Main hand pistol please

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Please add main hand pistol as an option. I don’t know what to say that isn’t immediately obvious as far as why this should happen. We have a trait line called dueling…I don’t know what screams pistol more than that. Dual pistols would just be sexy. Our only other one hand ranged option is scepter…

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

Yes please. While I hope scepter gets some lovin’ I’d really love MH pistol.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Yeah, Mesmer is really lacking a ranged mainhand power weapon. As it happens, we also lack a ranged mainhand cd weapon, but that’s a different problem.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

While I’d love Pistol MH, and have wanted it since day one, I’m struggling to come up with what it’d actually do.

I mean, having a ranged auto-attack that scales off of Power is really nice, granted. Perhaps it could even have staged-attacks, like the scepter, applying bleeds or something.

So it’d go;

Shoot – Shoot – Bleed – Shoot – Shoot – Bleed. It’s in the Duelist tree, after all.

But what about P #2 and P # 3?

A knockdown, perhaps?

An AoE? “Rain of bullets” ?

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seetoo.9316

Seetoo.9316

My only beef with the scepter is the clone generation on the auto attack.

2 and 3 could be a blur and gap creator.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I imagine it will be sorta like a Matrix-style evasion while shooting. that would be amazing.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

While I’d love Pistol MH, and have wanted it since day one, I’m struggling to come up with what it’d actually do.

I mean, having a ranged auto-attack that scales off of Power is really nice, granted. Perhaps it could even have staged-attacks, like the scepter, applying bleeds or something.

So it’d go;

Shoot – Shoot – Bleed – Shoot – Shoot – Bleed. It’s in the Duelist tree, after all.

But what about P #2 and P # 3?

A knockdown, perhaps?

An AoE? “Rain of bullets” ?

All of those would be good, but It would need at least one clone generator and possibly replace bleed with confusion.

maybe:
p#1 shoot -> shoot -> shoot + confusion or might proc
p#2 cripple + clone
p#3 movement ability + evade on short cool down. something like RTL but does no damage and does not require a target to use.

I love my mesmer so far but open map travel is a pain without being forced to equip a focus off hand.

(edited by ODB.6891)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Josh P.1296

Josh P.1296

I imagine it will be sorta like a Matrix-style evasion while shooting. that would be amazing.

Since you put it like that, then I wouldn’t mind it ;D

Illucéption – Mesmer
Diamond Story – Elementalist
[TSym] Tac Sym

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: DragonXRose.8534

DragonXRose.8534

i’d love to see this as well.
I don’t like the MH-weapons now, not with the scepter’s auto-attack spawning clones or with the sword which gets me to close in the action (that’s a personal thing though).
THOUGH i really like the pistol as an OH weapon, the duelist is pretty strong and so is the magic bullet.
so a MH pistol that gives a strong “middle” ranged attack would be nice

GANDARA -The Searing- [TS]
Cypressa Belladonna / Yhana Belladonna / Siri Vargsdottir / Kata Sharpe
Siri Meccano / Ysana Deathpale / Siri Bladedancer / Siri Strongheart

(edited by DragonXRose.8534)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Pistol MH is a awesome idea! Hope its in the expansion or something
Lets get some ideas for the abilities peeps!

1. Shoot your foe causing 5 seconds of vulnerabillity
  2. Shoot your foe 3 times causing 3 stacks of bleeding and creating a clone to attack your foe
  3. Fire a precise shot at your foe dazing them for 2 seconds

Just some rough mesmerish ideas

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Hm…

#1: Shoot > Shoot > Apply a stack of Confusion.

#2: Blind target enemy and spawn a pistol-wielding clone who also has Shoot > Shoot > Apply a stack of confusion.

#3: Create an ethereal field which applies confusion to all foes who pass through it, and swiftness to all allies who pass through it.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: LegatusLeaf.5934

LegatusLeaf.5934

While I too love the concept of the pistol both in function and in theme, I also want a new main hand melee weapon option (or a second melee weapon period). Perhaps rather than another ranged weapon, it can work as the reverse of the greatsword. Greatsword is a traditional melee weapon used at range by the Mesmer, perhaps the pistol could offer the Mesmer a series of interesting close up attacks.

(edited by LegatusLeaf.5934)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Grigthar.1892

Grigthar.1892

1) No chain, stacks vulnerability.
2) Multi-shot attack that afflicts random conditions, but not poison or burning.
3) 1 second daze.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Right, folks.
1.) We have ‘daze’ on OH Pistol, correct? Why make an attack for MH that also has it?
2.) Sword takes care of Vulnerability. And some boon-crush
3.) Why not:

Pistol (Main)
1.) Phantom Gunslinger:
The Mesmer shoots a 3-round burst (purple tracers, of course):
a.) Straight Shot – Damage.
b.) Hip Shot – Damage.
c.) Trick Shot. Fired from behind the back – explodes in classic Butterfly-Mode.
Inflicts 1 sec. Burning.

2.) Trap Shot
.The animation would look like the Pistol has jammed. Meanwhile (sneaky buggers
that Mesmers are …) the Mesmer’s actually flipped a small energy hex at their
opponent’s feet. A second later, it explodes in a flash of light, and Blinds the foe.

3.) Sidewinder
A counter-move. When activated, the first attack to hit the Mesmer results in the
following: Sideways teleport (ala Phase Retreat) and the creation of a Clone that
uses Straight Shot in combat. (since our Clones love to spam #1 autoattacks)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

#1: Daunting Pistolier: Fire 3 shots. 3rd shot causes weakness.

#2: Dual Gunmen: Create a clone while evading and shooting your foe. (Picture a gunman that suddenly splits in 2 and both shoot at the target simultaneously).

#3: Shatter Shot: Shoot a phantasmal bullet that shatters and causes AOE damage and bleeding.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I really do hope we get a mh pistol, as we had a “toy” versio of it in Tixx.
Skill suggestions:
1.3 shots, third one does something special.
2.Maybe a gap maker, like thief P/D backwards teleport, but with a CD. Well, basically Phase Retreat, but the clone is replaced by a shot (tele backwards and shoot once).
3.Something that creates a clone. But. I think it shouldn’t be a tele/evade, because there is 1 already, and what weapon has more than 1 evade/tele skill? Maybe a shot that blinds and if it hits a clone is created next to you (we are cheating duelists, right :P).

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Please add main hand pistol as an option. I don’t know what to say that isn’t immediately obvious as far as why this should happen. We have a trait line called dueling…I don’t know what screams pistol more than that. Dual pistols would just be sexy. Our only other one hand ranged option is scepter…

Why not just buff Scepter instead? I don’t see the niche for a second 1H ranged option, tbh.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I can’t think of #1 and #2 but #3 should definitely be called Bullet Time. It creates a pbaoe field where mesmers do something similar to “Hail of Bullets” from City of Heroes. Allies in the field have haste while enemy animations and cooldowns are slowed by 50%.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I can’t think of #1 and #2 but #3 should definitely be called Bullet Time. It creates a pbaoe field where mesmers do something similar to “Hail of Bullets” from City of Heroes. Allies in the field have haste while enemy animations and cooldowns are slowed by 50%.

Ok that’s a ******* awesome suggestion, at least for the name of a skill.

I think OH pistol 5 has a lot of the crowd control options covered, so MH would prefer to be the damaging weapon.

1. could be a bouncing shot similar to WoC on the staff, maybe stacking bleeds on the target and some boon on you?
2. Need to have a “trick shot” or evasive type move, maybe stylish from behind the back as suggested, or evade and unload a burst of 3 rounds. Creates a clone.
3. I’d go with that bullet time suggestion. Ethereal combo field? Needs to be a small AoE.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, so a superior Time Warp.
20s CD?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

Ah, so a superior Time Warp.
20s CD?

20s? No no, 5s CD sounds about right. :p

Ok on a serious note, how about:
- it is an AoE centered around the player, slows everything by 50%
- it only slows enemies AND allies in the field, but grants allies regeneration/protection and enemies vulnerability/weakness?
- projectiles cannot enter the field from the outside, but players can enter or exit at will (depends how long it takes them to get to the edge ;D).

So you can shoot bullet time and matrix around inside it for 7 seconds or so.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

Why not just buff Scepter instead? I don’t see the niche for a second 1H ranged option, tbh.

