Is Mesmer viable for a WvWvW commander?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gennix.1952

Gennix.1952

I have been doing wvw on a mesmer for a long time and am going to be buying a commander tag for it. I have been thinking if mesmer is a good class to be a commander. I have the most fun with it but I have an 80 of every class (except warrior). Basically I’m just wondering if a mesmer is a good choice or if I should use a more tanky class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: slsharpshooter.5631

slsharpshooter.5631

You just need to have insane survivability, mesmer having lowest armor stat along with engineer isn’t the best choice. Mesmers also lack aoe but I guess you can be quite supportive with portals.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

You just need to have insane survivability, mesmer having lowest armor stat along with engineer isn’t the best choice. Mesmers also lack aoe but I guess you can be quite supportive with portals.

wat

At any rate yeah, mes can command pretty well. Take a look at my zergmower build, that works quite well for commanding.

in Mesmer

slsharpshooter.5631

wat

At any rate yeah, mes can command pretty well. Take a look at my zergmower build, that works quite well for commanding.

Compared to warriors and guardians, mesmers won’t survive as well as them by far.
Warriors:
AoE attacks
Endure Pain/Berserker Stance
Heal Signet
High Armor/Health
Cleansing Ire
High Stability Uptime
Blocks
Guardians:
AoE attacks
AoE Heal
AoE condi clear
High Armor
Blocks
AoE Boon Support
Mesmer:
Stealth
Portal

in Mesmer

Gennix.1952

wat

Compared to warriors and guardians, mesmers won’t survive as well as them by far.
Warriors:
AoE attacks
Heal Signet
High Armor/Health
Cleansing Ire
High Stability Uptime
Blocks
Guardians:
AoE attacks
AoE Heal
AoE condi clear
High Armor
Blocks
AoE Boon Support
Mesmer:
Stealth
Portal

I realize I wont be able to have as much survivability as them, but I still want to be playing a mesmer that does not get immediately killed

in Mesmer

Gennix.1952

wat

Thanks for the build!

in Mesmer

slsharpshooter.5631

I realize I wont be able to have as much survivability as them, but I still want to be playing a mesmer that does not get immediately killed

Oh ofcourse you won’t die immediately just use power vitality and toughness, sentinel’s pve I believe. Also prismatic understanding trait with a stealth based mesmer will definitely have your sustain as high as mesmer can get.

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

wat

Warriors:
AoE attacks
Heal Signet
High Armor/Health
Cleansing Ire
High Stability Uptime
Blocks
Guardians:
AoE attacks
AoE Heal
AoE condi clear
High Armor
Blocks
AoE Boon Support
Mesmer:
Stealth
Portal

Or you use my build, get high stab uptime, higher uptime on blocks than any other class, stunbreakers…and that’s it.

You’re commanding, you don’t need to be a bundle of utility, you just have to survive and truck around on the battlefield.

in Mesmer

slsharpshooter.5631

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgAQNAW8flknpRtlpxYNcrNiY6RwhcAHJFl2rVSxsdhA-zECBocCy03Q0HBOnrIaslRFRjVpjIqWvAzjrIa1AA-w
Spam stealth when you’re in trouble.
Replace rune of dwayna with earth if you are more comfortable on depending on protection.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgAQNAW8flknpRtlpxYNcrNiY6RwhcAHJFl2rVSxsdhA-zECBocCy03Q0HBOnrIaslRFRjVpjIqWvAzjrIa1AA-w
Spam stealth when you’re in trouble.
Replace rune of dwayna with earth if you are more comfortable on depending on protection.

Do you realize that a commander is meant to be followed by other people? Why that much stealth?…

Also, being a commander doesn’t mean you have to be useless. Warrior/Guard commander still heal, clean conditions, do some CC and DPS, buff others…

About OP, you can commander with a mesmer, just you won’t take the best class for it. First, there’s what slsharpshooter said. And then, to be able to stay alive all the time, you’ll need to take full defensive stats, plus taking skills and traits to survive. And that will make you just a npc to be followed by others. But if that is what makes you happy…

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

I made a thread about what could be an awesome commander once the new traits come. Gear yourself with full PTV and have a glassier hammer train around you

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Neftex.7594

Neftex.7594

If you take commanding seriously, take guardian or warrior.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Yea, Mesmer can definitely command. Zergmower’s an option, PVT’s an option. Don’t sweat stealth, tbh … you’re there to be seen.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

I sometimes tag up as a mesmer but only for ninja type stuff… in open battles it becomes difficult for people to follow you. It is not impossible but it is a lot more difficult than other classes.

