HoT and Mesmer weapon

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

This is just to add my 2 cents on what we “know” for the expansion concerning mesmer off hand shield. What really bugs me is that most classes will get a 2h weapon which adds a full 5 set of skills, ranger gets staff, guardian gets longbow, engi gets hammer, necro gets great sword etc…

We as mesmer get a shield with 2 skills which will not change the boring s/x pve meta, I would have preferred to at least get a main hand weapon which could at least go as a second set because our off hand focus and sword are already perfect. A rifle could have been awesome also since our range options are kind of bad… I feel like mesmer gets the short end of the stick even if we still have more to discover on the expansion.

What do you guys think?

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Mesmers are probably the least favoured class among the devs, they have shown this time and again. This is doesn’t surprise me. First we get a shield and then an off hand weapon. That says it all.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darkpsyde.4782

Darkpsyde.4782

What’s funny is that the classes that currently have access to a shield rarely even use them (aside from engineer). Focus is more likely to be chosen over shield on most Guardian setups, and Warriors are more commonly using axe, warhorn, or sword as offhands. What could a shield possibly bring to a mesmer that is more desirable than the effects of offhand sword, focus, or pistol? That’s the real question that remains to be answered.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

If we get a good way to mitigate damage I’m completely down with having a shield. If we don’t then the devs failed us again lol. Those don’t seem like terrible odds I guess.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabwa.7358

Sabwa.7358

I really like shield aesthetically but I’m not planning on using it alongside my other OH’s. All I have to say is that it better have some nice new class mechanics and trait line to go with it and even then I don’t plan on using it.

To be realistic though, there are only so many 2-handed weps out there that they can’t give each prof a new 2 handed weapon each expansion. Someone’s going to draw the short end of the stick and tbh I don’t mind it too much.

We’ll crush the other profs and their shiny new weapons with or without our shield!

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Daxxter.8920

I really like shield aesthetically but I’m not planning on using it alongside my other OH’s. All I have to say is that it better have some nice new class mechanics and trait line to go with it and even then I don’t plan on using it.

To be realistic though, there are only so many 2-handed weps out there that they can’t give each prof a new 2 handed weapon each expansion. Someone’s going to draw the short end of the stick and tbh I don’t mind it too much.

We’ll crush the other profs and their shiny new weapons with or without our shield!

Well it’s more for the fact that I am100% sure nearly all the classes will bring something else to new build, necro will go GS for sure, engi has range kits so melee hammer could be awesome, guardian LB instead of that slow scepter but the mesmer will stay with the meta and run that slow hitting sword with the long cooldown oh burst. At least I don’t know if we got pistol or mace or dager main hand we could have a second kit on us instead of just taking an offhand on second weapon kit with no main hand.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Omnio.3652

Omnio.3652

Well we don’t know if shield is all we get, or do we? Maybe there is a main weapon we are getting as well. If not, well… another thing Anet would failed at.

Was he swedish?
Yes.
A moose. It was a moose.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t painfully obvious to anybody that we have needed a new mainhand weapon for the last 3 years. People were already noticing this in beta and yet when finally given the chance to do something about it anet gives us another off hand.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Well we don’t know if shield is all we get, or do we? Maybe there is a main weapon we are getting as well. If not, well… another thing Anet would failed at.

Anet has stated explicitly that only one weapon will be getting released per class.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Twiggy Stick.9367

Twiggy Stick.9367

Reason why mesmers are getting an offhand weapon, is because every phantasm is on the offhand weps, other then the two handlers.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Shortbow would’ve been an interesting choice for a Mesmer weapon. They could have used it in melee like a crescent blade (with illusory edges covering the weapon’s front) and the no. 5 skill (phantasm) would act like a reverse phase retreat: teleport to an enemy and leave a phantasm in your place that uses a borrowed shortbow skill. A quick, painless way (not iLeap/Swap, which is still buggy) to switch from ranged to melee within one skill bar would fit the Mesmer nicely.

