How does the staff fit into a power build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dokyo.3685

Dokyo.3685

I’m currently running a power shatter build (0/20/0/20/30) with a mix of knight and Valkyrie armor, and mostly zerker jewelry. Although I’m going to buy the solider ascended neck when I get home today.

My current weapons are Scepter-Pistol / Sword-Focus. I switch these up sometimes using a sword OH in there as well. I’m thinking about switching in Staff instead of the Scepter although I’m loath to give up a second offhand. I’m tempted to run a Sword-Sword or Sword-Pistol with a staff for the phantasms, but I think the curtain is just too good so I’d probably end up Staff / Sword-Focus.

I kind of want the staff for the mobility and survival, but does it fit in well with a power build? Do the auto attacks actually do decent damage, and the warlock. I’ve only ever used the staff in a condition build and I didn’t like it. I think it was more the build than the weapon I didn’t like though. Only other issue is I have bloodlust on one of my sword and corruption on my staff, but I can always pick up another staff.

I like my Scepter ok, but the 2,4,5 skills on the staff are just so tempting.

Ketseras
Crystal Desert – Tonic [Lime]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leuddian.3057

Leuddian.3057

You would be using the staff for support in a power build, and for survival. You can see osicat’s shattercat build for lots of good Staff/Sword-x burst build gameplays. The staff is mostly used for dropping a chaos storm to debuff the enemy and buff you while you switch to sword and do your 3-3-2-f1 combo.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-WvWvW-Pve-Shatter-Cat/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Winds of Chaos scales pretty well in damage when your character uses it. It helps for phantasms too. For the clones, it makes little to no difference. If you are going to go this way, I would suggest rampager equipment. It almost feels tailor-made for mesmers that go Staff/Sword-focus.

I actually found something strange with this setup and I’m not sure if it’s a fluke or the product of my play style. I find that, when downscaled, I can kill enemies faster with the staff than the sword-focus. The difference is about 2 seconds at most but it did give me reason to pause. I’ll have to test it out on higher level enemies to see if that’s true all around.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Yup, staff is mostly for utility (offensive and support) and survival in a power build. It can also do amazing damage to bosses. If you can keep them alive, 3 warlocks will out-DPS anything else in the game, especially in a pack of other players doling out conditions you don’t have access to.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Run around with your staff out, if you get attacked, chaos armour yourself, put the storm down ontop of yourself, then teleport out of it as it wears off. Then you can decide to fight or not bother.

If a fight is going badly, this can give you some breathing time.

Can help allies that are abit weaker out by giving them buffs, (thieves)