How to build for WvW?

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moz.8264

Moz.8264

From personal experience it seems the best way to be effective in WvW is build like a glass cannon. I’ve tried a glamour/confusion build and it only worked decently defending against zergs which is only about 10-20% of my whole time spent in a WvW; for me at least. If you even attempt to skirmish small groups or 1v1 with a glamour build you’ll more than likely end up losing if their built like a glass cannon.

So, is this why Rune of Divinity are the most expensive and sought after runes because WvW = Glass cannon?

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: kylia.4813

kylia.4813

http://www.youtube.com/kyliad

Glam build in action 1v1 2v1 3v1 4v1 and more. Def not a glass cannon

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelesti.2458

Kelesti.2458

Full Knight’s gear, Emerald jewelry, Earth runes. Sword/Sword→Staff, going 0/20/20/20/10 (or some variation thereof).

Keep the pain and pressure going in 1v1 or 1v2 scenarios, if you’re part of your zerg swap in Time Warp (or Mass Invis for giggles), if you’re skirmishing Moa shines. The point of all that toughness is: You have Condition Removal, and quite a fair bit of it. You have a decently sized base health pool, so the things that are going to hurt you are direct damage, and Toughness just soaks that up.

Swap to Staff when you need to play defensively. Chaos Storm→ Phase Retreat for your first Chaos Armor, creates added pressure of the Storm for more damage, more debuffs, and they don’t want to stand in it. Find more Combo fields to keep it up. Decent build, some good reflexes, and kitten good kiting, and even the zerg will have a pain in the kitten killing you.

But the Knight’s build (Power/Precision/Toughness) still gives you that offensive presence (especially with sword/X) rather than putting too too much into defensive stats.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pip Squeak.3418

Pip Squeak.3418

Kylia could you share your traits/gear setup? Your playstyle is a lot like mine and I wouldnt mind looking at another spec to get ideas for mine.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zilm.8459

Zilm.8459

I’m interested too Kylia. I’m very close to this build but believe I’m still overly specced in Domination. Was trying to throw in Bezerker and do like Confusing Enchantments from that line.

Great build Kylia, some very heavy confusion damage!

Zed Trufar, Mesmer
Zaine Trufar, Thief
Yak’s Bend, Knights and Heroes Guild [Beer]

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m currently running 0/0/20/30/20 with a full set of carrion armor/jewelry/weps. For runes I use undead (condition dmg + toughness). Weps are staff and scepter/focus.

However I’m thinking of changing the build to 20/0/20/10/20 and running with GS + Staff. I lose some vit and my speed buff (focus). Instead of Undead runes I’m thinking Traveler or Speed.

Any thoughts on either build?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Koega.8653

Koega.8653

I run a 20/20/0/0/30. For the domination 20 though, I chose Confusing Enchantments over the Greatsword Training. I found this to be more useful in WvW.

I still use a greatsword for long ranged direct damage and short range burst/clone generation/berserker cripple. I’m no glass cannon, but I still do a lot of damage (works nice in PvE as well).

I’ve tried GS + Staff and GS + Scepter/Focus in WvW. It depends what you like. For me, I like Scepter/Focus better. Warden is amazing against zergs in WvW (even without phantasmal haste, which I’ve never used).

Staff is very useful too though, as it has great defense and is very balanced. So it really just depends on which style of play you like better.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

20/20/0/25/5 (GS + sword/focus). Glass cannon build, but I mix it with mirrored feedback and sometimes null field. It’s not a 1v1 build, but you can make it work if you play well since almost everyone keeps a ranged set and they like to use it even though curtain and feedback give me 11s of reflect. I use rare rubies instead of sigils, more crit damage that way. I used to run 30 30 0 0 10 mantra build that did fairly well, but the mobility was an issue since that spec used sword or pistol oh.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

0/20/10/20/20 (Greatsword + Sword/Focus)

Focus + rezz reflects bring so much to the table in WvW, it’s ridiculous.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: brogarn.8723

brogarn.8723

I use a Glamour Build. I’m not 80 yet (50 actually) but this has been great for everything I’ve wanted to do so far. I swap Focus and Torch depending on what’s going on.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: brogarn.8723

brogarn.8723

By the way, I could use some gear help for that if anyone’s up to it.

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moz.8264

Moz.8264

I use a Glamour Build. I’m not 80 yet (50 actually) but this has been great for everything I’ve wanted to do so far. I swap Focus and Torch depending on what’s going on.

Yes, this is the exact glamour build I’m talking about. But why use any other build over a glass cannon in WvW?

Edit: Also why did you get Halting Strike? Doesn’t seem worth it.

(edited by Moz.8264)

How to build for WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoner.1765

Zoner.1765

I’ve tried most of the basic armor/jewelry setups (berserker, rampager, carrion, cleric, knight) that make sense. I keep coming back to full knight for the armor and jewelry, and invader weapons. I am currently running what I think is a somewhat odd wvw build:

10/20/10/20/10

Sword/Focus
Scepter/Pistol

Traits are:
Crippling Dissipation
Far Reaching Manipulations
Deceptive Evasion
Illusionary Defense
Mender’s Purity
Restorative Mantras (sometimes Warden’s Feedback)
Compounding Power

Skills are:
Mantra of Recovery
Mantra of Resolve
Blink
Decoy
TimeWarp (or MassInvis of course)

and Centaur Runes in the armor is nearly essential (and will push you to the mantra instead of ether feast)