multiple times, also include things such as on weapon swap, or on dodge roll abilities and people who mash buttons, your going to get lots of confusion ticks in a short period of time, one of my fav videos of this is – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMI_MzO52lw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

around the 53 second mark against the poor fighter, 4 hits within the second

As for people who mash buttons without actually activating anything, that’s basing your theorycrafting on the lowest of the low denominator: “it works better when your opponent is even more stupid than usual!” Is not really valid theorycrafting.

Also, your numbers might make sense for consistent conditions like Burning and Bleeding, but not for an unpredictable one like Confusion.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

@Embolism: Normally, I frown upon theorycrafting based on the lowest common denominator. The thing is, as I said, this is a zerg busting tool. Zergs are the very embodiment of the lowest denominator. You can very well assume that they will be spamming buttons like there’s no tomorrow with 0 regard to any confusion on them because that’s exactly what they do.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

kylia.4813

If we start taking about competent players we will have to factor in lowered durations as well as cleanses.
But at the end of the day, go with what suits you

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

For a glamour build, as you’ll discover if you look at Kylias builds, you actually want runes of the nightmare, for increased condition duration. In my build, I actually went full on into it with 30/0/0/10/30 for 1700 cd and confusion stacks that last 10+ seconds. All of my armor and trinkets are rabid.

As for an offhand, torch is ok, but you’re going to want to be sitting at or near 1200 range most of the time. Focus is far better for ranged combat, the curtain detonation can pull people through your fields, and the warden spin can apply even more confusion.

Confusion caps at 10 seconds, so you could possibly afford to drop some of that domination.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Precision provides crits, and on crit effects, which is offers more application in various forms. Just another consideration.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

@Embolism: Normally, I frown upon theorycrafting based on the lowest common denominator. The thing is, as I said, this is a zerg busting tool. Zergs are the very embodiment of the lowest denominator. You can very well assume that they will be spamming buttons like there’s no tomorrow with 0 regard to any confusion on them because that’s exactly what they do.

Eh, assumptions lead to defeat. Never underestimate a “zerg”. They could, in fact, be a highly organised and fully aware guild. Any halfway experienced WvW player knows that giant mesmer glamour field effects on the battlefield means either confusion, reflection, or both. One of the big downsides to glamour confusion builds.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

I actually went full on into it with 30/0/0/10/30 for 1700 cd and confusion stacks that last 10+ seconds.

Is Temporal Enchanter worthy?

And also, Pyro which traits do you pick in Domination (guess that V, VIII and ?)

Thanks guys.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Glamour Builds - I'm New

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I actually went full on into it with 30/0/0/10/30 for 1700 cd and confusion stacks that last 10+ seconds.

Is Temporal Enchanter worthy?

And also, Pyro which traits do you pick in Domination (guess that V, VIII and ?)

Thanks guys.

I’ve actually since dropped 10 points from domination into inspiration, for the reason that I was actually capping out at over the 10 second confusion duration hardcap….making those extra 10 points useless. I now use confusion on glamour and clone cripple in domination. Glamour cooldowns and focus trait swapped with glamour duration depending on the situation in inspiration.