I miss Fast Casting...

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

For those who may not have played the original GW, Mesmer’s had 4 trait lines: “Domination”, “Inspiration”, “Illusions” and their primary line “Fast Casting”.

“Fast Casting” only had a handful of skills, but it reduced the cast times of ALL mesmer skills. The more attribute points the larger the reduction. This made the Mesmer THE COUNTER class. The Mesmer could see what the enemy was doing and quickly cast a counter skill before the enemy was done with his.

Because of the lag issues and such, it makes it hard to have the same type of quick reactions/data transfers due to the nature of massive multiplayer online gaming. So no “Fast Casting” for the GW2 Mesmer.

Mantra’s are supposed to be our “fast casting” skills in GW2. We precharge them and then they become instant casts skills. But the 2 1/2 second charge time is still clunky and really doesn’t provide the fast casting playstyle/heritage from GW.

We do have Time Warp. 10 pulses of 1sec quickness on a 210sec cooldown. Its a very good Elite, but a very long cooldown.

If any boon says “mesmer”, its quickness. So I guess I don’t understand why Mesmer’s don’t have more access to it. It’s the heritage of the profession. “Fast Casting” is the PRIMARY attribute line of the GW Mesmer.

What if mesmer’s did have more access to quickenss? Just small bursts of quickness, like 2 seconds, here and there.

What if say, Chaos Armor applied 2 secs of quickness? What that be too much?

Remember, chaos armor can be obtained via any ethereal field and a blast/leap finisher. So Mesmer’s could spread the quickness around with our ethereal fields. We’d be providing mini “time warps” with our ethereal fields! It’d make our glamour skills a little more attractive. More support options..

And my own personal reasons, it would help make Mantra’s a little less clunky. Timing a chaos armor around a Mantra recharge would greatly help making Mantra’s more widely used/accepted.

Thoughts? Wishful thinking? Would it be too much?

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

(edited by SlimChance.6593)

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I would love to see per-class stats have a bigger impact.
Sure, each class has one, but they’re all so… lame. It’s either cooldown, maximum or regen.

What we could do with some more daring design decisions (IMO classes should not be balanced one for one, rather they should have specific class-based pros and cons so they feel really strong in the situations they’re good at) would be to make classes feel more unique even if they had the exact same skills.
This then allows to add more weapons to more classes while giving the weapons identities, and to add more skills to classes in general.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Fast casting was a beastly stat to have not just because it lowered some Mesmer spells casting times but rather the casting times of any spells from any other professions as well.

This ment Mesmers could crack off meteor shower faster than ele and heal faster than monks and so on so forth…

In a game filled with low cast times and no casting bars fast casting is just kinda prebuilt into every single profession and Mesmers get the kitten covered end of the stick because of it.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Schattenlied.4873

Schattenlied.4873

When I used Furious Interruption I had the impression that I cannot do that much with quickness as a mesmer. Most skills are already quite fast and our autoattacks aren´t that strong for spamming.
Mantras could benefit from more quickness for sure, but at the moment our sources aren´t reliable enough to build on them for fast mantra recharges on a regular basis.

Your idea sounds interesting, but imho it´s too much focused on staff users. You mentioned our glamour skills. Yes, they´re open for every weapon set, but if i had to use several glamour skills to improve mantras, there isn´t much room left on the skillbar for Decoy or Blink.

On the other hand, this would allow some interesting combos in coordinated large scale wvw. Imagine 1 Nullfield + 1 thief for blasts + backline → BURST.

Xaverí [RUN] [OMFG] [TDS]
Sylvari-Mesmer
Kodash

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

@swish

Fast casting was a beastly stat to have not just because it lowered some Mesmer spells casting times but rather the casting times of any spells from any other professions as well.

This was true initially, but it eventually was changed to only affect Mesmer Skills and:::

No effect for non-Mesmer skills with an activation time less than 2 seconds.

@Schattenlied

Mantras could benefit from more quickness for sure, but at the moment our sources aren´t reliable enough to build on them for fast mantra recharges on a regular basis.

Hence the suggestion of adding quickness to chaos armor.

Its a change to chaos armor, which is a staff skill. So yeah, staff players would benefit more often. But it wouldn’t be ONLY staff. You can also get chaos armor from sword/focus/veil, torch/glamor. Also, since staff’s auto attack isn’t all that fast to begin with, those 2sec of quickness would help but wouldn’t be too over the top. And Staff #4 chaos armor is on a long 35 second cooldown.

