Mesmer needs a 25% Mov. Speed Signet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, mesmer movement speed doesn’t bother me in the slightest. In a group in wvw there’s always permanent swiftness shared between players. If I need to run away I can generally out confuse the enemy and get out of their sight/switching directions, if someone is running from me why should I care? They ran away, I win! Outside of wvw wtf you in a hurry for anyway? There’s way points everywhere, the little jaunt you might have to make between way points is nothing, enjoy the scenery.

Not everyone runs around in zergs in WvW?

And if you’re wandering around solo what are you in a hurry for anyway? I spend a good portion of my wvw time solo, on a bl I can cross the map back and forth to get all the yaks easy peasy, ebg isn’t so simple but lol.

Downplay it all you want, but going from playing any other profession in the game in WvW, for a considerable amount of time, to playing a Mesmer, is painful. It’s like you’re moving in slow-motion. It’s just inconvenient.

Being “in a hurry” is hardly the issue. It’s a simple quality of life problem.

And I can get somewhere just as fast or faster than everyone else except maybe thief or ranger. When running with guild, depending on what build I’m running, I have to be careful not to outrun everyone else. You want to make it so I can run even faster? lol If I spec for speed then I have plenty of it, if I don’t then I don’t. Same as all the other classes :P

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Decked.8274

Decked.8274

I have to be careful not to outrun everyone else.

That’s the stupidest thing i’ve read in this forum.

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

Not my fault you don’t know how to keep swiftness up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Giving a 25% movement sig to mesmers doesn’t make any sense unless you truly believe that every class should have one.

ANet has said that Thieves should be the kings of mobility with rangers close behind, but it doesn’t make sense for mesmers to be the sprinters (they are, after all, a class dressed in ball room dresses and suits). Mesmer mobility is best illustrated by cunning, not pure physical prowess.

I’m not saying that every class needs a 25% Mov. Signet, what I’m saying is that Mesmers need an easier access to movement speed, wich all other classes already have, they will not be faster than these classes so I don’t see why are you calling them sprinters.

In a game where everything needs to be balanced, this is a small thing that is simply not balanced.

Are you saying that mesmers should be as mobile as thieves? In combat, we’re about as mobile with teleports and blinks and are only slower in terms of travel.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ichal.9504

ichal.9504

Giving a 25% movement sig to mesmers doesn’t make any sense unless you truly believe that every class should have one.

ANet has said that Thieves should be the kings of mobility with rangers close behind, but it doesn’t make sense for mesmers to be the sprinters (they are, after all, a class dressed in ball room dresses and suits). Mesmer mobility is best illustrated by cunning, not pure physical prowess.

I’m not saying that every class needs a 25% Mov. Signet, what I’m saying is that Mesmers need an easier access to movement speed, wich all other classes already have, they will not be faster than these classes so I don’t see why are you calling them sprinters.

In a game where everything needs to be balanced, this is a small thing that is simply not balanced.

Are you saying that mesmers should be as mobile as thieves? In combat, we’re about as mobile with teleports and blinks and are only slower in terms of travel.

and that trait that increase speed while having illusion really helps, to my experience

in Mesmer

Decked.8274

Not my fault you don’t know how to keep swiftness up.

Yeah dude, I believe that outrunning your zerg is a huge problem, it’s realy hard to stop pressing W. /sarcasm

in Mesmer

Decked.8274

I was just suggesting a easier access to movement speed, something that is lacking to Mesmers, and you are already imagining a Mesmer vs Thief duel in your head.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Great idea, but it will never happen. Certainly not any time soon. Give mesmers more “smart” movement abilities (TPs, wormholes, arcane dashes), and the forums would erupt in “mesmers Portal is now even more OP” threads. Thematically fits, though.

And if you’re wandering around solo what are you in a hurry for anyway? I spend a good portion of my wvw time solo, on a bl I can cross the map back and forth to get all the yaks easy peasy, ebg isn’t so simple but lol.

Gee, let me think. Running supply for a falling tower sounds like something that has happened to me when in my siege gear. A commander’s call, “help! we need everyone at Bluevale NOW” happens often when I’m roaming solo. For other classes, this means popping in a sig or trait and off I go. For my mesmer, it means switching into my centaur armor, taking up the focus, need Blink and Master of Manip… “never mind, tower fell… we wiped.”

