Is PU viable in pvp

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sweeps.3059

Sweeps.3059

Just as the topic says it PU viable in PVP?
Most players like to play Sutter because its “the meta” but I like trying different builds.
I have recently been playing a build that combines scepter/torch and sword/pistol and was having success with it but I miss the staff love that on a nesmer :p

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Yes, it’s viable unless you want to compete in the WTS.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

imo not any more
viable i mean effective.

you can say alive longer do low dmg with conditions almost no contest due to stealth abuse but ppl wont be able to kill you fast

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

For more specifics on how to actually use PU builds in an intelligent manner instead of just randomly spamming stealth, see: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-A-Mesmer-Guide-to-Solo-Queue/first#post4060868

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calliope.8675

Calliope.8675

There are variants to PU. The traditional build is what most people tend to think of when you say “PU,” though the power variant isn’t half bad. Despite the poorly written negative statement from messiah, it’s not as bad at they make it out either.

Yes, you do stay alive longer. The point of mesmer is to harass other classes and tie up other players by making them divert energy to focusing us. A very good PU mesmer can hold a 3v1 well (I watched Pyro do this).

Yes, you do lower damage, but that does not mean your condi damage is low. If you’re doing low (condi) damage (even with the power build) then there is something terribly wrong with what you’re doing. Even my shatter mesmer can crank out some decent bleed damage if the clones stay up long enough.

Conditions are the mainstay of this build. I would say 90-95% of your damage will come from conditions, especially torment. And if the person you’re fighting doesn’t have enough condi cure or is just stupid, they can kill themselves pretty quickly on your conditions.

Also contrary to messiah’s poorly written statements, you do not want to abuse your stealth. We are not a thief. We cannot simply re-stealth ourselves after revealed wears off. We have four stealths we can put on our skill bars plus an additional one we can trait for (which I do when I run PU). All of these stealths have cool-downs, and, therefore, shouldn’t be spammed the way a thief can some of theirs.

And I’ve been killed pretty quick on my PU in the past. I’ve been caught by Pistolwhip thieves when my stun breaks are on CD and can’t get away. I’ve been mobbed by the entire enemy team, unable to disengage. Smart players will learn to pick you out from your clones, mark you, and have the team focus you – relentlessly.

You can be a lazy PU or you can be a proactive PU. The latter is far more viable (ergo, effective) than a lazy scrub relying on the AI.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sweeps.3059

Sweeps.3059

Thanks alot for the reply’s. I firmly be-leave that the mesmer forums are the most helpful out of any.
Any chance you can give me a link to a build or should i just go with the one on meta builds and tweek it to how I like?

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Thanks alot for the reply’s. I firmly be-leave that the mesmer forums are the most helpful out of any.
Any chance you can give me a link to a build or should i just go with the one on meta builds and tweek it to how I like?

Third post in the link Fay offered. It contained builds….

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Viable but not as good as before. Thx Anet.. thumbs up.. !!

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

While I think there’s definitely a case for viability with PU, I really don’t like the playstyle at all and would recommend other condition specs to try out. I think compared to other similar condi specs, PU is much slower in terms of total dmg output. I haven’t done extensive testing, so I’d chalk it up to personal preference for me.

That being said, you can also go power PU which is interesting. However, the same issue arises here where in other power-focused phantsams builds are much faster with overall dps and control. Overall, your rate of dps in a PU build is mainly determined by whether you go with torch or not. If I’m going condi, I’d take torch, but if I’m going dps, I’d probably go pistol or sword.

One thing is for sure: PU gives whatever build you’re playing the utmost amount of survivability you can have on Mesmer. This is obviously its highlight. Goodluck with your exploring and come back and let us know if you have any luck with PU variants!

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

MailMail.6534

Just had some fun doing a quick theory craft session. There’s probably better places to look for PU builds besides myself, but here’s what I came up with on the fly:

Power PU http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAscRlknpMtNqxGNcrRiqhY6XpahyupJVgSVC-TJhFwAAOFAMeCAj2fYaZAA

Condition PU http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWlknpRtFqxBNcrNiuxY6H6oBUuzPlMgdB-TJRHwAJLDA4UAI4JAEa/BA

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Just had some fun doing a quick theory craft session. There’s probably better places to look for PU builds besides myself, but here’s what I came up with on the fly:

Power PU http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNAscRlknpMtNqxGNcrRiqhY6XpahyupJVgSVC-TJhFwAAOFAMeCAj2fYaZAA

Condition PU http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWlknpRtFqxBNcrNiuxY6H6oBUuzPlMgdB-TJRHwAJLDA4UAI4JAEa/BA

Go ahead and take a look at the link I have in my solo queue guide for condition PU. A couple things:

• Signet of Domination is a really bad choice. The 180 condition damage isn’t worth it, considering how incredibly strong the utility you’re giving up for it is (blink). Additionally, you don’t actually want to stun the people you fight. Stun means no movement, no skill uses, and so no damage from your conditions.
  • Retaliatory shield is obviously a bad trait, but it looks like you picked it due to lack of a better option. Taking blink instead of the signet gives a pretty clear choice of far range manipulations in that slot.
  • Runes of the krait are definitely solid. I personally prefer undead for the higher defense and condition damage. I just feel that the 6 bonus on krait isn’t particularly effective combined with MI. Nightmare runes are also definitely a solid option.
  • The choice between 4 in dom or 4 in illusions is a personal one. I personally prefer domination. Traiting the torch gives you more condition removal and higher access to stealth. Additionally, the control over a fight that crippling dissipation gives you is quite significant. That being said, the higher condition damage from illusions + IE is significant as well.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

messiah.1908

sry if i sound too harsh
but pu trait works on stealth thus if you aint using much stealth you just spend points where not needed and could get like mtd trait instead
if you dmg isnt coming mainly from clones death or staff clones then play mtd shatter instead or power shatter
or even play power pu 4,4,6,0,0 which is more fun and active

and yes contrary to callipoe with 4 stealth skills you can manage to rotate them which will give you enough time being stealth almost like a thief (no d/p ones) while your clones do all the work for you. but if you manage to stay out of the shadow long enough pu wont buff you much.
and one more thing learn to act like a clone with pu so your enemy have hard time to notice you. dont move much , move in strait line, use AA etc

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

messiah.1908

here is my version bit more aggressive (why carrion? just for the fun of it. with rabid take krait, nightmare, scavenging or undead)
if you wanna be unique take Balthazar with mantra or recovery and learn to use the burning from healing to your advantage.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fhAQNArfWnsISjaWsGmpB3aGp0YMdOHdDJDoiSOS5A-TZRAABAcEACc/hOeAAkVGgjTBAA
with mad king runes you will have raven also to your aid.
you direct dmg will be higher , your bleed stacks can be above 20 after the enemy used all his cleanse.
you must master positioning with PR and blink, stealth use and clones spread out

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

sry if i sound too harsh
but pu trait works on stealth thus if you aint using much stealth you just spend points where not needed and could get like mtd trait instead
if you dmg isnt coming mainly from clones death or staff clones then play mtd shatter instead or power shatter

and yes contrary to callipoe with 4 stealth skills you can manage to rotate them which will give you enough time being stealth almost like a thief (no d/p ones) while your clones do all the work for you. but if you manage to stay out of the shadow long enough pu wont buff you much.
and one more thing learn to act like a clone with pu so your enemy have hard time to notice you. dont move much , move in strait line, use AA etc

You should read the guide I linked. As I said, if you use it intelligently, you’re not just sitting around playing hide and seek. I’d explain it here…but I’ve already typed out an extensive guide.

I’ll give you a quick hint though: MtD will lose rapidly in anything worse than a 1v1. PU can maintain a 1v3.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

I’ll give you a quick hint though: MtD will lose rapidly in anything worse than a 1v1. PU can maintain a 1v3.

But what is the virtue of being able to survive a theoretical 1v3 as PU?

-You obviously won’t be able to hold or take a point.

-You aren’t going to be able to kill any of them.

-In theory, you are taking 3 of them from somewhere else. But 1) they are getting points wherever you are; and more importantly 2) if 3 enemies actually waste time trying to kill you by yourself, then it might be the case that you could win 1v2/3 as MTD vs their skill level.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

-In theory, you are taking 3 of them from somewhere else. But 1) they are getting points wherever you are; and more importantly 2) if 3 enemies actually waste time trying to kill you by yourself, then it might be the case that you could win 1v2/3 as MTD vs their skill level.

The point is that you’re fighting a 1v3. This means that the rest of your team is fighting 4v2. Yes, they’ll have the point you’re fighting around. No, you’re not going to kill them. However, the remaining 4 members of your team (assuming at least minimal competence) will be able to easily secure and maintain a 2 cap. Just a quick note…a 2 cap will win you the game pretty quickly. Best part is that after they secure that, they could even come and help you at the 1v3, and potentially turn that into a 3 cap.

The likelihood of actually being able to kill people in a 1v2 or 1v3 as MtD is incredibly small, even against poor players. With more players, you have more condition removal, more targets that you need to share damage against. It’s just not feasible unless the players are so bad that you’d be able to steamroll them with PU conditions anyway. The key about maintaining that 1v3 as PU is that you’re not trying to kill them. You’re simply playing an extended game of hide and seek; dancing around and near the point, hopping in and out of stealth, blinking back and forth. If you directly engage 3 people, you die. If you play hard-to-get…you can live if you’re good enough.

Regardless, the strategy isn’t something that I’m just postulating, it works quite fine. I used it for quite a while when I PvPed, and enjoyed very significant success with it.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

messiah.1908

sry if i sound too harsh

You should read the guide I linked. As I said, if you use it intelligently, you’re not just sitting around playing hide and seek. I’d explain it here…but I’ve already typed out an extensive guide.

i read it

pu can maintain 1v3 sometimes against low dmg target (power shatter+thieves will kill any pu fast) but do nothing meanwhile. wont be able to contest or do dmg. so he needs his team to comeback fast to help him as if he lose then its 5v4 on mid
mtd wont even try 1v3 in teamq . hardly any profession if not bunker and than again will need his team help. sure i sometime can take 1v2 bunker guard and shout warrior.

the main difference between mtd and pu is the pu will do burning , 5 torment if blocked, 3-5 bleed while mtd will do 10 confusion 10-15 torment and 3-5 bleed and burn
thus mtd must can kill faster his target while pu can take his time due to more stealth and protection and aegis.

(edited by messiah.1908)

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

MailMail.6534

I just think that PU suffers from the single biggest weakness that all condition Mesmer builds suffer from: slow dps over time. However, I think PU does worse than both signets and MtD in this regard. The only way I can see it out-dpsing Signets is if you take pistol instead of torch. Because of the very slow ramp up of dmg when taking torch, it makes it easy to outmaneuver strategically when facing semi competent teams.

eta – both signets and PU can have issues holding a point, but at least with signets, you can potentially end the fight in your favor quicker. Mtd is another story, which struggles 1vX.

I’ll have to read your guide, but I’m a bit discouraged since I don’t really have much interest in the play style in and of itself. My opinion might be effected by bias, though I like to think I’m objective when discussing my opinions on builds…

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

The point is that you’re fighting a 1v3. This means that the rest of your team is fighting 4v2. Yes, they’ll have the point you’re fighting around. No, you’re not going to kill them. However, the remaining 4 members of your team (assuming at least minimal competence) will be able to easily secure and maintain a 2 cap. Just a quick note…a 2 cap will win you the game pretty quickly. Best part is that after they secure that, they could even come and help you at the 1v3, and potentially turn that into a 3 cap.

The likelihood of actually being able to kill people in a 1v2 or 1v3 as MtD is incredibly small, even against poor players. With more players, you have more condition removal, more targets that you need to share damage against. It’s just not feasible unless the players are so bad that you’d be able to steamroll them with PU conditions anyway. The key about maintaining that 1v3 as PU is that you’re not trying to kill them. You’re simply playing an extended game of hide and seek; dancing around and near the point, hopping in and out of stealth, blinking back and forth. If you directly engage 3 people, you die. If you play hard-to-get…you can live if you’re good enough.

Regardless, the strategy isn’t something that I’m just postulating, it works quite fine. I used it for quite a while when I PvPed, and enjoyed very significant success with it.

Per the “rest of your team is 4v2” argument, I addressed that in the final part of my post. I.e., if the other team is spending time trying to 3v1 you, nobody’s spec on either side in that match really matters as your team was going to win regardless.

As an aside, I can win 1v2 as signet & signet MTD vs several different class combos (primarily if one of them isn’t an ele and both enemies aren’t glass).

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

messiah.1908

if you are doing 1v3 then the enemy team is bad. if they notice you arepu then they will leave it with 1 d/p thief or dd ele or shout warrior while you poping in an out of stealth accomplish nothing. or they can 1v2 you with immobilize and fast burst from panic strike and you’re done. leaving you team with 4v5 for 10 sec

any build of the mesmer isnt for 1vX
power is get in and out with burst or control with GS
mtd get in and out and spread conditions and pressure key targets
lockdown target key targets and control them.
1v1 sure all of them can do it while power shatter will have the hardest time versus several classes and probably will be needed else where for 3v2 with fast huge burst
same as the mtd and lockdown but maybe can hold better 1 point

pu left out with low condi pressure and high survive abilities

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Per the “rest of your team is 4v2” argument, I addressed that in the final part of my post. I.e., if the other team is spending time trying to 3v1 you, nobody’s spec on either side in that match really matters as your team was going to win regardless.

Sure, but it still counts 1v2.

As an aside, I can win 1v2

Go on…

(primarily if one of them isn’t an ele and both enemies aren’t glass).

Ah. See….that rarely happens. The vast majority of the time you’re gonna fighting something + a celery build. PU can easily maintain a 1v2 (and win if they’re not careful). MtD cannot.

if they notice you arepu then they will leave it with 1 d/p thief or dd ele or shout warrior

If you lose 1v1 to a d/p thief, d/d ele, or shout warrior on PU…you’re doing something immensely wrong. A shout warrior is actually a pain to kill, but the other two will die rapidly if they try to fight you on point. The nice thing about point control matches is that if they want to be on point, they have to be in range of the clone-deaths, and that means a lot of condie load.

while you poping in an out of stealth accomplish nothing

Your repeated adherence to this argument just says that you have no idea how to play that build effectively. Alanis at least makes logical sense. If you’re forced to pop in and out of stealth, you’re in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation…and then your control over the point doesn’t matter. If you’re popping in and out of stealth in a 1v1…you’re just not good enough.

or they can 1v2 you with immobilize and fast burst from panic strike and you’re done. leaving you team with 4v5 for 10 sec

Yeah, uh. If you get killed in a panic strike burst as a PU condie mesmer…you’re not good. You have more than enough condition removal, stunbreaks, and mobility to avoid any sort of gimmicky instagib like that.

You’re obviously wrong here, PU condie is for 1vX.

@Alanis: The main key is reliably being able to do what you set out to do, namely either take a point or force them to devote multiple people to it. If that has a conditional of no eles/glass builds…you can’t do it reliably. MtD can’t do it reliably while PU condie can, and that’s the difference. You can certainly play MtD effectively in a slightly different role, but it doesn’t perform this role as reliably.

@messiah: Literally every argument you’ve made is a function of one of two things. You either have no idea how to leverage the build effectively, or you’re simply bad at the build. Pick one, mix and match, either way your arguments aren’t valid.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

I have played PU Condie extensively and primarily for many months even before it had it’s FoTM status, and until shortly after. Grew tired of it and have moved on to many other builds since then, but lately I’ve come back to PU Zerker build with GS + Sw/To and having a blast with it.

Just to throw that in the mix as a much more active way to play PU. It’s also a bit more team-oriented build then PU-Condie (IMO) in that you’re able to deliver strong AE bursts with both your GS skills, and the occasional MW+BF. I mix them up and am able to put out really solid damage, but thanks to PU/Stealth, and the Chaos line in general, I have a ton more survivability then Zerker builds usually do.

I went with the standard 4/4/6/0/0, buffing up Phantasm damage and Torch in Domination. (And Master of Manips in Dom since I have both Blink and AT.)

I chose AT as a utility due to the stealth boosts that no longer require you to be facing your target to pop it, and am satisfied with it for the first time ever. I really like it’s flexibility as either a boon-strip or a Condie-clear, which makes a nice combination with the traited Torch. This gives enough Condie clear when you really need it, but in most fights I simply don’t need much Condie Clears and it’s great fun to be able to steal boons off the “Cele meta” folks. Sure, with MoRes you can cure Condies better, but in the frequent case where you’re not facing a lot of Conditions it’s kinda a wasted utility slot.

It’s also a good spec to try if you’re frustrated with P-Shatters squishieness. It really is a lot tankier! In this build I can still 1v1 most anything and win a lot more then I lose, including vs. Thieves, but the really good Thieves either have to get lucky or you can at most hold them off for a bit and then escape or die.

Most of all though, you’re still able to do a good job as a DPSer in your team, especially adding on fights to quickly down tanky opponents, or dealing harshly with enemy squishies like Thieves/Mesmers. In fact, you’re a great Mesmer killer in this build. ;-)

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: MandJ.8965

MandJ.8965

Sry Fay, that is too general. Using PU Power, good D/P (even the bad ones) will wreck you. They just stay in stealth And you can’t do anything. Celestial Eles will have a hard time to kill you, but on the long way, you loose. Sure, on Condi PU it’s maybe different, but how I said, saying PU will wreck this is just too general and wrong.

Edit: Overread your last sentence, you were talking about PU condi. Sryyyyy

Momekas
Momekas Namu

(edited by MandJ.8965)

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

There isn’t much you can do against good D/P thieves perma-stealthing off your illusions. Any Mesmer spec has enough illusions to grant them that possibility, but to say that you can’t even beat bad ones is just plain silly.

With PU Power you can take on most equally skilled Thieves and have a fair shot at winning, which is more then you can say for most other Zerker Mesmer builds. The bad ones are actually quite easy to kill, and that’s at least half of the Thieves I run into. The other half gives me a good run for sure, and it’s definitely an uphill battle to win, but you certainly can beat them or make a getaway if you realize that you can’t.

This build has a lot of stealth uptime, and that alone lets you drag fights out to the point where most Thieves are simply not comfortable engaging you in 1v1.

This has been my experience in PUG unranked arena at least.

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

MandJ.8965

Man, I don’t talk about Bad Players like someone who plays the first time Thief….
even bad thieves now they can just perma inivs and you can nothing do against them wenn they have a good amount of toughness, vitality and enough points in shadow arts. Power Phantasm is my main Build, sometime I play it with PU, depends on how much ganker squads are on in WvW, sometimes not.
A thief comes across you, just perma stealth and backstabs you, perma stealth, backstabs you. Even a bad thief should be able to do so… You want to summon an illusion? Oh pistol #4 doesn’t want it.

You should fight against better thieves if you think you can make a ‘getaway’

(not talking about PU Condi!)

Momekas
Momekas Namu

(edited by MandJ.8965)

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

messiah.1908

Go on…

Ah. See….that rarely happens. The vast majority of the time you’re gonna fighting something + a celery build. PU can easily maintain a 1v2 (and win if they’re not careful). MtD cannot.

if they notice you arepu then they will leave it with 1 d/p thief or dd ele or shout warrior

If you lose 1v1 to a d/p thief, d/d ele, or shout warrior on PU…you’re doing something immensely wrong. A shout warrior is actually a pain to kill, but the other two will die rapidly if they try to fight you on point. The nice thing about point control matches is that if they want to be on point, they have to be in range of the clone-deaths, and that means a lot of condie load.

Your repeated adherence to this argument just says that you have no idea how to play that build effectively. Alanis at least makes logical sense. If you’re forced to pop in and out of stealth, you’re in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation…and then your control over the point doesn’t matter. If you’re popping in and out of stealth in a 1v1…you’re just not good enough.

or they can 1v2 you with immobilize and fast burst from panic strike and you’re done. leaving you team with 4v5 for 10 sec

Yeah, uh. If you get killed in a panic strike burst as a PU condie mesmer…you’re not good. You have more than enough condition removal, stunbreaks, and mobility to avoid any sort of gimmicky instagib like that.

@Alanis: The main key is reliably being able to do what you set out to do, namely either take a point or force them to devote multiple people to it. If that has a conditional of no eles/glass builds…you can’t do it reliably. MtD can’t do it reliably while PU condie can, and that’s the difference. You can certainly play MtD effectively in a slightly different role, but it doesn’t perform this role as reliably.

@messiah: Literally every argument you’ve made is a function of one of two things. You either have no idea how to leverage the build effectively, or you’re simply bad at the build. Pick one, mix and match, either way your arguments aren’t valid.

sry to say maybe i truly didnt get how pu so different from any other condi build of the mesmer
its only the pu trait which is different as dd trait all condi build take them. so pu give you protection or aegis when you go stealth. so if in 1v1 you aint go in and out of stealth take other stronger build . if you just take pu to look for 1v2 or 1v3 you aint team player and you wont kill fast enough loosing time in endless fight. if its dd ele or dp thief btw cleanse constantly and blind your explosion clonse. ending maybe in you holding 1 point leaving the enemy with 5v4 on mid and close or far. like turrets engi

so you basically looking for bad enemy team to fight you 1v2 or 1v3 so your team will have the advantage on other points… gl with that

just put an tpvp video team fight

btw i played much pu build and know its mechanism. i just think there are better builds out there

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

MandJ.8965

Go on…

sry to say maybe i truly didnt get how pu so different from any other condi build of the mesmer
its only the pu trait which is different as dd trait all condi build take them. so pu give you protection or aegis when you go stealth. so if in 1v1 you aint go in and out of stealth take other stronger build . if you just take pu to look for 1v2 or 1v3 you aint team player and you wont kill fast enough loosing time in endless fight. if its dd ele or dp thief btw cleanse constantly and blind your explosion clonse. ending maybe in you holding 1 point leaving the enemy with 5v4 on mid and close or far. like turrets engi

so you basically looking for bad enemy team to fight you 1v2 or 1v3 so your team will have the advantage on other points… gl with that

just put an tpvp video team fight

btw i played much pu build and know its mechanism. i just think there are better builds out there

Agree on the last part. I don’t know why everyone cry that it is op, even now when it was nerfed people scream that it’s op I think there are better condi builds then PU Condi On mesmer.

Momekas
Momekas Namu

Is PU viable in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

PU is not good for pvp because it kills too slow. You will rarely got a long 1 v 1 in pvp if your team knows how to rotate at all. And in a team fight there are soo much ae heal an condi cleanse PU build adds nothing , where a shatter build will burst people down.
So if you only do unranked or hot join PU will be fine but in Ranked it won’t work as your MMR get to a certain pt.