Help With PvP Phantasm Build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

I got no idea what I’m doing, or really what role I want, but I’ve had a little bit of success in PvP with this build:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Ng-FkFKWPVz0O7cWF71;9;4JJ-O429-34;243;24-F04;1sV2DsV2D0JY

It’s not good and like I said, I’m still learning my role as a PvP mesmer. Can anyone offer up suggestions, or clarification as to what I really should be doing as a mesmer in PvP?

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

in Mesmer

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

first of all. torch not for phantom mesmer.
second armor on conditions dmg for phantoms not good as mostly can think.
if u wanna do dmg with phantasms u need decide, defender or disenchanter (i for defender) because u can have only 3 ilusions up. if it defender and disenchanter in same time, u left only 1 free space for wep phantom who do dmg. and when u press decoy or triger desperate decoy, u lose 1 phantom. better replace disenchanter for signet of ilusion or blink

and traits +- good, but imo desperate decoy better if u have 30 points in chaost tree.

btw sigils on crit chance dont work on phantoms

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

(edited by drongas.4189)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

I take phantasmal fury over desperate decoy. Most of the time you’ll be spamming abilities when you’re at 25% and will most likely just reveal yourself as soon as you cloak. Many will tell you to dump the GS, but I happen to love the GS in my phantasm build. I’d swap out the torch for either sword or pistol though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

This is my current Phantasm build that I’m enjoying immensely in sPvP. I personally can’t enjoy glassy builds so I go with Soldiers Amulet. I’ve been a beast with this, including QQ mails from enemies and everything!

http://tinyurl.com/n4dhgpu

(fixed build, had one error in it before)

Solid damage output, solid survivability.

I like the 2 ranged Phants working in tandem. I myself pop into melee range, then pop out when it gets hairy. This way enemies often ignore the Phants until they realize what’s eating their lunch…then they go to clear them, but by now RUTs are back up and more Phants inc. QQ

May well be that someone has posted a similar one, or maybe this is close/same to Pyros I don’t remember as I’ve been tweaking constantly and ended up with this. (His is excellent for sure.)

(edited by Windwalker.7421)

in Mesmer

Havana.8625

I use the torch for a 2nd escape method, but I think you are right. Maybe I should drop it in favor of pistol or focus (for movement.) How good is the sword phantasm? I will get phantasmal fury, thanks for reminding me of the trait. Does anyone have any sigil recommendations?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Sword Phantasm is relatively weak, but hits fast and has a Leap Finisher, giving it added defense with comboing. If you can get 3 out, it’s hard to escape them… and they’re probably the easiest Phantasm to get 3 out with, too.

As for Torch being kittenty, I agree it’s bad in a Phantasm build, but it’s not a bad item for defensiveness, you just might not have enough offense with it as a Phant build. If you were in a shatter build, I would say go for it because you can use the Phant as a shatterbot.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Tanky-Phantasm/first#post2077169

Check out that. It is my tanky phantasm build that I use and is crazy effective. Thanks to the tankyness and huge retaliation hits from having so much power I often fight 1v2 and win and thus break the dueling stereotype.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Sword Phantasm is relatively weak, but hits fast and has a Leap Finisher, giving it added defense with comboing. If you can get 3 out, it’s hard to escape them… and they’re probably the easiest Phantasm to get 3 out with, too.

As for Torch being kittenty, I agree it’s bad in a Phantasm build, but it’s not a bad item for defensiveness, you just might not have enough offense with it as a Phant build. If you were in a shatter build, I would say go for it because you can use the Phant as a shatterbot.

The sword phantasm is not relatively weak. The sword phantasm is the most powerful single hit phantasm we have other than warlock with a lot of conditions on the target. In my phantasm build, my swordsmen regularly crit for over 6k a hit, every 3.5 seconds.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

The sword phantasm is not relatively weak. The sword phantasm is the most powerful single hit phantasm we have other than warlock with a lot of conditions on the target. In my phantasm build, my swordsmen regularly crit for over 6k a hit, every 3.5 seconds.

Warlock with one or two conditions will typically hit just as hard as the Sword. Duelist and Warden both outdps Sword. Torch isn’t a Phant. GS is buggy.

Based on that it’s…

Warden —> Duelist/Warden —> Sword —> GS —> Torch
With the rightmost being the worst.

That’s how I look at it, then again I always run S/S + Staff, so who knows what I really think. (Definitely not me.)

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Warlock with one or two conditions will typically hit just as hard as the Sword. Duelist and Warden both outdps Sword. Torch isn’t a Phant. GS is buggy.

Based on that it’s…

Warden —> Duelist/Warden --> Sword —> GS --> Torch

That’s how I look at it, then again I always run S/S + Staff, so who knows what I really think. (Definitely not me.)

Note that the warlock uses are somewhat slow, non-tracking projectile, also attacking almost twice as slow as the swordsmen.

On a single target, warden will not out-dps swordsman, not even if that target somehow remains stationary throughout the entire spin.

Duelist has the potential to out-dps swordsmen when bleed damage from sharper images is combined, but note that it is multiple projectiles, and is susceptible to reflection and retaliation.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Based on that it’s…

Note that the warlock uses are somewhat slow, non-tracking projectile, also attacking almost twice as slow as the swordsmen.

On a single target, warden will not out-dps swordsman, not even if that target somehow remains stationary throughout the entire spin.

Duelist has the potential to out-dps swordsmen when bleed damage from sharper images is combined, but note that it is multiple projectiles, and is susceptible to reflection and retaliation.

And Swordsman has the potential to be blocked or evaded.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Based on that it’s…

True, but its attack animation is very fast, and it evades during the animation, so it is difficult to interrupt it during the attack, and it has the lowest cycle time of any phantasm, which makes for an absolutely brutal damage pace.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Based on that it’s…

True, but its attack animation is very fast, and it evades during the animation, so it is difficult to interrupt it during the attack, and it has the lowest cycle time of any phantasm, which makes for an absolutely brutal damage pace.

I do agree. I just say that they’re relatively weak as they offer nothing other than quick, pure force. Although that’s not to say that that’s weak, it’s just as a class that gleams from DPS through/with Utility, having a skill that brings no Utility with it’s DPS seems weak in relation to the Utility gained off other skills.

Then again, I’ve used offhand sword for a few months.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Sword Phantasms also remove boons, right?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

@Esplen, Really? then you realize that the sword offhand has better dps than the OH pistol. #4 OH sword block crits like crazy and it is probably meant for a glass cannon build

@xavi, I dont think so. sword clones remove boons. sword phastasm is just a leap finisher and damage

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

This is my current Phantasm build that I’m enjoying immensely in sPvP. I personally can’t enjoy glassy builds so I go with Soldiers Amulet. I’ve been a beast with this, including QQ mails from enemies and everything!

http://tinyurl.com/n4dhgpu

This build intrigues me. I’ve always wished I could get 20% reduced sword, 20% reduced phantasm and both 15% damage traits in the same build, but alas.

I’m thinking of trying something similar to this, but with the sword offhand, so I’m not sure if it’d be most beneficial to get Dueling IV over Illusions X. I lean towards Dueling just a little for the extra crit percentage/damage.

My question is, do you find yourself doing any decent damage with your crit stats so low? I also hate glass cannons, soI try to get a good balance of survivability and damage.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Sword Phantasms also remove boons, right?

loseridiot is correct, Sword illusions remove boons, but the phantasms do not.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: djtool.8372

djtool.8372

What a cute little warden vs. Swordsman debate! /joke :-) and /respect

Traiting for both for max damage warden will end up doing the most damage most of the time (more on that later) because he generates more bleeds on top of his awesome p/c damage. HOWEVER its such a unreliable circus act to pull it off in the long run your swordsman will produce much, much more for you. The swordsman also is more reliable at generating retaliation damage. Wardens also a one time shot.

If the op is curious the way to most reliably create damage with your warden is to have signet of illusions in your utility bar. Use sword power 3, then cast warden, then use sword power 3, finish with more cc or sword 2. Do it for fun a few times but there are too many variables to make this anything close to consistent damage.

Wardens primary purpose is tanking.

in Mesmer

djtool.8372

The blocks are likely to support soldiers or valkyrie type builds. If youre glass you end up getting pounded waiting for the block to go off.

@xavi, I dont think so. sword clones remove boons. sword phastasm is just a leap finisher and damage

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

The blocks are likely to support soldiers or valkyrie type builds. If youre glass you end up getting pounded waiting for the block to go off.

actually, not going glass cannon with a OH sword will get you killed.

sword #4 block crits like 4k damage or maybe more.

