Mesmer and movement (map exploration)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

I only respond in kind to the remarks of others.

People want to complain unreasonably, then they are bad.

Clearly there is something amiss because there’s a lot more of us saying that there’s something wrong with one profession missing a movement passive that the others get in some shape or form (be it signet or trait..).

Lol, no. There’s a lot of players who are jealous of the Thief run speed Signet.

I find it hilarious that people are crying about a Ranger’s 10% Signet, when Blink essentially matches it.

Then you have people crying about classes that can weapon swap for Swiftness …

While refusing to swap Focus. Now that makes me laugh out loud.

And at the end of the day, Guardians are still slower. I’m not versed well enough in Necro capabilities, but from what I’ve seen in WvW they are even slower than Guardians.

So Mesmer is basically tied for third fastest class along with Warriors and Rangers (and where does the Engi land?). Mesmers are faster than Guardians and Necros …

And we have people crying?

Of course we do, because they’re watching all the Thieves and Eles. Nothing but pure, unadulterated, whiny class envy for running around the map right there.

And it’s even more funny because the only thing this really affects is cruising for 100% map completion.

And the pure irony that Mesmers are actually faster underwater … roflmfao.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lazure.6358

Lazure.6358

You’re the only one who thinks it’s ‘unreasonable complaining’, and throwing around insults and being cruel to others is never right. Forget this, I’m done dealing with jerks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Endolex.8327

Endolex.8327

@EasymodeX:

I don’t expect you to do any thinking for me. I do expect valid arguments if you aim at denying any necessity to give Mesmers a movement boost. You have delivered none so far. Let’s see the list:

1. So far, I haven’t really spent that much time of the game underwater and I don’t expect to, so: No, I don’t find this relevant at all.

2. Blink does very little / nothing to speed up out of combat movement. With that large of a cooldown and the pitiful distance, it’s clearly meant as an escape skill in combat, not for covering ground faster.

3. Rangers at least get a signet for 10% run speed and can gain swiftness for weapon swapping (if they choose to spend 5 points in Skirmishing). That’s a lot more than we have in slot skills or traits (nothing at all).

I never said it has to be a passive. I just want something in slot skills and / or traits. So let’s compare further, shall we?

4. Warriors at least get Banner of Defense 3, “Inspire”, which grants 10s of Swiftness every 15s, so they can apply swiftness 2-3 times for every 2 minutes (Banner cooldown), even more often if they spend 10 points in Tactics (trait V “Inspiring Banners”) . They can also spend 10 points in Discipline to gain the passive 10% “Warrior’s Sprint” when wielding melee weapons. That’s a lot more than we have in slot skills or traits (nothing at all).

5. Guardians at least get “Retreat” as a slot skill, which offers 20s of swiftness once per minute. With 5 points in Honor, they get even more out of it (trait II “Superior Aria”)
That’s a lot more than we have in slot skills or traits (nothing at all).

And no, I won’t take Focus 4 in the equation. Otherwise I’d have to compare it to Guardian’s Staff 3 – and we have a way worse length/cooldown ratio. But having to equip a certain weapon, runing armor etc. is much more limiting anyway than quickly exchanging one slot skill for another.

(edited by Endolex.8327)

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

3. Rangers at least get a signet for 10% run speed and can gain swiftness for weapon swapping (if they choose to spend 5 points in Skirmishing). That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

The Swiftness on weapon swap only works in combat.

Lols.

4. Warriors at least get Banner of Defense 3, “Inspire”, which grants 10s of Swiftness every 15s, so they can apply swiftness 2-3 times for every 2 minutes (Banner cooldown), even more often if they spend 10 points in Tactics (trait V “Inspiring Banners”) . They can also spend 10 points in Discipline to gain the passive 10% “Warrior’s Sprint” when wielding melee weapons. That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

You can trait for 20% cooldown on Blink, you can trait for 20% cooldown on Chaos Storm (which has a pretty high chance to grant swiftness). You can trait for longer distance on Blink, although that seems like “trying too hard” for the purpose of running around the map.

You can trait for perma vigor, so you can dodge roll all thekittentime.

You could pick up 6 Centaur Runes and use Mirror for almost perma Swiftness, no weapon swap required. You could use MOR for actual perma Swiftness. Mesmer is basically the only class that can get perma Swiftness without using any weapon, utility, or elite slots for it.

You can actually use Focus and curtain. You know, like Guardians do, like Warriors do with Warhorn, like Rangers do with Warhorn.

Ironically your list for Warriors includes a ton of traiting and utility slots for … banners? Lol. Oh man. Too bad you can’t trait Blink.

5. Guardians at least get “Retreat” as a slot skill, which offers 20s of swiftness once per minute. With 5 points in Honor, they get even more out of it (trait II “Superior Aria”)
That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

Oh yeah! I forgot about that 33% uptime Swiftness. Good call. That’s kind of like perma vigor. Or Blink twice per minute!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Clearly there is something amiss because there’s a lot more of us saying that there’s something wrong with one profession missing a movement passive that the others get in some shape or form (be it signet or trait..).

Lol, no. There’s a lot of players who are jealous of the Thief run speed Signet.

I find it hilarious that people are crying about a Ranger’s 10% Signet, when Blink essentially matches it.

And at the end of the day, Guardians are still slower. I’m not versed well enough in Necro capabilities, but from what I’ve seen in WvW they are even slower than Guardians.

So Mesmer is basically tied for third fastest class along with Warriors and Rangers (and where does the Engi land?). Mesmers are faster than Guardians and Necros …

Of course we do, because they’re watching all the Thieves and Eles. Nothing but pure, unadulterated, whiny class envy for running around the map right there.

And it’s even more funny because the only thing this really affects is cruising for 100% map completion.

Guardians have access to jump forwards and swiftness providing utilities. Necros have a 10% signet, near permanent access to swiftness and a trait that gives them 10 or 5% movement speed depending on if and which hand they have a dagger. Engineers can use 10 trait points to give themselves permanent swiftness. Blink is nowhere near the same as the 10% passive boost signets and rangers also have the warhorn and GS 3 to help with traveling.

Warriors have GS skill 3 and 4 which are more effective then blink for travelling because they automatically shoot you forward and have lower cool downs. They have the leap on sword 3, warhorn, picking up there banners gives them a swiftness skill and a trait that increases their move speed when wielding a melee weapon. How are they tied with Mesmer on movement again?

Mesmers are faster underwater? Who cares we aren’t playing Waterworld the MMO, that benefits us on like 10% of the world.

You would think that somebody who hasn’t played the game would be less arrogant.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

3. Rangers at least get a signet for 10% run speed and can gain swiftness for weapon swapping (if they choose to spend 5 points in Skirmishing). That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

The Swiftness on weapon swap only works in combat.

Lols.

4. Warriors at least get Banner of Defense 3, “Inspire”, which grants 10s of Swiftness every 15s, so they can apply swiftness 2-3 times for every 2 minutes (Banner cooldown), even more often if they spend 10 points in Tactics (trait V “Inspiring Banners”) . They can also spend 10 points in Discipline to gain the passive 10% “Warrior’s Sprint” when wielding melee weapons. That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

You can trait for 20% cooldown on Blink, you can trait for 20% cooldown on Chaos Storm (which has a pretty high chance to grant swiftness). You can trait for longer distance on Blink, although that seems like “trying too hard” for the purpose of running around the map.

You can trait for perma vigor, so you can dodge roll all thekittentime.

You could pick up 6 Centaur Runes and use Mirror for almost perma Swiftness, no weapon swap required. You could use MOR for actual perma Swiftness. Mesmer is basically the only class that can get perma Swiftness without using any weapon, utility, or elite slots for it.

You can actually use Focus and curtain. You know, like Guardians do, like Warriors do with Warhorn, like Rangers do with Warhorn.

Ironically your list for Warriors includes a ton of traiting and utility slots for … banners? Lol. Oh man. Too bad you can’t trait Blink.

That’s a lot more than we have in Signets or traits (nothing at all).