The reason that you apparently don’t see is that the scepter is doing its intended role perfectly. The scepter is not a high damage weapon, it is a low damage, slow attack speed, high volume clone generator. The reason for a pistol main hand is for a more damage focused and faster paced main hand ranged weapon. A weapon more focused on doing actual ranged damage and mobility…instead of one focused on generating a constant flow of clones. This would better compliment a build based around persistent phantasms versus one based around clones and shattering. The scepter is a condition damage weapon whereas the main hand pistol will be a power weapon. We currently only have sword (melee) as a main hand power weapon….a pistol as a ranged one would be much appreciated.

The scepter does not even really compliment the off hand pistol, as it does not apply any conditions or boons (vulnerability, might, cripple) to make the off hand pistol more effective. What I, and I assume others, are looking for is a power based main hand ranged weapon to compliment the off hand pistol. I am also looking for something that looks much cooler than a scepter…I think using a pistol (a weapon that is already in our tool kit) is the best choice to pair with off hand pistol.

(edited by ODB.6891)

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Yes. I don’t want another power based weapon tho, make it so the weapon is useful on condi builds. Skill 3 Chaos Bullet: Inflicts Burning 1sec, Poison 2sec, Chill 3sec, one stack of Confusion 4sec, 1 stack of bleeding 5sec and 15sec CD on the skill. Boom that’s ‘chaos’ stuff, not give 1 stack of useless vulnerability cough WoC cough.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

Yes. I don’t want another power based weapon tho, make it so the weapon is useful on condi builds. Skill 3 Chaos Bullet: Inflicts Burning 1sec, Poison 2sec, Chill 3sec, one stack of Confusion 4sec, 1 stack of bleeding 5sec and 15sec CD on the skill. Boom that’s ‘chaos’ stuff, not give 1 stack of useless vulnerability cough WoC cough.

What you are asking for is a buff to scepter then, since it already applies confusion with scepter #3. Scepter is already the 1h condition ranged weapon for mesmer. It makes no sense to add a second ranged 1h condition weapon for mesmer instead of adding a ranged 1h power weapon…when there is no ranged 1h power weapon and there already is a ranged 1h condition weapon.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

What you are asking for is a buff to scepter then, since it already applies confusion with scepter #3. Scepter is already the 1h condition ranged weapon for mesmer. It makes no sense to add a second ranged 1h condition weapon for mesmer instead of adding a ranged 1h power weapon…when there is no ranged 1h power weapon and there already is a ranged 1h condition weapon.

Unfortunately, that’s not quite accurate. Scepter seems like someone thought it should be a cd weapon, and then left the dev team halfway through and the new guy liked power weapons better. The resulting weapon, of course, being completely useless at doing either cd or power damage.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

I’m all for this, mostly from an aesthetic point of view (though that comment about Matrix style fighting sounds awesome.) I run with a focus, and I picked up Courage (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Courage) which looks a lot like a bottle of alcohol.

If I could run with a pistol in one hand and booze in the other, I’d be a very happy Mesmer.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

I wouldn’t say it’s completely useless. It does have a niche roll in confusion spike builds and it works pretty well for that. The only problem there is that it’s effectiveness is determined by the skill of your opponent, but that’s a problem with confusion; not just the scepter. And let’s be honest here there are PLENTY of opportunities for confusion spike builds in wvw with the current player base.

It also scales rather well with power. When you get used to timing #2 and landing #3, it can out-damage the sword. The sword does come with much more utility, tho. So it really depends on what you need.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

Unfortunately, that’s not quite accurate. Scepter seems like someone thought it should be a cd weapon, and then left the dev team halfway through and the new guy liked power weapons better. The resulting weapon, of course, being completely useless at doing either cd or power damage.

Even if its accurate to say that scepter fails at doing both sufficently, then it still makes sense that scepter needs to be buffed more towards condition damage. Scepter does not strike me as a power type weapon (power = direct damage, vulnerability). Scepter type weapons match more with spells vs physical projectiles.

I’m not max level yet and certainly not max geared, but I have trouble seeing scepter doing as much damage as sword…like a subsequent poster said. This may be a l2p issue on my part though as I just really don’t like the scepter.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Nuka Cola.8520

For me to care about scepter they need to change all three skills it has and that won’t happen. What i really want for mesmer is some kind of spammable skill with poison/burning, this is what i want. I want these two conditions on one skill. We have way too many power weapon on mesmer and not a single real condi wep (staff isn’t one). Scepter deals much more damage in a power build that in a full rabid set. Sword in main and offhand is for power builds. GS is for power builds. Staff is a defensive weapon than anything else (if vulnerability is removed from WOC it could become a great condi wep). Pistol is okay for condi builds but then you have no main hand. Focus is a Swiftness weapon lolz. Torch is laughable for any builds so yeaaaah.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I can supply a couple of reasons why there might not be a MH pistol for mesmers:

First is that mesmers are primarily spellcasters, not gunslingers. The pistol as an offhand weapon acts as a sidearm, augmenting the primarily magical attack. The sword is clearly acting as part of a primarily magical fighting style on the part of a mesmer – a pistol autoattack is something that would have to be handled with care to avoid making it just another shooter.

The second is that while mesmers are connected to dueling, pistol duels historically tended to involve a few shots well placed, rather than blazing away. That fits well with the mechanics of offhands in GW2 terms, where offhand attacks are usually high recharge, high impact skills rather than something that you simply leave on autocast.

With this in mind, I’d probably propose the following:

Skill 1: NOT a chain (sceptre is already pretty close to unique as a ranged weapon chain). Instead, what I’d expect is something that channels for a short period, then hits hard. Ideally, the graphics would be something that makes it clear that magic is being used through the pistol rather than simply being a bullet with a special effect on it (engineers get enough of those) – one possibility could be to make it something like the beam attack a lot of mesmer enemies have, although a channeled autoattack could do horrible things when combined with clones and Sharper Images.

Skill 2: Clone generator. One thing I’m partial to is that the mesmer and clone dodge-roll in opposite directions, with a chain skill to swap places with your clone if you’d have preferred to go the other way. Another possibility would be for the clone generator to be combined with a reasonably powerful shot (and this one could be a purple bullet) – the twist is that it has a 50% chance of coming from the caster or from the newly created clone.

Skill 3: I do like the ‘bullet time’ idea here. The way I’d see it working is a sphere around the caster that cripples enemies within the area, and which slows enemy projectiles in the area (making them easier to dodge).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

I’d like skill 1 to be a projectile finisher, regardless of whether it is a chain, burst, channel or single shot.

Certainly skill 2 needs to be an evasive move generating a clone. Out of two MH weapons, sword has the offensive leap, and sceptre has the block.
Pistol I think should have a defensive leap/dodge, maybe to the side or maybe backwards like the staff. It would be nice if it was a leap finisher too.

The final skill is open for debate, with the only criteria being it needs to be funky. ;D

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

For me to care about scepter they need to change all three skills it has and that won’t happen. What i really want for mesmer is some kind of spammable skill with poison/burning, this is what i want. I want these two conditions on one skill. We have way too many power weapon on mesmer and not a single real condi wep (staff isn’t one). Scepter deals much more damage in a power build that in a full rabid set. Sword in main and offhand is for power builds. GS is for power builds. Staff is a defensive weapon than anything else (if vulnerability is removed from WOC it could become a great condi wep). Pistol is okay for condi builds but then you have no main hand. Focus is a Swiftness weapon lolz. Torch is laughable for any builds so yeaaaah.

Just because you had not had success using weapons does not mean they can be disregarded.
The fact you consider Focus to be a swiftness weapon is demonstrative of this, as the pull on Temporal Curtain is one of the most useful CC skills in the entire game, especially traited. The phantasm is less useful but still has a purpose if you pay enough attention and position yourself and it accordingly.

I have also had success using the torch in a stealth/confusion heavy build.

We won’t even discuss whether the Staff is a condition weapon or not. It’s certainly defensive, yes, but all 5 skills are condition oriented. (With the arguable exception of Phase Retreat, which still spawns a clone for more WoC which many condition mesmers use)

Dragonbrand

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Just because you had not had success using weapons does not mean they can be disregarded.
The fact you consider Focus to be a swiftness weapon is demonstrative of this, as the pull on Temporal Curtain is one of the most useful CC skills in the entire game, especially traited. The phantasm is less useful but still has a purpose if you pay enough attention and position yourself and it accordingly.

We won’t even discuss whether the Staff is a condition weapon or not. It’s certainly defensive, yes, but all 5 skills are condition oriented. (With the arguable exception of Phase Retreat, which still spawns a clone for more WoC which many condition mesmers use)

All 5 skills are most certainly not condition oriented. 4 are, sure, but not the warlock. There is a massive difference between scaling with number of unique conditions on the target and scaling through condition damage. The warlock is a power/crit scaling skill, and that isn’t really up for discussion. The other problem with the staff as a condition weapon is that WoC has vulnerability on it. If it didn’t have vuln, then the staff would be far better at condition damage. As is, 30% of your attacks will do practically 0 damage in a condition damage build.

As far as scepter goes, it USED to be a viable condition damage weapon, back when the autoattack applied confusion. However, only 1 out of its 3 skill apply a damaging condition, and even confusing images scales quite well with power. Unfortunately, the auto-attack chain the scepter is so mind-numbingly slow that it is highly ineffective as a power weapon, and since it only has the 1 attack of questionable utility that applies a condition, it is ineffective as a condition damage weapon. We need a main-hand pistol to actually be a power weapon, and we need scepter at least partially retooled to be a condition, or at the very least, a confusion weapon.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

EnRohbi.2187

All 5 skills are most certainly not condition oriented. 4 are, sure, but not the warlock. There is a massive difference between scaling with number of unique conditions on the target and scaling through condition damage. The warlock is a power/crit scaling skill, and that isn’t really up for discussion. The other problem with the staff as a condition weapon is that WoC has vulnerability on it. If it didn’t have vuln, then the staff would be far better at condition damage. As is, 30% of your attacks will do practically 0 damage in a condition damage build.

As far as scepter goes, it USED to be a viable condition damage weapon, back when the autoattack applied confusion. However, only 1 out of its 3 skill apply a damaging condition, and even confusing images scales quite well with power. Unfortunately, the auto-attack chain the scepter is so mind-numbingly slow that it is highly ineffective as a power weapon, and since it only has the 1 attack of questionable utility that applies a condition, it is ineffective as a condition damage weapon. We need a main-hand pistol to actually be a power weapon, and we need scepter at least partially retooled to be a condition, or at the very least, a confusion weapon.

I’ll give you your argument about Warlock.
But it’s very obvious that, whether offensively or defensively oriented, the Staff is more geared towards Conditions than direct damage.

And to be clear,
I do not disagree with the Main Hand Pistol idea.
In fact, I very, very, very strongly support it and have wanted it myself long before I noticed the stream of threads on the subject here.

I also do not disagree that the scepter needs to be reworked.
In fact, as far as the topic of the thread goes, I think we agree on all points.

Dragonbrand

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Nuka Cola.8520

Would you run focus over pistol in spvp? I won’t… When you’ve played on mez for over 1.5k hours i think you go over the ‘did not have success with X weapon’ with all this time i tried them enough to know what it can and can’t do (in pve/spvp/wvw). Focus is good in wvw because 1. Swiftness and 2. Pulling people off walls but that doesn’t mean i will ever run focus over a pistol during a roam and i spotted another player to 1v1. iWarden isn’t ‘that useful’ but completely worthless. Not only not able to follow target is lol but look at its CD… About staff. A mesmer relies mainly on illusions to spread condis. When your auto’s have a chance of applying useless 1 stack of vulnerability 1/3 of the times this kills a so called condi wep. No point of using torch in any kind of builds. When both of your skills have 1 week CD and most importantly far from being powerful there’s no point of taking it over pistol with its useful stun and Duelist which rocks for condi or power builds. Not to mention iDuelist doesn’t take half a century to CD like iWarden does so if you’re spamming shatter its much better illusion generation.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Nuka Cola.8520

I’ll give you your argument about Warlock.
But it’s very obvious that, whether offensively or defensively oriented, the Staff is more geared towards Conditions than direct damage.

And to be clear,
I do not disagree with the Main Hand Pistol idea.
In fact, I very, very, very strongly support it and have wanted it myself long before I noticed the stream of threads on the subject here.

