Mesmer in PvE?

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: LATVIAN.7853

LATVIAN.7853

Hi
I know Mesmer is good in PvP but how does it perform in pve?
Is it hard to level ad take down opponents with a Mesmer in PvE?
What are their main weaknesses in PvE?

Any insight you could give me is appreciated
Thank You

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Errtan.4526

Errtan.4526

I have enjoyed my mesmer so far and aren’t having too many problems. The need to be really mobile though certainly causes some issues if you’re trying to kill things in a highly populated area. Can’t just stand there and slug it out..
I keep hearing that lvl 40 is some magical number that PvE becomes a lot better after, but I enjoy the mesmer and really don’t ahve many issues with soloing various veterans and D/E mobs unless they summon a lot of adds.

I suppose to actually answer your points:
I personally haven’t found it hard to level, but I am new.. Once I learned to actually use my 6-9 skills a lot that helped.
main weaknesses? What I’ve found is large packs of mobs with both melee and ranged tends to really eff me up. That and trying to fight veterans/bosses in tight spaces. Lots of melee is simple just round em up, pack them in, iberserker-chaos storm- clones – bounce around winds of chaos, etc. etc.

(edited by Errtan.4526)

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: LATVIAN.7853

LATVIAN.7853

Ok thanks for the response.

How are you finding their damage output vs mobs though?

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: PLUR.3086

PLUR.3086

scepter/pistol, staff wise use of conditions and clones makes the mesmer handle mobs well i like to think

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Errtan.4526

Errtan.4526

Ok thanks for the response.

How are you finding their damage output vs mobs though?

Depends really, sometimes I’m shocked at how fast things die, other times I find myself taking a long time even on a single mob.
I am leveling right now with GS/staff, and I will get to range, hurl a mirror blade, cast up a iberserker, #3, auto, and after the berserker finishes they’re already dead! Or with particularly large mobs I might open with staff, #2, mirror image, and the 4 of us burn it down with conditions before it even gets close. If it DOES get close, chaos storm and shatter, if they’re STILL in your face switch to GS to blast them back, berserker, etc. etc. etc.
Like I said I don’t have a lot of experience and while mesmer certianly isn’t “charge in hundred blades dead!”, I have a lot of fun dancing around the mobs, watching them lumber off after an illusion while getting blasted i nthe back of the head, blinking away from trouble, decoying, etc. It’s a very active and involved and FUN profession.

*edit for spelling

(edited by Errtan.4526)

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Yeah, it’s not actually hard to PvE as we have a very good survivability. It’s just not as easy and quick as with other classes. The only thing that’s really broken is the efficiency while farming dynamic events, but that’s something that’ll probably be solved by the upcoming changes to how dynamic events scale anyway.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

with mesmer you will probably take down enemies slower than other classes in PVE, but you are almost untouchable because of the illusions you pull out, mobs seem to have a liking for illusions.

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I have to ask, are you coating your illusions in bacon grease and cat nip, then having them hold tacos and booze? Mobs tend to walk right past my clones and come strait after me. They do usually go out of their way to swat my phantasms though.

I have a lvl 35 Mes and that i have only used in PVE so far, my damage output seems adequate I am traitng and building equips for condition damage and crits with a staff. I haven’t settled on what my other weapon set will be but so far I like playing my Mes my main is a Guardian and it’s a completely different way to play.

If only there was a way to get my clones to hold dirty magazines…

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

You might be better off throwing out a clone then phantasm in quick succession (easy with staff/GS) and keeping distance as mobs aggro based on the proximity of a damage-dealer. This is why, more so with staff and sword main hand, mobs will go after you rather than the phantasm- you have dealt more damage and are the same distance or closer than your phantasm.

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Ok knowing aggro priority helps. I will keep that in mind chances are I got too close to the mob then.

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I went with sword/focus and sword/pistol for pve as I was leveling. I killed things just fine. You can do staff but I enjoyed doing a rotation of using Phantasmal Duelist and Phantasmal Warden when the other was on cool down.

Mesmer in PvE?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

I was using Sword/Pistol and GS when leveling. I have to say, once I hit 80 and put 30 points into Illusions trait path and picked up the trait that makes Shatters also activate on you, Mesmer is very quick at clearing monsters.

Early on, I kind of agree. They lack a lot of burst damage early on since a lot of it comes through traits, while other classes have a bit higher base damage. However, on long bosses, summoning 3 Phantasms is quite a bit better DPS than other classes can pull off.