I love being a Mesmer but...

in Mesmer

Posted by: ManBearPig.7308

ManBearPig.7308

Butterflies!

Coming from Everquest 2 and playing a Coercer I really loved having the dark side of an Enchanter and get that sort of feel with the Mesmer but the butterflies are just not doing it for me.

If there’s any way we could change this to a Star or something that doesn’t make me feel like after I shatter that I should be picked up by a Unicorn and ride on some Rainbow through the clouds it would be great!

Sincerely,
A male who plays a Mesmer. :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

They are corpse eating butterflies. I swear they are real, you can’t make this stuff up!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Please allow us to change the color too!! Purple? Just rolled a mesmer alt…loving the gameplay, but the purple/butterflies are really turning me off it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scelestus.5018

Scelestus.5018

A real malicious male mesmer is not afraid of pink or purple. And don’t forget….

No one ever suspects the butterfly!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

“Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” Fits the mesmer playstyle quite well actually.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Mesmers aren’t dark so much as they’re massive trolls. Piking someone while I’m covered in butterflies just adds further insult to their injury.

That’s something I approve of.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

I love them. I understand where you’re coming from. A dark vibe to the mesmer would be pretty cool but I also like this, makes us stand out

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Butterflies wings make illusions to fool predators that is after it.

So I say they fit us, also butterflies are use in the chaos theory. Which again fits are class perfect.

Now about the color Purple, first it have been use for Emperors of Rome. Then from their it was use for most royalty and the Pop.

Basically Purple is a sign of royalty, which again fits the Mesmer, since they have a air of nobility in most of the lore.

Now about Pink, first it was not a female color until the 1920’s. It was stolen by girls during that time.

However, before then it was thought that blue was a girl color and pink was a guy color. Basically it all about culture, what your culture says what you should like, you will like.
In the past pink was taught since was young that it was a manly color and so it was treated as such and blue was treated as a female color and so it was treated that way.
Hell in the 1910’s on a survey over 70% of all males like pink, and over 90% of all females was big on blue.

ANYWAY what makes pink so good for Mesmer is pink is not a real color, it not in the spectrum and no mix of the color spectrum makes pink.

Pink is actually a illusion are brains make up.

Edit: male here, but love the theme/color for the mez. Fits the class perfectly, so good job ArenaNet

(edited by EsLafiel.4517)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

“Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” Fits the mesmer playstyle quite well actually.

Actually I have altered the quote to fit us and I would appreciate we all take this as our tag:

We mesmers Float like a bee, sting like a purple butterfly!
Psycho Somatica
(80 mesmer)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zleec.7458

Zleec.7458

I just got GW2 and was looking forward to play something out of the ordinary as a Mesmer but then I stumbled upon this thread. Butterflies?? Not so sure anymore…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

See? You’re upset that you’re using butterflies and purple, just imagine how much more kitten you’d be when you realize the guy kicking your kitten all over the place is using butterflies and purple.

The way i see it is like pouring 10 tons of salt all over their wounds and cackling maniacally as they suffered.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Mesmer

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

I can appreciate peoples reasons for liking the purple butterflys… but my mesmer is geared to look more like a warlock. In a game where the entire endgame is cosmetic I’d just like to be able to change color scheme on a per character basis. Perhaps apply dye color as magic color?… Personally, the butterflys don’t bother me as much as the color.

in Mesmer

Posted by: leftharted.7102

leftharted.7102

Heh, i thought the butterflies to be a bit ‘ghey’ at first, but i rolled a Sylvari mesmer… and personally, i justify the butterflies because Syvari are plant people, who generally have some kind of mystical attunment to nature… Therefore, im simply an enchanter that controls….. well…. magical see-through purple butterflies…

i actually woudlnt mind if for other races mesmers had stars or just purple effects etc, but i think the Butterflies mesh with Sylvari well, in terms of lore, and character appeal.

on a side note, i never loved EQ2 much… but oh man, Everquest (back in the day..) was AWESOMENOCITY. ive grown to like how GW doesnt have concrete set ‘roles’ for each class or spec, but gawd do i miss those days of EXTREME group cooperation… and NO MMO has remastered that as well as EQ1 did.

i sincerely miss my shaman/cleric/druid/bard days….. Cleric was my main…. i remember when my guild first learned how to macro 5-10 clerics in a ‘Complete Heal’ spell line…. it was a 10 second cast spell, and we had macro timers to signal the next cleric to start casting, to where our main tank was COMPLETELY healed every 1-3 seconds…. not to mention all the other extreme variables…… Raiding has NEVER been the same…….

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Purple butterflies are cool enough for Psylocke – they’re cool enough for us.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

I love my purple butterflies, they match perfectly with my princess wand (so sad scepter doesn’t match my build tho).

I wish ANet could add a /butterflies emote. Throwing butterlies everywhere. Hop, hop ! It would be amazing.

VoxL, NSPPT

in Mesmer

Posted by: Juyoon.7984

Juyoon.7984

how bout change the butterfly with just a smoke effect??
just like ninja, LOL

in Mesmer

Posted by: ManBearPig.7308

ManBearPig.7308

I’m ok with smoke, or crystals, or stars or something other than a butterfly (I’m even ok with the color). It’s just hard for me to play this game with my wife laughing at my “Macho Butterflies”!

I would pay some gems to make this a changeable option! It’s just that I’m supposed to be this master of manipulation and think that something like a glass/crystal shattering would be way more appropriate. The butterflies make me think I’m giving my foes gas problems instead of instilling terror from manipulation.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Purple butterflies and the death of my opponents.

Priceless.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenfluence.6387

Zenfluence.6387

Eh….when I looked at the class the butterflies and color scheme immediately meshed perfectly with what I understood as the direction/concept for the class. Mesmer first and foremost is about deception, and there is absolutely no easier way to charm/deceive/control/manipulate someone or get them to drop their guard than through beauty, which is where the colors/butterfly symbolism comes in.

Hell beautiful (mentally stable) people tend to have lives that are far easier than the norm, which (along with as some1 mentioned b4, the royal-like purple colors) also reference the Duelist fighter…aristocratic, dodging, parrying dominating his/her opponents in an “easy” fashion..again through control.

So yeah I guess it all depends on what you expected out the character, but personally I love Everything about the class in concept. And it fits my personal mentality as well. But IMO it obviously drew heavy inspiration from characters like Psylocke from X-men or perhaps even Byakuya from the Bleach Anime.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Butterflies and chaos from the chaos theory, specifically the butterfly effect, a distant butterfly can cause the way hurricanes and time travel in stories, or how a bigger plot breaks into smaller ones.

To be honest, I barely notice it. Not sure if people feel emasculated because they shoot butterflies at people :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

I don’t mind the butterflies, it’s the pink that does kinda bother me. I’d like it more if they were a mix of blue, purple, white and some pink instead of just hot pink.

What really bothers me are the sounds that some skills make, like the GS auto attack, blink and illusion explosion. So loud! Gotta turn down the sound when I’m on my mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Hah, the original post reminds me of this game, when he starts talking about unicorns. http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html It’s highly addictive btw.

As for butterflies, I think they fit perfectly into the illusion and chaos theatrics that the class is based on. It would be cool if we could change colors (but for all classes), to allow more customizing, but I have no problem with the current ones. I mean, just makes it seem more psychedelic.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

Exacly my thouts of today. I was wondring what i should play, and keep pushing myself : I should play Mesmer. Its a really good class. But this “fluffy” and glittering style is sooooo not me.

It does need a lot darker side, with lot more evil themed effects.
all the skills and mechanic can stay the same, just give an option to make it look more evil.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zyk.3597

Zyk.3597

I’d only support this if they did a fluffy/dark combo for every class. I want a technicolour necro and a disco ele.

In all seriousness, I love the Mesmer aesthetic. Not sure why everything needs to have a dark grimdark option. I’m totally serious that I’d be fine with that if other classes got more interesting and colourful alternative aesthetics, but, if not, I don’t really see why Mesmer should be singled out for changes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

I don’t understand the mesmer-style hate >:

Purple is CLEARLY the most kitten colour. End of discussion.

Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Seem my post was to long for people…. so here short version

Butterflies in real life make illusions/chaos theory work around butterflies.

Pink does not exist, it a illusion are mind make up.

Purple have always been a nobility/royalty color.

Easy to understand now???

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rislo.6293

Rislo.6293

Butterflies wings make illusions to fool predators that is after it.

So I say they fit us, also butterflies are use in the chaos theory. Which again fits are class perfect.

Now about the color Purple, first it have been use for Emperors of Rome. Then from their it was use for most royalty and the Pop.

Basically Purple is a sign of royalty, which again fits the Mesmer, since they have a air of nobility in most of the lore.

Now about Pink, first it was not a female color until the 1920’s. It was stolen by girls during that time.

However, before then it was thought that blue was a girl color and pink was a guy color. Basically it all about culture, what your culture says what you should like, you will like.
In the past pink was taught since was young that it was a manly color and so it was treated as such and blue was treated as a female color and so it was treated that way.
Hell in the 1910’s on a survey over 70% of all males like pink, and over 90% of all females was big on blue.

ANYWAY what makes pink so good for Mesmer is pink is not a real color, it not in the spectrum and no mix of the color spectrum makes pink.

Pink is actually a illusion are brains make up.

