Mesmer as a class is ...

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Narsil.6579

Narsil.6579

My favorite, I first picked up the class after trying out ele and dropping my guardian main a long time ago. Currently have around 2300 hours on my mesmer alone. I really love this class for its unique abilities to counter a lot of other classes.

The fault for me is that the class itself relies too much on phantasms and clones as a whole. I know its the mechanism driving the class. Although this is what the class is, it is a blessing and a burden. Fighting thieves in the middle of mobs can be a pain, my duelist or zerker will go kill everything else while the thief bursts me down and i have to keep shattering or kiting. Without the phantasms, I have almost no damage to directly burst, there is shatter but usually if the player is smart he can avoid the damage.

Alot of the times people argue that we are easy mode because of our phantasms or clone condition bomb. Althought i try to play to please others at times ( not use PU , or pure phant, or etc on a duel cus easy mode’) even if I win, I get told that its because I am a mesmer and therefore I am OP and unbalanced.

I would gladly give up my phantasms and clones for other skillset, not necessarily get rid of them but use them differently:

Instead of having actual phantasms up all the time, have a skill for example:
Illusionary Berzerker would instead go like this :

Create an illusion of yourself that uses a whirling attack to damage and cripple foes (30% chance to apply vulnerabilty on crit)
Damage Damage (4x): 196 (0.55)
Crippled: 1 s
Range: 1,200

after the berserker goes through it disappears and the skill would revert to a normal GS attack and one would have a timer or cd to resummon the illusion like in the old days with mana. Basically phantasms would be a special attack or effect similar to the warriors adrenaline specials.

Even still I do acknowledge ,that doing so would be very hard or impossible, as it would be reworking completely the mesmer class, but this is my opinion.

Please leave thoughts or comments.

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stormfell.9405

Stormfell.9405

I think clones are fine but since phantasms are so core to our damage, they should be act almost like a turret. Like let them be ground cast and then have them time out after a round or two of their attacks. I think this would really help with how clunky our aoe can be to use in zerg events. Or maybe even change targeting slightly on Berserker to be like a Warrior’s Bladetrail (I think that’s what it’s called) so the direction of the spin can be controlled a bit more.

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

All classes I’ve lost against are clearly overpowered. All classes I’ve lost with are clearly underpowered. Therefore, all classes are overpowered and underpowered at the same time.

(Okay, I admit I did not play all the classes vs other players yet, but that doesn’t change my point.)

And to also provide the answer to the seemingly absurd statement I’ve made above: Skill. That, and the situation.

But yeah, crying overpowered or underpowered is so much easier than thinking about what went wrong and how to become more skilled.

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

I love mesmer too and all but I like it the way it is.

I just wish Confusion would be a stronger aspect of the class in WvW and PvE coz it’s really underpowered right now. Even in PvP It’s not great anymore.

Mesmer’s damage in PvE in general isn’t the best either.

And I know this is wishful thinking but I wish my clones & phantasms would stay around me even when out of combat, until destroyed or shattered. More like a Necro’s minions. (Or like a Ritualist’s spirits in GW1 with a duration but then they should follow you.)
It would be kitten running around with 3 clones of myself. puts on sunglasses OH YEAHH.

Anyway, I think mesmer as a class is fine. They’re not underpowered or overpowered. They got their weaknesses and their strengths.

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I would be interested in an option of swapping all phantasm summon skills for normal player skills, and play only with clones.

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

As someone who has one of each class (fully exotic geared minimum), and plays 7 of those 8 regularly (ugh rangers…), Mesmers just feel like they are closest to being “good” balance-wise of any class.

Mag Server Leader

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

As someone who has one of each class (fully exotic geared minimum), and plays 7 of those 8 regularly (ugh rangers…), Mesmers just feel like they are closest to being “good” balance-wise of any class.

Warriors you mean warriors… Mesmer as a class is somewhat balanced, PvE we can come close to warriors and guardians in terms of damage and sustain, in pvp though, we got PU aside from that in 1v1 anything can work, but roaming or group play , even zerg play, our flaws start to show, I won’t say we aren’t able to be useful, but in terms of balance and usefulness, we do need some rework,

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

I would be interested in an option of swapping all phantasm summon skills for normal player skills, and play only with clones.

Omg imagine if our leap was normal and we could leap without a target. What I want is Anet to stop making us an inbetweener, we are not fully an enchanter class and not fully a melee class, we are in between, I would gladly give up my phantasms and clones for more actual skilful fun play. For example gw1 hexes as buffs and debuffs, while having phantasms and clones and specials and effects. For example when we do a certain hex or skill or spell , we have access to create 3 clones that look exatcly like us and for 2 secs they will copy our every move, once those 2 seconds are up they disappear and during those 2 secs we can apply direct damage (auto attack) or a debuff )apply weakness or poison or burn, but then switch to another hex that would give us might and grant 1 phantasm based on our weapon type and that phantasm would do 2 cycles of damage and disappear. Its an idea but it would make gameplay way more fun and i would feel like i am an actual “illusionist” not just someone with pets that have better Ai then ranger and more damage.

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Warriors you mean warriors… Mesmer as a class is somewhat balanced, PvE we can come close to warriors and guardians in terms of damage and sustain, in pvp though, we got PU aside from that in 1v1 anything can work, but roaming or group play , even zerg play, our flaws start to show, I won’t say we aren’t able to be useful, but in terms of balance and usefulness, we do need some rework,

I do fine in roaming/group/or even zerg play. I don’t veilbot for people or portal their golems either.

Mag Server Leader

Mesmer as a class is ...

in Mesmer

Narsil.6579

I do fine in roaming/group/or even zerg play. I don’t veilbot for people or portal their golems either.

same but usually for zerg play i give up PU, it is good, but when you fighting in lots of AoE and CC , those small sec of regen or stealth wont help, I usually run more bunker with either gs staff and stuff

[HP/MM]Mesmer / Warrior
Borlis Noob / FergPug
Scout Sailor Moon