It's Official: The Devs Are Crazy

in Mesmer

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

So in the Specialization video the devs mention that they replaced the godawful Wastrel’s Punishment (+5% damage vs enemies not using a skill), with a new trait that gives +10% to vulnerable enemies.

Now get this: They said that because the damage boost is now tied to a condition, they were able to boost it from 5% to 10%. Does that seem like the words of a lunatic to anyone else? What planet must they be from to think that vulnerability is LESS common than enemies who aren’t using skills? I just absolutely cannot wrap my head around what goes through the devs’ minds with these ridiculous changes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Makes sense. +10% please.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Now get this: They said that because the damage boost is now tied to a condition, they were able to boost it from 5% to 10%. Does that seem like the words of a lunatic to anyone else? What planet must they be from to think that vulnerability is LESS common than enemies who aren’t using skills? I just absolutely cannot wrap my head around what goes through the devs’ minds with these ridiculous changes.

You’re probably approaching this from a sPvP-perspective. But keep in mind that their job security is most likely largely based on PvE-enjoyment as that’s where the majority of the players will be (if other MMOs are even remotely anything to go by).

In other words, mobs which 95% of the time don’t do anything.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Strill.2591

You’re probably approaching this from a sPvP-perspective. But keep in mind that their job security is most likely largely based on PvE-enjoyment as that’s where the majority of the players will be (if other MMOs are even remotely anything to go by).

In other words, mobs which 95% of the time don’t do anything.

If it’s PVE we’re talking about, then vulnerability is up 100% of the time. How does that make any difference?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

If it’s PvE mes gets a needed dmg boost. If it’s PvP there is counter play.

I don’t see the problem?

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flow.2947

Flow.2947

i wouldn’t say they run crazy i’d say they finally saw that it wasn’t good before and i am happy about the change!

But for pve you dont know if there isn’t a boss in HoTwhich is immune against conditions. Meybe resistance cover also vulnerability and you loose your 10% dmg boost.

in Mesmer

Strill.2591

I don’t see the problem?

Reading comprehension. I never said there was any problem with the traits. It’s the devs’ justifications for them that betrays a completely nonsensical train of thought.

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

This thread should be closed. It is disrespectful on so many levels and I have trouble understanding what OP is complaining about.

in Mesmer

Strill.2591

This thread should be closed. It is disrespectful on so many levels and I have trouble understanding what OP is complaining about.

That the devs think Vulnerability is less common than enemies who aren’t using skills.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I don’t see the problem?

Reading comprehension. I never said there was any problem with the traits. It’s the devs’ justifications for them that betrays a completely nonsensical train of thought.

What I brought up was likely the design desison and justification… Which makes sense for multiple parts of play so seems pretty valid to me. Dunno why you think that’s crazy?

Your displeasure of their justification was the “problem” I was referring to.

Unless this whole topic is a joke along the lines of “hur hur hur a-net made a design choice that makes sense. Crazy right?” In which case wasn’t that funny needs better setup and stronger punch line.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in Mesmer

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

Only if you could see my face. Then you could tell how many yucks I give about how you feel on so many levels.

You clearly have no idea that the OP is not understand how the Dev’s came up with the justification for the change. Yet your lack of understanding did not stop you from crying to have him censored. Clearly there is a government job just waiting for you to fill it.

(edited by NecroN.8306)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

So in the Specialization video the devs mention that they replaced the godawful Wastrel’s Punishment (+5% damage vs enemies not using a skill), with a new trait that gives +10% to vulnerable enemies.

I makes no sense, but i think they might have just said it wrong and didn’t bother to correct, since most people understand. I will translate for you: “Wastrel’s Punishment is a kittening terribad trait so we buffed it to be more like every other profession’s grandmaster minors”.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

They buffed a trait that was previously awful. I’m more than satisfied.

/thread

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Ele’s Fire GM Minor gives +10% damage against burning targets, and Thief Deadly Arts GM Minor gives +10% damage against targets suffering from any condition, so I think the change to Wastrel’s makes a lot of sense balance-wise.

But yeah, vulnerability is way easier to apply than preventing your opponent from using skills (especially since dazing them will apply vulnerability). So the rationale the devs gave in the video doesn’t make much sense. They probably just misspoke.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

lol, I think you need to watch some of the crazy things other professions are getting if this 10% has your kittens in a wad. Watch the Ranger one, or of course Thief…

After watching them all it became apparent that it truly is impossible for anyone, including Anet I might add, to understand the actual balance changes this will bring to the game. It’s just too many variables and we’re just going to have to wait and see.. Anything else is giving into hype, be it negative or positive, and has far more to do with people giving into their emotions then making rational objective statements based on facts.

The good part is, we’re all going to be news again for a while! It’s going to take quite some time to re-learn the intricacies of the game after HoT, and I’m betting there will be FoTM builds that will seem totally OPd first, probably sadly get knee-jerk nerfed, and then people will find a new FoTM that actually was even more powerful then the one that got nerfed shortly after the initial patches. ;-)

Fun times ahead and my hat goes off to Anet for simply having the guts to do such a massive overhaul. (Of which we haven’t even heard about several parts yet.)

(edited by Windwalker.7421)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aniro.8017

Aniro.8017

I would guess that the “not using skills” part was originally restrained in an attempt to prevent Mesmer from doing too much DPS during stun/daze and becoming a true stun lock 100→0 class.

The “Wastrels” skills were generally useful in GW1 against foes that stopped casting or attacking as a counter to Empathy or Backfire (or their ilk), or as cover hexes. In general they had solid counters and required set-up and or/very judicious situational use. It is very much a hold over.

That said.. given the prevalence of vuln it looks an awful lot like a raw 10% DPS increase. Maybe resistance is going to be more powerful and more prevalent than people realize.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

You are reading too much into it. In fact, I don’t really understand why YOU would call someone a lunatic because of some minor detail in a conversation that you found questionable.

You need to cut these people some slack and realize they are human and allowed to make mistakes without pouncing on them at every opportunity.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Mesmer

Strill.2591

You are reading too much into it. In fact, I don’t really understand why YOU would call someone a lunatic because of some minor detail in a conversation that you found questionable.

You need to cut these people some slack and realize they are human and allowed to make mistakes without pouncing on them at every opportunity.

I’d be perfectly willing to do with that if there were any indication that they were planning on fixing the Mesmer’s longstanding issues that have been complained about since the game first came up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

He’s not complaining about the new trait – cuz it’s a good one! But the reasony they mention is just silly.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Okay so its a buff ans youre upset about it? Anyways wastrels got kind of merged with mental torment since damage causing shatters are 50% more effective against foes not using a skill

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Strill.2591

Okay so its a buff ans youre upset about it?

No. When did I say that?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

To clarify: The OP doesnt have a problem with the trait. The thing he has a problem with is the way the devs talked about it.

I mean, continue with this thread if you want but other than clarifying what it is about, I’m not sure there’s much to be said here.