Make Shatters unblockable

in Mesmer

Posted by: MetroXz.4710

MetroXz.4710

what you guys think make shatter unblockable?
is op or not?
because the mesmer, have 3 or 4 skill unblockable i guess, for this meta shatter unblockable will be helpful

what do you think?

ps: Sorry for English

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

what the hell is the point of blocks if everything in the entire game becomes unblockable?

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The amount of blocks/reflects annoys me too. But I don’t blame the blocks, I blame kittenty Mesmer XD

Therefore I swap to my Berserker and run double might sig. It makes me feel good.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Unblockable skills should be about… skill. You should see your enemy blocking and react by using your unblockable skills, in particular unblockable CC to counter the block. You should not have your main offensive skills straight unblockables because then you don’t need to think anymore. That is why I dislike “Test of Faith” being unblockable…

On the other hand, chronomancer used to have “well of precognition” which gave unblock ability to everyone in the area (if I remember well). That is better design, because you can’t spam it, you use it while your enemy is blocking and destroy him. But the skill changed to become more defensive, and then got scrapped. I hope they will come back to the original design, since then it at least had a purpose.

in Mesmer

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

It is an op idea I think. Can only be applied if mesmer loses every stun and daze she has. But that will fudge us more so blockable it is

I wish they would bring back some glamour buildish thing to give. esmers a steady role in wvw.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

what the hell is the point of blocks if everything in the entire game becomes unblockable?

Well, it’s an arms-race issue. They’re giving out blocks and invulnerabilities like candy.

Consequently, we need more and more abilities which can ignore them.

The correct solution is ofc to restrict access to either, and ideally use it as a class theme:

• One class (and only one!) has access to a lot of blocks and invulnerabilities. Conceptually I’d see this on the Warrior, but whatever, doesn’t matter. A second class has access to a 1-2 duration-based block abilities. Everyone else has only a single-hit block, and only on one weapon, if even that.
  • Likewise, only one class is able to pierce vulnerabilities frequently, ideally via a debuff (so the target can react). A second class can pierce in limited quantities, probably as a secondary effect on specific attacks, all on one weapon (easy to identify). That’s it.

We have a lot of elements in GW2’s combat which could be used really well to differentiate the classes, yet the constant arms-race coupled with the “me too, me too, me too!”-approach of many PvP players and the devs genuinely listening to players (IMO always a bad thing in MMORPGs, players know what they dislike but not what they want) leads to classes which are washed out and effects which are all over the place.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

“Diversion is unblockable” Trait

Hot stuff, to be honest.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

That would be way to OP especially with F3 shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Well, it’s an arms-race issue. They’re giving out blocks and invulnerabilities like candy.

The correct solution is ofc to restrict access to either, and ideally use it as a class theme:

• One class (and only one!) has access to a lot of blocks and invulnerabilities. Conceptually I’d see this on the Warrior, but whatever, doesn’t matter. A second class has access to a 1-2 duration-based block abilities. Everyone else has only a single-hit

Actually, seems like it really ought to be guardian’s domain, you know? It already kind of was, but it doesn’t really matter anymore.

I was especially annoyed with the change to well of precog, because basically they turned it into a high-cooldown version of a thing that guardians get almost for free (and with heaps of profession-mechanic options).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Spanny.9256

Spanny.9256

op, just like the venom buff imo.
just revert to less unblockable stuff and less blocks and invul in general.
i remember when the warrior signet that allowed unblockable hits was one of the main moves that was unblockable.
i remember when it was a big thing when necro marks were unblockable when traited.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

• One class (and only one!) has access to a lot of blocks and invulnerabilities. Conceptually I’d see this on the Warrior, but whatever, doesn’t matter. A second class has access to a 1-2 duration-based block abilities. Everyone else has only a single-hit block, and only on one weapon, if even that.
  • Likewise, only one class is able to pierce vulnerabilities frequently, ideally via a debuff (so the target can react). A second class can pierce in limited quantities, probably as a secondary effect on specific attacks, all on one weapon (easy to identify). That’s it.

We have a lot of elements in GW2’s combat which could be used really well to differentiate the classes, yet the constant arms-race coupled with the “me too, me too, me too!”-approach of many PvP players and the devs genuinely listening to players (IMO always a bad thing in MMORPGs, players know what they dislike but not what they want) leads to classes which are washed out and effects which are all over the place.

The idea of one class and only one class having blocks is bad. It’s like back in gw1 when rangers had evades and warriors had blocks. Some skills were unblockable and some undodgeable. The idea of needing different skills to counter 2 different classes was a nightmare when you have such a small skill bar. Anet decided to normalize everything with good reason here.

Have they really been giving out blocks like candy though? As far as all the base classes go, I don’t think any new blocks have been added throughout the entire game. New specs are supposed to introduce new play styles. More blocks is not a problem. The lack of good counters is. Adding more unblockable stuff also means adding more non reflectable stuff which is just a pain to remember what is what.

Look at fighting games with a pretty simple rock, paper, scissors kind of format. Block stops a punch. Grab stops a block. Punch stops a grab. Importantly, the punch and grab look very different. Having unblockable punches is"messy."

I like the beta Well of Precog (BRING IT BACK instead of aegis) and the new Basi Venom. These are very specific anti-block skills with decently long CDs but powerful effects and seem like decent “grabs.” You don’t spam them randomly vs someone that has blocks. You use the skill to make the next attack unblockable. Importantly, it lets your enemy know that you are using a specific ability which alters their defenses allowing for counterplay. Having interrupts be unblockable wouldn’t have fun counterplay from a “block class” as it would just negate their mechanics. It would be like mesmers being countered by thieves all the time due to class mechanic.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unblockable
I think the bigger issue is that it’s not easy to learn what is or isn’t unblockable without just memorizing that list. Traps and walls are easy categories to remember. I think the rest of these abilities that are unblockable actually need better tells. Like instead of a red AOE, they can be orange/yellow AOEs. And players that have the unblockable attack buffs glow orange/yellow. Hopefully new elite specs will continue to give walls or traps to more classes and it will become common knowledge of what type of skill counters blocks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The high block/invuln time was meant for guardians due to the low-tier health and aegis/RF/blocking weapon skills being a big part of their class mechanics, but yea, if I could +1 this harder I would.

Even as a thief main I don’t think BV making attacks unblockable was necessary; it’s just power creeping a “solution” to a problem, as BV’s huge cast time doesn’t counter-play blocks, it just makes the thief strictly better on engage with it and safer to engage with. While it really doesn’t have any impact at all in most 1v1 encounters (as the skill has a very long cast time so you can’t react with it), the issue is stemming largely from classes in general just not being able to get their burst off and do sustained damage because everything just runs around invuln or spamming blocks these days. Not to mention that only a few skills should be unblockable and that such skills should be used as counterplay or for effects rather than just pure damage/essential portions of damage/burst.

There are too many damage-prevention effects in the game right now and too many passive effects which activate these. The skill-demands from the game are slipping rapidly with an excess of power creep brought in from HoT due to bad design.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

This is an utterly bad idea. If I need to explain why then its too late, for your soul is already lost. :O

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE