If I don't like playing melee am I screwed?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

With every build worth using having us wield the sword and two different off hands, and now with the mirage having the melee axe, I feel like I’m never gonna be the illusionary mage that I signed up for when I created my mesmer.

Is has me wondering if it’s better for me to stick with my caster build and accept being kitten in openworld and unwelcome in group content, or just switch my main from mesmer to ele even though I don’t like the elemental theming and after I’ve committed so much to trying to build a mesmer I enjoy. :(

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

So far it sounds like we are screwed even if we like melee.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnchantixAqua.5327

EnchantixAqua.5327

Rewatch the Mirage video again, it specifically says that the axe can be used at close and mid range. Therefore, it’s a hybrid of both.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

It’s going to be insanely OP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Feersum Endjinn.4179

Feersum Endjinn.4179

I don’t think it will be OP unless they have decided that the axe is going to do insane dps, otherwise not that much of a change from the kitten dps Chrono already does.

in Mesmer

Roda.7468

Rewatch the Mirage video again, it specifically says that the axe can be used at close and mid range. Therefore, it’s a hybrid of both.

I just rewatched it and they mentioned them being in “close melee range” specifically, and nothing about mid range.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

There’s not enough information to say. It might be that the axe is essential, or it might be that the axe is on par with other weapons and trait line has damage modifiers.

If it’s the former case, then yes.
If it’s the latter case, then you’ll be fine to just keep using a greatsword or scepter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Do you have inside knowledge or just guessing?

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnchantixAqua.5327

EnchantixAqua.5327

The subtitles say otherwise.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Do you have inside knowledge or just guessing?

It’s Azukas, he operates under the ongoing assumption that literally every aspect of mesmer is broken op with only slight concessions to reality.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

He’s right.

This video has a different narrator then the live stream and says mid and close range.

in Mesmer

Roda.7468

Ah I didn’t see the site was updated and was going off the first video.

Either way, it still doesn’t show any sustained ranged gameplay, which says to me that it’s a mostly just another melee weapon. (which is fine. Not complaining that the new elite isn’t ranged, just more lamenting over the lack of effectiveness of scepter/GS/staff compared to sword + anything)

(edited by Roda.7468)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

And it looks like the illusions do not need to be shattered but to stay alive to attack. I’m excited.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Out of all the classes Mesmer has had the least amount of options for melee so another melee be it a weapon or ability was needed.

The axe as been stated prior can be used at mid range

However more importantly like with the last elite spec the weapon is only an option you never needed the shield to play a chrono and I’m sure you’ll never need a sword or an axe to play a mirage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wolfgang.5947

Wolfgang.5947

And it looks like the illusions do not need to be shattered but to stay alive to attack. I’m excited.

I’m just imagining dual swords with this spec. With the amount of blurs that this spec is focused on, im gonna have some hella fun

in Mesmer

Roda.7468

Ok u know what, I’m looking at the stream, and mirage is actually looking silly and may actually make staff of all things worthwhile. o.0

This has to get nerfed right??! 0.o

Cause that might actually be fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

On one hand it looks insanely powerful, on the other hand it looks like a total gimmick.

Not sure how well this “pretend to be a clone” will work in practice, but the clone ambush mechanics look insane for damage combined with shatters. Definitely going to see nerfs before release.

But on the other hand shatters are still there… it seems like a big mishmash. Fun but not quite sure what they were going for when comparing with other elite specs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkglow.3429

pinkglow.3429

Pretend to be the clone is what I always wanted in this spec, it was possible during beta weekends before game officially launched but died quite fast. If it is back I’m very happy

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I wonder how effective it will be in pvp though. The damage looks solid and might be the main selling point, but I imagine most good players won’t be fooled by the trickery once they’ve learnt the tells.

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkglow.3429

pinkglow.3429

Yea that is why it only worked back in the past during beta weekend, once game launched people learnt too fast in pvp to spot the real mesmer so shatter became the togo spec. Long time ago, but those beta weekends fooling players in pvp were the best days

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Ok u know what, I’m looking at the stream, and mirage is actually looking silly and may actually make staff of all things worthwhile. o.0

This has to get nerfed right??! 0.o

Cause that might actually be fun.

An excuse for me to make Nevermore is bound to be taken away from us.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I’m just praying Rune of the Mirage has 25% increased movement speed bonus as one of its effects along with others that makes it worthwhile. cause it’s gonna really suck to give up the run speed bonus.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Majority of mesmers weapons are ranged, unless you’re going Sword/x + Axe/x.

But your still probably screwed since our best dps has always been sword/x + sword/x

Lol.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Riesenschnauzer.6049

Riesenschnauzer.6049

I think you just described almost every class though.

Only 2 of the 9 classes got access to ranged weapons, and all the gameplay I’ve seen puts everyone , except the Deadye, at mid range to melee range.

in Mesmer

Roda.7468

Majority of mesmers weapons are ranged, unless you’re going Sword/x + Axe/x.

But your still probably screwed since our best dps has always been sword/x + sword/x

Lol.

Yeah this isn’t really about the lack of ranged weapons, but more about the lack of viability with the ranged weapons as compared to the melee one, which all current guides and builds point to as being mandatory mainhand.