Edit: male here, but love the theme/color for the mez. Fits the class perfectly, so good job ArenaNet

100% Fact, good sir. Very true stuff. I was the same way with the purpley butterflies and felt it necessary to roll a female so there would be no confusion of sexuality lol. Then i read that same information about “pink” and also about butterflies being like, some kind of staple for confusion/chaos. Then i realized as well that rolling a female was an odd way of protecting my “man-ish” personality, and seemed even more contrary to what i was trying to accomplish lol.
But, the way I’ve personally tried to see it is that it just adds to the mindkitten that we, as mesmers, accel at. Nothing better than facerolling somebody and leaving them in a swathe of floaty butterflies to add to the confusion of “what the hell just happened”…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rislo.6293

Rislo.6293

I prefer to think of myself as illusionist/twisted magician, rather than specifically a mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Palu.3405

Palu.3405

I love the butterflies and the purple theme. As EsLafiel very clearly showed us, the butterflies and the purple really compliment the theme of the mesmer. There are already tons of customizations available through dyeing one’s armor, through the different particle effects and weapons, and even through the basic physical appearance/race of one’s character. I wouldn’t be opposed to an option to customize the color of the butterflies, but I think that asking for wholly new particle effects is a waste of time and resources for ANet, plus there would be plenty of players upset if the butterflies were removed.

Besides, everyone who plays a mesmer likely knew that there would be butterflies from the numerous videos/photos of mesmers that were available even before launch. Ultimately, people shouldn’t play a profession if they have major qualms about it, including aesthetic concerns. It is not wise to play a class you don’t like aesthetically and then come here trying to change it to fit your own personal style. Not everything has to have some dark/manly/tough/etc theme to it and I think that this subject is as silly as a necromancer saying that he finds death shroud and his summoned minions too ugly and undead looking and would prefer pretty well-dressed and groomed minions and a flowery death shroud.

Sincerely,
A male who plays a male mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The butterflies has meaning. It’s both a metaphor for transformation, like a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. And a metaphor for the caterpillar’s, and butterfly’s, ability to mimic appearance.

-

Then, of curse, there’s the chaos theory. Also known as the butterfly effect =)

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

If it helps, I always thought the most cool light-saber was Mace Windu’s which is….. yep purple. I think the purple is awesome on the GS auto-attack.

The butterflies put me off when I read about it on the wiki (before BWEs), but I honestly don’t notice the effect when playing the game. My brain processes it as purple illusion particle effects. Honestly, what would you use in place of the butterflies (try to visualize your suggest as a semi-transparent, luminescent, collection in the shade of purple — you can’t think of anything that fits!)

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zebra.4739

Zebra.4739

Butterflies are like a symbol of dreams and illusions. I don’t understand the whole “this is killing my macho vibe” thing going here… It’s like people thinking unicorns are for sissies (sorry, but a horse that can spear you with a horn is pretty kitten).

Purple is also one of my favorite colors, don’t mind the pink too much as I personally think it fits the mesmer more than any other color. Not everything has to have a grimdark sense about it, mesmers aren’t even that dark really, nowhere near as dark as necros.

Plus, I love my manly charr mesmer shooting purple beams and exploding in a cloud of butterflies. ;D

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

if butterflies are really so upsetting to some of you, i think you have serious problem… no really how can an animation on a game put your manhood to an hedge? is your manhood more fragile than a butterfly?
and besides the mesmer is not an evil dark wizard who sold is soul the the god of death in order to have some power…
i think the mesmer shouldn’t be a mage at all… it is a prestige, a master of deception, a profession who makes fun of his enemies and doesn’t take himself so serious, he don’t need to, he wants to be underestimated, he wants to look fluffy and weak, the istant you believe this he is already mesmer tanking you, or maybe just a copy of him? you can never now until butterflies…

well i love the mesmer class and the concept of it, i think it’s very original and amazing to play with (after i started to play mesmer i couldn’t enjoy any other class).

p.s. i’m a gay who plays a gay mesmer btw… it’s even better!!^^

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Heh. As we are now, it’s less like a “Mage/Illusionist” and more like a “Psionicist.” Mindkitten, Time/Space Manipulation. It’s like an advanced Telepath/Psychokinetic.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I’m really glad @EsLafiel and some of you here wrote posts talking about how the chaos theory, butterflies and the colors scheme fit so well.
I gained some knowledge! I didn’t know pink didn’t exist haha, that’s incredible, it makes me feel even better about the mesmer when I thought it was already at it’s max.

I always found that everything on the mesmer asthetics fit perfectly, we are theatrical, we have fluff, we daze and counfound the mind, we stink of royalty, we demonstrate artistry and luxury, deception and beauty.

It’s way too great and chaotic.

Obs:
@Amadan We are more mind-mages, the most pure form of magic, that’s why we use weapons to channel them by their yeilding and creating phantasms that use them.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

in Mesmer

Posted by: purpleskies.3274

purpleskies.3274

Butterflies!

Coming from Everquest 2 and playing a Coercer I really loved having the dark side of an Enchanter and get that sort of feel with the Mesmer but the butterflies are just not doing it for me.

If there’s any way we could change this to a Star or something that doesn’t make me feel like after I shatter that I should be picked up by a Unicorn and ride on some Rainbow through the clouds it would be great!

Sincerely,
A male who plays a Mesmer. :P

Butterflies, get this heretic; he speaks against you! :P

(edited by purpleskies.3274)

in Mesmer

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

Purple is my least favorite color, but c’mon. Purple. Butterflies.

kitten yeah.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I feel you, man. My main is a mesmer, and I really hate the butterflies.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.