I figured out why it's called Mirage

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

It’s called Mirage because from a distance the spec looks amazing like water in a desert, but when you look at it up close the mechanics and balance disappears and you are left with nothing but sand and disappointment.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I thought it was because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away… wait

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

you turn 360 degrees and walk away

:thinking:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

TRUTH
it’s a kitten wrapped in depression
(……………….why is “terd” bleeped???)

i get what they were trying to do, it sounds beautiful, sure
but the original mesmer is already the “mirage”….

illusions should have been replaced, and the profession mechanic reworked, so we aren’t tethered to small scale fights or dead illusions, e-specs were SUPPOSED to add something new, mesmer being bound to a target is so obnoxious to deal with, they’re already the “duelist” class, why did we get more of a “duelist” e-spec

even the necromancer is getting rid of their class-defining mechanic for insane AoE
why can’t mesmer….
the elementalist already got like 50+ skills, what’s a bit more trait reworking for mesmer

oh, right
too much effort for the april fools joke class: the minstrel

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

e-specs were SUPPOSED to add something new, mesmer being bound to a target is so obnoxious to deal with

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Axes_of_Symmetry
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Illusionary_Ambush

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

e-specs were SUPPOSED to add something new, mesmer being bound to a target is so obnoxious to deal with

I mean, yeah, the only good thing to come out of the elite spec are 2 abilities.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Those aren’t any good either, because the only point of switching targets would be if your current target is dead, and guess what, your illusions still die on target death, so…

Five years of this. Five years, two elite specs, ZERO attention to the core contradictions of Mesmer design.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Frankly if they just dared to make Mirrors useful (12s duration if on the ground, all Deception skills create mirrors, shattering phantasms creates mirrors), then the spec could have a unique design element.

With sometimes having 5-10 mirrors up in an area, Mirage would be a spec which can survive very well in a confined space but suffers from having to move or being barraged by AE (well to be fair, that’s shared with all Mesmer specs).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Xenon.4537

The usefulness of this is going to be highly situational. For mobs that die quickly you are going to be on cooldown half the time you need to switch your illusions, and mobs that die slowly (like a boss) you probably don’t want to switch your illusions because its better to keep them dpsing the boss. I think people are really overselling mirage because they read a skill description and think it sounds great. Things are a lot different when you actually get into combat and deal with the full breadth of game mechanics.

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

I mean, yeah, the only good thing to come out of the elite spec are 2 abilities.

^^^^^ literally this

did this dude really just reply to me linking TWO abilities from the entire e-spec that will retarget ONLY 3 ILLUSIONS AT MAX?

trying to imply mesmer will be allowed to do different things with this?
implying, if they actually where useful, that it would fix literally everything else wrong with the spec and core mesmer?

i can’t tell, because he literally had nothing else to offer in his comment

honey, the amount of shattering you do, and the fact that it’s so pitifully worthless in pvp, means that it won’t matter that they exist if we have to be forced into taking a trash-tier weapon that has no invuln-frames, and literally useless condis for power-based builds, and absolutely no utility other than “hurr hurr here’s my clones and maybe my phantasms if they aren’t dead…. maybe”

sword literally has both cripple AND immob? with a blink? with i-frames? AND BOON STRIP????? even the Ambush ability now means sword has a floopin DAZE, you know, an interrupt? on a leap ability?

sword is too bloated for something as sad as axe to take over its spot as a primary weapon, and most likely even secondary to have access to another offhand in pve, and you’re going to want staff or greatsword for swap in pvp, period, both range, and burst or sustain depending on build
even scepter 3 has more burst damage than axe does…. at least i’m pretty sure, i know i’ve hit 10k+ on Confusing Images, not sure i ever saw those kinds of numbers testing out axe

the other option is just a utility that has a THIRTY SECOND COOLDOWN? just to switch, what, phantasms?

in PvE, you aren’t taking an axe, you’re still using sword, i’m mostly talking about pvp, but if you honestly think i meant pve, then, just, it’s still bad….. like….. no……..
30s cooldown to swap your phantasms to the new target that dies instantly anyway, and/or take the axe that offers you literally nothing else, just, no

if you mean condi builds…. you pump out clones so fast the re-target means absolutely nothing for clones, if you expected to, what, have out 3 Torch Phantasms? i mean, good luck with that in any format of this game ahahahahaha

Those aren’t any good either, because the only point of switching targets would be if your current target is dead, and guess what, your illusions still die on target death, so…

Five years of this. Five years, two elite specs, ZERO attention to the core contradictions of Mesmer design.

also this, exactly, yes
we need a mechanic to completely get rid of being tethered to clones, we need to do our own damage some how for formats of the game where they fail to be of any use
this is going to be horrifying having to wait for yet ANOTHER expansion for even the slightest glimpse of hope that we can finally get rid of this dreadful mechanic

everyone else gets to sit there looking through the “leaked” images that’ll probably arise, thinking “hurray i can’t wait to see what new toys i get to play with, whether or not i keep my old mechanic or get a new one, it’ll still be amazing i bet!”

and we sit here
flailing around
hoping just to be able to do something without having to rely on clones/phantasms that blow up if someone drops one small AoE field

you know, like how this expansion gave EVERY OTHER CLASS a new mechanic………………………………………………………………….
and Mirage gets MORE shatter builds……………….

(edited by Alpha.1308)

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

you know, like how this expansion gave EVERY OTHER CLASS a new mechanic………………………………………………………………….

The sad thing is that Mirage doesn’t offer much in terms of shatters as of the demo weekend.

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

seriously
some pitiful confusion stacks from Riddle of Sand
(which is Illusionary Retribution but worse)
and a clone generation from Self-Deception
ggggggg

in Mesmer

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The usefulness of this is going to be highly situational. For mobs that die quickly you are going to be on cooldown half the time you need to switch your illusions, and mobs that die slowly (like a boss) you probably don’t want to switch your illusions because its better to keep them dpsing the boss. I think people are really overselling mirage because they read a skill description and think it sounds great. Things are a lot different when you actually get into combat and deal with the full breadth of game mechanics.

Mobs that die quickly you can focus 4 and cleave with phantasms as well u dont needretargeting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

I thought it was because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away… wait

It’s called the Xbox 360 because…

Heheh. You made me chuckle.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

^^^^^ literally this

did this dude really just reply to me linking TWO abilities from the entire e-spec that will retarget ONLY 3 ILLUSIONS AT MAX?

Mesmers only have 3 illusion to be able to re-target…?

trying to imply mesmer will be allowed to do different things with this?

You can use the abilities to re-target your illusions, such as on the mini/sub bosses at Vale Guardian when he splits, and Gorseval when he summons the charged souls etc.

These are all new things.

implying, if they actually where useful, that it would fix literally everything else wrong with the spec and core mesmer?

I never said mirage or core mesmer was free of problems, I simply corrected some of your misinformation on Mirage’s mechanics.

honey, the amount of shattering you do, and the fact that it’s so pitifully worthless in pvp

Do you mean shattering is worthless in PvP, or that the effect of re-targeting your illusions is worthless in PvP?

in PvE, you aren’t taking an axe, you’re still using sword, i’m mostly talking about pvp, but if you honestly think i meant pve, then, just, it’s still bad….. like….. no……..

If you are going to run Mirage in PvE, I can’t imagine you would run a sword over axe. Mirage doesn’t bring anything to the table for direct DPS mesmers, so either Mirage won’t be taken at all, or you’ll run a condition damage version of mirage.

Once we get access to the new elite specs in the Special Forces Training Area we can better judge the DPS of Mirage, and hence the developers will be able to better tweak the duration and intensity of the conditions.

if you mean condi builds…. you pump out clones so fast the re-target means absolutely nothing for clones

Good point, this means condi Mirage in PvE will have another way to swap targets quickly!

It seems your problem isn’t with lack of new mechanics, but rather the mechanics we did end up getting with Mirage. Mirage gets a new dodge/ambush skills and can re-target illusions.

The problem isn’t with the design, but rather with the specific values and balancing of the skills.

The only case where re-targeting is desired but can’t be achieved is with power based phantasm builds, because axe won’t be run and the CD on the utility skill is too long. However, Mirage isn’t really meant to be a power based build. With some tweaking on Ambush skills and a reduced CD on the utility skill, it could become semi viable.

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

(edited by TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275)

in Mesmer

Xenon.4537

I’ve just never encountered a situation where it would be wildly beneficial to switch targets before the target is dead. You usually attack things until they are dead.

So you are going to switch targets and stop dpsing the boss… to go kill some adds…..

The adds will die quickly, possibly before your axe 3 is finished cooling down….

Then your illusions die and you have to resummon them back to the boss……

….

So it would have been better to just leave your illusions dpsing the boss while you go take care of adds by yourself.

I mean I grant that it could be useful sometimes but like I said these things are highly situational. We are talking about 1 or 2 raid bosses. There’s tons of other content in the game. So we have an ability that is super situational that might shine during about 1% of the game…. Forgive me if I’m not jumping for joy lol…

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

i’ll start off by saying i apologize in advance for lengthy post, and that i don’t mean to sound rude for the most part, as most of it, i admit, was my poor way of explaining things

Mesmers only have 3 illusion to be able to re-target…?

i meant a 30 second cooldown to move 3 illusions is bad
it’s not like Axe 3 gets multiple charges, which that might at least help with bouncing between fast-dying targets, which would mean it “moves 6 illusions” for pve purposes, pvp would get roflstomped

You can use the abilities to re-target your illusions, such as on the mini/sub bosses at Vale Guardian when he splits, and Gorseval when he summons the charged souls etc.

These are all new things.

as above stated, hurray, a few situational fights where maybe it’ll improve some form of dps

I never said mirage or core mesmer was free of problems

fair enough

I simply corrected some of your misinformation on Mirage’s mechanics.

lost me here, by linking 1 good skill (axe) and a bad skill (utility)?
that’s not really my misinformation, so much as it’s your misunderstanding, or my lack of explaining, which, i apologize

by “bound to a target” i mean, illusions are holding us back in the AoE department, not to mention target swapping, we rely on cooldowns to switch our damage to another target, instead of being able to launch other meaningful cooldowns at something else at whim, our entire profession mechanic is reliant on destructibles focused on one enemy

we have shatters and Illusionary Berserker, sure, but these aren’t anywhere near the AoE potential of other classes, their functionality to be destroyed before even doing anything severely hinders their potential, not to mention with the variability in any given match, if i drop Grenades, Lava Font, Wells, anything, at a downed target, i know my damage will be there, it’s a reliable way of AoEing, sticking on that target and pressuring anything that tries to rally it
but….. if i shatter, or throw an Illusionary Berserker at them, will my illusions get there before mobs/players move from my target so i actually hit more than 1 target? will they get cleaved and not do any damage at all? will there be a knock back/area denial ability preventing them from reaching their destination?
it’s a mechanic based on a creature, and it’s clunky in a lot of scenarios

i don’t hate it, god no, i’ve loved illusions since the beginning, but my argument was that this e-spec adding nothing “new” for the class

Do you mean shattering is worthless in PvP, or that the effect of re-targeting your illusions is worthless in PvP?

shattering is fine in pvp, obviously, the re-targeting is where it gets iffy, re-targetting illusions into cleave just to die still leaves a borked mechanic borked
if you somehow kept those illusions alive, re-target them, and burst someone else down while they think you’re on another target….. congratulations, your cooldowns where apparently already up to have set up a burst on the first target and… what has that really added to the class?
if you have 3 phantasms up, shame on the enemy, they were dead anyway, if not, you’d still have want to summon another sword/zerker for their initial damage to add in your window of opportunity, clones are nearly useless to re-target in this situation, why would we not just run Deceptive Evasion? heck, even Mirror Images does a better job than that gross thing we got at that point

If you are going to run Mirage in PvE, I can’t imagine you would run a sword over axe. Mirage doesn’t bring anything to the table for direct DPS mesmers, so either Mirage won’t be taken at all, or you’ll run a condition damage version of mirage.

Once we get access to the new elite specs in the Special Forces Training Area we can better judge the DPS of Mirage, and hence the developers will be able to better tweak the duration and intensity of the conditions.

this is the problem, yes, thanks, it (possibly) won’t be taken because it offers nothing (known)

BUT, once again, fair point, i agree, we don’t know how exactly it’ll work in PvE, if anything it will be tuned before release, just, my experience with trying to use axe with power has left a -salty- (cries) taste in my mouth, and this is where this discussion comes from

(edited by Alpha.1308)

in Mesmer

Alpha.1308

(6000 character limit omg i’m so sorry for the wall of text)

Good point, this means condi Mirage in PvE will have another way to swap targets quickly!

…. again, if you want 3 torch phantasms up on a target, be my guest, i just don’t see the appeal of using a 30s cooldown utility to move clones, or even axe 3, for that matter

It seems your problem isn’t with lack of new mechanics, but rather the mechanics we did end up getting with Mirage. Mirage gets a new dodge/ambush skills and can re-target illusions.

……… ok, thank you for repeating what i and many others have been saying, nobody is complaining that the new dodge isn’t good, because it actually really is good, yes, i agree

but it just “adds on” to the theme the mesmer already had going for it, which is a slippery duelist, it didn’t “change” how a mesmer will affect a fight, which is the initial argument that the e-spec “adds nothing new”

the “re-targeting” seems good on paper, until it’s put into a real situation, where it just seems like it’s not worth giving up what you already have to use it
(for what it seems, i’ll admit, i’m getting a more biased opinion from what i saw from my like only 2 spvp matches and more time spent in small scale wvw roaming and some ktraining)

The problem isn’t with the design, but rather with the specific values and balancing of the skills.

The only case where re-targeting is desired but can’t be achieved is with power based phantasm builds, because axe won’t be run and the CD on the utility skill is too long. However, Mirage isn’t really meant to be a power based build. With some tweaking on Ambush skills and a reduced CD on the utility skill, it could become semi viable.

i actually immediately saw a delicious power-based build to be running, simply being able to use that flashy new dodge mechanic alone, and just Jaunt… existing, and that sword ambush with an AMAZING leap and daze, but, that’s a pvp bias i guess
even still, it still looked disappointing, as i knew it wasn’t going to be changing how i played, it was just 3 new escape/engage tools, that’s like getting 3 different skills for the entire e-spec, like…. that’s really upsetting

i just don’t see number tweaks being very flavor inducing, but i can only hope you’re right, because, as many have pointed out, it’s clearly too late for them to be doing any real mechanical changes
the Greatsword Ambush definitely needs to be looked at, hopefully they’ll fix clone Sword Ambush proccing interrupt traits, but all in all, it still doesn’t feel like anything but a mesmer, where every other class feels much different from the core class

thief gets 1,200 range

ele gets….. dance dance revolution

engineer gets a whole new melee kit and incredibly strong utility skills and traits that actually have decisions (that laser disk utility alone is probably stronger than a mind wrack x3…) but let’s not compare classes because, comparing classes is bad in a skill-to-skill sense, i understand that

warrior gets to be a mesmer from GW1 (??)

necro gets the support build that they’ve lacked, while still having heavy damage (all F skills mashed together each crit for like 2k i don’t even care what people say that’s op asf and will probably get an ICD you absolutely dominate downed control with those shades)

guardian gets 3 entire new skill bars for offense/defense

ranger gets rid of their entire pet mechanic for stats and access to 6 skills (at once) to play around with

rev gets…. an elite skill that looks like it could be its own class by itself…….

mesmer gets……………… a dodge roll to supplement their already powerful ability to avoid damage, lackluster traits, utilities that look as uneventful as Well of Precognition, and a powerful elite that is still probably outshined in pvp with Moa, PvE with Time Warp, and only usable in WvW, which is already anet’s joke of a game mode (that happens to be my favorite)

i’m not saying what mirage got was bad (even though the majority of it is), i even specifically stated earlier that it just feels like a core class line, because it does, it feels like mechanics we should have had at the start, re-targeting is something we should have had access to day 1 with a mechanic that relies on creatures on cooldowns

i dunno, i apologize, i ranted a lot there and probably sounded ruder than intended (lot of salt), but i hope that gets my point across more that it’s more about a “different style of play” and not just “new skills” that every class gets anyway

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

It’s called Mirage because from a distance the spec looks amazing like water in a desert, but when you look at it up close the mechanics and balance disappears and you are left with nothing but sand and disappointment.

