Mesmer Problem: Can't play other classes..

in Mesmer

Posted by: veiovis.8769

veiovis.8769

So I started to play a Mesmer a few days after launch. Leveling was slow but because I leveled with my wife (who also plays a Mesmer) it was fun nevertheless.

I’m 80 and participate in WVW and PVP. I kinda rock. I don’t lose any 1vs1s, I love the utility the Mesmer brings to any fights, the great way to escape and that I really had to master the profession to become such a dominant force.

My problem is… what now? I read about other professions and none of them appeals to me because they just seem to be so one dimensional compared to Mesmers.

Anyone has a suggestion what profession to play next to add a bit variety to the mix. I’m looking for a complex, versatile and fun class. I thought about the Engineer… what do you guys think?

I mostly play WVW and some PVP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zun.2905

zun.2905

I have exactly the same problem.

I rolled a warrior for farming, cause it’s imo the only part of the game where the mesmer is really outperformed.

I just can’t imagine playing anything else than a mesmer for anything else, especially WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caprioza.4315

Caprioza.4315

i think u will like the elementalist class .. double the abilities in combat as a mesmer because of the 4 elements and fun to play

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

^ what he said. Try a staff build with Evasive Arcana. The number of self-combos you can do, and the power and flexibility it gives you, is incredible.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabbathius.1465

Sabbathius.1465

I suggest an Engineer. With three or more kits, you’re looking at 15-20 abilities, plus 4 belt slots. The class is a HECK of a lot more complex than Mesmer. Arguably most complex class in the game, really. Someone at ANet said Necro, but honestly I just don’t see it. The class is also quite clumsy, but powerful if you can learn to live with it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Davinna.2067

Davinna.2067

I’d recommend trying a theif. I found that in WvW I’ve gotten used to all the evasive maneuvers. When I took my hunter in there I felt so vulnerable. I have started a theif and so far find it enjoyable.

The cake is a lie!
Crimson Phoenix [CPT] – Gate of Madness

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

Yep, no shortage of altaholics here. All suggestions made here thus far a good ones.

My alt addiction is unique (I make characters in MMOs based off of old imaginary characters I made up as a child.) so it’s hard for me to make any suggestions made on mechanics.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

mesmer has limited AoE. If you mainly do WvW an engi or necro can be much more fun from an AoE perspective. I honestly find mesmer boring in WvW and prefer necro. Mesmer is cool for small skirmishes but dont feel like they bring much to big clashes vs other classes that are more aoe geared. I mean what are you doing on keep defense? GS/Staff? borrrrrringgg

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in Mesmer

Posted by: nidwin.6731

nidwin.6731

Don’t listen to all those peeps Veiovis as there’s only one other choice for you.
The choice is so easy and there’s no other possibility for ya bro.

Roll another Mesmer

And after that

Roll another Mesmer

And once you have filled up all your slots with Mesmers.

Buy some slots to

Roll another Mesmer.

Friends already asked me which new toon I planned to roll.
Another Mesmer of course!

in Mesmer

Posted by: RizziVanizzi.1532

RizziVanizzi.1532

i thought the same about my ele once he got 80, then i rolled a mesmer and never looked back. now that the mesmer is fully exotic i’m thinking of starting an engineer.
i think all of the classes have a lot of depth to them, yes even warriors. for some it’s quite obvious they are complex (engineer,mesmer) for others it’s in the detail.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

Devil is in the detail, on the surface the thief is a spamathon, however, when you look at their finishers, they can pull off some of the most amazing combo finishers (i know this isn’t profession specific, however they arguably have the most finishers to hand right away) which adds complexity to the class. Each class mechanic can be used well, even the Thief’s steal (which is amazing imo).

in Mesmer

Posted by: ajlee.2607

ajlee.2607

I’d recommend trying a theif. I found that in WvW I’ve gotten used to all the evasive maneuvers. When I took my hunter in there I felt so vulnerable. I have started a theif and so far find it enjoyable.

I’m sorry to derail the thread slightly, but it’s a Ranger, not Hunter. This isn’t WoW.

On topic: I would agree with Elementalist or Engi. Each class has a plethora of skills and utilities available to them and each have their own complexities.

.::AJ//
@ajlee17

in Mesmer

Posted by: dottek.3461

dottek.3461

Try Elementalist or Engi those two are pretty Hard to play well but still very rewarding.

But Mesmers are simply the best (only Mantras are totaly useless if you dont play healing support)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Yeah, I play some alts from time to time, but my Mesmer is way too much ROFL and LOLOLOL that I can’t stay away.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Completely agree.

As a Power/Precision based build (20/20/0/25/5) I have it all. I got great damage, decent tagging for DEs, got good utility in utility slots/reflect, 1200 range and relevance in all elements of WvW. I don’t have to swap gear or specs based on what I am doing.

My 80 necro is shelved. I LOVE the Condition damage (self stacked 15 bleeds that tick for 150 is hot). I hate just about everything else. I feel useless in WvW in general other than skirmish play or the occasional amazing Epidemic. Doesn’t work at all in Magic Find gear.

