Mesmer is the slowest class out there...

in Mesmer

Posted by: MegaBUD.2097

MegaBUD.2097

10 sec swiftness every 30 sec… give me a break… i cant stand it anymore…

I have no clue how you guys can do 1-80… im 41 and thats it for me…

I would believe that a master of illusion would run a little faster.

Good luck guys… this class was rushed for release and they arent working on it… at all…

See you on the battlefield.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Mesmers obviously need a signet with 10% passive runspeed!

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ki Bear Punk.6174

Ki Bear Punk.6174

Good luck to you my friend.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mark Andrade.3076

Mark Andrade.3076

I enjoy the pace at which the Mesmer plays.

New Age Soup – Sylvari Mesmer
@newagesoup

in Mesmer

Posted by: MegaBUD.2097

MegaBUD.2097

I enjoy the pace at which the Mesmer plays.

Did you ever play another class? im not asking something as awesome than a signet with 25% runspeed…

Honestly im not asking for anything… the mantra are terrible… class is slow… damage arent on par with the rest… and the whole “haha im a troll” dont win fights…

The only thing mesmer are good at is being in the down state… than you have access to the best Phantasm…

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Mantras are great, the class has insane mobility in combat, the damage is obscene.

And you can still “haha I’m a troll” while doing all of the above.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

The only thing mesmer are good at is being in the down state… than you have access to the best Phantasm…

It’s not because you’re good at being down that other mesmers are..

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

The original post was an obvious rage rant, but this just strips away any credibility. Either you just want to complain, or you don’t know what a mesmer is about. If you just want to whack things and put up some mindless numbers, then go warrior (seems it would be more to your level). The mesmer has a lot going for it and I’m killing with mine.

P.S. I suggest you look at my signature and take that to heart.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

I have to wonder what you are building to be so slow. The only ‘slow’ I see from my mesmer is a difference in movement speed when traversing maps, and there are ways you can stack effect rotations to keep yourself sprinting for quite a while + blinking.

Damage wise… I don’t know what’s wrong with your build but if you’re lacking in damage you need to study what dictates a Mesmer’s damage and how you wish to deal it. (Burst? Conditions? From you or from the phantasms?)

You’re free to leave the class as you chose, but I can’t shake the feeling that you haven’t tapped the potential of the class, and in failing to do so you found it slow. If you’d like we can go over builds/equipment etc with you and help ya spruce up your Mesmer game a bit.

But the first question that needs to be answered is “What are you looking for in a Mesmer?”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Mantras are great, the class has insane mobility in combat, the damage is obscene.

And you can still “haha I’m a troll” while doing all of the above.

Agree.

If you play a mesmer well, you seriously feel like Neo when you are fighting. I was doing WvW yesterday, my team smaller fighting against a big zerg and it was awesome.

I got in range of the zerg, popped iZerker, mirror blade, switched to 1Hsword, popped iWarden, feedback the zerg. Then I dodge rolled in which spawned a clone, iLeap and swap, blurred frenzy, evade, mind wrack, , get rooted blink away, zerg on me so I pop mirror image, evade and immediately pop distortion. Got three seconds invuln from that and got away scot free.

No other class I have played has that awesome feeling where you can just run into a zerg like the matrix do a ton of damage and get out before they knew what hit them…maybe thief can, but I don’t think they would have the style that mesmer has.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

I was jumped by a quickness PW Thief in WvW, and we traded his double PW for my Blurred Frenzy.

Mesmers are lols.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabbathius.1465

Sabbathius.1465

Some people don’t get what “mobility” means, I guess.

Let me give you an example – my Engineer has 100%+ swiftness uptime. In and out of combat. How? Simple. Medkit #5 is 10 sec swiftness, 20 sec CD. Switching to any kit adds 5 seconds of swiftness. So, switch to MedKit +5 seconds, pop #5 +10 seconds = 15 seconds of swiftness. From there on, switch kits or just refresh the medkit every once in a while, and you have a 10-15 sec swiftness buff throughout. And that’s on top of the leap attack, the backward leap attack, etc., etc. Thief is similar, only with a simple signet you have a permanent +25% with zero thought required.

Now, Mesmer CAN sort of get the same thing. You just have to use the Focus offhand, use Runes of the Centaur, and use the weakest heal we got. Quite a tradeoff, for something other classes do either passively or with minimum amount of work.

And then there’s “mobility” that people say we got a lot of. But those are really just short range displacements. For example, Staff #2, can be 5 sec CD. And it’s a backward leap of about 3 steps worth. When it works and doesn’t shove you underground or through the wall or up a nearby dolyak’s rear. Is it mobility? I guess. Is it more mobility than say a Thief spamming HS? Doubtful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drakh.3128

Drakh.3128

Now, Mesmer CAN sort of get the same thing. You just have to use the Focus offhand, use Runes of the Centaur, and use the weakest heal we got. Quite a tradeoff, for something other classes do either passively or with minimum amount of work.

Don’t forget that the mesmer’s focus swiftness buff overwrites all other swiftness buffs instead of stacking in duration as all other swiftness buffs work. So if you a have a warrior and guardian granting swiftness, it can often stack up to a minute or more, until they run over the mesmer’s temporal curtain, then regardless of how much time they had, it’s now just 10 seconds.

- Drakh (BT)
- Blackgate

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

Mesmers are slow because its one of the ONLY weeknesses this class has in pvp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoner.1765

Zoner.1765

I’ll tolerate the run speed disavantage as long as I can pull people off walls, off bridges, and toward my warband.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Whiskyjumper.6190

Whiskyjumper.6190

Creslin.1758

Agree.
If you play a mesmer well, you seriously feel like Neo when you are fighting. I was doing WvW yesterday, my team smaller fighting against a big zerg and it was awesome.
I got in range of the zerg, popped iZerker, mirror blade, switched to 1Hsword, popped iWarden, feedback the zerg. Then I dodge rolled in which spawned a clone, iLeap and swap, blurred frenzy, evade, mind wrack, , get rooted blink away, zerg on me so I pop mirror image, evade and immediately pop distortion. Got three seconds invuln from that and got away scot free.
No other class I have played has that awesome feeling where you can just run into a zerg like the matrix do a ton of damage and get out before they knew what hit them…maybe thief can, but I don’t think they would have the style that mesmer has.

Man you sure make it sound fun. I wish that I could pull off half of that. I love the Mesmer class. I think it’s my favorite, but I can’t play it very well. I keep finding myself thinking about quitting it but I really want to get good at it. I’m only around lvl 20 but I die rather quickly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Well, when you’re leveling you can stick a Sigil of Speed on a weapon, 5 seconds of swiftness per kill, very handy when leveling up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

@Whiskyjumper: Early levels are tough, it will get better at higher level. Don’t give up yet. Though I don’t know anything about 60+ content, so I can’t say anything about that.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Mesmer

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

I think Mesmer is fine (save that non-stackable swiftness bug). So other classes have greater passive speed generation, but I can live with that. The amount of distractions, stealths, and work-arounds going from point A to point B through dozens of mobs in Orr is just simply great in of itself. I can transverse the Orrian zones with much greater ease then my friend’s thief with 25% movement speed, sometimes avoiding enemies altogether with Blink.

Knowledge is power.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ki Bear Punk.6174

Ki Bear Punk.6174

Oh man who ever cares about swiftness.. I was playing till lvl 60 without using focus and i`m fine.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ozzio.8024

Ozzio.8024

Lack of speed was the one that kept me from playing this class. In WvW you’re going to want one of your weapons to be 2h sword or staff for the range. This leaves you with one choice for an off hand and focus has the swiftness. I have never seen a mesmer with a torch or pistol in WvW.

Of the 3 offhands, focus has the worst phantasm. It does the most damage if you can find anyone dumb enough to stand next to it , but 99% of the time it just stands in place swinging at air. I really like both pistol and torch but just feel I cannot use them because you either have to give up 1200 range or your only speed buff. With no speed buff in WvW expect to be killed whenever you need to fall back.

I wouldn’t mind only having one option for swiftness if i was a ultility skill but don’t like it being on a weapon. So please swap it with a cruddy utility skill. Honestly you could probably make it an elite skill and everyone would still take it. . . =p

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lawbringer.1956

Lawbringer.1956

its really not a big deal at higher level

invest 20 points into the healing tree, and reduce the cooldown of focus skills, whill also making iWarden a beast

get the food that gives you 20% boon duration, and throw some points into the boon duration tree, this synergizes well with the spec because you get regeneration and protection passives

you can have swiftness up 13ish seconds every 20 seconds, and then use blink on cooldown to travel a bit further

and sorry, the mesmer cant afford to lose any utility slots like a thief, who can just 3 shot you whill remained in stealth, mesmer has to actually earn kills with carefull manipulation of illusions and lots and lots of kiting

(edited by Lawbringer.1956)

in Mesmer

Posted by: nidwin.6731

nidwin.6731

Clearly Mesmer isn’t for you OP, nothing wrong with it just stop being frustrated and roll a toon you’re going to enjoy more.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Mesmers obviously need a signet with 10% passive runspeed!

True! Then we could just remove them for everyone and increase base out-of-combat runspeed by 10%-15%.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: StSwfx.3754

StSwfx.3754

As they say you can’t have everything, unless you’re a thief.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

It is just the normal case of “A-net did balance around sPvP and don’t care about other modes”.

Yes when we are in fight we have one of the highest mobilitys and distration for the enemy. This is great in sPvP ppl barly can down me and if they do it still takes them 2-5 to kill me ( yes I don’t play much sPvP ppl still don’t look what they finish).

How ever in PvE and even more in WvW you are the slow duck. Out side of a fight all we got to get fast from point A to B is blink and temporal curtain. But the last one is bugged so if you use it in a WvW you will either make everyone walk slow becaus you reduce ther buff to 10sek or you fall behind becaus you don’t get the buffs others give. Combine that with both 1h weapons being a bit buggy and you get a pretty kitteny spot to be in when chased.
So again like other classes the mesmer suffers from the we focus on sPvP and care about everything later start A-net made.

Blub.

in Mesmer

Sabbathius.1465

Speed, and lack thereof, much like our lack of strong reliable on-demand AoE is what limits the Mesmer’s “earning potential”.

First, let us establish that Mesmer is NOT a fast, mobile class. Let’s just agree on that. By comparison, I present you my Engineer – with 10 trait points I’m taking anyway, I have permanent swiftness. Throw on top of that Super Speed (+100% speed boost for 5 seconds on 45 sec CD), and there’s nothing that can move this fast. Not even Thief who blows all his initiative on SB #5. Not long-term.

And before you ask, the reason I use Engineer as example is because I both play one, and they’re second least-played class next to Mesmer, so presumably underpowered/unfavoured.

Now, consider our lack of speed in WvW. If you die, you will spawn far from the fight. Meaning you will get back slower than other classes, unless those other classes help you. This is true. You CANNOT get from spawn back to fight as fast on a Mesmer as I can on my Engineer. This is easily provable and verifiable. This means your POTENTIAL to participate in the battle, and thus earn XP/loot/whatever is harmed severely.

Next, consider things you can do in WvW which earn you karma/XP/whatever and help your team? Most of them require high mobility. Like covert ops attacks at enemy supply lines. This is ideally done by thieves – high mobility, great escape ability. Mesmer can’t do it.

Etc., etc.

Now, consider something simple – like leveling. And getting 100% map discovery. You get XP from that too. As we’ve established, I can do that on Engi much faster than on a Mesmer. Thus, my XP/hr will be considerably higher, as you get XP from discovery as well. All else being equal, this means I will get my Legendary faster.

In other words, because we’re slow, our “earning potential”, both in terms of XP, loot, karma, etc., is seriously harmed. And though admittedly I did not look deep into this issue, I believe Mesmer is one of the slowest classes in the game, if not the slowest. We have some “displace” skills, but very little real mobility. We have to sacrifice far too much (like use Runes of the Centaur over others) to get the kind of mobility other classes get basically free.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

I think the mesmer as the slowest traveling class is a design decision, because they are the ones with portal.

Mesmers do have a passive speed boost, it’s just only available in combat when you have illusions up. At least on that end there are more or less on par with the rest.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

(save that non-stackable swiftness bug)

It’s not a bug. Because the Swiftness is associated with a ground object, if it stacked then you could walk over it rapidly and get 10 minutes worth of Swiftness just by stepping on it a bunch.

This leaves you with one choice for an off hand and focus has the swiftness. I have never seen a mesmer with a torch or pistol in WvW.

The reason you don’t see a Mesmer with Torch/Pistol/OHSw is because Into the Void is wtfbbqpwn. The Swiftness is icing.

Of the 3 offhands, focus has the worst phantasm. It does the most damage if you can find anyone dumb enough to stand next to it , but 99% of the time it just stands in place swinging at air.

Apparently I make a LOT of players very dumb using Into the Void and iLeap/swap all the time.

You know what’s amazing? Pulling the whole combo off perfectly, and watching someone eat 8k from my Blurred Frenzy and 7k from iWarden at the same time.

You know what else is funny? Most downed players can’t run away from iWarden. How’s that for lulz?

It is just the normal case of “A-net did balance around sPvP and don’t care about other modes”.

