Let's talk about our Grandmaster traits

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Hi guys

Recently I have seen a number of threads suggesting rework of certain underwhelming grandmaster traits for mesmers.

I just want to make this thread where we can review all of our gm traits to see what state they are in at the moment and comment on them.

Below I will list all the gm traits and start with my own opinions about them first. In my view, gm traits are supposed to be so powerful that a solid build can be based entirely on just 1 trait. Thus, all my suggestions might seem like OP and that’s how it should be.

For each trait, I will look at both the concept and its implementation in the game, then propose my suggestions how to change it so that it requires as little rework as possible.

Feel free to comment and share your own awesome ideas about these pillars of our trait system.

Here we go.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

DOMINATION

Empowering Mantras: Gain increased damage for each readied mantra (4% per mantra type)

Concept: I think this situational passive boost in dmg is a dull concept. It also forces people to run 4 mantras to maximize the effectiveness of this trait.

Implementation: in best scenario, the maximum dmg boost is 16%, nothing impressive really, considering there are far better dmg modifier traits at lower tiers.

My proposed change: Activate a mantra will grant you a boon
– Mantra of Recovery/ Power Return: grant you Swiftness (5s)
– Mantra of Resolve/ Power Cleanse: grant you Retaliation (5s)
– Mantra of Pain/ Power Spike: grant you Might (15s) (1 stack)
– Mantra of Distraction/ Power Lock: grant you Fury (5s)
– Mantra of Concentration/ Power Break: grant you Regeneration (5s)

This new EM trait will offer more flexibility in terms of boosting your dmg and defense, make it versatile for its place in this offensive traitline.

Confounding Suggestions: Chance to inflict Stun whenever you daze a target. Increase daze duration.

Concept: Brilliant concept and very impactful in gameplay.

Implementation: I think this trait is balanced and it fits nicely with Domination theme. No change is needed.

Power Block: Enemy skills that you interrupt have an increased cooldown (increase cd duration by 10s)

Concept: Again, this is a brilliant concept and way to promote Interrupt as one of mesmer’s strengths

Implementation: This trait would be all balanced and well-rounded if not for… thief class mechanic: initiative. It’s hard to deny that this appears to be quite unfair to other classes as their weapon skills will be affected by this gm trait while thief weapon skills are not.

My proposed change: The fairest way to change this is to make it work with Thief weapon skills, it will appear fair and square for all classes. Maybe just 5s CD to compensate for their initiative global CD system.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

DUELING

Harmonious Mantras: Mantras can be activated three times before needing to be channelled again.

Concept: Good concept, nothing really outstanding but a solid way to make mantras more powerful.

Implementation: Given how mantras work in the game, this gm trait appears slightly underwhelming and not really deserve a gm spot yet.

My proposed change: Just an extra bit on top to make it really gm-worthy, add the dmg bonus for each readied mantra (4%), in other words, merging the Empowering Mantras trait into this trait.

Furious Interruption: Gain Quickness (3s) when you interrupt a foe. ICD: 15s

Concept: Good concept, in offensive sense, it’s a way to disable foes and move in for a kill, so to speak.

Implementation: Very short duration of Quickness and the ICD pretty much kills this trait for me, makes it very underwhelming or even near useless.

My proposed change: Either increase duration of Quickness to around 5s or remove the ICD. In addition, the mesmer gains Fury boon (5s).

Triumphant Distortion: Gain distortion upon killing an enemy. ICD: 10s.

Concept: I personally think it’s a brilliant concept. The trait feels like a neat reward when you kill an enemy and also a way to disengage when you have done your job in the fight.

Implementation: While the ICD is somewhat justified as a way to prevent the abuse of this trait in PvE, it also makes this trait underwhelming and less appealing. In PvP environment, the trait proves somewhat pointless and has no real impact on the result of the fight (both duelling and group fight). The effect is purely defensive and it only comes to you when the fight is almost decided in your favour. Also, the distortion not working with Masterful Reflection trait.

