Looking for a fun class outside of raids

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Ok, I have my Raid ready toons, Herald, Reaper, DH and all decked out in asc and such, so that’s covered. But for just open world, meta, Teq killin running around they are kinda boring (in raids as well but its a raid so meh).
Asked in Guild what a “fun” profession would be and several said Mesmer. I rolled a Thief but was so-so with that as well. So question to the Mesmer/Chrono community is just that, are they fun to play? I am a bit over melee so am intrigued with the condi Mesmer but they seem to not in a good place, everyone screams WHY!? lol…..
I get that for a raid toon they shine, but that’s mostly as tank which I don’t play and have been told if you don’t tank don’t bring your Chrono to raid. But what about all the other fun stuff in game other than raids?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I think the operative question to ask here is what stuff in the game do you consider to be fun?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

I think the operative question to ask here is what stuff in the game do you consider to be fun?

Oh just what I mentioned in the post….open World, meta events (AB and the like), Teq killin and just dailys with the few fractals thrown in. I don’t PVP but have dabbled in WVW with Guild.
So mostly PVE stuffs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

The only question you have to ask yourself, Op, is: does fun equal bringing out huge dps to you? If that is the case, then you won’t have fun with this class. As for mechanics, I find mesmer gameplay TREMENDOUSLY fun, imo. You should test it, although the levelling of mesmer is harder than other classes I would say

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Oh just what I mentioned in the post….open World, meta events (AB and the like), Teq killin and just dailys with the few fractals thrown in. I don’t PVP but have dabbled in WVW with Guild.
So mostly PVE stuffs.

Honestly, random open world stuff is sorta miserable on mesmer. You’ve got very limited options for aoe, and your damage is very low. It just takes forever to kill things roaming around solo, and you end up feeling pretty useless in big meta events a lot.

Instanced PvE content is much better though. You’ve actually got a role that you’re playing, and you’re really contributing in a meaningful way to what your team does. Fractals (and dungeons I guess) are quite fun on mesmer.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned condie mesmer in your OP. Condie mesmer in open world/meta events takes miserable to a whole new level. You’re even slower and even more useless. Condie mesmer in fractals is usable but not great. You have no meaningful damage on trash, your damage takes a very long time to ramp up on bosses, and your primary role is still buffing your team, not dealing damage.

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Pretty much what Pyro said. Mesmer is a fun class but it’s not very effective at PvE outside of group support build in instances content as mentioned above. Don’t get me wrong I like being able to portal around, blink, stealth past champs and the 25% movement speed buff for Chrono is nice.

However for general messing around in open world everything else is much more effective and if you have a main class like ele or some other high dps, high tagging class you will really see the huge gap.

If you want to dabble in WvW condition Mesmer is in a stupidly strong spot but they lose effectiveness the more people in a fight. Also expect everyone to hate you and deliberately hunt you down just because you’re condi mesmer.

If mesmer could pump out 25k dps in a low support (for a mesmer, still likely to offer guard level of support) build that isn’t screwed over by mobs dying or with huge ramp up time then I’d have switched main to mesmer a long time ago. However these problems make it hard for me to switch when I can play ele very well.

(edited by apharma.3741)