Oh yeah! I forgot about that 33% uptime Swiftness. Good call. That’s kind of like perma vigor. Or Blink twice per minute!

How can you possibly think that a 70% chance (if that) of 5 sec swiftness on a 30 second cooldown even an option? why is using all our gear choices up to try and get it considered the same as a 10 point trait invest or equipping a utility skill? Why are you bringing vigor up in a conversation about out of combat activities?

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Guardians have access to jump forwards and swiftness providing utilities.

All 3 of these leaps require a target, which would generally put you into combat and be rather counter-productive.

Mesmers are faster underwater? Who cares we aren’t playing Waterworld the MMO, that benefits us on like 10% of the world.
You would think that somebody who hasn’t played the game would be less arrogant.

Oh man, I’m guessing you haven’t been to the Straights yet or Sea of Sorrows? Get to level 80 bro!

Why are you bringing vigor up in a conversation about out of combat activities?

You move faster with dodge rolls. I noticed this at level 2. Personally I used it to get around Lion’s Arch.

How can you possibly think that a 70% chance (if that) of 5 sec swiftness on a 30 second cooldown even an option?

Because when running from 25 players, you use every bit of mobility you can squeeze out.

(edited by EasymodeX.4062)

in Mesmer

Lazure.6358

At this point, I think this person is not only being arrogant and rude, but is trolling all of us.

I have a Guardian, “Retreat” is extremely useful for getting around, and it’s just one utility slot. Doesn’t require a target either. The GS’s leap ability doesn’t require a target and it has a fairly low cooldown and much longer distance than Blink does.

(edited by Lazure.6358)

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

That doesn’t make Blink any more relevant for covering ground, nor does ‘a pretty high chance’ mean anything reliable – and again, relying on Chaos Storm would mean having to equip a staff just for movement. No, thanks. See below.

You can trait for perma vigor, so you can dodge roll all thekittentime. […] You could pick up 6 Centaur Runes and use Mirror for almost perma Swiftness, no weapon swap required…..

You probably missed the several times I wrote that I don’t care for having to use workarounds or even rune for swiftness or passive movement speed when all other professions get at least one direct slot skill for it, traits and other workarounds not even included.

Once and for all, EasymodeX: Whether the issue can be worked around with a lot of effort is besides the point. The point being that we should not have to work around it if no other profession has to.

(edited by Endolex.8327)

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Lol, so you have the options and you choose not to use them. And yet you can still use Blink to help get around. And you choose not to use that. So sad.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Guardians have access to jump forwards and swiftness providing utilities.

All 3 of these abilites require a target, which would generally put you into combat and be rather counter-productive.

Oh man, I’m guessing you haven’t been to the Straights yet or Sea of Sorrows? Get to level 80 bro!

The GS one doesn’t. I’ll just presume you are ignoring everything else I said because you know I am right and can’t argue against it (hard to argue when the truth is laid out in front of you like that I know).

I’m guessing you can’t count because that is 2 zones out of how many? If those are the only places you can come up with then I guess I overestimated how useful water travel speed for Mesmer was and considering that in my overestimation it was still pretty bad then that is saying something.

I just can’t believe how stupid you are.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Lol, so you have the options and you choose not to use them. And yet you can still use Blink to help get around. And you choose not to use that. So sad.

How can you possibly think that a 70% chance (if that) of 5 sec swiftness on a 30 second cooldown even an option? why is using all our gear choices up to try and get it considered the same as a 10 point trait invest or equipping a utility skill?

in Mesmer

Lazure.6358

I wish Sigil of Speed still worked on critters. I used to be able to sigil a weapon with that and smack the rats and bunnies along the way for swiftness. That woulda been better than what we have now for Mesmers at least.

Also, ‘get to level 80 bro’? Really? So we’re just going to ignore those of us who still have mesmer at low levels and need this speed for , ya know, the low level content we need to level up through and complete first? Even if we wanted to dedicate our entire gear to movement (superior centaur runes), we can’t do that for 59 entire levels of gameplay…

By level 11, all other professions have some means of travelling quickly without going through absurd amount of trouble or insanely high cooldowns or otherwise just feeling sluggish 90% of the time. Mesmer doesn’t.

EasymodeX: You can laugh at us, spit in our faces, insult us, act like a prince all you want. Nothing’s going to change the TRUTH that you’re clearly ignoring for the sake of showing off how much of a sociopath you are.

(edited by Lazure.6358)

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Sub-80 doesn’t matter because you’ll be killing stuff along the way, removing most of the relevance of pure speed.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Sub-80 doesn’t matter because you’ll be killing stuff along the way, removing most of the relevance of pure speed.

Dear God we have been through this.

That is not true, general exploration of the map or getting to places in WvWvW does not involve a constant stream of enemies you have to kill.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

For PvE, yes it does if you’re actually leveling efficiently.

For WvW, it’s ok since you’re almost as fast, and Mesmers are overpowered in every aspect of WvW. Don’t need to be faster to boot.

Also, for all the above discussion:

Portal. GG.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Nope. Well, I can’t speak for you, but I don’t attack everything in sight with no DE or Renown Heart around to give me incentive. I move from place to place and do whatever’s needed, because XP rewards for just killing are abysmal, as ANet intended them to be.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Duh, fine crafting mats along the way. Also, hearts are more or less everywhere before Straits.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Yup, you can gather, you can do hearts, you can everything quite well – if you move quickly enough around the world. Circle complete, discussion over, at least on my part.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Duh, fine crafting mats along the way. Also, hearts are more or less everywhere before Straits.

HAVE YOU PLAYED THE GAME?

Dear God are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? At least make a bit of sense please I beg you.

Some people want to actually play and enjoy the game and you know explore. Not just rush to level 80 as fast as then splash about in the puddles in straits.

And we are not as fast as anybody in WvWvW, we have already shown you that is just blatantly false.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

If you’re playing the game and exploring, you’re stopping all the time to jump up rocks, fight mobs, interact with NPCs, and tons of other stuff that involves blink cooling down, or reducing the %age of time you spend doing raw movement.

Like I said, this topic is primarily for 100% map complete cruising. And if you’re trying for 100% complete, you will swap Focus and likely be picking up the cooldown for blink.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

I agree with EasymodeX on this. In PVE, being able to bypass pretty much every mob without fear of dying is priceless and helps to make up for the difference in land speed we have with other professions. (We may even come out ahead depending on the areas being explored.) I’ve played a thief with the 25% movement speed buff and it is indeed very nice but I still would not trade my mesmers ability to get around the map unhindered for it.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

It doesn’t matter how often you repeat it: Being able to dodge encounters has exactly nothing to do with moving faster (btw: I can outrun groups of Mobs without using any kind of dodging or movement boost. It’s beside the point altogether).

And I’m not stopping all the time and even at short distances a movement boost makes a huge difference. If that weren’t the case, NO profession would need any slot skill swiftness or Signet passive, remember? But strangely enough, all but us have something.
This is my firsthand gaming experience after having tried all other professions – fact is that I feel the slowest and most limited in that regard with Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

@Carighan: Although think that would be a step in the right direction it wouldn’t really solve the problem, but be more like additional icing on the non-existent cake.
There’d still be no traits or dedicated Signets for ooc-movement, and I don’t really like to depend on random boons for something other professions can do reliably. :/

If reliable runspeed increases are added to all classes, they might as well be added to no classes (and base runspeed increased).

I don’t see what you say as a solution. I would see adding passive runspeed to us as another symptom of an issue which needs a fix (too much access to runspeed for many classes, us excluded but sitll, issue is an issue).

It’s ok if Thieves get +25%, it’s very unique for them. Why does everyone else need 10%, again?
If world-size is an issue, they could just bump base speed and nerf all 10% runspeeds.

But I don’t want to end up having to waste a sigil just so I can keep up with people running away. That effectively makes for cold war, we all lose 1 utility slot for our runspeed sigils, and we all have to use them, since everyone else has them.

Not a good solution. Not a solution at all, tbh.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

@Carighan: Although think that would be a step in the right direction it wouldn’t really solve the problem, but be more like additional icing on the non-existent cake.
There’d still be no traits or dedicated Signets for ooc-movement, and I don’t really like to depend on random boons for something other professions can do reliably. :/

If reliable runspeed increases are added to all classes, they might as well be added to no classes (and base runspeed increased).

I don’t see what you say as a solution. I would see adding passive runspeed to us as another symptom of an issue which needs a fix (too much access to runspeed for many classes, us excluded but sitll, issue is an issue).

It’s ok if Thieves get +25%, it’s very unique for them. Why does everyone else need 10%, again?
If world-size is an issue, they could just bump base speed and nerf all 10% runspeeds.

But I don’t want to end up having to waste a sigil just so I can keep up with people running away. That effectively makes for cold war, we all lose 1 utility slot for our runspeed sigils, and we all have to use them, since everyone else has them.

Not a good solution. Not a solution at all, tbh.

I could live with that kind of ‘cold war’, because I don’t claim that movement speed is always the highest priority for everyone. All I want is at least a single option in slot skills to choose from like other professions are able to.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

I really abuse Blink for exploration. But I try to save it incase I come across a situation where I need to use it to escape. Don’t forget our focus offhand has a veil that can increase your movement speed.

Anyways, I don’t find it a big problem. We’re already awesome enough without movement speed buffs.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

I can’t believe people are actually against this change. As said back on the first page I believe this basically the same as another MMO randomly deciding that one of the classes can’t use mounts.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Somna.5168

Somna.5168

I can’t believe people are actually against this change. As said back on the first page I believe this basically the same as another MMO randomly deciding that one of the classes can’t use mounts.

To some of us, there’s a big difference between complaining about not having a 10-25% run speed bonus and not having a 60-100+% run speed bonus. :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aimeryan.1247

Aimeryan.1247

All I can say is, it led to situations where I found it difficult to do things with a friend of another class, or it caused him to have to wait around for me. Me and my friend could have had more fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kubetz.3058

kubetz.3058

All I can say is, it led to situations where I found it difficult to do things with a friend of another class, or it caused him to have to wait around for me. Me and my friend could have had more fun.

Ask him to change his weapons/traits/utilities to help to speed things up a bit by giving swiftness also to you if it is that important and/or use focus offhand and blink. Also remind him kindly that you may not be the Usain Bolt of GW2, but you are a proud owner of Portal which he will love everytime you will be doing jumping puzzles and he will be too tired to jump properly and other skills he will surely love.

Of course I would love mesmers to be faster than they are, but I’m bit afraid that arguing in the style of “Profession X, Y, Z can do that, so we want to do that too” and getting what we want with that argument may result in some kind of precedence leading to profession normalization. Other professions may then want to have something close to our nice elites, Portal, stealth abilities, etc. and I’m not really fan of that. Maybe that is just me being paranoid, but I love “having my niche” even if it means being slower.

(edited by kubetz.3058)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shaar.8496

Shaar.8496

Hint : open inventory. Double click on focus. Speed buff. Double click on your original weapon. Rinse. Repeat. Problem solved.

in Mesmer

Levetty.1279

Ask him to change his weapons/traits/utilities to help to speed things up a bit by giving swiftness also to you if it is that important and/or use focus offhand and blink. Also remind him kindly that you may not be the Usain Bolt of GW2, but you are a proud owner of Portal which he will love everytime you will be doing jumping puzzles and he will be too tired to jump properly and other skills he will surely love.

Of course I would love mesmers to be faster than they are, but I’m bit afraid that arguing in the style of “Profession X, Y, Z can do that, so we want to do that too” and getting what we want with that argument may result in some kind of precedence leading to profession normalization. Other professions may then want to have something close to our nice elites, Portal, stealth abilities, etc. and I’m not really fan of that. Maybe that is just me being paranoid, but I love “having my niche” even if it means being slower.

But why should classes have their out of combat exploration ability be balanced around their in combat ability?

in Mesmer

kubetz.3058

But why should classes have their out of combat exploration ability be balanced around their in combat ability?

I’m not aware of the existance of “out of combat exploration” labels for any skills/traits in the game, but I may be just unknowledgeable. Drawing an artificial line between something you would like to have improved and the rest is not really solving my concerns because everybody can do that in a way that helps his case.

I have nothing against players that want to have mesmers improved, I just don’t like “but profession X can do that so mesmers should be able to do that” type of argument as explained above.

I’m not native english speaker so I hope I’m clear.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

@kubetz:

“but profession X can do that so mesmers should be able to do that” type of argument

I don’t mind that thieves and elementalists can have 25%. I’m not aiming that high. My point is: Every profession but the Mesmer has some reliable slot skill way to improve movement.

but you are a proud owner of Portal which he will love everytime you will be doing jumping puzzles

You can’t be serious, of course. The use of the Mesmer Portal is VERY situational at best in PvE, and Jumping Puzzles are neither something I focus on nor can they be compared to general movement (which you do, like, all the time).

I’m not aware of the existance of “out of combat exploration” labels for any skills/traits in the game

This line isn’t “artificial”, it’s factual. We have no reliable slot skill for generally moving faster or gaining swiftness out of combat, while all other professions do. Being able to generally move faster improves nearly all aspects of the game – outside of combat, where you usually don’t have to cover ground quickly. And it’s especially interesting for a certain Signet of Inspiration which sometimes grants swiftness but only works IN combat now.

Shar:

Hint : open inventory. Double click on focus. Speed buff. Double click on your original weapon. Rinse. Repeat. Problem solved.

No. I mentioned above why Focus 4 doesn’t count for me. Depending / limiting yourself to a certain weapon for this won’t cut it when no other profession has to. It’s far easier to swap a slot skill than having to reorganize your weapon sets just for movement benefits.

(edited by Endolex.8327)

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Maybe I should make a concrete suggestion. These two changes to Signet of Inspiration would make me happy:

1) I’d readily give up the swiftness buff in the “random” list of buffs in combat if
2) a passive (always active) movement bonus of at least 10% was added.

Anyone opposed?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

I really do not understand your allergic reaction to Focus. Most swiftness relative to their cool downs give you a 33-50% uptime. Warhorn for warriors being pretty beast at 10/20s. Ranger warhorn is 15/35s, Necros with theirs get 10/30s. Temporal Certain granting 10/25s is actually pretty good.

Also, the Phantasm you get from it is pretty fantastic, the AoE pull Into the Void is one of the best skills Mesmers have for control, PvE or WvW.

Necromancers have pretty kitten for mobility, they do get Spectral Walk but that is a terrible skill and there is no reason to grab it other than for the Swiftness buff. Mesmers can trait their blink to be 24s, 1200 range AND have a decent off-hand to use for swiftness. You’re not a thief but you’re far from the worst off in terms of mobility.

Everyone else is fine with keeping another set just for the speed buff, not all weapons that grant swiftness across all classes are appealing as an in-combat set. But I amkittensure Focus for Mesmers sure is a solid one.

Mesmers already have everything jesus, if this is the biggest complaint you have about the class, first world problem to the max.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

I really do not understand your allergic reaction to Focus.

I like Focus, for a lot of reasons. It’s just not the only off-hand I like. Also, I sure don’t want to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of weapon skills across professions here. This is about movement slot skills.

Everyone else is fine with keeping another set just for the speed buff

Speak for yourself. I’m definitely not fine with it, and judging from this thread, I’m not the only one.

Mesmers already have everything jesus, if this is the biggest complaint you have about the class, first world problem to the max.

Well, we might have everything in PvP, I seriously don’t know, because I just don’t do PvP. (But from what I hear, Confusion is actually worth akittenthere, because players use skills much faster than AI mobs).
I continue to feel rather weak in PvE, having to struggle with specific weapon sets and rotations to achieve just barely the same results like I got when just randomly equipping weapons and facerolling other profession I played. And groups of normal mobs are a big problem, especially in Personal Story.
So lacking movement speed as well is the tip of the iceberg, but the most obvious whenever I return to playing Mesmer after having played another profession. The thing is that the movement issue could be fixed quite easily the way I suggested above.

(edited by Endolex.8327)

in Mesmer

kubetz.3058

but you are a proud owner of Portal which he will love everytime you will be doing jumping puzzles

You can’t be serious, of course. The use of the Mesmer Portal is VERY situational at best in PvE, and Jumping Puzzles are neither something I focus on nor can they be compared to general movement (which you do, like, all the time).

Good guess! That was my reply to Aimeryan for “doing things with a friend” in PvE hence the quote and there is a smiley at the end. It was definitely not a serious response to your post.

I have no objections against your suggestions, but maybe you should edit your first post and put your suggestions there to making it look more constructive, because “feels underpowered to me in many other way” and “his seems like just another hobbling flaw” and are making it unnecessarily look just like another QQ.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Well, I’m not immune to QQing about PvE Mesmer in general (see post above), but you’re right, it belongs somewhere else. Will edit the post, thank you!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Maybe I should make a concrete suggestion. These two changes to Signet of Inspiration would make me happy:

1) I’d readily give up the swiftness buff in the “random” list of buffs in combat if
2) a passive (always active) movement bonus of at least 10% was added.

Anyone opposed?

I have a better idea. Allow illusions to exist outside of combat and then you can use Compounding Celerity. It would also get rid of those annoying “you must have a target” messages.

I really do not understand your allergic reaction to Focus. Most swiftness relative to their cool downs give you a 33-50% uptime. Warhorn for warriors being pretty beast at 10/20s. Ranger warhorn is 15/35s, Necros with theirs get 10/30s. Temporal Certain granting 10/25s is actually pretty good.

Also, the Phantasm you get from it is pretty fantastic, the AoE pull Into the Void is one of the best skills Mesmers have for control, PvE or WvW.

Necromancers have pretty kitten for mobility, they do get Spectral Walk but that is a terrible skill and there is no reason to grab it other than for the Swiftness buff. Mesmers can trait their blink to be 24s, 1200 range AND have a decent off-hand to use for swiftness. You’re not a thief but you’re far from the worst off in terms of mobility.

Everyone else is fine with keeping another set just for the speed buff, not all weapons that grant swiftness across all classes are appealing as an in-combat set. But I amkittensure Focus for Mesmers sure is a solid one.

Warriors also have a beast of a swiftness elite in SoR (30s/60s). A warrior with a warhorn and that can be very mobile (+33% for 40/60s), plus SoR is awesome in combat, too.

Necros also have Hungering Thirst and Speed of Shadows and can be quite fast if they want. True Thirst requires at least one dagger, and SoS requires lifeforce, but don’t assume they will always be slow. I agree, though, I prefer the mesmers mobility over the necro’s because it does require some other resources from the necro.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

kubetz.3058

I continue to feel rather weak in PvE, having to struggle with specific weapon sets and rotations to achieve just barely the same results like I got when just randomly equipping weapons and facerolling other profession I played. And groups of normal mobs are a big problem, especially in Personal Story.

Have a look here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/104qhj/re_mesmers_in_orr_no_seriously_its_fine/ .

There are a lot of mesmers than don’t feel weak in PvE. Maybe the playstyle is just not for you or your approach to the profession is suboptimal. Mesmer is a profession with playstyle that won’t suit everybody’s taste.

(edited by kubetz.3058)

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

I have a better idea. Allow illusions to exist outside of combat and then you can use Compounding Celerity. It would also get rid of those annoying “you must have a target” messages.

While I certainly like the idea of summoning illusions at will and independently from enemies, I’m not sure many players would like having to run around with three fellows + having to trait for faster movement. Also, being able to summon-at-will would touch many balancing issues (for example, being able to prepare a shatter ahead of combat might be a very tough nuke in PvP).

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Have a look here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/104qhj/re_mesmers_in_orr_no_seriously_its_fine/ .

There are a lot of mesmers than don’t feel weak in PvE. Maybe the playstyle is just not for you or your approach to the profession is suboptimal. Mesmer is a profession with playstyle that won’t suit everybody’s taste.

The video for the comments on reddit is only about PvP, as far as I can see. But yes, this belongs somewhere else.

in Mesmer

kubetz.3058

The video for the comments on reddit is only about PvP, as far as I can see. But yes, this belongs somewhere else.

Last time I checked the video was showing big pulls in Orr and most of the comments are about PvE. There are multiple videos showing bigger pulls (this one, MrPrometheus and partially the one mentioned in the linked video) and everybody is using different build so I guess it shows that mesmers are not that bad in that area and you don’t have to run with single build to be able to successfully pull that off.

You are right, it is offtopic and I’m sorry, but I cannot help myself when I see players thinking mesmers are very weak. The profession has its problems and need some polishing, but it is not THAT bad.

in Mesmer

Endolex.8327

Started a new thread about this, asking for constructive comments. You’re invited!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

While I certainly like the idea of summoning illusions at will and independently from enemies, I’m not sure many players would like having to run around with three fellows + having to trait for faster movement. Also, being able to summon-at-will would touch many balancing issues (for example, being able to prepare a shatter ahead of combat might be a very tough nuke in PvP).

Not sure how that would work. Illusions summoned before combat would not have targets, so you couldn’t direct the nuke at anyone. It would just be 1-3 illusions shattering where they stand. Distortion could be primed effectively, though, if you time it right.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Not sure how that would work. Illusions summoned before combat would not have targets, so you couldn’t direct the nuke at anyone. It would just be 1-3 illusions shattering where they stand.

Thats not true. They just need to add in targeting to the Shatters.

If Clones do not have targets, then use the Mesmer’s target. If the Mesmer doesn’t have an enemy target, target closest aggressive enemy.

Kinda like how when I hit an attack button currently and targeting an ally or no one at all, it will turn me towards the closest enemy and throw my attack at it.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

in Mesmer

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Guardians can keep swift up for a majority of the time and have leaping moves. Warriors can have 100% swift uptime, I’ve seen warriors stack swift up to 2 minutes(they also have leap moves). Thieves are obviously the fastest passive runners(without investing traits) and even faster investing traits in stealth move speed. Elementalists rival the speed of a thief but need to trait a bit into it. Ranger gets a 10% movement speed + uses warhorn for a swift that can be extended to near 20 seconds (I main a ranger, my swift lasts 16 1/2 seconds and I could extend it longer), also with the sword off hand I can make a huge leap every couple seconds, add a Greatsword and thats another huge leap every(7?) seconds.

While ranger is also forced to use a certain offhand to get his swift buff, it’s actually probably the best offhand. Whereas the Mesmer is forced to use a focus, for a pitiful 10 second swift, while other offhands are arguably better, or easily preferred by different players.

I’ll admit I know absolutely nothing about Necros.

I’ve been playing Mesmer lately(up to lvl 60) and I pretty much only play in WvW. The only thing I’ve hated about the class is the poor mobility. Mobility is so important in WvW. Sometimes I get so tired of being sokittenslow that I just go back on my Ranger(even though I love everything else about Mesmer).

BTW, you talk so much about our teleport and clones.. I’d like to see you outrun any smart person who isn’t fooled by clones playing either a thief, elementalist or warrior. It won’t happen. Your little teleport only gets you so far then has a 30 second CD, even using the focus swift any of those classes can easily catch up to you before either blink or curtain are off CD.

So in WvW confronted by a zerg that you need to run from, pretty much any other class has a good chance of getting away. While the mesmer only has a chance if the zerg is full of complete morons who stop to attack your dodge roll or stealth clones.(not trying to say this never happens, I actually get away a lot based on that).

Btw, I also agree with the other people in this topic that you could try to disagree without acting like such an arrogant jerk, then maybe people would actually listen to your argument.

Oh btw, my Ranger is also faster underwater then the Mesmer. With 10% passive, a charging move(like mesmer #2) and elite to add 33% more movement speed. Thief is also very fast underwater for several reason.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

(edited by dank.3680)

in Mesmer

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Focus offhand + Blink is a must at least for map exploration