My 80 engie is shelved. Grenades were great but after a few weeks of spamming 1 every 0.5 seconds it got REALLY old. Lacking targeting severely hurt with the “culling” in PvP and walls. I thought about going Pistol/Pistol spec for condition based build but we’re back to weak performance in Magic find gear as well and poor performance in WvW.

Every other character I think about I run into the same problem. Either I’m left changing around specs or changing around gear setups or the specs I want to do just don’t jive with anything else. Mesmer it just fits so perfectly really tough to want to play anything else.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Mesmer

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

mesmer has limited AoE. If you mainly do WvW an engi or necro can be much more fun from an AoE perspective. I honestly find mesmer boring in WvW and prefer necro. Mesmer is cool for small skirmishes but dont feel like they bring much to big clashes vs other classes that are more aoe geared. I mean what are you doing on keep defense? GS/Staff? borrrrrringgg

In my experience, Mesmer is AMAZING for WvW, like the best class I have played hands down. Here are a few reasons why I love Mesmer in WvW….

1. Illusionary Berserker does not require LoS…you can literally just keep casting it from behind the safety of a obstructing wall. It does high damage to a potentially large area, and it will attack multiple times if it is not killed. It also inflicts like 3-4 stacks of bleed with a precision build.

2. Temporal curtain…probably the best WvW ability I have experienced. It’s basically the veg-o-matic of GW2 (slices, dices, even makes Julienne fried). And by this I mean that is has SO many functions. It’s slows, it gives swiftness, it’s a light combo field, and best of all, it is a LONG RANGE AoE PULL. With temporal curtain, you can pull MULTIPLE people off keep walls, away from siege engine, or into your zerg. You can also use it as an AoE interrupt, and it makes a great escape skill. Oh and if that’s not enough, with a trait temporal curtain reflects projectiles.

3. Portal. What other class can bypass an entire siege if they successful hide in a keep after it’s taken? Yeah that’s right, NONE. And that is just one application of portal. You can use it for raids where you and a strike force goes out and kill some low hp enemies and then portal back to the keep before you get overwhelmed. You can use it to speed up siege golems…really the uses for portal are just limited to your imagination.

4. Feedback. Put feedback on a zerg attacking or defending a keep and watch the number pile up. But that’s not all feedback does…all that damage you see is damage that WOULD have been inflicted on your team. And not only that, it’s a confusion combo field.

5. Null field. AoE condition stripping that persists for…8 seconds is it? Can’t remember. Near immunity to all conditions for a large group for a good while…oh and it’s a confusion combo field….oh yeah, and it strips boons from enemies. Yeah, pretty useful.

6. Time Warp. AoE haste for 10 seconds. Let me say that again…AoE HASTE FOR 10 SECONDS. It literally DOUBLES the damage output from a potentially huge group of players. It is likely the most powerful elite in existence for zerg situations.

7. Mass invisibility. Don’t want to use time warp? Fine! Turn your entire group invisible! 1200 range AoE invis! Ridiculous, yeah I think so. You can sneak an entire zerg up on the enemy…they won’t see you until it’s too late.

8. Veil. Another great skill. Not as easy to use as mass invis, but if you position it well, you can invis an entire zerg.

9. Illusionary Warden. You’ll be using a focus for temporal curtain, so you will have this guy too. And he can be a real heavy hitter if positioned well. Mind you, he can die quickly, but traited he reflects projectiles, and in melee range he can put like 7 stacks of bleed on an area as well as huge damage if he isn’t insta-gibbed.

I could go on…but yeah. Mesmers are good for WvW.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

in Mesmer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

why would anyone play anything other than a mesmer in the current game? I’ve played necro, engi, ele, theif, and picked up the mesmer last night. It’s like playing in god mode!

Enjoy it while it lasts. You kitteners are getting the nerf bat next.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I’ve had a lot of fun with Elementalist and Engineer, they’re both at least as complex as the Mesmer, probably more so.

But yeah, I do keep coming back to my Mesmer, and she’s the most satisfying of my toons to play. I guess I’m just in love with exploding crystal purple butterflies

in Mesmer

Posted by: Devious Wolf.2615

Devious Wolf.2615

I guess I’m just in love with exploding crystal purple butterflies

Simply this

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tik.2381

Tik.2381

Yeah.. it’s really hard to go to a bad class after playing something so broken :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Depends on just what it is you really like about mesmers and which things you’d like to keep and which you’d like to do differently.

It hasn’t come up here, but guardians are possibly the most mesmer-like profession apart from mesmers themselves – in a lot of ways they’re a bit like a mesmer that’s been optimised more for close combat and doesn’t have stealth or illusions. But they do have the mesmer punishment mechanic through Wall of Reflection and Retribution, a number of ‘hurt my enemies while helping my allies’ tricks, and their special mechanic has a similar ‘sacrifice an ongoing benefit for an instantaneous one’ thing going. You don’t have the mesmer’s ability to steal or strip boons, but there are a lot of similarities.

Engineers and necromancers also have their similarities, although I don’t have the experience with them I do with mesmers and guardians to make a proper comparison. Elementalist… is certainly complex, but it’s a very different kind of complexity, and it’s questionable how rewarding it is to master. If it’s complexity you want and otherwise you’re looking for something different rather than something similar, the ele may be a good choice.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.