I hate veil + portal

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Just can’t stand it anymore. Recently I have been playing various builds in WVW larger scale on my mes. Boonshare, supp inspiration, alacrity / wells, reflects, CC focused, bunch of stuff. And it all performed so freagin awesome, just purely awesome.

Frontline was just as good as my DH, many cases better cause I can disengage being targeted via stealth or blink. Boons / supp is absolutely awesome as well and can keep up with frontline as can wells / alacrity builds. My AOE condi cleansing surpasses my guard and ele. Yes guard and Ele can cleanse more “bursty”, but the overall sustained cleanses go to mes, by far.

As a mid or backline it gets even better, alacrity / wells for diving in is just devastating to any opponents, any group caught in it migth as well bend over and kiss their kitten good bye.

Yet with all that, sooner or later, a moment comes, when you get called out for stupid veil and stupid portals. I just can’t stand these things on my utility bars anymore and seriously wish a-net woudl take them away from mes and give them to another class just so I can actually play my mes.

So here we go yet again back to quitting mes for anything other then occasional condi roaming, not because mes is is outdone in any area, but because of closed mindedness of people in charge of squads as well as the sheer existance of portal + veil.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

When I play mes, I run Outrage, Sig of Might, and Zerker stance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78YhAAcs6w

Because it makes me happy :)

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calliope.8675

Calliope.8675

Run what you like. You don’t neeeeed them on your bar all the time.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I don’t usually follow zergs, but when I do, I never use veil. I don’t have anything on my utilities bar that I deem worth swapping for it. I’ve been asked for a veil before, and the answer was and is no. Its that simple.

I also don’t portal golems.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

Well don’t use them than. I tend to not use them.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I actually really like portal for roaming, it’s just a shame you need stuns to lockdown evade spamming thieves so I tend to run mantra of distraction.

The amount of jukes you can do roaming is great and if you find yourself with a Zerg you can have evac portals or to get into a better position.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

If you are running with an organized group in WvW you basically run what the group leader says and keep your mouth shut.

You are there to win,as a team not selfish desires. When you solo roam you can run w/e you want.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

If you are running with an organized group in WvW you basically run what the group leader says and keep your mouth shut.

You are there to win,as a team not selfish desires. When you solo roam you can run w/e you want.

Ultimately this is more or less accurate unfortunately. It’s also why organized WvW groups generally regard people that want to play mesmer for them in the same rarity as unicorns.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Yet with all that, sooner or later, a moment comes, when you get called out for stupid veil and stupid portals

So… being called upon to provide crucial utility is somehow worse than for damage or interrupts?

I don’t get it. Ideally that’s how a raid team works together, having different people provide different elements.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Teamwork makes the dream work op you simply don’t want to make the dream work go ahead and use whatever you want but if I had the chance to help my party/teammates I would be all over that.

If anything sounds like you need to be roaming which generally gives more freedom as to what utility you use as you really don’t have to think about anyone but yourself as you’re doing now.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Azukas.1426

Ultimately this is more or less accurate unfortunately. It’s also why organized WvW groups generally regard people that want to play mesmer for them in the same rarity as unicorns.

Nope any good group has multiple mesmers ready to go. Not sure if you’ve never participated in good organized guild groups but that’s pretty standard

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Nope any good group has multiple mesmers ready to go. Not sure if you’ve never participated in good organized guild groups but that’s pretty standard

Sure, any good group has people able to play mesmer, but nobody actually wants to play it. That’s often why they’ll have multiple mesmers actually; so that they can cycle it out and not get stuck playing mesmer for too long.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Azukas.1426

Sure, any good group has people able to play mesmer, but nobody actually wants to play it. That’s often why they’ll have multiple mesmers actually; so that they can cycle it out and not get stuck playing mesmer for too long.

Nope never had a problem ppl playing mesmer.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I still don’t get the bad part of being called upon to provide crucial abilities to the raid.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Azukas.1426

I still don’t get the bad part of being called upon to provide crucial abilities to the raid.