Besides, memser have alot of active defenses which makes glass cannon feasible

in Mesmer

djtool.8372

I’m speaking from practical experience.

Whatever works for you is cool and that’s fine. OH swords intention is certainly power orientated and you will get hit multiple times while waiting for your block to hit. The only proper time to use it with zerker is after you have created a hp advantage you can exploit. players who are trying to do significant amounts of damage tend to do it so fast that you are taking equal or more than you are dealing. Even if you land that big crit.

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

Whatever works for you is cool and that’s fine. OH swords intention is certainly power orientated and you will get hit multiple times while waiting for your block to hit. The only proper time to use it with zerker is after you have created a hp advantage you can exploit. players who are trying to do significant amounts of damage tend to do it so fast that you are taking equal or more than you are dealing. Even if you land that big crit.

if you are waiting for a block then you are doing something wrong.

That block should trigger less than 1 second after you cast it. If its any longer than you are giving the opponent the advantage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

This build intrigues me. I’ve always wished I could get 20% reduced sword, 20% reduced phantasm and both 15% damage traits in the same build, but alas.

I’m thinking of trying something similar to this, but with the sword offhand, so I’m not sure if it’d be most beneficial to get Dueling IV over Illusions X. I lean towards Dueling just a little for the extra crit percentage/damage.

My question is, do you find yourself doing any decent damage with your crit stats so low? I also hate glass cannons, soI try to get a good balance of survivability and damage.

My own damage is of course a bit lacking from the low crit stats, but the point is that your Phants have perma-fury and thus they do quite solid DPS while you’re able to take a beating.

Also when in Staff mode you can not only tank rather well, but you also will generally soak up some Fury and then my own ability to spike is greatly improved. (I also run sigil of minor accuracy in sPvP to up my critical chance.)

I might try OH Sword with this, as it’s one of my favorite Phants for damage, but I will miss the control aspect of the OH Pistol stun. Maybe switch to Sigil of Domination for the stun…

in Mesmer

djtool.8372

There is a passage of time between the block and the return strike. I’m happy its working for you with your setup. Gl and enjoy.

That block should trigger less than 1 second after you cast it. If its any longer than you are giving the opponent the advantage.

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

There is a passage of time between the block and the return strike. I’m happy its working for you with your setup. Gl and enjoy.

not all attack are barrages. Some attacks are burst which the block is perfectly suited to counter.

Yes i understand there is a delay be block and counterattack, but it summons a clone too which can be used for shatter fonder.

Even if you dismiss the weapon, it doesnt mean the weapon is weak at all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

So guys I just made the most op mesmer build and i sure as hell wont spill it because it will get nerfed. This phantasm build has not lost. The only hint you can get is dueling meh or spectatin meh XD

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

So guys I just made the most op mesmer build and i sure as hell wont spill it because it will get nerfed. This phantasm build has not lost. The only hint you can get is dueling meh or spectatin meh XD

Been there, done that my friend.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Overpowered-PvP-Phantasm-Build/page/4#post2083314

in Mesmer

Zelulose.8695

Been there, done that my friend.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Overpowered-PvP-Phantasm-Build/page/4#post2083314

no this build owns with practically full hp and no stealth Its just OP

in Mesmer

Zelulose.8695

Duel me and you will think its a glitch

online 8:30-10:00 eastern time

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Gladly will duel you.

in Mesmer

Zelulose.8695

Gladly will duel you.

>XD just message me u have my account name.

(edited by Zelulose.8695)

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

Gladly will duel you.

dont worry.

1 vs 1 phastasm build wont be nerf because anet do not balance base on 1 vs 1

in Mesmer

Zelulose.8695

Gladly will duel you.

dont worry.

There are ways to play phantasm/shatter in teams I guess most players just don’t know how. My character Angel is able to pop in for burst and pop out rather quickly like a thief would. Also, clergyman is a shinigami of death XD

in Mesmer

Havana.8625

Now I’m curious as to how this duel went!

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I beat him. Quickly. Multiple times.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

We saw the video pyro… He just stood there… I don’t even think he got a single clone out… which… lol?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

We saw the video pyro… He just stood there… I don’t even think he got a single clone out… which… lol?

