Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Profanity.6829

Profanity.6829

Howdy!

First off, i’m really new to this game and i’ve only got 2 lvl 10’s ^^. I have done a good few hours of pvp on my warrior tho. I have absolutely no knowledge of WvW or WvWvW or whatever.

Recently started a mesmer, i really like the style with the clones, preferebly as a melee with double swords. When using double swords i really feel like a clomplete and cool looking melee class, and that’s exactly what i like tyo play.

- It has a great looking, high damage blurred frenzy
- Great mobilty with a clone and cool looking teleport with illusionary leap
- Nice defence + clone on #4 skill
- Nice damage on your #5 skill

Only level 5 here so i chose my Decoy, as another cool defence + clone creator. Makes me feel like a decent survivor when overpulling

I was just wondering, (keep in mind my complete lack of knowledge about its traits and such), can double sword be good for pvp or WvW? Because it’s really the style i like to play… Altho i thought i read somewere that it is way too squishy I havent even seen the traits yet

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawlin.4290

Dawlin.4290

Take a look at Osicat’s heavy build (it’s in the top stickies) – he uses sword/sword and staff in WvWvW to great effect. Don’t expect the same results right off the blade, though

That setup can work well while levelling as well, and will only grow stronger.

Although it seems like 10 points in dueling would be the logical choice to reduce sword skill cooldowns, I’d start off with 5 points in illusions to get reduced cooldown on illusions in general. And THEN on to 10 points in dueling

(edited by Dawlin.4290)

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

Duel swords definately looks great, I liked having two of the biggest swords I could find on a small, weak looking character (petite human female).

As for pvp/wvw I just find off hand sword is just not as effective as offhand pistol. Both have a clone, sword is a slow heavy hitter that needs to be reasonably close to work (risking aoe/cleave damage). Pistol hits much faster allowing you to stack bleeds on people (sharper images trait) significantly better while also being at range.

It’s then a block/daze versus a stun/daze/blind ranged attack (pistol 5) which wins hands down in my opinion.

Play what you enjoy of course, I find sword/pistol to be more usefull than sword/sword and still looks pretty cool.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawlin.4290

Dawlin.4290

I run with staff or greatsword and sword/focus for PvE levelling. The swiftness from the focus is enormously helpful.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

iSwordsman does significantly more power-based damage than iDuelist.

Sword4 also offers the CC of Pistol while adding a kittenton of damage if you get the block counter off.

It’s basically a stronger offhand, with the limitation of being 80% melee. The Pistol does get miscellaneous bonus points for SI synergy and bugged combo finisher with the Pistol trait, though.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: kandolo.2574

kandolo.2574

Both have a clone, sword is a slow heavy hitter that needs to be reasonably close to work (risking aoe/cleave damage).

Swordsman will nearly attack twice in the time the Duelist attacks once. Swordsman repositions to always be between ~240 and ~480 range while the Duelist stands still as long as their target is in range. Swordsman’s leap finisher combos great in your ethereal fields for chaos armor.

Pistol is great for stacking confusion and bleeds.

Swordsman for power builds, Pistol for condition damage.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Plus OH Sword synergizes with MH sword for the CDR trait.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

Not bad at all. I only use it in a my daze build though, because honestly I think the other offhands bring more to the table in wvw/pve.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

your off hand per 1v1 as a mesmer can really be determined via out playing another person. <- in this mind set any offhand can be viable. :p

I roll Sword/Sword more for the look than anything. People get mad at me for not using pistol or focus xD understandably mind you but I <3 how sword/sword looks

the Daze on counter blade could be more effective since you can side step it at point blank range without trying to xD (also would be nice if it worked with dazzling and confounding suggestions). but other than that I find really no problems with it if less team fighty

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

Sword/sword is fantastic for shatter or clone spam builds in pvp. It’s really the only weapon set that lets you get three illusions up immediately with no utility skills/dodges.

For WvW I got more mileage out of the GS.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

sceptor/sword here. Another fun thing is if you run with a thief friend or anyone for that matter who pops a bunch of smoke combo fields. Your swordsmen will be invisible leaping balls of death; quite entertaining.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Volatility.6729

Volatility.6729

Garbage.

The phantasm is too easily dodged vs people that know what they’re doing. #4 doesn’t compare to all of the other non-phantasm OH abilities in any dd or condi dmg builds.

I’m gonna put up vids of me killing bads with no OH at all; its sure to become the latest fad!

Ostrich Burger
The Patryns [TP]

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: mattenator.4328

mattenator.4328

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t – at least the cooldown on tooltips dont change for offhand sword when you get the trait (they do for mainhand)

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

kandolo.2574

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t – at least the cooldown on tooltips dont change for offhand sword when you get the trait (they do for mainhand)

It does. The tooltips are bugged. Riposte is 15 seconds without the trait (even though the tooltip says 12). Swordsman is 12 seconds with the trait (even though the tooltip says 16).

Illusionary Leap is the one skill that doesn’t double benefit from the CDR and celerity.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Oh, sword4 is affected properly now? Nifty.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

kandolo.2574

A Mace and Shield warrior gets a block every 8/10 seconds and a 3 second partial-immunity every 24/30 seconds. They have to spec deep into a defensive tree to get the cooldown reduction.

Compare that to a Sword/Sword mesmer who gets a 2 second immunity every 8/10 seconds and a block every 12/15 while playing and speccing offensively.

Throw in 100% uptime of Vigor, up to 9% damage reduction, useful stun breaks, invisibility, and distractions caused by your clones — playing a melee Mesmer in PVE is a dream.

Here’s my dungeon build (Full Berserker w/ Ruby Orbs): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAscRlwzipXUTqGaNJipC9GaBkZoapWpH82FibA

Edit: Whoops, disregard this. Got my threads confused, this thread is about PVP not PVE

(edited by kandolo.2574)

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Scourge.1563

Scourge.1563

I love sword/sword, its great dps. Plus the up time of you and your clones on target is awsome.

Naz Gul-Necro/Witch King-Revenant
Watching you Bleed makes me smile…………
Titanium Horde (TANK)(Borlis Pass)

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Profanity.6829

Profanity.6829

Thank you all for your replies!

And thank you Osicat for your topic with builds and personal message. Couldn’t reply because your inbox is full (your so popular :P)

Mesmer Dual Swords PvP

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

I duel wheeled sword all the time in wubwub and find it viaball.