I also do not disagree that the scepter needs to be reworked.
In fact, as far as the topic of the thread goes, I think we agree on all points.

of course staff is more oriented toward condi damage than direct damage but there’s a large difference between a weapon that is “more” oriented toward condi damage and one that is oriented toward condi damage/builds

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Would you run focus over pistol in spvp? I won’t… When you’ve played on mez for over 1.5k hours i think you go over the ‘did not have success with X weapon’ with all this time i tried them enough to know what it can and can’t do (in pve/spvp/wvw). Focus is good in wvw because 1. Swiftness and 2. Pulling people off walls but that doesn’t mean i will ever run focus over a pistol during a roam and i spotted another player to 1v1. iWarden isn’t ‘that useful’ but completely worthless. Not only not able to follow target is lol but look at its CD… About staff. A mesmer relies mainly on illusions to spread condis. When your auto’s have a chance of applying useless 1 stack of vulnerability 1/3 of the times this kills a so called condi wep. No point of using torch in any kind of builds. When both of your skills have 1 week CD and most importantly far from being powerful there’s no point of taking it over pistol with its useful stun and Duelist which rocks for condi or power builds. Not to mention iDuelist doesn’t take half a century to CD like iWarden does so if you’re spamming shatter its much better illusion generation.

The fact that you completely miss the use of the focus tells me that you have played this 1.5k hours in a sub-optimal fashion. You seem to be implying that the focus and pistol occupy the same spot in the same build, when nothing could be further from the truth. If you want a highly damaging phantasm on a low cooldown, then you take the pistol. Personally, I have stopped running pistol in favor of sword offhand, but that’s just me.

The focus offhand is defensive utility, with a few other fun tidbits sprinkled in like pulling people off of walls. The focus is not a very good weapon until it is traited, but at that point it becomes borderline overpowered. The traited focus has 2 projectile reflecting skills. These skills can easiliy be cycled for just shy of 100% uptime on projectile reflects with no effort whatsoever. Temporal curtain is a light combo field. This has several ramifications. First, you can use the leap combo finishers on mainhand sword to provide you instantly with 14 seconds of retaliation. Secondly, you can drop a warden, and then drop temporal curtain under the warden for the whirl finisher of cleansing bolts. Standing near or on the warden when you do this will clear 4+ conditions instantly.

In addition to those uses, the curtain can be used to pull people, not just off of walls, but around a battlefield. If someone is running away, pulling them back with the curtain is a simple doubletap. Dropping the curtain behind you while running away from a zerg will reflect all projectiles that they are shooting at you, while providing a line aoe cripple that has no maximum target limit. You can further detonate the curtain at that point to pull people around, all but stopping pursuit.

The warden doesn’t move, but you can use the temporal curtain pull to put people under the warden if they try to get away, and proper use of illusionary leap + swap will ensure that people remain under the warden for a good amount of time.

Additionally, the non-mobile warden will provide a temporary projectile-free zone on the battlefield. This allows you to hop back behind the bubble the warden provides if you need to escape from a hot situation.

The warden is amazing for dropping on top of cannons and burning oil, as the reflects it provides will not only damage people and guards on top of the wall, but will also protect any other pets/phantasms that were sent up top to help kill those structures as well.

And here I’ve gone and written up an essay that you probably won’t read, seeing as you’ve played 1.5k hours as mesmer and think you know everything there is to know about it.

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

EnRohbi.2187

I actually do run focus in roaming and combat situation.
The Pull gives you an absurd amount of control over where your enemy is (If there’s any terrain abnormality in sight, you can make great use of it), and I greatly prefer it to the Pistol’ stun for CC. If you happen to be fighting opponents on a cliff in wvw, the pull is virtually an iWin button if it lands.

The only thing about Warden is that it’s useless for doing Damage unless the opponent is really bad. It does have applications, however, when you make use of it’s projectiles absorption (Or reflection when traited) and don’t just use it as a “Drop and forget” source of damage like most other phantasms.

And as I touched on briefly,
When traited for reflection the focus becomes even more useful, though sparing traits for 20 in Inspiration isn’t always viable to a build.

Anyway,
If we disagree on the viability of a Focus, that is fine by me.
I have kind of enjoyed the focus being a niche weapon in combat

And just to remain ontopic in this thread:
Again, yes main hand pistol.

Dragonbrand

Main hand pistol please

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Main hand pistol meh… Just rebuff the scepter to add confusion in its auto attack and do something about the god awful wind up on confusing images and I am gonna be sound as a pound. This doesn’t say that the scepter isn’t great because I have said and so has seven mirror that if you run scepter/sword you have the highest illusion generation potential from any weapon set available to us.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer