Good spvp Build for beginners?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Hi guys. New to mesmer, but not spvp. I have about 500 games as warrior and am wanting to start branching out to other profs.

I am wondering what is suggested for someone that is just starting on mes. I was looking at the IP builds listed on metabattle, but they seems a little squishy to start with.

Full builds or links would be appreciated. Up to date videos would be ace if possible.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Hi guys. New to mesmer, but not spvp. I have about 500 games as warrior and am wanting to start branching out to other profs.

I am wondering what is suggested for someone that is just starting on mes. I was looking at the IP builds listed on metabattle, but they seems a little squishy to start with.

Full builds or links would be appreciated. Up to date videos would be ace if possible.

Most Mesmer builds are some form of squishy. So you have IP Power Shatter, and MTD condi shatter. The latter is a little tougher but still not what you might call tanky.

Then you’ve got PU builds which have great survive but the obvious drawbacks of stealth. We’ve got various Lockdown builds, an/or interrupt builds. CI 4, 4, 6 is the big one here, or Phantrupt in my sig for a straight up rupt play, though that’s full glass.

Then there’s some other options like the signet build, or various support build setups.

I know you want build links etc but the question is what do you want to play? What role do you want to fill? Mes is best for roaming DPS, other classes can fill other roles better, but if you want to go that route with Mes anyway what are you trying to do? Or just tell us what weapons you prefer.

in Mesmer

Lucky.9421

The main goal is to just ease into mesmer. All I know about mesmers atm is that my warrior hasn’t had problems killing any of them for the last sixth months or so. Before that they sometimes gave me a hard time perhaps due to lack of experience.

I would probably start out with ranged weapons. No other preference.

Looking at the build in your sig I can already tell that one won’t be good for me to start with.

I was using this one but I am wondering if it is up to date/good.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Condi_Shatter

(edited by Lucky.9421)

in Mesmer

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Speaking as one of the admins of the PvP section I’m extremely unhappy about that build passing trial. It is utter garbage, completely useless, but official forum people reallied and flooded it with positive votes. This is one of the reasons why build testing is on a halt now until a better system is in place. It’s the only build out of the ~40 for conquest I can’t vouch for at all.

Mesmer is a hard class, for beginners I’d recommend the clone death one but this won’t really teach you how to play mesmer. Maybe you’re better off playing power shatter from the very beginning – won’t be easy and will take some practice but it’s worth it

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Take a look at the PU condie build that I have here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-A-Mesmer-Guide-to-Solo-Queue/first#post4060868

If you want to read the guide, it also includes tips and general instructions on how to play it effectively in PvP.

Maim shatter can also be used fairly effectively….but that build on metabattle is rather poorly planned out. If you want to run maim shatter, do it with this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWlknpMtFpxRNcrNSpBh6ykmmSyA8gSOiyB-TJRHwAw2fIZZABnCAAPBAA

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Take a look at the PU condie build that I have here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-A-Mesmer-Guide-to-Solo-Queue/first#post4060868

If you want to read the guide, it also includes tips and general instructions on how to play it effectively in PvP.

Maim shatter can also be used fairly effectively….but that build on metabattle is rather poorly planned out. If you want to run maim shatter, do it with this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWlknpMtFpxRNcrNSpBh6ykmmSyA8gSOiyB-TJRHwAw2fIZZABnCAAPBAA

Tbh, I don’t think it matters. Any form of PU and MtD is bad in Conquest but can do well in WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Tbh, I don’t think it matters. Any form of PU and MtD is bad in Conquest but can do well in WvW.

They’ll be bad if you try to play it the way a shatter mes is played. They take a different role and require a different strategy.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

They’ll be bad if you try to play it the way a shatter mes is played. They take a different role and require a different strategy.

Pretty much this, and its true of every mesmer build. Mesmer builds become very stylized and a players approach has to change dramatically. This is why many mesmer players gravitate toward some builds and not others, or do well on some builds and poorly in comparison to others. Also changing builds and learning a new one is a huge task.

Reading you, Witcher, all I see is “Im not good at MtD.” You don’t even need to get into a long discussion of PvP, its meta, levels of play, and the various shortcomings. Forums well aware of the distinctions already.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

I never really got into PU but would recommend it simply because its not squishy and allows the user to live long enough to actually get a feel for the class. (Unlike a warrior, Mesmer relies primarily on active defenses to survive so its important that you get familiar with them as soon as possible.) Shatter is really squishy and requires pretty in-depth knowledge of the class to pull off well. Using Shatter as a beginner, you won’t get much of a chance to learn since you’ll be eating dirt within 10 seconds of engaging any competent enemy most of the time.

Personally, I went with a full on tank build early on and just practiced surviving and getting familiar with weapon skills, abilities, and rotations. Once you get a feel for the weapons, you’ll probably come to find some that you like more than others and that will probably help point you into some builds you can try out with them.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I played the clone death trait for a while before I switch to shatter. It has more firepower compared to PU condie and actually easier to be played effectively in sPvP.

Currently, Maim build can be pretty good as well. But it is definitely harder to learn compared to clone death.

Another option is PU power if you like stealth gank. But you can probably take on squishy opponent while many of the meta builds are quite tanky.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

One more thing, if you stick to power shatter, take mantra of resolve instead of portal. It makes the build much tankier and much capable in 1v1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

@Lucky:
These days I mostly play double ranged shatter, a MtD shatter variation or CI lockdown.

But I played this the build almost the whole first year after release in PvP (and got me onto rank 14 or so in solo que in my short while I played ranked… but yeah… it was solo queue). I took my time learning Mesmer^^

Many will say phantasm isn’t viable, and this might be true for top tier PvP. But for the majority of players, it is enough. The 3rd utility is free up to your liking, I often switched it up, sometimes null field, sometimes portal, sometimes a mantra for either condi removal or dazing. I viewed the phantasm also mainly one hit skills. They die pretty quick to warriors for instance, but pulling/pushing enemies off points and can be very powerful, when done right. You can also with Focus #4 —> #5 --> #4 —> Sword #3(2x) and switching to GS with GS #4 deal a brutal amount of dmg. However, the moment your foes sees temporal curtain going down, they will dodge if you use the curtain chain on cool down. But with some tricky timing, you can throw them easily off^^

Well that was at least how I began my Mesmer carrier^^

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

(edited by TyPin.9860)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Titus.2085

Titus.2085

Hey Lucky!

I recommend the standard phantasm build for beginners and the clone death. Officially, the clone death is the one I started when I first started PvP.

Phantasms isn’t well sought out in top play PvP, but it will be a good start and in many other matches, it will be enough and can play well. If you do seek out being on top, at some point (I will emphasize this) you have to grow out of phantasms and start learning the shatter mechanics. Even I, who officially aligns himself as phantasm user, used more of interrupt and standard shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Naix.8156

Naix.8156

Speaking as one of the admins of the PvP section I’m extremely unhappy about that build passing trial. It is utter garbage, completely useless, but official forum people reallied and flooded it with positive votes. This is one of the reasons why build testing is on a halt now until a better system is in place. It’s the only build out of the ~40 for conquest I can’t vouch for at all.

Mesmer is a hard class, for beginners I’d recommend the clone death one but this won’t really teach you how to play mesmer. Maybe you’re better off playing power shatter from the very beginning – won’t be easy and will take some practice but it’s worth it

QFT

Unfortunately you’re input isn’t really going to be accepted or welcomed on this board. This board is the land where rationalizing and up selling mostly trash and mediocre at best builds and play reign supreme here.

At least OP has put a bit of time in on warrior and will be suspicious of how effective a condi shatter mesmer would be in the current scene. Go with your gut OP: condi mes is garbage.

okay, now back to our regular posts on amazing tales of interrupts and torment stacking.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

I’m fairly new myself. I had been playing a PU build 0/4/6/0/4 and did quite well. Forget the exact number of matches, but I almost had wolf rank and had a victory rate over 50%. From the start I never dipped into the 40s. Of course it could have been luck. It was also unranked so besides the occasional team most players weren’t quite the best. Though I did survive most any 1v1 encounter and never had trouble with warriors.

Just a few problems. From what I understand, other builds can potentially offer much more once mastered. Also, PU mesmer is very easy to play. Great for just trying the class out, but once I tried more difficult builds it was obvious I had a very long way to go.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

okay, now back to our regular posts on amazing tales of interrupts and torment stacking.

Skilled hands no, interrupt weak yes.

in Mesmer

Lucky.9421

Thanks for the feedback. I used the celestial clone death build tonight and it worked well for me. It felt like a good balance of damage and survivability. I think I will keep using it for a while.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Condition_Clone_Death

in Mesmer

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

try a PU condi built. mesmer is difficult class for beginners but dont let that ruin your mood for playing it.

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

in Mesmer

Posted by: eozturk.7205

eozturk.7205

try some phantasm build with knight amulet. Once you get used to mesmer mechanics, you will experiment more risky builds for better rewards.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAR8alknpMtFpxRNcrNSqxcqnI9AHEQp/o7QA-TpBFABC8AAqZ/hoLDkwBBYhjAAAXAAA