From a design standpoint, shields are just too boring and cumbersome for a profession that relies on finesse and style.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

(edited by Makai.3429)

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darkpsyde.4782

Darkpsyde.4782

Maybe the shield phantasm will have a trait that draws conditions from the mesmer (similar to how warden absorbs—>reflects projectiles) functioning kinda like having a revenant as a pet? Lol…yeah…that’ll happen

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mesmers are probably the least favoured class among the devs, they have shown this time and again.

Ah, the good ol’ “The devs hate us”-wristing.
Always a favorite of MMO players everywhere because it does essentially the same thing religious omnipotent beings did for people in ages past to explain natural phenoma like lightning or tidal waves.

“Ofc we don’t get buffs, I mean, the devs hate us!” Easier than having to admit we frankly don’t know why we’re not getting buffed, false as it will be.
(Devs have much better things to do with their time, like developing or getting a coffee or heading home to their families early, than hating on single classes or favoring the others.)

Also remember Ghostcrawler in WoW. When he left, people asked whether he could finally talk about his ingame account, and what he plays. Because for years, people were certain that classes were being favored “Because GC plays them”, and specs like Holy Priest or Resto Shaman went essentially forgotten for entire expansions because GC hates them.
His reply? Holy Priest. Been his main ever since he started. Also makes sense, given the need to avoid personal favorites accusations. So the one spec people were sure the devs just forgot about for the most part, yep, personal main of the lead.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Reason why mesmers are getting an offhand weapon, is because every phantasm is on the offhand weps, other then the two handlers.

By that line of thinking, ANet could have given us Hammer, Long/Short bow or Rifle, since 2handers have phantasms.

Anyway, they said who gets 1hander will get “something just as good” to make up for the lack of new weapon skills. The only thing we can do is wait and see if this “something” is indeed “just as good”. I don’t believe it will, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt (again).

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Shortbow would’ve been an interesting choice for a Mesmer weapon. They could have used it in melee like a crescent blade (with illusory edges covering the weapon’s front) and the no. 5 skill (phantasm) would act like a reverse phase retreat: teleport to an enemy and leave a phantasm in your place that uses a borrowed shortbow skill. A quick, painless way (not iLeap/Swap, which is still buggy) to switch from ranged to melee within one skill bar would fit the Mesmer nicely.

From a design standpoint, shields are just too boring and cumbersome for a profession that relies on finesse and style.

Yeah, melee shortbow would be fun.

But let’s not ignore the real reason – we all know most mesmers would then run around with the Dreamer.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

I won’t be so sad if one shield skills is a useful (hopeful thoughts from trailer) AoE + combo field and the phantasm has blast finisher. Just think about it, 3 phantasms with blast finisher will create our might stacking potential (still need fire from others) in PvE. And maaaaayyyyybe mesmers get their own celestial meta in PvP? I know the useless stats and phantasm die too fast to produce plenty of blasts so it certainly won’t be OP lol.

More realistically, I just wish those 2 skills have low CD like sword offhand. Even if we get a 5 skill weapon it may end up like staff where majority of time we’re just pressing 1 or 2.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Skills that would be awesome on a shield, any of the dot points.

4 (Phantasmal)

• Summons a phantasm to create a feedback dome around itself, reflecting projectiles. (cd 25s)
  • Summons a phantasm which creates shock waves that cripple up to 5 enemies. (AoE, Blast finisher). (cd 20s)

5 (Anything)

• Absorb projectiles and reflect them as confusing bolts. (3s, free to move while doing so). (cd kitten
  • Throw your shield into your foe and launch them. (Yes, we all crave for a launch ability for decap potential). (cd 40s)
  • Blast foes around you, inflicting confusion to foes and gaining regeneration and protection. (Combo finisher blast, boon duration = 5s, confusion duration = 4s). (cd 40s)
  • Block attacks. Foes are confused when blocked, 1 stack for 3s.

Ideal trait: reduces recharge on shield skills by 20% and:

• Gain 5s Retaliation on use of a shield skill
  • Heal yourself on use of a shield skill(1000?)
  • Apply protection to yourself and allies on use.
  • Steal boons from your opponent.

Any of these would invent the on-point hybrid mesmer, and provide resistance against the gay ranger meta.

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Henrik.7560)

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

What’s funny is that the classes that currently have access to a shield rarely even use them (aside from engineer). Focus is more likely to be chosen over shield on most Guardian setups, and Warriors are more commonly using axe, warhorn, or sword as offhands. What could a shield possibly bring to a mesmer that is more desirable than the effects of offhand sword, focus, or pistol? That’s the real question that remains to be answered.

perhaps a “power block” when using shield that actually works against thieves (or future revenants)!?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Daxxter.8920

As I already stated, what bugs me is not the fact that shield will be useless because mesmer has awesome offhand weapons, it’s the fact that if you follow the meta you end up with your second kit equiped only with 1 offhand. It would have been awesomme not being stuck with a sword all the time with the slow auto attack and the traited 9 second burst cooldown on #2 skill and actually have another decent mainhand option to compliment the sword.

I am also having trouble to see how an offhand with 2 skills can be “just as good” as a 2h like a hammer or a GS with 5 skills or than a 1h giving you 3 skills and could give a better auto attack option.

(edited by Daxxter.8920)

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

How can you guys already QQ before you even got our weapon, utilities and especially new class mechanic … how short minded can one be …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

How can you guys already QQ before you even got our weapon, utilities and especially new class mechanic … how short minded can one be …

Quite a few of us have been playing Mesmer since beta and all of these promises and direction that they had for Mesmers became null and void or completely not in the realm of what we need.

You call it short-minded, we call it cautiously optimistic with a dash of pessimism.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Well anet has shown time and time again that mesmers can’t have nice things.
* glamour build- gone Nonexistent now.

• actual confusion builds that relied on constant blind applications- totallg gone
  • clone death builds gutted
  • illusionist celerity nerf hammered then slightly less
  • portal cd massively increased long ago
  • mainhand sword- shadow of its formal self
  • nearly all new gm traits Freaking useless. MtD is the closest one to good. The rest are god awful (Maybe triumphant distortion in wvw but otherwise no)
  • mantras- mesmer may as well be chanting " kill me now"

This is just off the top of my head as to why i am skeptical about anything for this class in HoT

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

• actual confusion builds that relied on constant blind applications- totallg gone
  • nearly all new gm traits Freaking useless. MtD is the closest one to good. The rest are god awful (Maybe triumphant distortion in wvw but otherwise no)

This is just off the top of my head as to why i am skeptical about anything for this class in HoT

All from community forum whine. And thieves think they have it harder, what a joke.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Regarding MH sword, I admit I do prefer the new iLeap to the old one given it allows you to blink up/down terrain to follow your enemy. Of course the Swap, BF and AA nerfs outweigh that though.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

new class mechanic

how deluded can one be

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Colin did say “those getting only a new 1 handed weapon will still get something just as good (as 2 hander)” (im paraphrasing) so there is a chance one of our CURRENT weapons will be usable in a different slot (Pistol becoming available for mainhand).

This keeps the “1 new weapon per class” and satisfies the “just as good as 2 hander.”

Just a guess thats going around.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Colin did say “those getting only a new 1 handed weapon will still get something just as good (as 2 hander)” (im paraphrasing) so there is a chance one of our CURRENT weapons will be usable in a different slot (Pistol becoming available for mainhand).

This keeps the “1 new weapon per class” and satisfies the “just as good as 2 hander.”

Just a guess thats going around.

That’s less than a guess, it’s more of an extreme twisting of his words to suit the fantasies that people refuse to let go of. We’re not getting a mainhand pistol with HoT, it’s simply not happening. It’s been stated in no uncertain terms that it will only be 1 new weapon unlocked per class.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

So many whiny people geeze

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rubedo.8769

Rubedo.8769

Just roll a revenant when their released, that’s apparently what Anet wants anyway

Through fear we become Gods

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Botlike.6478

Botlike.6478

Skills that would be awesome on a shield, any of the dot points.