Correct. If ANet balanced for WvW, Mesmers would be instantly nerfed in about 8 different ways. As it is, I fully expect at least 4 or so Mesmer nerfs in the next month or two.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

Wow, you always in a rush? I don’t care much about running 10% faster, but I do use the focus curtain when I want to zip through mobs in an alleyway or cave just to get the POI badge or to escape. Just get the speed signet for your weapon if it matters that much.

Speaking of which, the speed boost with daggers on my necro doesn’t seem to work. lol must be part of the 97 bugs it has.

PS- I put the warden to very good use.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

(edited by Teknobug.3782)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Don’t give up, Whisky! It’s a hard class to learn, but you reap some serious benefits when you can pull off said "Neo"ness

in Mesmer

Sabbathius.1465

Dude, I HONESTLY don’t mean to pick on you, but for some reason your posts make me smile every time.

It’s not a bug. Because the Swiftness is associated with a ground object, if it stacked then you could walk over it rapidly and get 10 minutes worth of Swiftness just by stepping on it a bunch.

Yes, it’s probably not a bug. In fact, it’s a likely side-effect of the Veil fix. Back in the day, you could dance back and forth over the Veil line to maintain near 85% stealth in combat, between it and other stealth abilities.

Trouble is, people will HATE you in WvW when you use Focus #4. They accidentally run over it, and boom, whatever swiftness they had is down to 10 seconds. Bug, not a bug. Either way, at some point you WILL be (hopefully politely) asked to keep your focus unused unless you’re pulling people off towers.

Apparently I make a LOT of players very dumb using Into the Void and iLeap/swap all the time.

Umm, yeah, they are. If a simple root is enough to get them killed.

You know what’s amazing? Pulling the whole combo off perfectly, and watching someone eat 8k from my Blurred Frenzy and 7k from iWarden at the same time.

You think 15k damage over 6 seconds (iWarden channel time) is good? Well, for a Mesmer maybe. Besides, correct me if I’m wrong but iLeap’s Swap is 2 sec root. Why would they stay for the full 5-6 second iWarden rotation?

You know what else is funny? Most downed players can’t run away from iWarden. How’s that for lulz?

Do you really need help to kill a downed player… Besides, most classes have ways of dealing with that. Warrior can just get up, engineer knockback (or even self-rally if he dropped Elixir R which you can do nothing about), thief teleport, mesmer blink, etc., etc.

I’ll admit pre-nerf iWarden was fairly godly. But against a player expecting just that when they see a Mesmer with a sword/focus? Come on now? Really? And it’s not like you don’t telegraph this WAY before it happens. First sword/focus come out. Then Into the Void appears. Then you have 5 seconds to use the pull or it’s gone. Very easy to counter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LanceLet.6428

LanceLet.6428

I agree a little bit with the slow movement. I think it kind of sucks that our only buff is when illusions are out (meaning in combat only pretty much). But I am working on 100% map completion, and I picked up a set of Centaur runes. I pop on mirror heal, and the Boon Duration Signet.. and I pretty much have perma swiftness when I run. The timer on mirror heal is perfectly in line for a re-cast. I usually start with a Focus4 → heal, then drop the focus for a pistol. It works for me -shrugs-

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

Trouble is, people will HATE you in WvW when you use Focus #4. They accidentally run over it, and boom, whatever swiftness they had is down to 10 seconds.

Well, no, that’s not how it works. If you walk over curtain while you have a Swiftness boon on you, the Curtain does nothing.

Do you play a Mesmer?

You think 15k damage over 6 seconds (iWarden channel time) is good?

No, but I will not extrapolate since I don’t feel a need to try and get Mesmers nerfed anytime soon.

By simple root, you mean a cripple, pull, cripple, root — and this is the chasedown combo, not the actual fight combo.

That aside, yes “simple roots” do get people killed in WvW … all the time.

Do you really need help to kill a downed player…

Well yes, since downed players have 4-7 people trying to rez them. Do you play against competent opponents in WvW?

Then Into the Void appears. Then you have 5 seconds to use the pull or it’s gone. Very easy to counter

You’re really going to use 5 seconds of dodge rolls (which is not possible under normal conditions btw), after you’ve already used other cooldowns to escape the Berserker and other DPS?

in Mesmer

Posted by: LanceLet.6428

LanceLet.6428

Trouble is, people will HATE you in WvW when you use Focus #4. They accidentally run over it, and boom, whatever swiftness they had is down to 10 seconds.

Well, no, that’s not how it works. If you walk over curtain while you have a Swiftness boon on you, the Curtain does nothing.

Do you play a Mesmer?

You think 15k damage over 6 seconds (iWarden channel time) is good?