Very well said.

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

I’ve just never encountered a situation where it would be wildly beneficial to switch targets before the target is dead. You usually attack things until they are dead.

So you are going to switch targets and stop dpsing the boss… to go kill some adds…..

The adds will die quickly, possibly before your axe 3 is finished cooling down….

Then your illusions die and you have to resummon them back to the boss……

….

So it would have been better to just leave your illusions dpsing the boss while you go take care of adds by yourself.

I mean I grant that it could be useful sometimes but like I said these things are highly situational. We are talking about 1 or 2 raid bosses. There’s tons of other content in the game. So we have an ability that is super situational that might shine during about 1% of the game…. Forgive me if I’m not jumping for joy lol…

Boss 1 and 2 in nightmare fractal. Boss 2 and 3 in shattered observatory. Samarog the phase adds and deimos the prides. Boss 1 in fractal chaos etc.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Cd is too long and you can’t retarget them onto Sam without suiciding.

Boss 2 and 3 for S/O won’t work because the bosses disappear and reappear so you’d still have to resummon. Deimos prides aren’t killed unless they’re close, so that’s a pretty irrelevant point (they should be immob “stunned”). Chaos Fractals boss the retarget won’t be up after mobs are dead, so you’d have to retarget them onto the Anomaly, lowering your encounter dps.

(edited by Esplen.3940)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nomalu.7152

Nomalu.7152

the “re-targeting” seems good on paper, until it’s put into a real situation, where it just seems like it’s not worth giving up what you already have to use it
(for what it seems, i’ll admit, i’m getting a more biased opinion from what i saw from my like only 2 spvp matches and more time spent in small scale wvw roaming and some ktraining)

Honestly, the more I think about retarget the more it seems like a band aid solution… And not good a really good one, as it has quite a long cd, and you need to be able to retarge on demand. Otherwise it look like another thing you have to “save for the best opportunity”. I’m almost sure I’ll end up hesitating to use axe 3/using it less, than I could be.

Is there any valid reason, why our illusions have to be binded to the target?

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Honestly, Axe is an awkward weapon. Axe auto attacks are kinda weak (although the final auto is much better than the final Scepter auto). You can’t really use Axe2 without breaking Phantasms, and it’s a burst ability (woo). Axe3 takes longer than the 0.75s to come out because it also has a leap after the cast/teleport, and you can potentially get put into damage or other things. Lastly, if you get caught on terrain/face the wrong way, or something else happens to prevent the leap, you wasted a huge amount of time and didn’t get the 5 Confusion (which means you’re better off auto attacking). So you’ll want to spam an attack that may misfire on you because the stronger attack (Axe2) hurts your dps.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

Cd is too long and you can’t retarget them onto Sam without suiciding.

Boss 2 and 3 for S/O won’t work because the bosses disappear and reappear so you’d still have to resummon. Deimos prides aren’t killed unless they’re close, so that’s a pretty irrelevant point (they should be immob “stunned”). Chaos Fractals boss the retarget won’t be up after mobs are dead, so you’d have to retarget them onto the Anomaly, lowering your encounter dps.

Last 2 phases the mobs are tanky enough where you will most likely have it off cd. SO u can creates clone on the adds that spawn and before they die retarget onto to the main boss on boss’ 2 case. On boss 3 u have the phantasms off cd by the time anomalies apear so u can simpy retarget kill that one fast then resummon with little to no dps loss.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

Honestly, Axe is an awkward weapon. Axe auto attacks are kinda weak (although the final auto is much better than the final Scepter auto). You can’t really use Axe2 without breaking Phantasms, and it’s a burst ability (woo). Axe3 takes longer than the 0.75s to come out because it also has a leap after the cast/teleport, and you can potentially get put into damage or other things. Lastly, if you get caught on terrain/face the wrong way, or something else happens to prevent the leap, you wasted a huge amount of time and didn’t get the 5 Confusion (which means you’re better off auto attacking). So you’ll want to spam an attack that may misfire on you because the stronger attack (Axe2) hurts your dps.