You want to make it so I can run even faster? lol If I spec for speed then I have plenty of it, if I don’t then I don’t. Same as all the other classes :P

As I explained in my paragraph, it’s NOT the same. That’s the issue. Most other classes DON’T have to spec for speed. They just temporarily pop a sig or single adept trait and they are good to go with little impact to their build. For mes, we have to build for it with a weapon choice, utils, traits, and possibly gear to get the same return.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

So by that logic, then necromancers and elementalists should also not have gotten 25% run speed signets? Stop pulling excuses out of your kitten. This is a game without mounted travel. That alone makes out of combat movement speed an issue when all except one class has easy access to it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I was just suggesting a easier access to movement speed, something that is lacking to Mesmers, and you are already imagining a Mesmer vs Thief duel in your head.

This has nothing to do with duels. I wasn’t even specifically talking about PvP.

@ ODB: Necromancers have no teleports like mesmers and have crap for mobility, so a 25% sig isn’t making them into thieves. Ele mobility is ridiculous, but that’s a separate issue and I’m not defending it.

This game doesn’t have mounted movement, but it has waypoints everywhere. That argument doesn’t hold water.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

in Mesmer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I have a necro (lvl 25lol) guardian (lvl 54) and an ele (lvl 30) for alt and surprisingly my necro zipped way past ahead of zerg.

It felt really good not relying on centaur runes or a weapon to catch up okittenero. I actually had to wait since I was too fast. And when combat was near, all I had to do was replace signet of Xx with corrupt boon or something.

Guardian was also fast. Save Yourself is probably a staple to guardian utilities much like decoy is to us. Staff isn’t that bad of a weapon. They have a skill that makes an imaginary wall, swiftness symbol, and I use orb of light on occasion to pump my (albeit) minuscule heal.

Also @ the person above me. I have a thief (70) and they have stealth, teleport (shortbow/shadow return), swiftness from dodge (although the signet works just as fine). The only thing missing are clones, and most of the time, they are shatter fodder.

I’m not complaining at all. I’m just saying it felt really nice not being the last one to the battle since I missed the swiftness train

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

in Mesmer

Posted by: mattattack.1673

mattattack.1673

My sugestion is to rework Signet of Midnight:

Passive: Grants a 25% increase in movement speed.
Active: Blind nearby foes.
Blind: 3 s
Radius: 360
Range: 360

completely agree, except change the passive of signet of inspiration to 25% speed boost while out of combat. the only reason i ever had that signet on my bar was to hopefully get the speed buff (ESPECIALLY at low levels)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

To clarify;

I don’t build for swiftness. I never have. If I did I’d take 2x runes of swiftness instead of 2x runes of strength. That’d give me 20.4 seconds of swiftness from temporal curtain.

I don’t use focus for combat. I do use it while travelling. Temporal curtain grants the casters swiftness bonus to allies too, so that’s 18 seconds of run speed for all from me (here’s a possible clue as to why it doesn’t stack btw).

Here’s an idea, let’s look at Osi’s shattercat build. We all know it, many of us love it. It has huge survivability due to maneuverability, and fantastic burst. One thing people don’t agree with Osi about though is the Runes of the Air. Here’s the thing though, this high burst build NEEDS it if it want’s to have any sort of swiftness at all. Why? Because to obtain that high burst on a mesmer you have to abandon the Chaos trait line. What does the chaos line provide? Boon duration. No matter how you look at any build, you have to take SOMETHING somewhere, whether that be runes, weapons, food, traits, signits, heals etc. If you want that high burst as a mesmer you’re going to have to invest in some runes. In the same vein, if you want amazing swiftness, you’re going to lose out on something else.

Darn, did I shatter some illusions? We can’t have 30,30,30,30,30

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Moving around the map faster isn’t a big deal to me.

I’m fine with some classes being better at choosing when to fight, but once the fight starts it needs to have some repercussions if they choose to leave before one person is downed. sPvP gives that to you with smaller areas limiting movement more and the loss of a capture point even if you successfully escape.

In WvW however… you have far more open space plus not everything is about holding a point… and this becomes an issue. Seriously… good luck stopping a good ele/thief from ganking your precious yak 1v1 and just booking it when you’re on certain classes. Then again… I probably shouldn’t be trying to guard a yak while playing those >.<

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

ichal.9504

i totally agree with Dog above ^

…with… did i just agree with a dog?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

Bah, slow builds = complainers.

Good boon duration + focus swapping + 1200 blink = faster than your zerg spamming speed skills.