Or is 2 seconds of quickness NOT ENOUGH to make a difference??? Should it be 3 seconds?

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

For those who may not have played the original GW, Mesmer’s had 4 trait lines: “Domination”, “Inspiration”, “Illusions” and their primary line “Fast Casting”.

“Fast Casting” only had a handful of skills, but it reduced the cast times of ALL mesmer skills. The more attribute points the larger the reduction. This made the Mesmer THE COUNTER class. The Mesmer could see what the enemy was doing and quickly cast a counter skill before the enemy was done with his.

Because of the lag issues and such, it makes it hard to have the same type of quick reactions/data transfers due to the nature of massive multiplayer online gaming. So no “Fast Casting” for the GW2 Mesmer.

Mantra’s are supposed to be our “fast casting” skills in GW2. We precharge them and then they become instant casts skills. But the 2 1/2 second charge time is still clunky and really doesn’t provide the fast casting playstyle/heritage from GW.

We do have Time Warp. 10 pulses of 1sec quickness on a 210sec cooldown. Its a very good Elite, but a very long cooldown.

If any boon says “mesmer”, its quickness. So I guess I don’t understand why Mesmer’s don’t have more access to it. It’s the heritage of the profession. “Fast Casting” is the PRIMARY attribute line of the GW Mesmer.

What if mesmer’s did have more access to quickenss? Just small bursts of quickness, like 2 seconds, here and there.

What if say, Chaos Armor applied 2 secs of quickness? What that be too much?

Remember, chaos armor can be obtained via any ethereal field and a blast/leap finisher. So Mesmer’s could spread the quickness around with our ethereal fields. We’d be providing mini “time warps” with our ethereal fields! It’d make our glamour skills a little more attractive. More support options..

And my own personal reasons, it would help make Mantra’s a little less clunky. Timing a chaos armor around a Mantra recharge would greatly help making Mantra’s more widely used/accepted.

Thoughts? Wishful thinking? Would it be too much?

I misse it to…

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Schattenlied.4873

Schattenlied.4873

Hence the suggestion of adding quickness to chaos armor.

Its a change to chaos armor, which is a staff skill. So yeah, staff players would benefit more often. But it wouldn’t be ONLY staff. You can also get chaos armor from sword/focus/veil, torch/glamor. Also, since staff’s auto attack isn’t all that fast to begin with, those 2sec of quickness would help but wouldn’t be too over the top. And Staff #4 chaos armor is on a long 35 second cooldown.

Or is 2 seconds of quickness NOT ENOUGH to make a difference??? Should it be 3 seconds?

2 second should be fine, but I would prefer to add quickness to other skills than Chaos Armor. Its 35 second cooldown and the necessity to use staff (or the not so often used Glamour skills + combo finisher) decrease the use for a greater variety of builds. As I said, reliable quickness would benefit mantra builds the most. There is no place for Glamour skills in those builds and there are a lot of other interesting weapon options besides staff.

Furious Interuption on the other hand would be interesting if it had a lower cooldown. It´s not tied to specific weapons or utilities as well. That´s what i critizied on your approach, it´s not really accessible for a lot of builds.

Xaverí [RUN] [OMFG] [TDS]
Sylvari-Mesmer
Kodash

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I might be for “3 Seconds of Quickness on Mantra Channelling” instead of Protected Mantras to speed up mantra charging. This might create cool techniques like canceling mantra channelling to gain an on-demand quickness.

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

2sec Quickness on Staff 4 sounds cool but do be careful because getting to use Chaos Armour and switching to GS for Quickness Mirror Blade might be a bit of an issue (its one of the strongest spikes in the game and it balanced by its relatively long cast time and obvious animation).

I do like the idea of adding an offensive element to the Staff 4 Chaos Armour though – but not for ALL Chaos Armour.

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

gw2 mesmer is a very sad comparison to it’s gw1 counterpart. Gw1 mesmer is a beast, very fun and unique profession.

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

gw2 mesmer is a very sad comparison to it’s gw1 counterpart. Gw1 mesmer is a beast, very fun and unique profession.

Also, oranges are WAY better than apples when comparing fruit.

I miss Fast Casting...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Also, oranges are WAY better than apples when comparing fruit.

There are different mechanics, its is hard to compare since classes in gw2 are designed to 5vs5 (imo is a lie), or to blob vs blob, if they were balanced to 1vs1 or to each role they can represent it was possible to compare gw1 class with gw3.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.