Help me pick a legendary!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Part of the reason I don’t have a legendary yet, is because I don’t know which one to work towards. I want my first legendary to be for my mesmer, but I don’t know which one to choose.

I’ve narrowed it down to either Bolt, or one of the greatswords. But none of them look quite ‘mesmery’. And if I go for a greatsword, I would very much prefer Eternity just because of the effects – and it fits with my mesmer. (yes, I’d be willing to make it despite the cost of being two separate legendary weapons).

Thoughts?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I use staff most in WvW. However I use Sword in PvE. I don’t really like the look of Bolt though. I believe Anet did mention new legendaries are coming but who knows.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Gather the mats until they announce the new set of legendaries.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I agree with Thedenofsin in a way. You can gather everything you need that will be required no matter which one you decide to make. Personally, I started out to make Bolt (I really do like that, and use sword in my build), but then decided to make Sunrise instead (also use GS in my build). All I had to change was the precursor and change gossamer out for leather. Though … now I’ve pretty much decided to make both, so I still have a LOT of more gathering and farming to do :-\

I think before spending anything on “expensive” gear, you should decide what type of build you want to play. So, where are you playing for end game? PvE? WvW? You’ll typically want different builds for different areas. Again, speaking for myself, I’m leaning toward using my mes only in WvW, and use my warrior for all PvE content. But take your time. No need to rush it when it will take you a long time just to get the “generic” legendary gifts.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

I think before spending anything on “expensive” gear, you should decide what type of build you want to play. So, where are you playing for end game? PvE? WvW? You’ll typically want different builds for different areas. Again, speaking for myself, I’m leaning toward using my mes only in WvW, and use my warrior for all PvE content. But take your time. No need to rush it when it will take you a long time just to get the “generic” legendary gifts.

This mesmer is mostly for PvE. That goes for dungeons, fractals, world map, etc. Only WvW would come from zerging, so all I’d really need to focus on is utility.

And you all do have a fair point. I’ll just start working on the shared half of legendary items. Where did Anet say about new legendary acquisition? I did not hear of that before.

in Mesmer

ozmaniandevil.6805

This mesmer is mostly for PvE. That goes for dungeons, fractals, world map, etc. Only WvW would come from zerging, so all I’d really need to focus on is utility.

And you all do have a fair point. I’ll just start working on the shared half of legendary items. Where did Anet say about new legendary acquisition? I did not hear of that before.

I’m not sure about new legendaries.

For PvE I suggest a focus on DPS, so more of a berserker build (my opinion). With that in mind, you’ll want to try some different builds based on a power spec, and try them out. See what feels good and works for your purposes. Once you have build sorted out, you can choose the “right” legendaries.

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

I used to use a focus, but after switching to the sword, I don’t want to change back. The sword is a lot more fun with my playstyle.

Here’s my reasoning: Staff is only picked up for utility, and my main offhand choice is pistol. However, I don’t like the quip design. The other offhands are also picked mainly for utility, so the torch and focus legendary are pretty much out. That pretty much left me with the sword or greatsword.

Edit: Why did I think focus = scepter? Eh. Focus is great, but I really want the legendary to be on my main hand.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

If you are interested in PvE take a look at a 10/30/0/20/10 or 0/30/0/25/15 build with Sword/Sword or Sword/Focus or Sword/Pistol as weapons and learn to melee and dodge. Mesmer is one of the best surviving classes at melee range.

Once you do that pick a legendary but imo all the current ones suck Whisper weapons for the win!

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

I already HAVE my build. I already HAVE my own playstyle. I know how to melee and dodge with mesmer. I don’t need to change my traits. I’ve been playing main mesmer since I got this game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

So you are using sword most of your time… Bolt?
Anyway, I love Bolt lightnings. Also mesmers doesnt swing the gs too much, so theveffects of a legendary are somoehow “wasted”.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I personally love how Sunrise looks on Mesmer. The way the trail follows your Mirror Blade while it bounces and as you dodge around, summon iZerker, etc. is.. well, mesmerizing. I find it far more beautiful to look at on my Mesmer than with most other professions.

If you’re looking to pick up a Legendary, think about what weapon(s) you tend to use the most. What will you get more joy out of, because you are using it often?

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Mesmer

ozmaniandevil.6805

Absconditus is right. That was also the point of my post. You need to find out what you will USE because a legendary that you never pull out because you don’t like to play with it is not a good one. Similarly, one that you use only because it’s your legendary, but don’t enjoy, well… that isn’t going to be enjoyable, you know?

I’m glad I took a year before deciding on my legendary weapons. I know what I will use, although now I’m just now sure which character to equip them on :p

in Mesmer

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I have the meteorologicus and am presently working on the minstrel (since I use the focus a lot). I don’t use scepter that much but thought it had the best look out of all the legendaries. As for GS I made an ascended one and used a black lion ticket and got the bat GS. It is awesome because not only you spew bats but your clones do as well. Given the mesmers GS actions the bat sword is the best looking for Mesmer (I’ve gotten a lot of comments from other players who’ve seen it for the first time). GS auto attack spin of the sword spirals the bats out is pretty awesome looking.

in Mesmer

Posted by: rei.3654

rei.3654

I wish the actual mesh for bolt was nicer, the effects are great! But I have a sunrise myself. I use staff a lot as well though. The Kasmeer staff is good enough for me however

Make a juggernaut. lol!

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

Guess I forgot to mention my choice weapons are sword/pistol and GS. That’s why I narrowed it down to either the sword or GS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

Hmmmm it really does depend.

When making a legendary consider a couple of things.
1) are u even going to use the legendary’s weapon type through the majority of your play?
2) after deciding what weapon types you will use. Decide from the options of those narrowed down weapon types what legendary’s appearance you find most pleasing and really speaks to your own style and character.

Bolt would be a solid choice because we use sword in a lot of our builds. More than 90% I would say. That’s considering off hand and main hand sword BTW.
I am not saying that you should pick bolt. What I am saying is that it would be a solid choice.

I am working on twilight for my mesmer. Almost done too.
I was thinking bolt or twilight(hate the look of sunrise).
Bolt was a nice idea. But when it came to deciding based on looks
I liked darkness far more than lightning.
I decided to go with twilight. Because great-sword on Mesmer is one of the coolest combat styles I’ve ever seen in a video game, and the dark aura really fits my character.

Anyway Good luck with your choice.
And EVEN more LUCK in the creation of it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dekk.3459

Dekk.3459

So you are using sword most of your time… Bolt?
Anyway, I love Bolt lightnings. Also mesmers doesnt swing the gs too much, so theveffects of a legendary are somoehow “wasted”.

agreed

in Mesmer

Arikyali.5804

I like bolt, but it just doesn’t feel ‘mesmery’ enough.

I guess an example would be my current GS, with the Zenith skin. It doesn’t look like a real sword – it’s made of several golden crystals held together by energy, collapsing when sheathed and expanding when drawn. The Bolt effects are nice, but electricity doesn’t match a mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: squallaus.8321

squallaus.8321

Making a legendary weapon for Mesmer is like going to vote in an election. You have 3 major parties. 1) Staff 2) Greatsword 3) Others.
Just make the weapon that you think you will use the most. I personally went with staff.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cylokin.2560

Cylokin.2560

Twilight looks indeed Mesmery to me, imo it really looks better on Mesmer than Warrior for example, but that’s just me.

I have Twilight and Bolt on my Mesmer, maybe you should make Bolt, it is the most used weapon on Mesmer.