My fellow mesmers believe they are the only class in game pigeonholed into running certain builds/abilities and no other class in the game deals with this…..

Sad really

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

In zerg fights, especially now, every class gets loaded with boons. Big ones like protection and stability make mesmer shatter dps literally useless. Mesmer shatter damage is honestly one of the worst bursts in game (IMO) due to the large sacrifice given to full berserker gear and literally no reward. Even our boon removal is useless, thus we’re preferred playing support roles like boonshare. I know it sucks, and I’m constantly reminded when I bring my mesmer to WvW. I switched main classes to thief for real burst damage because I refuse to play cheese traits. (This is a personal choice which I am NOT imposing on anyone and neither do I hold anything against those who wish to use them)

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Omnia Wind.2108

Omnia Wind.2108

Your best bet when running with a zerg is to talk to the other mesmers in the group, and coordinate who has what. That way the group has veil and portal and alacrity and stuff, and you can use what you want!

I run with smaller groups, so I end up changing my utility skills on the fly a lot. We need alacrity, veil, sometimes portal, sometimes feedback is SUPER important (especially when defending), if we’re havoc I need mass invis (unless we’re fighting, then I need gravity well), and I always have blink on. If there’s other mesmers in teamspeak I don’t need to switch so much, so that’s always nice.

~Omnia
Yak’s Bend FO LYFE [AI] [AGI]
minipets will be the death of me

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

When veil starts providing bags for its part in zerg wipes, then and only then will it be worth bringing mesmer and running that kitten on the bar.

Until then there’s is infinity more satisfaction in running a zerk staff ele and dropping nukes from orbit.

If you’re a mesmer main, and don’t know this, you’ve been maining mesmer far to hard.

Now as for ever, ignorance is the only true bliss a happy mesmer has :)

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Because nobody likes being the class whose only use are 75+ sec cd skills.

After you blow those two, you might as well not exist.

Mesmer does nothing of value besides veil/portal in large engagements due to their crappy AoE and how clones/phants die immediately since unlike PvE they have no aoe immunity.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Because nobody likes being the class whose only use are 75+ sec cd skills.

After you blow those two, you might as well not exist.

Mesmer does nothing of value besides veil/portal in large engagements due to their crappy AoE and how clones/phants die immediately since unlike PvE they have no aoe immunity.

Don’t forget boonshare :b

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

You don’t like veil and portal so anet should remove the skills?

Lol

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’s kinda that way with most of what’s objectively good, though. Most mesmers who enjoy the role are typically people who like playing support roles and think the aesthetic is cooler than the ele. Being told not to play a thief for example, versus playing a boring utility mesmer is kind of the same thing for those who like that style of play.

That said, a lot of people who do complain on the matter are typically pugs running with their server’s pug commander, or aren’t in a guild or running consistently with a group to prove their worth when deviating from the standard. I say this from a plethora of personal experience where some commanders have recognized that my overall contribution on my thief vastly outweighs having an extra warrior or ele, for downing two or three people before the sides even collide in a fight gets very early momentum either by forcing burned cooldowns, and spooks the remaining enemy backline.

Overall, if you’re in a zerg fighting other zergs of relatively even numbers and are not a critical player, run what you’re good with. If you’re zerg-busting and are way outnumbered, you absolutely must play team comp because of the numbers disparity.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

It’s kinda that way with most of what’s objectively good, though. Most mesmers who enjoy the role are typically people who like playing support roles and think the aesthetic is cooler than the ele. Being told not to play a thief for example, versus playing a boring utility mesmer is kind of the same thing for those who like that style of play.

That said, a lot of people who do complain on the matter are typically pugs running with their server’s pug commander, or aren’t in a guild or running consistently with a group to prove their worth when deviating from the standard. I say this from a plethora of personal experience where some commanders have recognized that my overall contribution on my thief vastly outweighs having an extra warrior or ele, for downing two or three people before the sides even collide in a fight gets very early momentum either by forcing burned cooldowns, and spooks the remaining enemy backline.

Overall, if you’re in a zerg fighting other zergs of relatively even numbers and are not a critical player, run what you’re good with. If you’re zerg-busting and are way outnumbered, you absolutely must play team comp because of the numbers disparity.

Speak for yourself. I rolled mesmer, because in the pre-launch reddit AMA they said mesmers would be a high DPS class as a light armor wearer.

I rolled a mesmer because in GW1 they were both an interrupt and high damage machine in PvE (besides necro the only class with unmitigated damage).

I didn’t roll a mesmer to be a support class.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

And thieves are supposed to be the best duelists, and rangers were supposed to be the best ranged profession for years and weren’t up until the huge longbow changes, and warriors are supposed to be the most mobile; we’re seeing how accurately ANet’s capacity to balance the game around that initial vision and in comparison is going, particularly as to what’s optimal.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

And thieves are supposed to be the best duelists, and rangers were supposed to be the best ranged profession for years and weren’t up until the huge longbow changes, and warriors are supposed to be the most mobile; we’re seeing how accurately ANet’s capacity to balance the game around that initial vision and in comparison is going, particularly as to what’s optimal.

Maybe so but rangers weren’t absolutely the worst ranged class were they? Warriors were very mobile and still are over XY terrain. Meanwhile mesmer isn’t just not living up entirely to being a dps machine, it flat out is the worst for it.

To keep it on topic, I think most mesmers really need to give portal a try, if you have a small group who can interrupt/CC enemies reliably for you to burst on them then there’s no reason to not run portal. It is so incredibly useful for escaping bad situations or getting things done faster. I was apprehensive at the time but after I really gave it my time and effort I realised how strong it is even solo.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Maybe so but rangers weren’t absolutely the worst ranged class were they? Warriors were very mobile and still are over XY terrain. Meanwhile mesmer isn’t just not living up entirely to being a dps machine, it flat out is the worst for it.

To keep it on topic, I think most mesmers really need to give portal a try, if you have a small group who can interrupt/CC enemies reliably for you to burst on them then there’s no reason to not run portal. It is so incredibly useful for escaping bad situations or getting things done faster. I was apprehensive at the time but after I really gave it my time and effort I realised how strong it is even solo.

I don’t use portal because I’m asked to take veil and signet of inspiration. My last utility is blink. When you figure out how to get a 4th utility slot, let me know.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Thieves were also supposed to be the best at mobility, and they are. They’re also one of the best duelists, so that fits. Warrior is the most mobile profession after thief, and the most durable one as well as they said.

Rangers are still not best at anything, not even range (that goes to ele/necro), so they gave them healing as a cruel joke (how it came to be that guardians became the burst trap longbow spec while rangers got the healing spec is beyond me).

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

I don’t use portal because I’m asked to take veil and signet of inspiration. My last utility is blink. When you figure out how to get a 4th utility slot, let me know.

Well I guess that’s the difference between your server and mine. Mine doesn’t like boonshare so we don’t have to put in signet of inspiration and I explained to our driver that veil is next to useless without PU, then showed him how it’s not useful on flat open terrain when he asks for it 1200 range from the enemy.

I hate veil + portal

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Well I guess that’s the difference between your server and mine. Mine doesn’t like boonshare so we don’t have to put in signet of inspiration and I explained to our driver that veil is next to useless without PU, then showed him how it’s not useful on flat open terrain when he asks for it 1200 range from the enemy.

Veil isn’t used to surprise the enemy.

You use veil to delay the enemy pulling an epidemic bomb on your melee train. Epidemic is a targeted skill. Stealth prevents that targeting for a few seconds, allowing your team more time to get in range of pushing with their leaps/blocks.

And yeah, in Tarnished Coast we do NOT use Signet of Inspiration. We have enough revs, eles, and guardians to where this is simply not an issue.

Often veil is useful to also prevent the enemy mesmer from pinsniping with moad on the commander or preventing early pulls from guardian spears.

(edited by Zenith.7301)