I wouldnt bet money on axe 2 staying like that for long much like scepter was chatged insee this changing as well.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

You might want to add some context. You listed 4 instances where you have encounters and now you’re talking about phases and the last 2 bosses without referring to which instance.

I wouldnt bet money on axe 2 staying like that for long much like scepter was chatged insee this changing as well.

It took them 3.33 years to make that change.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

You might want to add some context. You listed 4 instances where you have encounters and now you’re talking about phases and the last 2 bosses without referring to which instance.

It took them 3.33 years to make that change.

Ye it did. It also took me 3 hours to prepare my first dish. Now it takes me like 10 mins to make the same dish. In dev’s case luckily theres ppl that can provide feedback about that.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Do you really believe GW2 balance is as easy as cooking a meal? Also, I think you aren’t going to cut down a recipe from 3 hours to 10 minutes, that’s usually called raw food.

(edited by Esplen.3940)

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

Do you really believe GW2 balance is as easy as cooking a meal? Also, I think you aren’t going to cut down a recipe from 3 hours to 10 minutes, that’s usually called raw food.

For one i wasnt preparing tourkey. As for the change its a rweak to a functionality to a skill which has already happened elsewhere for the exact same reason.

Much like with legendary armor total w8 time for first set was 2 years if they ever made a new one it would be around 1 maybe less.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

So you’re assuming that Mirage is going to be good because it’s a possibility that they can make changes?

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

So you’re assuming that Mirage is going to be good because it’s a possibility that they can make changes?

Pretty much. Bcause they havent sold me the box yet because of how weaker the gen 2 soec seem compaired to gen1. Which tbf its understandable.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Pretty much. Bcause they havent sold me the box yet because of how weaker the gen 2 soec seem compaired to gen1. Which tbf its understandable.

+1 in that case.

Always better to avoid the pre-order hype, and buy after release if reviews show that the software has what you actually wanted.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

+1 in that case.

Always better to avoid the pre-order hype, and buy after release if reviews show that the software has what you actually wanted.

I mean… that’s like being skeptical to buy a burger because you don’t know if they use Heinz Ketchup or Hunt’s. If you choose not to buy PoF because the elite spec of one of the professions isn’t what you want, that is.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Much like with legendary armor total w8 time for first set was 2 years if they ever made a new one it would be around 1 maybe less.

Actually they are not making another.

So by your comparison, they buffed scepter and won’t buff axe.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

for 1 i said “if”. Also, they also said that legendary weapons were suspended right after chuka (or before idr) and here we are 6 legendaries later.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

for 1 i said “if”. Also, they also said that legendary weapons were suspended right after chuka (or before idr) and here we are 6 legendaries later.

They said collections were suspended because they took too much time to make and if things broke it took a lot of manpower to fix. That’s why all the newer legendaries don’t have any collections attached to them. You just make weapons.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

They said collections were suspended because they took too much time to make and if things broke it took a lot of manpower to fix. That’s why all the newer legendaries don’t have any collections attached to them. You just make weapons.

Hi all,
In the upcoming Spring 2016 Quarterly Update, we’ll launch the new legendary short bow, Chuka and Champawat. The team outdid themselves on this one. This new precursor journey takes you through a memorable experience inspired by a real-world story, and the bow you craft at the end is the perfect commemoration of that journey. I hope you all check it out.
Last year we talked about plans to gradually build out a second set of legendary weapons through live content updates. That’s a big responsibility. We have a team of six developers working on that, who could work on it for years to come.
As game director I have to make tough trade-offs. One thing I believe is that we have to focus on the core game first before taking on additional responsibilities. I wrote in the Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto in 2010 that our vision was to create a living, dynamic world, where there’s always something to do. Let’s ensure we succeed on that front.
So, after shipping Chuka and Champawat, I’ve asked that we indefinitely suspend work on new legendary weapons. This team of developers will instead shift their efforts back to Living World style content, building new journeys and events for everyone to participate in.
I know this will be a controversial decision. I’ll hang out with you here on the forums for a little while today to discuss it. And I’m always available by email.
Mo

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

We have about 120 devs working on the live game, 70 devs on Expac2, and 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within these groups we have cross-discipline teams with focused missions. For example on Live we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others. The teams are charged with carrying a feature from inception and design through completion. When they finish, we typically package work from multiple teams into a single release, then we hand it off to release teams for final voice integration, localization, QA, and release management.

What I can say is that we are working towards completing the entire set of 16 HoT legendary weapons (sorry underwater). Of the 13 left, they are all in various stages of concept, modeling and design, but the two that are furthest along in development are the Short Bow and the Mace.

[src]

Also, note the awkward phrasing:

This team of developers will instead shift their efforts back to Living World style content, building new journeys and events for everyone to participate in.

Which does not mean that another team couldn’t have picked it right back up.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

We have about 120 devs working on the live game, 70 devs on Expac2, and 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within these groups we have cross-discipline teams with focused missions. For example on Live we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others. The teams are charged with carrying a feature from inception and design through completion. When they finish, we typically package work from multiple teams into a single release, then we hand it off to release teams for final voice integration, localization, QA, and release management.

What I can say is that we are working towards completing the entire set of 16 HoT legendary weapons (sorry underwater). Of the 13 left, they are all in various stages of concept, modeling and design, but the two that are furthest along in development are the Short Bow and the Mace.

[src]

Also, note the awkward phrasing:

This team of developers will instead shift their efforts back to Living World style content, building new journeys and events for everyone to participate in.

Which does not mean that another team couldn’t have picked it right back up.

I will take the ceo’s word over assumptions. Iirc the this quote is from an ama? which was before the acouncement that legendary weapon would be suspended.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

I mean… that’s like being skeptical to buy a burger because you don’t know if they use Heinz Ketchup or Hunt’s. If you choose not to buy PoF because the elite spec of one of the professions isn’t what you want, that is.

Independent of which, it’s still always better to not buy into pre-order culture, and instead just buy after release.

You don’t exactly order that burger 10 weeks in advance without even knowing you’ll want a burger on that day, either. If someone values their main’s elite spec enough to be unsure whether they can enjoy the expansion if it (expectably) turns out to be rubbish, then that’s a very valid reason to not throw money at a company for an unreleased product.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Independent of which, it’s still always better to not buy into pre-order culture, and instead just buy after release.

You don’t exactly order that burger 10 weeks in advance without even knowing you’ll want a burger on that day, either. If someone values their main’s elite spec enough to be unsure whether they can enjoy the expansion if it (expectably) turns out to be rubbish, then that’s a very valid reason to not throw money at a company for an unreleased product.

Again, you’re judging the entire product on one topping.

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

Theres not many toppings with this product so we can be abit more picky

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

And again, why pre-order? It’s a net benefit to not pre-order. If it turns out that PoF is released unplayable and to get it working they have to disable 4 elite specs entirely until after christmas, you didn’t waste money on it.

Is that likely? No ofc not.

But is there a benefit to throwing money on a developer on goodwill alone? Nope. Might as well hold off and see how the finished product stacks up against its cost.

in Mesmer

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

And again, why pre-order? It’s a net benefit to not pre-order. If it turns out that PoF is released unplayable and to get it working they have to disable 4 elite specs entirely until after christmas, you didn’t waste money on it.

But is there a benefit to throwing money on a developer on goodwill alone? Nope. Might as well hold off and see how the finished product stacks up against its cost.

well mirage is worst thing about pof so far , and most of my friends bought pof already even tho i fear pof map seems to be more grindy , but overall its ok to preorder .

in Mesmer

zealex.9410

well mirage is worst thing about pof so far , and most of my friends bought pof already even tho i fear pof map seems to be more grindy , but overall its ok to preorder .

Nah the worst thing about the expac is the content in the new maps or rather the lack of it.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

You are the reason we have on disk dlc, loot chests, microtransactions, games that are shorter and simpler then games from 20+ years ago, etc.

Not buying an expansion because your elite spec is kitten and the devs are lazy is perfectly fine. Not buying a game because you don’t like the font they used is fine. Its your money and its your free time spent playing the game. Don’t be a consumer kitten.