My proposed change: You and your illusions gain Distortion for 3s upon killing an enemy. ICD: 10s. Illusions with Distortion can still be shattered or disappear if the target is dead. The idea of this change is to increase the survivability of not just ourselves, but also the clones/phantasms. Also make it work with Masterful Reflection for both mesmer and the illusions.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

CHAOS

Chaotic Interruption: Immobilize your target when you interrupt them and randomly apply blind, cripple, or chill.

Prismatic Understanding: Cloaking skills last longer, and you gain a random boon when you are cloaked. Gain 1 boon for every 1s in stealth, choosing from Regeneration, Protection, and Aegis.

Concept: from my knowledge, these two gm traits are among the most popular and for good reasons. The concept for both of these traits fits nicely with the chaos theme where you have the randomness factor at play (random extra condition with CI and random boon with PU). However, both are made solid by the non-random component: A guaranteed Immobilize with CI, and extra stealth duration with PU.

Implementation: Like the concept, the implementation of both traits is solid and has real impact in gameplay. While CI is lethal in offense, PU provides undeniably solid defence. Therefore, these traits are in good shape and do not require any adjustment.

Bountiful Disillusionment: Gain boons each time a shatter skill is used. Mind Wrack grants Retaliation, Cry of Frustration grants Might (3 stacks), Diversion grants Fury, and Distortion grants Regeneration.

Concept: compared to its older cousins, BD, while has a nice concept, lacks the random flavour well-defined in this Chaos traitline: all the boons are guaranteed and assigned specifically to the shatter skills. Therefore, this trait feels like an odd one out of the bunch.

Implementation: BD current performance falls short for a variety of reasons:

(1) it’s a shatter-based trait placed in a position that excludes either DE or IP, therefore its hard to make a shatter build using this trait;

(2) the boons gained are of little weight and short duration, making it hard to utilize them right after shatters to boost up your own dmg and/or your phantasm. Also, it leads to a gimmicky playstyle where u have to constantly sacrifice your current phantasms to boost the dmg for next summoned phantasms?

My proposed change: Keep the current implementation as the guaranteed component of this trait, but add the random part for it as described below:

10% chance to cast Mirror Images skill upon shattering. This version of Mirror Images doesn’t have the stunbreak component. Internal cooldown 45 (36s traited with iCelerity).

My reasons behind this addition: it boosts the effective illusion regeneration rate. When it procs, you can instantly make use of the boons from previous shatter to fuel your next offensive shatter or defend yourself better with extra 2s of Distortion. Also, it can help increase build diversity by providing an alternative (better or worse, im not sure) to our only option DE for clone production at the moment.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

INSPIRATION

Shattered Conditions: Using a shatter skill removes a condition from you and allies around you

Restorative Illusions: Heal yourself by a small amount when you shatter illusions.

Concept: Tbh, both of these traits have nice concept as they add on top of somewhat offensive skills some layers of defence.

Implementation: While the concept is solid, both of these traits suffer the same issue with traitline placement like Bountiful Disillusionment. Inspiration line offers lots of traits to suit phantasm builds rather than shatter builds. Therefore, for these gm traits to truly earn their place in this traitline, they need to be more powerful and appealing.

My proposed change: merge these traits into 1 and let’s call it something like Shattered Restoration. The combined power will make the new trait truly earns the GM status.

Also, now that there is empty slot in Inspiration line, I would like to suggest a new gm trait that dedicates to our glamour skills. Mantras and glamours were heralded as the two unique class features of mesmer when the class was first introduced. For a time being, it was particularly true for our glamours. But after nerfs, glamours now lost their former glory. At it stands currently, mantras have two gm traits dedicated to them while glamours have none. So this is my effort to bring back Glamours into the spotlight in a different approach.

Glamorous Denial: Your glamour skills will now cancel existing and incoming ground-targeted persisting AoE fields (BOTH hostile and friendly fields) at your target location for its duration.

