Mesmer Concept: What Am I Doing Wrong?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Halegorn.9874

Halegorn.9874

I haven’t played through a lot of the mesmer (level 20) and I know that I still have to get used to it, being only 1/4 of the way leveled. I love participating in the PvP matches but I always feel like I am doing something wrong. I can’t seem to duel effectively which I hear they are good at. I think I am not using my illusions and phantasms properly, and I have no idea how to be tricky. Every time I play against another mesmer, they are super hard to follow and I always attack the wrong one and they drop in and out of stealth a lot. I have endlessly looked over the abilities and the slotted traits and I can’t figure out how to be a tricky mesmer. Can somebody please offer me suggestions on items, weapons, slotted skills, maneuvers, traits, anything that can make me more successful? Also, what classes are mesmers good against? I feel particularly weak against necromancers, warriors, thieves, and some elementalists. It is always changing of course because nobody plays the exact same every time, but I think these classes might be the most difficult to battle for a mesmer? Please offer me some help.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aeri.1452

Aeri.1452

From what I’ve seen, there’s two ways to ‘play’ a mesmer in PvP, when you’re 1v1’ing.

The first is if you’re playing a shatter-spamming build, where you can generate two full sets of illusions very quickly, and create a rather huge spike. This, combined with a Time Warp can win against almost anything in my experience. You can also use a more phantasm-focused build to deal a fairly steady stream of damage, which can be hard to overcome for most classes if they don’t bother to take out the illusions. However, it is not terribly difficult to find the real mesmer when doing either of these, as you either have few illusions up, or the phantasms which don’t look the same as you.

The second way is to play as if you were a clone: move little, don’t dodge unless you absolutely have to, and only use a non-autoattack skill when you are able to quickly generate more clones. This can be tricky to get the hang of, but by timing things right, it can be very difficult to find the real player. Since most clone-generating skills will displace you in some manner – Phase Retreat, Mirror Images, Decoy, Deceptive Evasion, etc – by alternating these skills along with invisibility, and the added damage from Sharper Images (since clones themselves output little), you can fool a fair number of people.

I personally use both, the shatter-spamming spike when on land, and the clone method when underwater, since I find the spear attack subpar for 1v1, compared to the trident attacks. Trident clones are also very awesome, because 3 Time Warped clones + you autoattacking can keep a large number of confusion stacks up on someone, and they will often very nearly kill themselves as they unload their attacks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I’ve actually gone with a domination type build, using lots of control abilities such as mantra of distraction, signet of domination, arcane thievery, the pistol and the offhand sword for the daze. It’s an effective shutdown tool that makes dealing with the enemy easier. My first pvp match i killed a few people with it. then they got smart and never let a single person fight me alone and i always got beaten quickly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheComet.6471

TheComet.6471

You could also build around mantras with the inspiration trait for restorative mantras. With a spec in that, you’ll have heals and interrupts primed for use even when you’re downed, and never have conditions pile up.

Combined with using your illusions and acting like a clone, or by regen/prot stacking with multiple duelists, you can have a ton of sustainability

Kaineng – Co-Leader of Skrittical Hits
Sybol – Healing Bunker Charr Mesmer (80)
Dresdon Honorclaw – Zerk All-Ranged Charr Warrior | Hawke Fullmoon – Melee Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: yvesbeaumont.3291

yvesbeaumont.3291

this is no definite way to play the mesmer.. that’s where theorycrafting comes into play. guild wars 2 professions are not as tradiontional as everyone thinks.