Lets talk about Mirage's Shadowsteps

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

First off let me say there are some wonderful concepts for the mirage and I appreciate the thought that went into it. Especially the idea for shadowsteps because that’s what I was most excited about. But I feel the shadowsteps were poorly implemented and makes me just feel frustrated with it 50% of the time.

Axis of Symmetry (Axe#3) and Illusionary Ambush (utility to shadowstep and retarget clones) often fails as a shadowstep. because they place the caster in a random spot around the target, if the target is on a z axis, if often places me a level below the target.

Mirage Advance (utility to shadowstep and return to location) often fails because it doesn’t have line of sight to the target even though other shadowsteps to the target work, and teleports to the same spots works fine.

Lastly, Jaunt (elite with 3 charges shadowstep). This skills sucks for mobility. There is no other way to put it. Others have said, I just wanted to restate it. 400 range on a shadowstep isn’t even fun. Major disappointment with this skill. I don’t think it needs a 0.5 second recharge between each charge either. Using the charges back to back and having to wait for it to recharge is enough punishment. I feel like this skill isn’t even really a shadowstep at all but just another means to apply condition in melee range. Calling it a shadowstep is true, but misleading because of the very short range. It just made me sad.

I’d like to see all shadow step skills have a 1200 range and not fail because of line of sight. Also, all shadow steps should put the caster within 130 range to the target, even if the position is random. When shadowstepping to a target on the z-axis, and shadowstepping is possible, the caster should always appear on the same level as the target.

I believe these suggestions will greatly improve mirages utility and fun.

Thank you.

(edited by Hot Boy.7138)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Mirage Advance feels bad because of the 0.75s cast time and requiring you to be in range of the target.

Skills that function similarly are: Guardian Sword2 (target blink + damage/effect), Thief Sword2 (target blink + attack + return), both of which do NOT require you to be in range and have no cast time.

Additionally, with Axes of Symmetry and Illusionary Ambush, when placed out of melee range of a target, you will:
A: Not always be facing your target (your clones will).
B1: Not have time to react similarly to a clone (face target→run at target→auto attack)
OR (in case of Ambush)
B2: Not automatically use your Ambush on the target (your clones all will).

This seems to happen due to facing issues and can mostly be resolved by:
A: Always attempting to place all units within weapon range of the focus target.
B: Always face focus target.

Note: Neither A nor B alone will completely resolve the issue of losing your surprise action.

And while it is possible for clones to be out of range and you not to, they will ALWAYS instantly run towards the target and proceed to auto attack/ambush. Considering you aren’t guaranteed to face your target, it is not always possible to mimic that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

I think Jaunt is excellent. It requires more careful positioning than Blink to be in range, but it hits most of the generally useful pvp blink sweetspots. I do feel like 20 seconds amm recharge/cooldown is overkill, but I think range is fine for something that isn’t supposed to replace Blink. I don’t understand why it damages and confuses, though.

Illusionary Ambush/Axes of Symmetry, yeah – I’m not sure how that got through testing, it seems almost maliciously bugged given the z axis thing. Just using it a few times in khylo with no clones will demonstrate how worthless it is. Utility not worth taking, 1/3rd of weapon too tactically dangerous to use.

I think the cast time on Mirage Advance needs to go, the cast time interferes with some trick plays I feel we should have access to. Is this the only shadowstep in the game with a cast time? And yeah – line of sight is upsetting, it’s really not worth the slot it takes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I think the cast time on Mirage Advance needs to go, the cast time interferes with some trick plays I feel we should have access to. Is this the only shadowstep in the game with a cast time? And yeah – line of sight is upsetting, it’s really not worth the slot it takes.

Of the 27 (not including PoF) shadowsteps/teleports in the game only two require cast times:

Destroy Shadow Trap and Dark Path

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Mirage Advance feels bad because of the 0.75s cast time and requiring you to be in range of the target.

Skills that function similarly are: Guardian Sword2 (target blink + damage/effect), Thief Sword2 (target blink + attack + return), both of which do NOT require you to be in range and have no cast time.

Additionally, with Axes of Symmetry and Illusionary Ambush, when placed out of melee range of a target, you will:
A: Not always be facing your target (your clones will).
B1: Not have time to react similarly to a clone (face target->run at target->auto attack)
OR (in case of Ambush)
B2: Not automatically use your Ambush on the target (your clones all will).

This seems to happen due to facing issues and can mostly be resolved by:
A: Always attempting to place all units within weapon range of the focus target.
B: Always face focus target.

Note: Neither A nor B alone will completely resolve the issue of losing your surprise action.

And while it is possible for clones to be out of range and you not to, they will ALWAYS instantly run towards the target and proceed to auto attack/ambush. Considering you aren’t guaranteed to face your target, it is not always possible to mimic that.

Facing backwards is so annoying. I thought I was crazy but I’m glad/sad to see its affecting other people too.

I should never have to mash the 1 key.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.