How to implement this? It works like this: upon activation and every 1s after, your glamour AoE will check if it intersects with any other AoE, if it does, it will reset the duration of that AoE to zero, effectively ending it. This means this will only work against AoE with a duration, skills like Mind Stab and Clusterbomb will not be effected because they are instant.

Ok this trait might be hard to implement and potentially has lots of technical issues. However, it will work as a hard counter to AoE. Let’s face it AoE is quite overpowered in this state of the game with little counter (Retaliation underperforms in this role).

Also, with this, Null Field can live up to its name now as nothing can happen within its presence.

Disruptor’s Sustainment: Gain bonus healing power when interrupting a foe (+1000 healing power for 5s). Does not stack with multiple interrupts in either intensity or duration.

Concept: I’ll be blunt. I don’t like the concept. A situational passive bonus that you might or might not make use of feels very lacklustre for a gm trait.

Implementation: The bonus healing power simply does not have much weight. As a burst heal, it will provide an additional hp of less than 1500 using Ether Feast. The short duration of 5s simply means it is rather ineffective boost for sustained healing like Regeneration boon (~ extra 125hp/s).

My proposed change:

(1) Just make it stack in intensity or duration for multiple interrupts. This sounds like the easiest way to buff this trait.

(2) As I don’t like the concept, this is my personal take to rework the trait: Recharge your heal skill when interrupting a foe. ICD: 30s.

Now this new DS trait would not only provide a more reliable way to heal yourself up after a defensive interrupt but can be used offensively with Signet of the Ether or Mirror, making it more versatile than the current form of DS.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

ILLUSIONS

Illusionary Persona: Shattering illusions creates the shatter effect on you as well.

Concept: This trait has by far the best concept. It’s simply brilliant.

Implementation: Not only the concept is interesting, but the execution of this trait plays out amazingly as well. It’s a perfectly balanced trait and needs no further adjustment.

Imbued Diversion: Diversion hits multiple targets. (max 5 targets, radius 240)

Concept: While the concept is a nice boost to our F3 shatter, most interrupt mesmers would argue that this should be the baseline for F3 as both F1 and F2 shatters are AoE.

Implementation: Compared to its brother IP in the trait line, ID seems much less appealing. This is probably because Diversion acts more like a control shatter, rather than a damaging shatter. Sure, we can use this coupled with Halting Strike or Perplexity runes but due to the nature of interrupts, it is quite situational and does not warrant the investment. The trait, while not all bad, is simply not good enough to be GM-worthy.

My proposed change: Adding the extra bit to Imbued Diversion to make it stronger for an interrupt build:
Diversion now hits multiple targets and inflicts 3 stacks of confusion (5s) upon interrupt.

This will save us some grace and perplexity runes are much less a slap in our face when it comes to Confusion. It will also restore our role as mass confusion spreader in group fights.

Maim the Disillusioned: Enemies hit by shatter skills are inflicted with torment. 1 stack of Torment (4s) per illusion shattered.

Concept: Solid concept, the tie to shatter skills gives mesmer the best access to torment to any other class at the moment.

Implementation: This trait as right now suffers an identity crisis. The bursty feeling you have with the IP power shatter version is lost when using MtD. On the other hand, sustained condition dmg pressure over time is not viably achieved due to the short duration (4s). To sum it up, the short duration of torment and only 1 stack per illusion make this trait underperform in gameplay.

My proposed change: I am inclined to make MtD in the direction that gives the bursty feeling when our shatters hit.

(1) Easiest way to achieve a so-called condition burst dmg is to up the number of stacks per illusion to 3 or 4 and reduces the duration to 2-3s.

(2) However, i personally think this is way too simplistic, so this is what I propose to spice things up: Enemies hit by shatter skills are inflicted with torment. 2 stacks of Torment (4s) per illusion. Torment inflicted by shatter skills deals DOUBLE DMG if the enemies have a movement-hindering condition (Crippled, Chilled, or Immobilized)

I am inclined to make this not work with Torment from Scepter because it sounds overpowered. However, I leave it as an open discussion for you guys.