No, but I will not extrapolate since I don’t feel a need to try and get Mesmers nerfed anytime soon.

By simple root, you mean a cripple, pull, cripple, root — and this is the chasedown combo, not the actual fight combo.

That aside, yes “simple roots” do get people killed in WvW … all the time.

Do you really need help to kill a downed player…

Well yes, since downed players have 4-7 people trying to rez them. Do you play against competent opponents in WvW?

Then Into the Void appears. Then you have 5 seconds to use the pull or it’s gone. Very easy to counter

You’re really going to use 5 seconds of dodge rolls (which is not possible under normal conditions btw), after you’ve already used other cooldowns to escape the Berserker and other DPS?

Thanks for this reply. I was going to say the same thing but I had a feeling someone was going to beat me to it. +1 on every single one of these points.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Orikx.9671

Orikx.9671

I agree Mesmer is kind of slow but I think the trade off for everything else we have is worth it.

If we had the movement speed of a thief combined with everything else we have then we would be ridiculously OP in WvW and you’d see nothing but 200 Mesmers in the borderlands. As is not it’s getting bad enough that everyone thinks they need to roll a Mesmer all of a sudden because of Portal. The good thing is 75% of those people won’t be able to figure out how to play the class well enough to level so they will switch back to their other mains quickly.

As far as the Mesmer Focus off hand being the only thing people run with in WvW. Well that’s not just because of the speed buff. I run Centaur ruins(IMO a must have for Mesmers in WvW) so I don’t need the focus for speed. I still use is 90% of the time because everything else it does. Unless you are fighting 1v1 against another memser there is no other off hand to use in WvW.

Pull people off walls, interrupt people trying to finish a downed foe, interrupt people in general. Pull people off bridge, Trait for focus reflect, drop iWarden on siege or downed players. Focus #4 is probably my most used ability in WvW and I never need it for speed.

So from a WvW perspective, I have to give up something for my speed. The trade off is worth it IMO. If I didn’t have to give something up I’d be way OP and just get nerfed more then we are already going to.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

I run Centaur ruins(IMO a must have for Mesmers in WvW) so I don’t need the focus for speed.

I run Scholar runes. You can imagine my priorities in WvW .

in Mesmer

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Agree.

Man you sure make it sound fun. I wish that I could pull off half of that. I love the Mesmer class. I think it’s my favorite, but I can’t play it very well. I keep finding myself thinking about quitting it but I really want to get good at it. I’m only around lvl 20 but I die rather quickly.

Well it took me until like level 70 to get there lol. Mesmer is one of the more difficult classes to master, and it really doesn’t come into its own until you get a lot of trait points.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

in Mesmer

Orikx.9671

Creslin.1758

Agree.

Well it took me until like level 70 to get there lol. Mesmer is one of the more difficult classes to master, and it really doesn’t come into its own until you get a lot of trait points.

Yeah to be honest I still feel like I am learning new tricks on a regular basis and I have been 80 for a while now and spend all my time in WvW. That is what I love about Mesmer. I consider myself a good Mesmer player and can hold my own very well but I have far from mastered it. There are so many intricate details and tricks that can change a fight it’s amazing.

Sure you can just drop a berserker and duelist and stand back and kite with GS 1 and do ok but that is far from all of the other power you have at your finger tips. All of the utility we provide in WvW is what makes Gw2 so fun for me. I can’t even bring myself to try to lvl and alt because I don’t want to step away from my Mesmer in the borderlands.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in Mesmer

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

learn to use blink and portal, its very strong, the fact that mesmer is very slow is the only thing that imo keeps portal quite balanced

in Mesmer

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

Portals are fun but they are such big down if it comes to balancing the mesmer. Not sure if I would like to give it up.

Blub.

in Mesmer

Orikx.9671

Portal goes way beyond Fun unless you only PvE. I don’t ever want to git rid of it for WvW. The strategy it brings to the table is just huge and makes it so much fun for me to play. I’d rather give up TimeWarp then Portal if I had to choose.

Though honestly I don’t think portal needs to be figured into balancing at all. Once they fix the rendering problems then portal is “fixed” and it will still be very useful IMO.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Ok everybody saying that a 10% signet or trait would make the class OP then answer this.

What if they get the trait that gives us a 9% speed increase when we have 3 clones up and reverse it, so we have 9% with no clones and 0% with 3? This gives the out of combat speed boost (still 1% less the other classes) and lowers our in combat performance which everybody seems to think is so powerful we need to have a constant cripple effect out of combat.