Where is this video? He mentioned he was putting it on the forums, but I couldn’t find it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaidax.7835

Gaidax.7835

I tried a lot of combinations in sPvP and in my opinion the best overall is GS + S/P 20/20/0/25/5 build with Berserker Amulet and Jewel. I’m using 5xOgre 1x Divinity and Sigil of Whatsitsface that gives +50 power on kill with sigils of energy for more dodging. With that you can easily get 2500 power and your duelist will spike up to 5k + bleeds.

The point for going berserker is that we really have a lot of active defenses with stealth, blink, blurred frenzy, mirror, CC and extra dodges from sigils and vigor that you can often end a fight without even taking more that like 20% damage.

You can delay the moment when you take damage for a really long time and that’s all your phantasms need and with full berserker stats they will really rock the enemy fast.

The only 2 real counters for this are a super glass cannon thief that manages to land that initial overcharged backstab and keeps up the pressure and AoE spamming D/D Ele (but he has to be a really good player – average ones are food), everything else is either easy or average.

Berserker Gear also teaches you to play, you will learn to juke and escape 1vX situations like a pro – things like stealing a Svanir/Chieftain kill at the start and then running away from the average angry mob will become a norm, besides it is thrilling and more fun.

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

Where is this video? He mentioned he was putting it on the forums, but I couldn’t find it.

ENJOY!

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

ENJOY!

Heh. I did do quite a bit of a lockdown didn’t I…

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

ENJOY!

he also had absolutely no stunbreakers in his weaponsets or his utility skills… Powerful or not any class will wreck someone that doesn’t run at least one stun breaker. And as someone that makes heavy use of idefender (you) don’t you think he was a little lacking in when he brought that bad boy out.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

he looks terrible, clicking skills, slow reactions, terrible utilities, i mean kitten he didnt even charge his mantras before it began.

i like how he blew all his dodges at the start of the fight, it’s as if he thinks evading will prevent phantasms from spawning.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

ENJOY!

he also had absolutely no stunbreakers in his weaponsets or his utility skills… Powerful or not any class will wreck someone that doesn’t run at least one stun breaker. And as someone that makes heavy use of idefender (you) don’t you think he was a little lacking in when he brought that bad boy out.

Well, he didn’t have much choice in the matter. He was either dazed, stunned, or I was invisible the entire time up until the last 4 seconds of the duel.

What confuses me is why he didn’t pre-charge his mantras…

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

Gladly will duel you.

dont worry.

There are ways to play phantasm/shatter in teams I guess most players just don’t know how. My character Angel is able to pop in for burst and pop out rather quickly like a thief would. Also, clergyman is a shinigami of death XD

I am really interested in you build. From the looks of it, its a pure shutdown phastasm build.

Can I request a duel with my own unique mesmer build. I bet i can get you to half life before dying. lol

Two reason, I want practice against someone who really know how to use interrupts and I need to test my own build

Dont worry, I am dont want this dueling build of yours

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

he looks terrible, clicking skills, slow reactions, terrible utilities, i mean kitten he didnt even charge his mantras before it began.

i like how he blew all his dodges at the start of the fight, it’s as if he thinks evading will prevent phantasms from spawning.

Dude, he has incredible timing. He chain 3 stuns continously, so Pyro was rendered useless for 4 seconds. Zelulose.8695 is quite a skilled mesmer

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Dude, he has incredible timing. He chain 3 stuns continously, so Pyro was rendered useless for 4 seconds. Zelulose.8695 is quite a skilled mesmer

I was the one doing the stunning, not the one being stunned. The video was from Zelulose’s perspective. Note the direction the PMs are going.

in Mesmer

loseridoit.2756

I was the one doing the stunning, not the one being stunned. The video was from Zelulose’s perspective. Note the direction the PMs are going.

ahhhh…

i was dispointed………….

d’oh.

in Mesmer

Havana.8625

I didn’t see anyone answer my questions for which sigils work best with phantasm builds yet. Any ideas?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I didn’t see anyone answer my questions for which sigils work best with phantasm builds yet. Any ideas?

PvE, WvW or sPvP?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

lol Pyro, did you ever get to duel that other guy who thinks his shatter build is all that? Corey or something like that.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend