Mesmer Weapon Choices?

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Contagion.7206

Contagion.7206

So… I played Mesmer for a bit and was I frustrated with some of the weapons. I tried using a sword/sword combo and found I just wasn’t making enough clones. When I got them out they distracted the enemy quite well, but I still never had enough.

But then I used a Scepter I was much happier with the clone production. So I’m still debating what to use as my offhand, (pistol, focus, or torch). I’m also not sure what other weapon I want to use as a switch on level 7. Staff or Great Sword?

So I’m curious… What weapons do you guys use, and why do you like them? Also, what utility skills do you think are best? I mostly play PvE by myself and WvW with friends, so if you could suggest weapons for those styles that would be great. Thanks.

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: IIntrude.8903

IIntrude.8903

I use S/S and S/F. I never have clone issues as between Mirror Images, Decoy and Defender I can pump out many many melee clones. I run a no-shatter build that has me overwriting my clones constantly to apply conditions and cripples. The 3 Phantasms plus me doing the Blurred Frenzy really really hurts.

The Focus is a weapon I just started using recently and i am really taking a liking to it. The speed boost doubles as a ranged pull when detonated, and I have found tons of fun using it when attacking a wall and using it to pull defenders down from their safety. The Warden does great AoE dmg but is stationary so you really have to pick the time and place to use him best, but then again his cooldown isnt bad so you dont feel like you have to save him too much.

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ToxicToothpick.4396

ToxicToothpick.4396

I use Sword/Pistol and Staff.

It’s not an easy set up, because for maximum damage you need to use both during each fight. The general idea is to use Sword/Pistol whenever possible, while having Warlock and Chaos Storm on CD as much as possible (even if it makes some staff autoattacks). Use Duelists to fill up slots till Warlock is ready, but keep one Duelist around for semi-reliable bleeds.

As for gear, I use Perception and Power stuff, Condition damage is nice but the Warlock will crit for upwards for 4700 so Power/Crit seems to work better.

Pistol can be replaced with Focus if you want to trade damage for utility.

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Temariah.9372

Temariah.9372

I should also mention that a lot of Mesmer power comes from traits. For example, if you feel that you aren’t making enough clones, there is a trait in the master tier of dueling that allows you to spawn clones on dodge, which is fabulous for aggro dumping and delaying mobs chasing you (even more so if you trait them to cripple).

Another great trait, if you feel you’re lacking the illusion production, is a mere 5 points into illusions. It reduces the cooldown of all illusion-summoning abilities by 20%, which is quite noticable.

Temariah Dawnsong – “A new dawn is coming; sieze the day.”
Leader of The Harbingers of Serendipity [LIFE] : Fort Aspenwood

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ghimel.9374

Ghimel.9374

I like the staff because it has one of the best abilities in the game – Chaos Storm. Aside from that, Sword is nice for the DPS and the invulnerability. Off-hand is a preference issue in my opinion. Pistol is nice for the stun and the Phantasm is nice for ranged DPS, Focus provides great utility and the Warden is great when enemies stack up (also, the other skill is good for clumping them up), the torch works well for the blind, burning, and stealth (all on one ability!) although the phantasm on the torch is mediocre. Sword off-hand is pretty decent too, the phantasm is also ranged which is nice and the block is not half bad – explode it early if you aren’t going to get hit.

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vyl.7084

Vyl.7084

You have to realize that to fully take advantage of your class in this game, weapons need to be swapped out for different situations.
I swap between GS/Staff and the sword/pistol combination, sometimes using a scepter.

Mesmer Weapon Choices?

in Mesmer

Posted by: knowledgelost.5023

knowledgelost.5023

I tend to bring a staff as my secondary. Make sure you use the 2 ability while INSIDE Chaos Storm whenever possible, you will combo off yourself and get a free Chaos Shield.