Greatsword/Staff now viable

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

Finally (I think). I’ve been trying for this for a while now, and think the update (particularly Bountiful Interruption, plus fixes to bouncing attacks and berserker) may now allow it. Anyone else now giving it a shot?

Looking mostly at 20/20/30/0/0. Between Mirror Blade, Bountiful Interruption (works with GS 5 and Staff 5), the winds of chaos fix, and +30% boon duration from chaos, this lets you stack might like nothing else. Anyway, food for thought.

in Mesmer

Posted by: osif.8673

osif.8673

I will be trying a phantasm/interrupt hybrid (maybe I’ll bail on the interrupt) with GS/staff.

Miller Time – 80 Sylvari Mesmer
Not Just A Goodtime – 80 Asura Warrior
[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

I was literally just theorycrafting something exactly like this. I was toying with 20 in Illusions for the extra bounce since both weapons use it, but I think I’d rather have the might stacking.

I plan on pairing it with Runes of Hoelbrak for an extra 20% might duration too.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Actually, I’m not sure about 20 in Dueling. The extra precision/crit damage is nice, but I find that Deceptive Evasion gets in the way for phantasm builds. It tends to kill phantasms every once in a while, and I don’t need the extra clones if I’m not shattering that much anyway.

Although maybe the reduced cast time on Phantasms will change that.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

Yeah I’m experimenting with staff/greatsword 0/20/20/0/30 now that iBerserker and bounce are fixed. Need to test it some more before deciding if greatsword works better for me than mainhand sword.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

The 20 in dueling is probably not required (and I haven’t played with deceptive evasion in a while, so it’s taking some relearning), but getting up those three staff clones at will for the boons is very nice. Then again, it seems like I’m able to stack 20 stacks of might even without it too.

Hate to say it, but is Bountiful Interruption starting to look a little OP?

in Mesmer

osif.8673

How long does the 5 stacks of might last with base boon duration? Can’t log in right now and I can’t recall them mentioning the duration in the notes.

[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

Frankly, I have been wanting to play Staff/something ranged for a long time, and it never quite worked with Greatsword (and I do no like Sceptre) so I am happy for the changes.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I always played GS/Staff. As for interrupt I don’t think it’s reliable enough to count on it .

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Bear in mind that just hitting GS #5 or getting a group daze proc from Chaos Storm doesn’t count as an “interrupt” unless you actually, well, interrupt someone’s skill cast.

Yes but on mobs it can happen often.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but, knockbacks are generally frowned upon in any kind of group activity except for when it will save from a wipe. The last thing people want is to have a group of mobs spread out so they can’t be aoed. When soloing sure this seems valid, I just doubt how useful it will be for group play.
Edit: I am speaking specifically about using gs #5 for the interupt to build might stacks

(edited by ShadowPuppet.3746)

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but, knockbacks are generally frowned upon in any kind of group activity except for when it will save from a wipe. The last thing people want is to have a group of mobs spread out so they can’t be aoed. When soloing sure this seems valid, I just doubt how useful it will be for group play.
Edit: I am speaking specifically about using gs #5 for the interupt to build might stacks

I could be wrong, but I’m almost positive that the OP is referring to a WvW build

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I could be wrong, but I’m almost positive that the OP is referring to a WvW build

Could be, still it holds true…take a scenario where you have a blob of people and the aoe’s get dropped from say a necro, ele, ranger or any class that has gtaoe and you come along and knock the enemy out of it to stack your might. I am not saying it’s totally worthless by any stretch of the imagination, just it seems like using gs#5 to try and stack might is less than a optimal approach. It’s mostly my opinion and I wouldn’t try and discourage anyone from pursuing it, just wanted to offer something to think about. I apologize if it sounded like I was being one of “those” people that try and tell others how to play.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Oh no no, not at all. I totally agree with you, in PvE it’s very annoying. But I was just pointing out that it could be great in WvW.

Combine that with the signet that spreads boons and it could be pretty amazing.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Bad news guys…it’s not 5 stacks of might, it’s 5 seconds of 1 stack of might…..

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

might stacking is over rated anyway. But try a shatter build with GS/Staff it’s pretty awesome. I go from GS izerker burst then shatter switch to staff shatter 2 then back to gs izerker and shatter again quite a bit of burst.

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlueFrog.3261

BlueFrog.3261

lets not spread lies, it’s definitely 5 stacks of might.

Albino

in Mesmer

osif.8673

Doing a phantasm build with GS/staff, didn’t end up taking BI. Phantasms are still just as viable as they were before the patch… maybe more so now that we’re more viable in a group… just as good 1v1.

[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

lets not spread lies, it’s definitely 5 stacks of might.

Can anyone else confirm this? I was told by another mesmer that he was only getting one stack. I’d love to hear that he was wrong though.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Bear in mind that just hitting GS #5 or getting a group daze proc from Chaos Storm doesn’t count as an “interrupt” unless you actually, well, interrupt someone’s skill cast.

Which mob activates skills quicker than a player does?

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

Which mob activates skills quicker than a player does?

The answer to that question is obvious. The point being made is that in a mob, you likely get at least one interrupt either from Chaos Storm, Focus Pull or GS #5, making this trait more than worth it, especially now that’s it available in the master tree. My main use for it is in a support build.

@Zumi, I confirmed you get 5 stacks of might on each interrupt.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

@Zumi, I confirmed you get 5 stacks of might on each interrupt.

Awesome, thank you. I think I’ll probably just swap in BI and Signet of Inspiration when running with a group then

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mrflushy.8342

Mrflushy.8342

I just hit level 60 on my Mesmer and was planning on doing 20/20/0/25/5 build. Using sword/focus and greats word for weapons.

Since they moved the IC trait to grandmaster in this new patch. Don’t know if I want to keep the 5 points in illusions. That or move the 5 points to dueling for confusing combatants.

(edited by Mrflushy.8342)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The answer to that question is obvious. The point being made is that in a mob, you likely get at least one interrupt either from Chaos Storm, Focus Pull or GS #5, making this trait more than worth it, especially now that’s it available in the master tree. My main use for it is in a support build.

Eh, I was thinking of NPC mobs.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

Eh, I was thinking of NPC mobs.

Yep, NPC mobs obviously don’t proc as often on interrupts, but they definitely do to a noticeable effect. Real players proc more often than you’d think if you can surprise them with a Chaos Storm, though most get out of the AoE if they see it coming. Even then, still worth it IMO.

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

How long does the 5 stacks of might last with base boon duration? Can’t log in right now and I can’t recall them mentioning the duration in the notes.

From what I can tell, it is 5 seconds base.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Westibone.3985

Westibone.3985

Something I have been doing with success is going 20/20/0/0/30 with GS/Staff and taking phantasm damage and fury for phantasms, along with Illusionary Elasticity. Everything hits very hard, and you get quite a bit of might from the GS bouncing + shattering, but the new thing I have been doing is this:

I use my power/crit gear (Zerker, Knight, Cavalier mix), but change all my consumables to condition based stuff (veggie pizza/tuning crystals). Also, I build up 25 stacks of corruption before I go out. this gets me about 800 condition damage before any might stacks, and bleeds are in the 80’s, burns in the 500’s. this allows you to hang back with the staff if you want and apply pressure to high toughness targets. Also, the iZerker will hit unbelievabll hard, apply bleeds, and any GS clones you have out will be hitting 3x times each providing additional bleeds. It’s like having the best of both worlds, and you don’t have to piece together some weird Rampager armor mix to get it done.

(edited by Westibone.3985)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

Im running 0/20/20/0/30 with great success. Very tanky and mobile, with pretty decent damage. Mix of zerker and cavalier.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos: