Karka farming for fun and profit

in Mesmer

Posted by: Josh.2376

Josh.2376

For my fellow mesmers who haven’t discovered our greatness at karka farming, read on. Anyone who has ventured to lost shores has gotten smacked by the karkas super annoying shell spike projectiles that cripple. The karkas strength is also their downfall. Paired with feedback and mimic (this is the first time I found it useful) mesmers are extremely capable karka killers. Just approach the karkas (don’t use an illusion till after you use the skill) and pop either one of those reflects, the rascal will masocistically take out half its own health. They drop powerful blood, karka shells, and normal loot. The beautiful thing is you should have one of your reflects off cd for almost every karka. Happy hunting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayanavi.1904

Ayanavi.1904

You forgot focus traited for reflection and -20% CD giving you temporal curtain and iWarden. The Warden will OHKO the karka between it’s own damage and the salvo. giving you feedback, TC, iWarden and Mimic. The first three are entirely all you need for a rotational farm.

That said, I’m annoyed you’ve pointed this out. It was like a community secret – Anet didn’t need to know that Mesmers had discovered a method of farming we didn’t totally suck kitten at. Now, look what you’ve done?

Next Patch Notes: Reduced Karka’s salvo damage to make it more manageable.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

It was like a Anet didn’t need to know that Mesmers had discovered a method of farming we didn’t totally suck kitten at.

They already did. That’s why they made karkas like that: all the whining on the forums.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Hell, anything to get more bodies onto this place wouldn’t hurt. Now they just need to add more items.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Yes! Feedback + mimic + a few stacks of confusion is my recipe for Karka killing. It’s super effective!

Gandara

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zileve.2089

Zileve.2089

Yeah I just started doing this, it feels so -weird- being able to farm something on a mesmer. I watch other classes dps them down while I insta-half health with iWarden reflect then finish up with a blurred frenzy and f1. Done.

Next one eats feedback and confusion finisher from GS. Good times.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kabuki.9103

Kabuki.9103

Gonna try this.

I actually farmed them fine to get the Monthly using just greatsword. I’d use #2 and #4 and a clone on dodge to have 3 up, then just GS auto attack from max distance while the mob toys with my clones. If it somehow targets me, then I would decoy and continue. Finish with shatter.

But the reflection method does seem quite a bit faster.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Send me all your Karka shells! I’m making Apothecary gear, and pretending I can heal with my mes

in Mesmer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Send me all your Karka shells! I’m making Apothecary gear, and pretending I can heal with my mes

Specced and geared for it mesmer heals is some of the better sustained healing in the game it’s not as bursty as guardians but with mantra of pain spam it’s nonstop 2-3k + heals. You don’t have to deal with the 10-45 second cooldowns other classes have on the heals.

(edited by NeuroMuse.1763)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Ok noob Mesmer here… How does mimic make this possible? I understand feedback… But mimic? Doesn’t it just absorb a projectile?

PS: this makes me happy, that island is currently my favorite zone xD

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Mesmer

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

hah thanks for this, spent a half hour or so in lost shores today as a result. Had stopped coming until read this post.

First time using mimic too.. like above poster I’m not sure what exactly it does or if it overlaps with feedback / iwarden

in Mesmer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Ok noob Mesmer here… How does mimic make this possible? I understand feedback… But mimic? Doesn’t it just absorb a projectile?

When you trigger mimic you get hit by 1 projectile all others after that get reflected while the channeling is in effect. You can then shoot that 1 projectile back at the mob.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

When you trigger mimic you get hit by 1 projectile all others after that get reflected while the channeling is in effect. You can then shoot that 1 projectile back at the mob.

That sounds like the most awesome ability ever and I must have it!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Mesmer

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

Yea it was discovered recently. Nobody touched it ever, not even in beta until recently when someone tested it and said “oh look guys”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Yea it was discovered recently. Nobody touched it ever, not even in beta until recently when someone tested it and said “oh look guys”

Actually it used to only work as the tooltip said.

Absorbed a single projectile to be fired. I believe it was stealth buffed to become a full 4 second reflect during late beta.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Absorbed a single projectile to be fired. I believe it was stealth buffed to become a full 4 second reflect during late beta.

Actually it has gone through multiple iterations. It is probably the one Mesmer skill that has changed the most, and the most times. The tool tip has never changed through all these changes though.

Right now it is absolutely terrible for anything other than Karka farming. And no this wasn’t some recent discovery, this is something lots of Mesmers were doing the moment Karka’s entered the game.

Personally, it was one of my favourite abilities, both in the beta (absorb one projectile), as well as up until mid October or so when they ruined it (4 second reflect, mimic the first projectile… changed to what we have now). It was a favourite of many other Mesmers as well.

Taking the first hit means that it is a garbage skill only useful for farming one particular enemy, that spawns only in one particular zone.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Macha.9160

Macha.9160

after killing some karka with mime… it seems as if you only take the first hit 50% of the time… (for me)
1. i took the first hit, it loaded it and after 4 sec of reflection i can shot it at the karka.
2. i don’t take the first hit, it loads with nothing and after 4 sec of reflection i can shot some air at the karka.

don’t know if thats intentional or a bug…

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Actually it has gone through multiple iterations. It is probably the one Mesmer skill that has changed the most, and the most times. The tool tip has never changed through all these changes though.

Right now it is absolutely terrible for anything other than Karka farming. And no this wasn’t some recent discovery, this is something lots of Mesmers were doing the moment Karka’s entered the game.

Personally, it was one of my favourite abilities, both in the beta (absorb one projectile), as well as up until mid October or so when they ruined it (4 second reflect, mimic the first projectile… changed to what we have now). It was a favourite of many other Mesmers as well.

Taking the first hit means that it is a garbage skill only useful for farming one particular enemy, that spawns only in one particular zone.

It good on multy dgn boss’s that each aoe not much damage but fires massive amounts of them. Like Arah lupi, I can do 20k damage using mimic on him at right times.

Also when have multy people on you, and some rang that is spamming reg fire. You can use it for a good 4 sec not able to be hurt at all. IF use at right time again.

Plus it not notice very much, unlike feedback. Because of that rangers will more then likely hurt themself likes crazy, as well as engi ive notice.

It good for a lot of things, you either dont know how to use it or you just not tried and angry they change a skill you like.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zileve.2089

Zileve.2089

I find Mimic really good for Fyonna’s Nightmare Tree. She’s too tall to feedback the eggs, and Mimic will 80% block every egg and give you a projectile to reflect. the other 20% it works as stated and you take 1 egg hit to absorb.

in Mesmer

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

Was this nerfed yesterday? I got around 50% less loot this morning. There was a ton of common item drops…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Siliconhobbit.4361

Siliconhobbit.4361

Honestly…the only real reason to go to Southsun Cove is to mine Orichalcum nodes. There is no there reason to go there as this area provides nothing of any use what-so-ever.

In my opinion the dynamic events are a waste of time or bugged, Karka’s are annoying to kill unless you are a Mesmer and there are no other mobs in the area worth farming. I have a more enjoyable AND profitable time going to any of the Orr zones or Frostgorge Sound then I do Southsun Cove.

Of course this is just my opinion. Take it as you will.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Honestly…the only real reason to go to Southsun Cove is to mine Orichalcum nodes. There is no there reason to go there as this area provides nothing of any use what-so-ever.

I’m thinking you haven’t read the recipies for infusions yet. Farming the zone is manditory for peak ascended gear.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.