How did you fare with this episode's boss?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

Spoilers!! I couldn’t fit the spoiler tag in the title, stupid 45 character limit.

My backpiece and all my armor were broken when I finally finished the guy off. If I had to guess a number then maybe 8 – 12 deaths total. How did you fare with the class with the lowest damage? Be honest please.

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Duoed it with fay, she went down once, that’s it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Soloed it with power chrono speced for insp and dueling, with shield, GS, one well, and decoy. I use the same shatter spike combos that I do for PvP in PvE while solo.

Went down once after tabbing to swap my mouse binding for the extra key that pops up, I thought I could do it quick enough. (hindsight I should have done so after the first phase.)

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

For the record, both of us were running basically our normal raid spec gear, commander stuff with wells, alacrity, permaquickness, etc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Ran Domination/Dueling/Chronomancer and died three times. The constant CC and moving walls messed me up something fierce, and having the adds kill my DPS felt bad, but I persevered regardless.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Haven’t finished the fight yet. Between lag and a bad keybind for the special action key that didn’t allow me to always hit it in time the fight was too frustrating for how late it was. I’m not really a fan of so much kitten going on in such a small space in the first place, so its not an overly fun fight for me. I appreciate why it was made so chaotic given the nature of the fight, but I don’t like it.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Haven’t finished the fight yet. Between lag and a bad keybind for the special action key that didn’t allow me to always hit it in time the fight was too frustrating for how late it was. I’m not really a fan of so much kitten going on in such a small space in the first place, so its not an overly fun fight for me. I appreciate why it was made so chaotic given the nature of the fight, but I don’t like it.

I honestly just didn’t get that sense at all, I’m not sure where it’s coming from. The fight didn’t seem overly chaotic really. Just run around the outside of the arena picking up shards and chucking them at him until the shield is down, then just dump the full PvE buff combo rotating invulns, blocks, and blurred frenzy until the shield comes back up. Just make sure you’ve got a good keybind for the special action key and…that’s about it. I didn’t even have a stunbreaker in the fight, you can just hit distortion if you really need to get out of a knockdown.

in Mesmer

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I soloed it and only died three times, mostly from that kitten bow jade armor -.- I was running Chaos/Insp/Chrono and Sc/Focus and shield. I was able to keep moving and still deal damage, pick up the stones and throw and still be attacking him in between. The knockdowns sucked though!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

I just let my phantasms/chronophantasma do the dirty work as I ran in circles to throw the shards. Solo, no deaths.

Same on my ranger… It’s probably harder on professions with no way to remove aggro from yourself.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I honestly just didn’t get that sense at all, I’m not sure where it’s coming from. The fight didn’t seem overly chaotic really. Just run around the outside of the arena picking up shards and chucking them at him until the shield is down, then just dump the full PvE buff combo rotating invulns, blocks, and blurred frenzy until the shield comes back up. Just make sure you’ve got a good keybind for the special action key and…that’s about it. I didn’t even have a stunbreaker in the fight, you can just hit distortion if you really need to get out of a knockdown.

For me it came from the lag and the bad keybind. By the time the action key would appear I would have less than 1/4 sec to hit it, and with just not being used to using it and the aforementioned bad keybind I rarely did hit it in time to avoid his attack that knocks you back. Get hit with one of those when distortion is on CD and you can easily be knocked around for 5+ seconds depending on how unlucky you are. That’s why it was so chaotic for me.

On the bright side this has encouraged me to suck it up and come up with better keybinds, especially for the special action key.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Once I found an appropriate keybind for the special action key it was fine. A bit miserable before hand. The Jade Armour is the real threat for the most part.

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Uvirith.9573

Uvirith.9573

Died alot, respawned alot, killed the boss only because I was able to come back in fight without it being reset

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

The key part was the special action key. I didn’t have a key bind (had to click) and it didn’t go well at first … Not clicking in time is very punishing.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Welp, I’m certainly not going to complain about ANet making the final fight easier. But I must say I was looking forward towards testing it out as it was after I had come up with better keybinds. Alas, I will have to find other content to test myself with, after I do come up with better keybinds that is.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I really needed the counter magic keybind. Still, soloed him after I figured out to keep spamming bloodstone fragments on in him in the second phase.

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

First time I did it on ele, got a jade bow spawn I didn’t see which wiped me due to death penalty a few times but second time I did the fight no jade bow spawned and the fight was very easy to deal with.

