I'm thinking about coming back, what's new?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fodux.5379

Fodux.5379

Hello fellow mesmers. I’ve been away from the game for over a year and am thinking about coming back. My favorite character at the time was my shatter mesmer (close to Osicat’s but with a few adjustments to better fit my play style).

I was wondering if you guys could help me out getting a better understanding of what’s changed? From the forums I can tell that certain things were nerfed, but I was hoping someone could give me a more helpful report on the changes.

I mostly played WvW at the time, and prob will be doing that again unless it completely sucks now. Though I’ll likely want to explore some of the new areas that have come out since as well.

I remember the mesmer community being pretty tight at the time, and I’m hoping it still is and that someone can drop some knowledge on me and let me know if shatter mesmers are still viable.

Thanks in advance.

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

I understand that it might be a daunting task to give me a full recap. But maybe just let me know of one or two changes, and if enough people have time to help me out I can eventually get a full picture.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’m too tired atm to give you anything but a rather pessimistic outlook, so hopefully someone else will provide a counterpoint.

What’s new is that we’ve gotten enormous numbers of bugs crippling the class. We got a significant number of them fixed with the recent feature patch…only to add several more rather incredible ones.

Mesmer got some small boosts to zerg combat, but still isn’t really optimal for most situations. Mesmer still isn’t really viable in high level organized tPvP. Mesmer had one of the most interesting and unique abilities removed (mimic) and replaced with something that’s boring and ineffective at doing anything.

Several nerfs targeted at PU builds have hit the class. Unfortunately, these nerfs only ended up reducing build viability outside of PU, as PU gives the necessary flexibility to handle said nerfs. Additionally, torment was slapped onto the scepter autoattack, meaning that they’ve now decided that the scepter autoattack is good enough because it applies torment…even though it’s still actually barely usable and arguably one of the worst autoattacks in the game.

Oh, and roaming as a shatter build is gonna get you killed if you encounter any competent condition roamers unless you have buddies to roam with.

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

Oh man, is that why no one else answered? Sadness? But thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I used to love mesmer because it allowed for so much creativity when playing it, but it seems like those days might be gone.

Also, if you or anyone else has some time, is there any way I can get some specifics on the things you mentioned? Such as the boosts to zerg combat and the nerfs targeted at PU. What exactly were the tweaks?

Thanks again.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calliope.8675

Calliope.8675

Let’s see. Something positive to offset Pyro’s negativity….

We got new traits (which they promptly “fixed” one of them).

They removed Raid on the Capricorn map from pvp (which I think was a bad call, but I guess the majority didn’t like learning how to play underwater).

They removed the pvp locker and added a wardrobe, for those aesthetically inclined.

I still play my mesmer, same as always. I adapt to however they fix/break/cripple the class and play around that. It would be nice if they would actually take time to consider what the kitten they are going to do before they do it, but that requires more thought process than I guess some people like to use. I encounter this in my own work place. That aside…

Other classes got buffed. Ranger got buffed (see all the threads of QQ about that here on the mesmer forum too). Longbow #2 [Rapid Fire] is ridiculously fast now. So you can expect to see a bunch of underskilled power rangers spamming their #2 as often as it is not on cooldown. (Hence the biggest outcry for original Mimic from the mesmer community.)

I play for people anymore. =) Join OMFG. Maybe we can get Pyro to stick around a little longer than a couple days.

in Mesmer

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

MoP is now a 240 AoE so tagging is no longer an issue, MoD is now 180 AoE so it opens up some zerg interruption builds. The “newer” new trait triumphant distortion allows phantasm to have 1s distortion when cast, thus allow at least one or half an attack against zerg. However mantra channeling is still slow and the CD on phantasm means GWEN is still dominating the zerg damage.

Specific nerf at PU is that they added more boons to dilute aegis/protection/regen proc. Swiftness is alright but one stack of might is just there to annoy people. What Pyro refers to hitting other builds are the clone death traits, they can now be evaded and debilitating dissipation has its bleed damage reduced by 40% or so.

iLeap clones no longer suffer horrible pathing issues such as tripped over on hills/stairs or chasing random butterflies, but they are now LoS restricted. Some people also reflect that it can’t function at 600 range. Also iSwap no longer works when the clone died, so it is harder for mesmer to avoid hambow chain in melee range.

iElasticity now functions on staff clone’s WoC, many condition builds now invest 4 (btw traits are 14 points instead of 70 points now, everything is in x5 increment) traits into illusions. This also add little bit more sustain pressure to GS/Staff shatter build, which is our best current meta in tPvP. Just to add a little more to what Pyro said, despite it is our best meta atm, it takes a lot of effort and skills for this shatter build to shine in high end tPvP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Oh man, is that why no one else answered? Sadness.

The reason is more that the community has lost its vivaciousness. There’s a lot of new mesmers, and a lot of people with questions, but not a lot of presence and enthusiasm from veterans or key community players.

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

Wow, a lot more has changed than I was expecting. It seems like the only thing that hasn’t changed is that WvW is still unbalanced, lol. But I really appreciate all the info. It’s nice that some of the bugs got fixed, I remember the pathing issues being really annoying. And it’s funny that ranger got buffed, as that’s what I originally rolled before I got bored and rolled a mesmer.

I just logged on a few minutes ago and was hoping to be able to see what build I used to run in hopes that it would help me refresh my memory. But alas, the shift to 14 points Nicenikeshoe mentioned has reset everything. It prob doesn’t make much of a difference though because it seems like everything has changed anyways.

I was met with a bunch of achievements and was asked to pick some skins. I picked GS and sword. Hopefully those weapons are still good. I think I’m going to have to spend this weekend re-learning how to play before I fully understand all the changes enough to figure out my new build.

In the meantime, can you guys suggest a current build to get me started?

Thanks again.

PS. I read the post about OMFG and am def down. One of my favorite things about being a mesmer before I stopped playing was that it was a tight community. I’m glad to see that hasn’t changed.

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

Oh man, is that why no one else answered? Sadness.

The reason is more that the community has lost its vivaciousness. There’s a lot of new mesmers, and a lot of people with questions, but not a lot of presence and enthusiasm from veterans or key community players.

Well consider me a veteran with amnesia. Once I get my memory back ima be all over this ish, haha. Seriously though, with all these changes it’s prob gonna take me a bit to be anywhere near as knowledgeable as I used to be. But I appreciate the help I’ve already gotten.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

they fixed I-leap
nuff said.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

they fixed I-leap
nuff said.

They also nerfed into the ground. Nuff said?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Current builds tend to be

PU : x/4/6/x/x usually leans towards conditions

Shatter : 4/4/0/0/6 or 0/4/4/0/6 latter leans towards tanking or “Condition shatter”

Phantasm : i forget this one, i never run it i hate relying on the AI..

Lock Down : x/x/6/x/x Pick CI instead of PU and check forums for various builds and tips on how to play this.

DPS : 6/4/x/x/x Grab Empowering mantras and slot in 4 mantras, mostly used for dungeons or PvE

That’s about it, you can still goof off with various other builds but those are about it each with its various places and levels of success and usefulness. The first Two are the most viable in sPvP and WvW roaming, PU more so for WvW.

Pryo tends to use colorful language to drive the point home, it’s not That bad but things for mesmer haven’t exactly… “improved” … for a long time.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

They removed Raid on the Capricorn map from pvp (which I think was a bad call, but I guess the majority didn’t like learning how to play underwater).

They removed the pvp locker and added a wardrobe, for those aesthetically inclined.

I still play my mesmer, same as always. I adapt to however they fix/break/cripple the class and play around that. It would be nice if they would actually take time to consider what the kitten they are going to do before they do it, but that requires more thought process than I guess some people like to use. I encounter this in my own work place. That aside…

Other classes got buffed. Ranger got buffed (see all the threads of QQ about that here on the mesmer forum too). Longbow #2 [Rapid Fire] is ridiculously fast now. So you can expect to see a bunch of underskilled power rangers spamming their #2 as often as it is not on cooldown. (Hence the biggest outcry for original Mimic from the mesmer community.)

I play for people anymore. =) Join OMFG. Maybe we can get Pyro to stick around a little longer than a couple days.

What do you mean “I play for people anymore”? :p

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Calliope.8675

<3 I play for you, Takka (my Suncore guildie), sensei (when he gets his butt online), Valas (another Sun guildie but almost never on, like sensei), Pyro (when he’s not being a baby and gets online), Lynch, Chaos (of Twilight), Balz, and some people I am probably forgetting… NO WARLORD! I still hate you.

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

Thanks for the builds Swish. I will promptly google what PU means and maybe give that a shot, haha. I’m also considering the shatter build Vash posted, but it looks like it might be too advanced for where I am right now. So much has changed that I feel like I might need a more basic build to help get me caught up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

PU = Prismatic Understanding

And yeah, all the acronyms can get confusing, even for those of us who’ve been playing since beta.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

Except you didn’t really say anything to counter Pyro’s negativity aside from, "
We got new traits (which they promptly “fixed” one of them)." Doesn’t make me want to play a Mesmer again.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Except you didn’t really say anything to counter Pyro’s negativity aside from, "
We got new traits (which they promptly “fixed” one of them)." Doesn’t make me want to play a Mesmer again.

No one wants to play Mesmer, the Mesmer players are being played by the Mesmer itself… they have no choice..

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Calliope.8675

=D Our OMFG team won their first fight (in the tournament of glory), though they got eliminated in the next one. I think that goes to show people mesmers are tougher than they are given credit for. I’m very happy for everyone on the team. Good job guys!

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Thanks for the builds Swish. I will promptly google what PU means and maybe give that a shot, haha. I’m also considering the shatter build Vash posted, but it looks like it might be too advanced for where I am right now. So much has changed that I feel like I might need a more basic build to help get me caught up.

If you are interested in playing your previous build, can you describe it to us?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Mesmer

Fodux.5379

If you are interested in playing your previous build, can you describe it to us?

I don’t remember much, but I know it was a shatter build with some adjustments for better team play – as I usually roamed WvW in small groups. All I remember is I was really hard to kill. When I logged back on my build was reset because of the shift to 14 points, but the utilities I had equipped were Blink, Feedback, and Portal. With Time Warp as my elite. I know I used decoy a lot too, but don’t remember which utility I substituted for it.

I’m running a more traditional shatter build now while I get the hang of things. Though I feel way squishier than I used to (which prob has more to do with me being really rusty than the build).