4 (Phantasmal)

• Summons a phantasm to create a feedback dome around itself, reflecting projectiles. (cd 25s)
  • Summons a phantasm which creates shock waves that cripple up to 5 enemies. (AoE, Blast finisher). (cd 20s)

5 (Anything)

• Absorb projectiles and reflect them as confusing bolts. (3s, free to move while doing so). (cd kitten
  • Throw your shield into your foe and launch them. (Yes, we all crave for a launch ability for decap potential). (cd 40s)
  • Blast foes around you, inflicting confusion to foes and gaining regeneration and protection. (Combo finisher blast, boon duration = 5s, confusion duration = 4s). (cd 40s)
  • Block attacks. Foes are confused when blocked, 1 stack for 3s.

Ideal trait: reduces recharge on shield skills by 20% and:

• Gain 5s Retaliation on use of a shield skill
  • Heal yourself on use of a shield skill(1000?)
  • Apply protection to yourself and allies on use.
  • Steal boons from your opponent.

Any of these would invent the on-point hybrid mesmer, and provide resistance against the gay ranger meta.

To skill 4: I really like the idea with the feedback phantasm, but i don’t see them mixing a utilitie-trait group (glamour) in a weapon skill.

To skill 5: Im pretty sure we all saw skill 5 already. In the trailer the mesmer uses a ground target aoe skill, just like chaosstorm.
And we know about the new mechanic that slows all abilities.
Combined with visual effect and look of the skill (a clock) there is no doubt for me that this skill will apply just that. Maybe with a daze at the end, noticing that there are 2 explosions: #1 when the clock hands connect and #2 a sec after that.

any opinios on my thought?

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I really want a main hand pistol so – you could have a pistol/pistol Mesmer. I proposed this ages ago and even came up with skills for the main hand pistol. It would make a Mesmer more useful in a variety of situations.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Just roll a revenant when their released, that’s apparently what Anet wants anyway

Not just Anet … any MMO hypes up the “new” class. Sure, I’ll try one … but it’s not replacing my Mesmer and Thief. No one replaces those wacky kids.

As for Mesmer Shield? I can only hope for some crazy time-mangler abilities … something like the crap Akemi Homura pulls in Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

I know I am, and Mesmer will probably have another GM trait that doesnt work against that class. It’s in Anet’s best intention to completely screw over the Mesmer in favor of another class.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

I know I am, and Mesmer will probably have another GM trait that doesnt work against that class. It’s in Anet’s best intention to completely screw over the Mesmer in favor of another class.

I’m generally (along with Pyro, of course) one of the first folk to say that ANet’s folk have minimal-to-no clue how to balance Mesmer. However, there’s a world of difference between:

1. cluelessness.
    and
  2. directly jerking folk around.

I absolutely believe in the first. Indeed, I’m been convinced for months that the team who designed the professions is not the same team that currently balances them.
However, it’s not (logically) in ANet’s interest to deliberately torque off any profession’s playerbase. After all, they want folk spending money. Ticked-off folk spend less money, if any. (Although, certain things in game do make a fair counter to my argument; for example, Engineers and Hobosacks …)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

So they said only one new weapon per class, right? I envision them giving Mesmers mainhand pistol AND shield, because pistol is NOT a new weapon for Mesmers, even if there are different skills added for the main hand.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

I just don’t get what the shield will bring to the Mesmer.

Mesmer isn’t that “tanky”. Thus, a defensive weapon could come into ones mind when think what to give to the Mesmer.
However:
How “good” could those defensive shield skill ever be? You have to consider, that for going “tank”, a Mesmer would probably take Sword/Shield.
But in my opinion, this means that we would never receive sth like a “full defense”/Block Skill on the shield, since we would have to “almost invulnerable” skills in one weaponset.
In addition, one of the 2 Shield skill is going to be a phantasm skill. So which one will it be? There is already a “shield phantasm”, it’s the phantasmal defender.
Furthermore, illusions disappear if their target dies, which makes them not a really good source for a proper defense (especially regarding pvp).

The next problem is, that Mesmer still has only one melee weapon: Mainhand sword.
So what exactly is the point of the shield, if you still can’t play full melee?

But maybe, they will do with Mesmer shield sth like with Mesmer Greatsword and relate it to a combate style not typical for this kind of weapon.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

Mesmers are probably the least favoured class among the devs, they have shown this time and again.

Ah, the good ol’ “The devs hate us”-wristing.
Always a favorite of MMO players everywhere because it does essentially the same thing religious omnipotent beings did for people in ages past to explain natural phenoma like lightning or tidal waves.

“Ofc we don’t get buffs, I mean, the devs hate us!” Easier than having to admit we frankly don’t know why we’re not getting buffed, false as it will be.
(Devs have much better things to do with their time, like developing or getting a coffee or heading home to their families early, than hating on single classes or favoring the others.)

Also remember Ghostcrawler in WoW. When he left, people asked whether he could finally talk about his ingame account, and what he plays. Because for years, people were certain that classes were being favored “Because GC plays them”, and specs like Holy Priest or Resto Shaman went essentially forgotten for entire expansions because GC hates them.
His reply? Holy Priest. Been his main ever since he started. Also makes sense, given the need to avoid personal favorites accusations. So the one spec people were sure the devs just forgot about for the most part, yep, personal main of the lead.

It’s not that devs hate [our class], just that they don’t have a clue wtf they are doing with it. They took GW1 mesmer, changed everything except the names of some skills and created a clone spamming “1v1 ranged dmg dealer.” I think a strong case can be made that the devs do not know what to do with our class or even what the mesmer is supposed to be in GW2 and that is why we aren’t getting the buffs/changes/fixes most players think we should be.

I mean seriously a kittening shield?

(edited by MSFone.3026)

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

I’m generally (along with Pyro, of course) one of the first folk to say that ANet’s folk have minimal-to-no clue how to balance Mesmer. However, there’s a world of difference between:

1. cluelessness.
    and

I absolutely believe in the first. Indeed, I’m been convinced for months that the team who designed the professions is not the same team that currently balances them.
However, it’s not (logically) in ANet’s interest to deliberately torque off any profession’s playerbase. After all, they want folk spending money. Ticked-off folk spend less money, if any. (Although, certain things in game do make a fair counter to my argument; for example, Engineers and Hobosacks …)

Mesmer is the least played class and we are absolutely hated by the PvP community no matter what our current balance state is.

Just saying.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: Botlike.6478

Botlike.6478

Nice to see everyone ignores my post completly, and just keeps going QQ, cause thats what is all about to you. I see.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Advent.6193

Nice to see everyone ignores my post completly, and just keeps going QQ, cause thats what is all about to you. I see.

… Looks like S.O.P. for the Internet from over here …
Not to mention, all we have to go on are the images in the original trailer … not much to really theorize on.

With that said, and considering the dual nature of many Mesmer skills:

• We pretty much can assume Shield will have a Phantasm. Frankly, it’d be a good place to toss Taunt in as an ability. Between that Phant and an IDefender out, it could be interesting for PvE mob control.
    Only problem there … is that it’d need something other than Taunt, since it’d have zero use in WvW/PvP otherwise. Maybe it also tosses Regen or Prot on the Mesmer?
  • The second ability would logically be the “blast” effect seen in the trailer. My guess’d be: two strike ability; first hit slaps down Slow, second’s up in the air. (Mainly going with that logic due to the clock imagery. It’d be funny if the darn thing pulled enemies inward, then blasted ’em back.)

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

The reason most people are ignoring your post and the one you replied to is that the shield skills have almost definitely been coded and finished for probably months already. No amount of forum speculation or discussion will change them at all.

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: nDroid.8190

nDroid.8190

1. cluelessness.
    and

Lol i still remember the Stattered Strenght buff, after which the devs apologized to the community for breaking the game, though no one apologized for breaking our class

HoT and Mesmer weapon

in Mesmer

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

What if it was a main hand and off hand shield?
Dual shields!!! So OP, must have!