So there you have it, all the gm traits have been evaluated. Your turn to share your own ideas and wish lists of the traits.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Good Idea keenlam! ilu! :p

Could you include GM minors too?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Good Idea keenlam! ilu! :p

Could you include GM minors too?

Maybe, I need to take a break first. xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: WitchKing.5317

WitchKing.5317

So your rework of Disruptors sustainment. I’m all for a rework of this trait, cause it sucks.
But I’m not sure of how the second option would work with the mantra heal because if the mantra is already charged when you interrupt what happens? Does it become immediately rechargeable after you use all the charges?
And the implications it then has on the signet heal, would that then become to overpowered?

Fanged Wisdom- [BBQ]/[OMFG]
The Corrupt Mesmer Builds

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

So your rework of Disruptors sustainment. I’m all for a rework of this trait, cause it sucks.
But I’m not sure of how the second option would work with the mantra heal because if the mantra is already charged when you interrupt what happens? Does it become immediately rechargeable after you use all the charges?
And the implications it then has on the signet heal, would that then become to overpowered?

I suppose it will work like u suggest with the readied mantra and reset the CD if it is on the 10s CD. Also I have an ICD for this trait. Maybe put a longer ICD if it proves too OP with Signet Heal skill?

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Don’t uderestimate the 16% damage boost please. Don’t make the same error as Anet by balancing for PvP only.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Supertramp.5430

Supertramp.5430

I really like your idea for a GM glamour trait.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Some good suggestions, many of which have been echoed at one time or another on the forums. My thoughts:

• Empowering Mantras: I don’t agree with that one – I think it needs to stay separate with the damage modifiers, as it’s really one of the only ways to boost raw damage by percentages with mesmer. The PvE crowd needs that xD. I have some suggestions on this one though, below.
  • Power Block: While I like your suggestion and was the behavior of the “bugged” mechanic when it was released, I don’t see it happening (even with the ICD). I think Pyro had a great suggestion a few days back on this trait but I can’t find it at the moment.
  • Harmonious Mantras: I like the idea of merging some of the mantra traits, and doing it the way you suggested would probably be too powerful. I think the damage modifiers should remain with EM. More detail below.
  • Furious Interruption: Good suggestion – I think just boosting the quickness interval to 5s and lowering the ICD to 10s would create something rather interesting to play with. This would really reward interrupt play.
  • Triumphant Distortion: I think if they just remove the ICD as promised before release, this trait would be pretty amazing.
  • Chaotic Interruption: There have been lots of forum discussion on how this could be improved due to proc’d effects stomping each other. I think the best way to improve this is leave immobilize as-is, remove the cripple condition and extend either blind or chill by 1 or 2 seconds.
  • PU: Probably fine.
  • Bountiful Disillusionment: I’m not too hip on the 10% MI proc, BUT I do like the idea of illusion generation. Maybe generate an illusion upon each shatter, so along with the boons you get, you also pop a clone. That would possibly make this worth taking without DE. In addition, I think they need to re-work the boon distribution still – they need buffed a bit.
  • Shattered Conditions/Restorative Illusions: I like the idea of combining these two into a new GM trait would definitely make it more enticing. Honestly, I’m still unsure how much use this would get due to the shatter requirement. On the other hand, I think a minor tweak of moving shattered conditions to the master tree would make it more available to take in a shatter support build. IP+DE+this trait? Um, yeah I see some good stuff there.
  • Disruptor’s Sustainment: Remove the ICD and let it stack in duration and that’d be a good start. I think your heal recharge idea also has merit.
  • Glamours Denial: Interesting idea but it sounds really powerful, probably too powerful. The mesmer hate would be immense in WvW, probably worse than the original glamour/confusion days.
  • IP: Yep, good as-is
  • Imbued Diversion: I would rather this trait reduce the recharge of diversion by 20% overall, plus make mantra of distraction AoE in nature.
  • Maimed: Good suggestion.