I guess it will take longer on mesmer but I don’t see any mechanics that specifically punish the mesmer except adds but even they are fairly weak.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Soloed it with my usual open world power/illusion/chronomancer (Was using a fried golden dumpling though) shatter build. Sword/Shield – Greatsword, Berserker/Commander mix for 100% boon duration when Sigil of Concentration is active.

It wasn’t particularly difficult, but it was definitely a horribly designed encounter purely due to the camera. I really have to wonder if it was actually playtested, the walls/roof are just way too close and make moving it quite jerky.

It’s hard to get engrossed when you’re constantly fighting with the camera.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

@apharma – The fight was nerfed pretty heavily yesterday, and the second time you did it was post nerf. They lengthened the time you have to hit the special action key (which helps out immensely for those who didn’t have a good keybind, or any keybind for that matter), decreased the amount of knockbacks and stuns, and also removed the jade bow from the fight which was a large source of knockback attacks as well.

You are right though that none of the mechanics are hard for the mesmer class, which is awesome. It was just hard for those of us with bad keybinds for the special action key. But now that isn’t a problem anymore either

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

@apharma – The fight was nerfed pretty heavily yesterday, and the second time you did it was post nerf. They lengthened the time you have to hit the special action key (which helps out immensely for those who didn’t have a good keybind, or any keybind for that matter), decreased the amount of knockbacks and stuns, and also removed the jade bow from the fight which was a large source of knockback attacks as well.

You are right though that none of the mechanics are hard for the mesmer class, which is awesome. It was just hard for those of us with bad keybinds for the special action key. But now that isn’t a problem anymore either

Awww Really?

“DARK WERE THE SKIES, AND CHILLED WAS THE WIND! BUT THE CASUALS CRIED SO THEY NERFED THE WEATHER!” – Total Biscuit (Badge Plz)

Jokes aside, I kind of liked the window of time you had to hit it… once it was bound to a good place ofc. Honestly if the content that first introduced it, emphasized urgency to react with it, I think the content could have been left alone, but oh well.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The problem is that it’s an online game, and latency will vary. The average human reaction time to visual stimulus is about 0.25 seconds, while my ping is a little over 0.2 seconds (Australia, but a good connection by Australian standards). That whittles down a window of about a second to more like half a second.

Some people can handle such reaction times, and there are builds and playstyles that reward that, but making it something that everyone must be able to do to avoid an instance being made three times harder is a bit much.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ronharshadow.5246

Ronharshadow.5246

I died a few times during that boss but it was extremely disorientating with the heads moving around, that jade vet really surprised me and was the reason why I died a lot and the surprise of the special action key you have to press also caught me off guard and if you didn’t press it within 1-2 seconds your most likely going to go into downed state and die. I do not believe ANET should nerf the boss but should instead implement a system where if you die multiple times you can have the option of making it easier maybe getting rid of a mechanic, lowering the health/defiance bar.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

This was by far the easiest LS/Acheivements to do on Mesmer. The hardest parts were the small room messing with the camera and I didn’t have a keybind for the special action key.

Of course to make up for this you are surrounded throughout by Mesmers with godlike powers while your doing the equivalent of poking the enemies with a stick.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Of course to make up for this you are surrounded throughout by Mesmers with godlike powers while your doing the equivalent of poking the enemies with a stick.

Yeah! Where’s my city-wide cannon-destroying feedback bubble?!

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Personally I ran GS/staff mesmer in a hybrid crits condipower setup with runes of aristocracy and the most defensive traits and utilities I could use. I did die once due to misclick but other than that it was fine

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yeah! Where’s my city-wide cannon-destroying feedback bubble?!

Or my mind stab that produces another mind stab on 5 enemies?

What about my auto invuln and portal when I die?

How about unlimited range portal?

LS3 makes mesmers look like god’s compared to everyone including player mesmers, it’s rediculous.

Also thanks Ori, haven’t read any patch notes since release of the LS so didn’t realise it had been so swiftly nerfed.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Yea I was surprised as well. It was patched within 12 hours of going live. Absolutely impressive turn around time on that fight

in Mesmer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Wasn’t quite that quick – you can check on the patchnotes thread. At time of writing this post, the patchnotes for the initial release are listed as 7 days ago, the patchnotes for the nerf were 4 days ago. A quick turnaround, but not a same-day turnaround.

Given how much flak they got for it, I’m not surprised.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.