How do I kill you...?

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I. Hate. Fighting. Mesmers.

PvP/WvW doesn’t matter, if after a few seconds of fighting I see that you’ve mastered the timing for teleporting as you summon more clones, I just turn around and go for an easier target. Now granted I have yet to play Mesmer so my understanding of the class is rather limited, but seriously, what is a sure fire way to nail the original? How can I keep the pressure on? Because it seems that you spawn clones whenever the hell you want and have infinite invisibility and teleports, and I’m sitting here playing “which cup is the rock under.” It isn’t fun, it’s annoying, as unless you’re shattering you’re dealing next to no damage as the AoE’s are so easily dodged, hence, giving up on this game of cat and mouse.

Yes… Yes I did just get paired against the same Mesmer on too many PvP matches, so do forgive my… Abrasiveness. But any help would be great

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Conditions, Boons, Awareness.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Clones run in straight lines towards their target and spam one skill only, so as soon as you see someone circling you, dodging, or uses a skill that is not a #1 on a weapon, you found the real one

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayanavi.1904

Ayanavi.1904

Look for any kind of complex gameplay. Clones are pretty dumb, they can only auto-attack. slowly. If you see them running at you, then dodge towards and through them to avoid the shatter damage.

The best way to figure out who is a clone is just experience – Keep a level head. When I sPvP, my goal as a Mesmer is to make people ragequit. If they start kittening on /map and flip their kitten at me, then I’ve done my job. Angry people become predictable, and predictable people get killed.

It is not inaccurate to say that the very concept design of the Mesmer profession is to make our opponents frustrated and angry.

But that said, after you get used to fighting a Mesmer – you just start knowing which one is the clone. Sometimes I’ll get a guardian or thief who are just like “lol, clones? that’s cute.” and just bullrush me no matter what I do. When I fight another Mesmer, its almost instinctual to know “that one is the real one”.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

^ Sums it up nicely. My problem when I’m against another Mesmer is me being like “ATTACK THAT ONE” oh.. I was auto-selecting a clone… it didn’t hit the actual Mesmer…

Aka, I know which one is real, I just can’t keep clicking them after going in/out of stealth.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Dolan.3071

Ah okay I’ll have to keep a closer eye on them (I’m a mouse clicker and mainly use peripherals to keep on enemies and dodge here and there.) Thanks for the quick replies also.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

The above players have given sound advice. If a Mesmer is doing anything other than using an auto-attack or running towards you – that’s the real Mesmer. If it’s running away from you, dodging, using spells or abilities that aren’t auto-attack – that’s the real mesmer.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Go into options and untick show NPC names. There, now only the real Mesmer has a nametag above his or her head.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

^^

Some people are just on you like glue no matter what you do. They might be very skilled but the above reason accounts for a lot of them.

I can dodge, phase retreat, blink behind them, use mirror images and stand and autoattack and they will be on me immediately. This is most likely why.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Also, call target on the real mesmer when you found it. Clone creation doesn’t drop target (though teleport/invisibility do), so it help sorting the visual clutter.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fallen.2158

Fallen.2158

First off Mesmer was the first character i created and is still my main. Other mesmer’s are particularly easy to fight and beat. As mentioned above clones are pretty stupid running in straight lines, throwing out 1 ability. The real mesmer is just a GIVEAWAY. The best tip i can give to finding the real Mesmer is they have more than one buff, and maintenance/food. Fast selection of characters will give it away quick. If suddenly you see 3 people running to you well they are either REALLY dumb or they are explosive and you should dodge that. If they aren’t using food buffs or anything of the sort well they are probably bad anyway and then you just have to look for the “smart” clone, it will dodge roll to create clones, move side to side, and use more than spam 1 skill. Over all the biggest feat to overcome is when Mesmer’s stealth because they can run or completely re-position(stealth into blink) themselves and you have to find them all over again.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Dolan.3071

Go into options and untick show NPC names. There, now only the real Mesmer has a nametag above his or her head.

Whoa does that actually work, wouldn’t that defeat the whole purpose of illusions. Not sure if I’m game to try it as its the easiest way to find/identify people in WvW…

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Yes it works, but it’s probably not intended.

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

While the post is here
How often can a mesmer teleport if he traits for it and uses the right weapon setup?
And what specific skills are those?

Fought a good mesmer last night who kept escaping my stuns/dazes/immobilizes with teleports (not every time, but often enough to keep himself alive). He didn’t use any stealths because I never lost my “target”.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

While the post is here
How often can a mesmer teleport if he traits for it and uses the right weapon setup?
And what specific skills are those?

phase retreat (on staff) has a 5 sec cooldown with the staff cooldown trait and illusionists celerity last i knew

@op
hit them/us, they/we tend to die if they/we get hit enough

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

How do I kill you...?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

@OP If you’re fighting a mesmer that uses the staff mostly, does little physical damage and teleports a lot, they most likely have a rabid build. They won’t be brought down easily by physical attacks because of their high toughness. You have to stack conditions with your attacks. Toughness won’t do jack against condition damage and mesmers don’t have a lot of condition clear skills. The ones we do have, however, are deadly in the right situations. Null Field pulses condition removal but will also remove your boons if you stand in it. Acrane Thievery will swap 3 of a memser’s conditions with their opponent’s boons. Those are the two big ones you have to worry about.