How do you like PVE mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Been seeing a ton of mesmers in PVE as of late. I guess its the torment buff they got. Try as I may have in the past, I never could get into them. They just felt painful to me to play. A lot of work and very little fun.

Since I never PVP, Are they worth rolling for PVE now?

in Mesmer

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Speaking for dungeons mainly:
I personally don’t enjoy mesmer, but it’s a really strong, and fun class. I just don’t like doing no damage in pve/ being reliant on AI. The tormet buff has absolutely nothing to do with the pve mesmers. They don’t use scepter, don’t use torment, and don’t rely on conditions.

Mesmer is a strong group class. It has all the utilities in the world, and having a mesmer/guardian in the group makes everything easier. The problem with mesmer is there’s a lot of strats to learn, and a lot of things to do to be efficient ( portal spots, lots of useful utilities and buids to switch to) They are worth rolling if you have a semi competent team, otherwise you can’t really carry pugs because you have little offensive support.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I guess its the torment buff they got.

Not even close, I hope.

Mesmer is support/utility class with CC. If you don’t like the playstyle don’t use it imo (I wouldn’t play a class I can’t enjoy).
They always were worth it for the utility and support, people just are too stupid to see beyond big numbers.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mystic Angelique.4021

Mystic Angelique.4021

Not even close, I hope.

Mesmer is support/utility class with CC. If you don’t like the playstyle don’t use it imo (I wouldn’t play a class I can’t enjoy).
They always were worth it for the utility and support, people just are too stupid to see beyond big numbers.

Like you said Mesmer is support/utility class. lol
Without the big numbers are they situation in certain dungeons. Thou they fair better somewhat.

in Mesmer

SHM.7628

Not even close, I hope.

You make some good points. I primarily play alone (or in a zerg) so i would see little benefit from the utility. I like CCing. However, if you aren’t popping big damage numbers or extremely tanky, I can see it getting old fast.

Thanks for the input.

in Mesmer

SHM.7628

Speaking for dungeons mainly:
I personally don’t enjoy mesmer, but it’s a really strong, and fun class. I just don’t like doing no damage in pve/ being reliant on AI. The tormet buff has absolutely nothing to do with the pve mesmers. They don’t use scepter, don’t use torment, and don’t rely on conditions.

Mesmer is a strong group class. It has all the utilities in the world, and having a mesmer/guardian in the group makes everything easier. The problem with mesmer is there’s a lot of strats to learn, and a lot of things to do to be efficient ( portal spots, lots of useful utilities and buids to switch to) They are worth rolling if you have a semi competent team, otherwise you can’t really carry pugs because you have little offensive support.

Thanks Oxtred. You really answered my question for me. I don’t especially like dungeons. I mostly run open world PVE alone. Seeing what I’ve read so far, I don’t think its worth it to me to roll one.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blades of Sabatine.5639

Blades of Sabatine.5639

If you talking about solo, you can play what spec you likes a mez, unless you just esnt to bust stuff down. As for me i change build and experiment with different builds. in dungeon runs, since I play with guildies I play what want.

The class is fun, can be complex but fun.

Right now am playing a build I call bleed b…c. Staking 15 bleed in 5sec. Trying to see if possible to stack 20 within that time.

in Mesmer

oxtred.7658

Well, it can work in open world pve, but yep, you won’t do big damage, you won’t have aoes for tagging, you won’t have permanent swiftness.. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people I know really love their mesmer and even with these obvious disadvantages they enjoy playing it more than say, a thief or an ele. If you like cc, eles have good area controls+ everything the mesmer lacks in open world pve ( swiftness/movment skills, damage, offensive support and self buffing, cleaving/aoes).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t have a Guardian (well, I do, but he’s basically a mule), so my Mesmer scratches my support itch when I do dungeons. She also excels in single target fighting (I enjoy trying to solo Champions with her), but she has a much tougher time against lots of enemies, or ones that spam lots of massive area attacks that kill illusions quickly. (I’m looking at you, recent LS bosses!)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

Well, it can work in open world pve, but yep, you won’t do big damage, you won’t have aoes for tagging, you won’t have permanent swiftness.. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people I know really love their mesmer and even with these obvious disadvantages they enjoy playing it more than say, a thief or an ele. If you like cc, eles have good area controls+ everything the mesmer lacks in open world pve ( swiftness/movement skills, damage, offensive support and self buffing, cleaving/aoes).

I have returned to GW after almost 2 years less then a week ago, but my 80 mesmer have to disagree with most of the stuff you wrote:

- I had the same problem with lack of speed buffs for mesmer, because I like openPvP most – but friendly people here on the forum showed me the way: perma swiftness is quite easy to obtain for Mesmer – Centaur runes + Mirror is 13sec uptime swiftness with 15sec recast… if you have few points in Chaos you can easily get 15 sec uptime. Add IV from Inspiration and every 15 sec you have heal+15sec swiftness+2 sec reflect +2conditions self removal…

- with GS 3 you have nice aoe for tagging, Staff 1 with extra bounce trait can tag also nicely

- I am quite happy with dps – using mainly GS with mostly Berserker exotic equip – nothing to brag about – but works quite nicely – and works from range, while you have utilities to stay at range

…. tbh every time I tried another class I have returned to Mesmer:
- War 80 – too straightforward “jump them and bash them” to my taste
- Necro 40somethin – hate Staff skills (only really ranged weapon), hate Death Shroud mechanic
- Guard 35+ probably only other class I somehow liked, but do not want to level now new char and enjoying Mesmer too much… also it has no ranged weapon (scepter is really bad IMHO) and I prefer to have good ranged weapon
- Thief, Engineer tried, deleted… one of them acts as mule
- never tried Ranger nor Ele ….

PS: caster with GS!!!!

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Well, it can work in open world pve, but yep, you won’t do big damage, you won’t have aoes for tagging, you won’t have permanent swiftness.. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people I know really love their mesmer and even with these obvious disadvantages they enjoy playing it more than say, a thief or an ele. If you like cc, eles have good area controls+ everything the mesmer lacks in open world pve ( swiftness/movement skills, damage, offensive support and self buffing, cleaving/aoes).

I have returned to GW after almost 2 years less then a week ago, but my 80 mesmer have to disagree with most of the stuff you wrote:

- I had the same problem with lack of speed buffs for mesmer, because I like openPvP most – but friendly people here on the forum showed me the way: perma swiftness is quite easy to obtain for Mesmer – Centaur runes + Mirror is 13sec uptime swiftness with 15sec recast… if you have few points in Chaos you can easily get 15 sec uptime. Add IV from Inspiration and every 15 sec you have heal+15sec swiftness+2 sec reflect +2conditions self removal…

- with GS 3 you have nice aoe for tagging, Staff 1 with extra bounce trait can tag also nicely

- I am quite happy with dps – using mainly GS with mostly Berserker exotic equip – nothing to brag about – but works quite nicely – and works from range, while you have utilities to stay at range

- Necro 40somethin – hate Staff skills (only really ranged weapon), hate Death Shroud mechanic
- Guard 35+ probably only other class I somehow liked, but do not want to level now new char and enjoying Mesmer too much… also it has no ranged weapon (scepter is really bad IMHO) and I prefer to have good ranged weapon

You do know that with the healing mantra and runes of the centaur you can get permanent swiftness without wasting any traits for boon duration right?

in Mesmer

Posted by: saxmachine.6024

saxmachine.6024

And instead of the healing mantra you can buy an endless tonic. The leave transform button is on your heal slot so you can still run and keep your preferred heal ready. It’s fun to run as a quaggan.

As to original question, I think mesmer is awesome. I enjoy it because it’s not rotation based gameplay like an engi or ele, but it’s also not just there to bash heads.

in Mesmer

SHM.7628

Well, it can work in open world pve, but yep, you won’t do big damage, you won’t have aoes for tagging, you won’t have permanent swiftness.. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people I know really love their mesmer and even with these obvious disadvantages they enjoy playing it more than say, a thief or an ele. If you like cc, eles have good area controls+ everything the mesmer lacks in open world pve ( swiftness/movment skills, damage, offensive support and self buffing, cleaving/aoes).

I am at present leveling a Thief. A lot of the frustration you discribed about mesmer, I am feeling with thief. Great single target damage, but in this game AOE is king. This gets better with level, I know. No speed buff is kinda painful too.

Yeah, I like Ele too. My faves so far are Ranger, Guardian, and necro. (in that order)

in Mesmer

SHM.7628

Thanks for the info. I do disagree with you on Gardian about ranged weapons. Staff is more of a half ranged weapon but it is great in a zerg. My guard is tanky as heck and heals well and removes conditions. When its time to get in close GS rocks

in Mesmer

oxtred.7658

I am at present leveling a Thief. A lot of the frustration you discribed about mesmer, I am feeling with thief. Great single target damage, but in this game AOE is king. This gets better with level, I know. No speed buff is kinda painful too.

Yeah, I like Ele too. My faves so far are Ranger, Guardian, and necro. (in that order)

Thieves have far better cleave ( sword and dagger aa actually do damage), aoe for tagging ( sb2 and 4), speed and a lot of teleports (sig. of shadow, TotC, shadowstep, steal, inf.sig, sb5/sword 2 spam). They don’t have half their dps on AI as well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I have 8 80 toons and I play my Mesmer 95% of the time. Sure we don’t excel at high dps, but we are fun to play. I solo the Silverwastes Gold bosses every so often when there is no one around (which is rare) and it takes forever, but you can solo them. Even the legendaries are solo-able, if you don’t get adds on you – it is a grueling long fight (I hate those veggie dog packs). I run 4/4/0/0/6 in silver wastes with GS, and Sc/F. Sometimes I run with my slow tormented rune gear other times with my rampager gear with traveler runes (either gear works for me).