The new changes should produce distortion type builds that should make commanding as a mesmer a lot more viable. At the moment, I act more as an emergency commander should the main commander get downed or dc.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mesmers have the lowest armour stat (no we don’t) and we have an Engineer?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-WvW-Blurred-Mes-War-Mes/3435436

that 10 30 0 0 30 with max pvt can be good for commanding.. as u can be mobile and can intiate and jump on their melee train and can organize your group with regroups with your skill recharge require. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgEQNAsfWnsISZa2pGeoBDbGRQ9o7AvvjUBXr0Db7C3NA-zEyAoLBRiREJII0HgsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqJFATCjA-w

or http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgEQNAsfWl0npMtdqxKN8rNiYSBxFcnUAdOXpH32FGbA-zEyAoLBRiREpGI0HgsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqJFAT6qA-w this can make some comfortable movement or u can make it 0 20 30 20 0 maybe with boon duration http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgEQNAsfWl0npMtloxKNUrNSY6RwJOwPpA6OvkibHbA-z0CBoLCiUDIZPCiJRKrlhht6KRlXBTvATXCV9aIyOFZlUAmorC-w and can swap blink to signet of inspiration as a full support :P
————————————————————————————
edit: Mirror Images to Signet of Midnight will be better benefit and heal signet still optimal or ether feast depends on effective heals come from around (as commander Signet prefer 1sec invul as a initiatior jump on their melee and tank your group is better benefit, elite still optimal prefer if human reapers of Grenth or TW) and this build required partying as usual with boon supporters (stab and protec excatly)

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

(edited by Azo.5860)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

You’ll be a ghetto commander, but it’s possible in most situations. In big 50vs50vs50+ situations though you might end up kitteng your server over by dying too fast causing your zerg to scatter. If you are on a serious or big server I’d definitely go with Warrior or Guardian, even Necromancer works much better.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

Pyroatheist’s build is really nice, I haven’t tried it out but my friend did and he says he loves it!

Pineapples rule

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flow.2947

Flow.2947

I have my Mesmer also with a tag.
I was commanding in guild-groups (10-20 player) and it went pretty well.

I played different builds most very tanky I ended up with healing on shatter and shattering yourself (about 900 healing without illusion) and i used signets. so 10; 0; 0; 30; 30

Basically you have good support/ survivability because you can give your players around the booms back. E.g. when you have 2 mesmers 1guard and you can have a “perema” booms most of the time more then 1 min protection, reletation …

When you have a good group you can make you combinations easier like S/T leap and blast with water fire freezing ….

The only thing is when you commanding is hard to follow you when you use staff2 blink ….
hope i could help you

:)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ptolemy.5086

Ptolemy.5086

War or Guard if you really intend to take your zerg into fights. Do you understand how it works? You as commander is the target for all friendly AOE.That is how used to tell it one smart person. Put a target on commander and hit him like he owns you money and refuse to repay. You are not standing on the side and DPS with GS but actually go in the middle of enemy hammer train.

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

War or Guard if you really intend to take your zerg into fights. Do you understand how it works? You as commander is the target for all friendly AOE.That is how used to tell it one smart person. Put a target on commander and hit him like he owns you money and refuse to repay. You are not standing on the side and DPS with GS but actually go in the middle of enemy hammer train.

Yep, and that’s why you need to use a build that can survive that. It’s not impossible to do, warriors and guardians don’t have a monopoly on zerg survivability, you just have to be careful about it. Used properly, this build will get you through the hammer train alive and healthy.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Build-The-Zergmower/first

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

anyone ve ever tried something as this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgEQNAsfWnsISZaWhGeoB/aGRQ9o7AvvjUBXr0De7C3NA-zEyAoLBRiREJII0HgsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqJFATCjA-w as a commander i think its very fit for zerg commanding (atleast with some ability with pugs groups that can answer your commands as push regroup etc..) can ability to push in front of your melee train, and can tank as well ? and comfortable with movements to organize your group movements.

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

anyone ve ever tried something as this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vgEQNAsfWnsISZaWhGeoB/aGRQ9o7AvvjUBXr0De7C3NA-zEyAoLBRiREJII0HgsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqJFATCjA-w as a commander i think its very fit for zerg commanding (atleast with some ability with pugs groups that can answer your commands as push regroup etc..) can ability to push in front of your melee train, and can tank as well ? and comfortable with movements to organize your group movements.

The idea behind that build makes sense. I think that particular build isn’t very well optimized for the purpose, but the general concept is sound.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansilon.6230

Ansilon.6230

I have a tag for both a Mesmer and a Guardian. I can honestly say that commanding
either is a completely different experience. In all honest, it’s much easier to command with my Guardian as I can easily lead the frontline, and can actively push into an incoming zerg without much regard to the damage. On Mesmer however I find myself manipulating around the front line via “Blink” and bringing the light and medium “back line” a bit further up than usual.

Also, by referring to the whole “frontline” “backline” concept, when actively taking and assuming the role of Commander, your puglings (be it consciously or sub-consciously) will look to see how far you are pushing into on-coming enemies, and wether or not you fall back from that initial push. On Mesmer, I always find myself having to step aside to avoid initial bursts and, overall, I find my zerg to not be as pushy and “eager” to get in there as they would seeing a Commander tag in the middle of a sea of red via a Guaridan.

It really depends on your play style and successfully being able to achieve the duties of a commander on a Mesmer can be truly rewarding!

Imperial Outlaws [IO] ; Salad
Ansií(e) , Mesmer | Guardian | Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Seen some good mesmer commanders, yes the survivability is a lot lower but unless you find heavy class fun to play, don’t get commander tag for it.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

If you take commanding seriously, take guardian or warrior.

This.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: jefferson.8317

jefferson.8317

No. You need to lead your people into the fight. Mesmers have no business being at melee range 100% of the time. Guardians are #1. Warriors are a distant 2nd.

Jasx

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Mesmers have no business being at melee range 100% of the time.

Sorry, but this is not true. In fact, mesmers bring more in melee, and with new Dueling GM trait in 15h April, going melee will be even better.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

I would say it really depends on what you plan to do with your tag.

In a large battle, playing an aggressive role I would say no, do not use a mesmer. In this scenario, the commander usually has to push through the enemy zerg’s frontline (or flank, but don’t count on it) in order to tear through their backline and scatter them.
The #1 priority here is that the commander is alive, moving and clearly visible. A warrior or guardian will simply live longer in these situations, because their defenses are based more on outlasting the enemy, while mesmers’ defenses are more evasive in nature.
I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I am convinced a warrior or guardian would have a higher success rate.

However, I think a mesmer commander could be great for guerilla style tactics, moving a smaller group around for attrition, killing dolyaks and flipping camps and towers. I also see a potential advantage in the commander being in direct control of game-changing skills like portal, veil and TW.
The question is whether there is any point in having a commander tag for this kind of play style.

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

hmm depends which tier u are in. if u are on a server that faces big organized zergs like in tier1-2 and tier 2.5, then its gonna be tough to command on your mesmer as u would have to kite around the zergs with the casters. im in t2 and i usually stick around with the casters.
in those tiers id recommend war/guard commanders as most of the enemies u are facing are heavy trains with glass eles. 1 meteornado shower and boom u are dead.
in lower tiers it is very well possible to command with mesmers. but in general, mesmers dont really have anything other to contribute apart from portal veil and maybe some backline ganking in wvw raids atm. but lets see what the new patch brings and it might be possible to see mesmer commanders again like during glamour times.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Ansilon.6230

Mesmers have no business being at melee range 100% of the time.

People don’t realize that generaly 100% mele for a Mesmer is Sword/Sword + Greatsword.

And greatsword is, in-fact ranged. As well as our most powerful and zerg-oriented weapon sets.

in Mesmer

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

Guardians make the best commanders and warriors are ok. Everything else is a poor second. Mesmers are worse than poor if they are stealthing or blinking around.

I cannot get my Mesmer though a choke in T1 that all the heavys roll through np. All she is good for is capping BL.

The worst commanders I have seen are all mesmers and thieves.

in Mesmer

Ansilon.6230

That’s pretty much saying the experience and talent of a commander is in the class he or she picks and not in an evolved tactical set of skills.

The best pugmander I know actually commands on theif. And I’d like to believe I’m a pretty decent commander at times (which is when I’m usually on my mesmer).

I absouloutly don’t think it’s fair to base a commander’s skill on their class. So, I’m going to discredit this.
As for the blinking and jumping around, it’s survivability. Where we lack in toughness we make up in manipulation. I’ll say this. It’s a lot more fun commanding on Mesmer and not playing EZMode all the time.

in Mesmer

Posted by: CollectiveEffort.6037

CollectiveEffort.6037

That’s pretty much saying the experience and talent of a commander is in the class he or she picks and not in an evolved tactical set of skills.

The best pugmander I know actually commands on theif. And I’d like to believe I’m a pretty decent commander at times (which is when I’m usually on my mesmer).

I absouloutly don’t think it’s fair to base a commander’s skill on their class. So, I’m going to discredit this.
As for the blinking and jumping around, it’s survivability. Where we lack in toughness we make up in manipulation. I’ll say this. It’s a lot more fun commanding on Mesmer and not playing EZMode all the time.

You can lie all you want but we all know I’m the best pugmander you know! But I completely agree with you, the talent and more importantly the experience (imho) matter most. -Blurple
#riseuseless

Mr Blurple Nurple – [Worm] Necrosis Arcanum – Gates of Madness

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Compared to most other classes, Mesmer’s make terrible zerg commanders.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |