Interrupts... Share your thoughts!

in Mesmer

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Now I’ve been playing Mesmer excessively the last week after I saw a buff to interrupt traits. Now that I figured out interrupts are too unreliable, and too inconsistent as I didn’t manage to pull them off consistently for PvE to be at all viable (not to mention some mobs are immune to it), I figured i’d jump on PvP. But first I’d simply like to start a discussion thread!

So have anyone tried interrupt focused builds in PvP after the new patch? Or just interrupt builds in general PvP or not? In any case, share your thoughts!

in Mesmer

Posted by: MartyPartys.9187

MartyPartys.9187

I have tried it after patch in sPvP and WvW. Imo it’s a really hard build to play as you have to chain your interrupts and have to know all the animation’s of the opponent.

But if you pull it off it can be really strong, keeping someone in place the entire time while putting conditions on someone is nice.

I noticed that the damage output in sPvP is lower than in WvW for some reason, it feels a bit too low in sPvP compared to how difficult it is to play.

This is all for 1 v 1 or 1 v n.

For group play in WvW: It’s kitten.

Clones die too fast, impossible to see animations in big fights as it’s too chaotic. The interrupts become too unreliable and will almost affect nobody.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I use a 20/20/30/0/0 spec for PvE, interrupt focused with BI and CI, but not using HS.

It works amazingly well, I can use Sword #4 or GS #5 to quickly cause multiple interrupts, supplement them with MoD or F3, and then share the boons out to the party.

I have tried it in WvW, but I didn’t like it compared to a same-layout slightly stealth focused build (hence the specific trait-spec, it works well as either setup!).

Cannot comment on sPvP, never playing that.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

TwiceDead.1963

Tried sPvP right now focusing heavily on interrupts.

Borderline first impression is: It is really, really, really underwhelming… To be blunt. Can’t really put my thumb on it, but even while I did manage to pull off a few interrupts, most of the fight I was making do without it. Mostly because it was very difficult to pull off.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Spvp I tried 20/20/30, 20/30/20, 30/20/20. Now I may be building wrong. Going in with full zerkers and complimentary runes.

Now 20/20/30 I find the immobilize is good but… It’s so easy to get away from and feels like a ruined amount of set up. Out put is ok but feels like a minor set back to your foes and it hard to just finish fights.

20/30/20 feels pretty good against baddies, I need practice with this ofc but I find it really hard to really take full advantage of the quickness vs decent players mostly since you still take a rather large hit to your consistent burst from shatter. I also find quickness is a good tool to break people, But I don’t know how comfortable I am relying on an internal c/d while managing your own, as well as needing it to be in the proper position/situation to interupt.

30/20/20 I actually had the best results with the chance to stun on Dazes makes up for the lack of quickness and the lack of immobilize (better with staff and mantra of destraction) it’s fun and out playing people 1v1 feels fulfilling with this.,,

But at the end of the day I went back to shatter and had more fun~

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in Mesmer

TwiceDead.1963

Now 20/20/30 I find the immobilize is good but… It’s so easy to get away from and feels like a ruined amount of set up. Out put is ok but feels like a minor set back to your foes and it hard to just finish fights.

This is what I ran in sPvP, going for the immobilize.
I figured out the best use I could have with this; is if I ran with other people, interrupting/immobilizing their targets, making it easier for them to finish fights.

While I was fighting 1v1 on my own, I had mixed results. Against another mesmer, just forget about it was my take. They would just keep popping clones, and shatter your face to pieces without taking a scratch. Then again I found out that if I kept interrupting the mesmers phantasm summons, the fight became a bit more manageable when I got up to 15-20 stacks of might… However Decoy kind of made that an impossible feat. Against thieves? I kept interrupting at the wrong times, as those thieves just kept dodging around.

I got really aggravated when Magic Bullet just didn’t want to work properly whenever I tried to use it, which along with Illusionary Wave was supposed to be my main interrupt skills.

Against Warriors, it was pretty even. Warriors attacks are often very easy to interrupt, especially if they are using greatswords, so I managed to fight off warriors most of the time. Same thing for Guardians, even fights mostly. Probably because they were big with predictable swings.

I fought a Ranger too, but he was really bad so he doesn’t count.

As for Elementalists?
Holy kitten I kept getting owned.

This was the build I ran with if anyone is curious:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAR8alwzyoXUzmGb9IhpHE33CnkCTn6SK49tB-TsAA2CnICSFkLITQygsBNEZRw+DA

I think my mistake was that I literally had no other way to get boons other than using interrupts, and using greatswords #2 skill, so I was basically relying on having might for the duration of a fight… You’d be surprised how quickly you lose those 10+ stacks of Might a sudden.

(edited by TwiceDead.1963)