Mantra re-work. I think to effectively update the GM mantra traits, you take into consideration the others. Here’s my take I posted in another thread:

• Empowering Mantras: Increase to 5% damage for each readied mantra.
    More of a PvE change, but would help build diversity in that 1) only take a couple but still gain a nice 10% damage boost or 2) you can go full ham mantras for maximum damage.
  • Harmonious Mantras: Decrease channeling time by one second. Gain fury for 5s after a successful mantra channel.
    This would be a great buff for mantra builds while providing mesmer with fury, something they do not have access to unless wielding staff or taking runes that provide it.
  • Mantra Mastery: Reduced recharge on mantras. Mantras can be activated three times before needing channeled again.
    This would need moved back to the master tree. The recent move to adept to provide increased build diversity didn’t work because mantras inherently have short recharges, making the trait not worth taking. Adding the three charges along with the reduces recharge makes this trait a viable competitor to DE.
  • Protected Mantras: Gain toughness and stability while channeling mantras.
    This is currently a master trait with only the toughness given (ridiculous considering what is competing for this trait). Add stability, maybe decrease the toughness a bit and move it back to Adept.
Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Domination

Power Block – Revert before the fix, but will not work with AA, and Res and stomping
Confounding Sugesstions – Convert Dazes to stun But make Daze Duration = Stun Duration 50% Chance, Daze Duration on the trait is not wasted now.
Empowering Mantras – 5% for each Readied Mantra

GM Minor

Wastrel’s Punishment – Might as well make it to 10% dmg increase. OR 25% Chance to Spread Dazes. ICD 5-10 secs (Radius 180-240)

Dueling

Harmonious Mantras – Reduce Chanelling by .30 Secs for Each Mantra equipped, Make mantras 3 charges
Furious Interruption – 5 secs quickness, Interrupts Recharges Phantasm attacks. ICD 15 Secs.
Triumphant Distortion – Remove ICD.

GM Minor

Confusing Combatants – Clones and Phantasms apply 2 stacks of confusion for 3 secs. when killed. Interrupts Deal 5 Stacks of Confusion (ICD 15 Secs, Only for the Interrupts)

Chaos

Prismatic Understanding – Get boons on 1.5 Second Interval
Chaotic Interruption – Lose the Cripple, Put Weakness. Additional Effects (Blind, Weakness, Chill) Only Procs After the Immobilize Wears off.

GM Minor

Chaotic Transference – No changes.

Inspiration

Still Thinking about it.

illusions

IP – Retain
Imbued Diversion – Makes MoD AoE, Diversion AoE, Increase daze Duration by 25%.
Maim The Disillusioned – Make 2 stacks of Torment

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Domination

Power Block – like StickerHappy said above
Confounding Suggestions – Also like StickerHappy said above
Empowering Mantras – I think this trait needs a complete rework. Forcing mesmers into using mantras only…to get a damage output increase is bad. This damage increase needs to be based on something other than pressuring zerk builds into ignoring all other utilities.

GM Minor

Wastrel’s Punishment – This trait just seems vague and difficult to gauge its effectiveness. I would much rather this be replaced entirely with something power related and under the mesmer’s control…maybe a non random, boon generating trait…like fury, might, or protection..that does not require shatters.

Dueling

Harmonious Mantras – No real comment here as I just generally do not like mantras. This seems like a decent GM
Furious Interruption – The quickness duration is extremely short and should apply to phantasms…just like the above poster said
Triumphant Distortion – This trait does not belong at GM level. This is like the adept minor trait in guardian’s radiance line. It only works on trash in pve and has a significant ICD. I’d take this as the master level minor, but not as a GM major. I’d take something at this level that provided fury on a frequent basis since this is the precision/ferocity line.

GM Minor

Confusing Combatants – The effect is minor…I’d never choose this unless going for the GM slot.

No real comments on Chaos, Inspiration, or Illusions GMs.