Your typical mesmer:- 0% boon duration + no focus (or a smart one who swaps to focus when travelling, might even be traited) + no, or 900 range blink = complains on the forums, or takes runes of centaur/air much to the hate of mesmers who believe it’s a silly sacrifice to have to make.

All this to say that, sure there’s a problem, but there’s something to be said about the players build that’s a part of it. Also, leave Signet of Midnight alone. That’s 10% more boon duration right there!

Here’s a pro tip: 2x rune of monk, 2x rune of water, 2x rune of speed = 50% boon duration to speed (+30% to every other boon), + upwards of 30 points in chaos trait line = +80% swiftness duration (and 60% to all other boons).

Personally 50% bonus swiftness is plenty for me. I prefer a bonus 20% might duration instead.

you aren’t slotting boon duration runes when you are levelling. yes at 80 it’s feasible as are centaur runes if you have the gold or craft them yourself

however extra swiftness for pre 80’s would be nice, as would extra swiftness or travel for those that can’t afford the absurd price for the runes as they are now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Being “in a hurry” is hardly the issue. It’s a simple quality of life problem.

But since this is – apparently – a global issue, how about they bump the OOC runspeed bonus by 25%? This gives everyone full +25% OOC runspeed, which is a much better solution.

And it won’t lock down a signet slot for a QoL out of combat only issue.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Me too, better make Signet of Inspiration give only swiftness when out of combat.

That’d remove some rather neat functions like opening a surprise attack with Fury or starting with Aegis when jumped.

Those chances are so rare because the signet already is so unreliable that it’s pretty much a negligible occasion. It was just an example of how it could work though. The signets currently aren’t really balanced anyway, just compare the laughable utility of Signet of Domination compared to Signet of Midnight, and even the latter would be better off with 20% boon duration.

As someone who mostly plays Elementalist, I would think I’d be pretty spoiled in terms of mobility.

I’ll happily give you some of my mobility in exchange for vapor form, the most annoying downed skill in existence.

Temporal curtain grants the casters swiftness bonus to allies too, so that’s 18 seconds of run speed for all from me (here’s a possible clue as to why it doesn’t stack btw).

Even if it doesn’t stack intentionally, it should at least be replaced by new swiftness. Can’t even count how often I’ve been running over a temporal curtain with just one to three seconds of swiftness left. It’s counterintuitive, inconsistent and annoying.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Mesmers don’t need a 25% mov. speed signet. If you want to run faster bring a focus. Also please don’t compare yourself to other classes having something you don’t, Mesmers have plenty of things other classes don’t and WAY more useful than speed.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

Focus gives 12s swiftness at a 25s recharge without boons/traits. Try that again. And try not to compare completely unrelated utility to this problem, just because one thing ain’t broken doesn’t mean everything else isn’t. Basically, stop trolling.

in Mesmer

Zogyark.4597

Focus gives 12s swiftness at a 25s recharge without boons/traits. Try that again. And try not to compare completely unrelated utility to this problem, just because one thing ain’t broken doesn’t mean everything else isn’t. Basically, stop trolling.

What do you mean try that again? I play a mesmer, swiftness half the time is fine, group swiftness at that even better.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

You mainly play a necro, what if I’d come to the necro forums telling you what I think you don’t need to make up for your lack of utility in PvE just because you do well in other aspects? Jesus…

in Mesmer

Zogyark.4597

You mainly play a necro, what if I’d come to the necro forums telling you what I think you don’t need to make up for your lack of utility in PvE just because you do well in other aspects? Jesus…

I actually play all classes equally but nice try. To be honest I don’t use the necro speed signet I think it’s waste of a utility skill.

I’m not sure what you’re on either Necro has great utility, AOE weakness chill and blind + epidemic are great tools.

(edited by Zogyark.4597)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well, 16,6…% Swiftness instead of 25% then, and that in return for it affecting the party.

That’s pretty fair, no? Slightly less speed, but affects allies and it’s in bursts so you can focus it where you need it during or right before combat.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

That would be valid if the swiftness from Curtain overwrote swiftness of lesser duration. As it is, the reliability is pretty bad in terms of actually applying swiftness, so the compensation isn’t there (from a swiftness perspective; curtain/void is more than fine as an ability).

In addition, in a general WvW case group swiftness is not, in fact, worth a tradeoff of personal swiftness since most players have their own personal swiftness anyways.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

Exactly, thanks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Narly.9023

Narly.9023

Mesmers are generally op. Giving them a passive speed boost would be a sure way to make everyone roll a mes, if that hasn’t happened already.

(edited by Narly.9023)

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

Please stop that cheap trolling, it doesn’t help anybody. Won’t even argue against that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

If Temporal Curtain actually stacked with other swiftness it would not be problem and TC would be awsome. As it is once you have swiftness on it will not stack at all. Guardian Symbol is same except if time left on your swiftness is less than time of Symbol swiftness it will overwrite. Mesmer curtain does not.

This is due to Anet business as usally and making the easiest possible change to fix a problem. People running back and forth threw curtain stacking speed each time. It was felt a class should not have perma swiftness….What should of done is made it so that TC does stack just not with itself. But was easier change to just make TC not stack with anything.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

It would actually probably be hard to make “TC not stack with itself only”, because the swiftness boon on a player probably does not track where it picked up each source of swiftness for what duration.

However, Anet really should have made curtain overwrite the swiftness if the TC boon exceeds the player’s current swiftness duration. Seems easy enough, but … DX.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

It would actually probably be hard to make “TC not stack with itself only”, because the swiftness boon on a player probably does not track where it picked up each source of swiftness for what duration.

They do exactly that, tracking every single boon/condition. That’s a major reason why the stack limit exists.

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

But swiftness doesn’t stack with stacks.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Profano.9514

Profano.9514

Good boon duration + focus swapping + 1200 blink = faster than your zerg spamming speed skills.

Your typical mesmer:- 0% boon duration + no focus (or a smart one who swaps to focus when travelling, might even be traited) + no, or 900 range blink = complains on the forums, or takes runes of centaur/air much to the hate of mesmers who believe it’s a silly sacrifice to have to make.

All this to say that, sure there’s a problem, but there’s something to be said about the players build that’s a part of it. Also, leave Signet of Midnight alone. That’s 10% more boon duration right there!

Here’s a pro tip: 2x rune of monk, 2x rune of water, 2x rune of speed = 50% boon duration to speed (+30% to every other boon), + upwards of 30 points in chaos trait line = +80% swiftness duration (and 60% to all other boons).

Personally 50% bonus swiftness is plenty for me. I prefer a bonus 20% might duration instead.

Best answer ever.

The Sleeping Bard [TSB] | The Bard, http://bit.ly/1GSrsZu

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Best answer ever.

It would have been if it applied to all classes, or at least all except thief; possibly ranger.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

This has nothing to do with duels. I wasn’t even specifically talking about PvP.

@ ODB: Necromancers have no teleports like mesmers and have crap for mobility, so a 25% sig isn’t making them into thieves. Ele mobility is ridiculous, but that’s a separate issue and I’m not defending it.

This game doesn’t have mounted movement, but it has waypoints everywhere. That argument doesn’t hold water.

It holds just as much water as it does for any other class that does have high mobility and out of combat reliable swiftness. Clearly the developers thought that ooc movement speed outside of waypoints was necessary, or they wouldn’t have given that to every other class. It appears that your arguments are the ones that do not hold water bro. Just for the fact that you keep talking about teleports as mobility…that does mean you are talking specifically about pvp. The argument has and will continue to be about ooc movement speed..not about pvp. That means travel without spending silver btw….like every other class can do easily.

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

Best answer ever.

It would have been if it applied to all classes, or at least all except thief; possibly ranger.

best answer ever

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

It holds just as much water as it does for any other class that does have high mobility and out of combat reliable swiftness. Clearly the developers thought that ooc movement speed outside of waypoints was necessary, or they wouldn’t have given that to every other class.

Have you actually played any other classes? o_O

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

You guys must have never played a Guardian. I really don’t think Mesmers are that slow.

“Retreat!”, “Save Yourselves!” and Symbol of Swiftness

and GS leap

Listing a bunch of abilities that can grant swiftness doesn’t suddenly make the Guardian a fast class. If you actually played one for an extended time, you would know it isn’t any more mobile than a Mesmer.

First of all, the staff is a horrible weapon. The one ability it has that could warrant someone to use it is the one that grants 12 stacks of might, but once you realize how much better it is to use blast finishers on a fire field, you will never use this weapon for zergs, solo pvp, or pve.

Save yourselves is an ability that should never be used unless you are playing solo, and even then, it has such a long cd that you won’t be using it until you need to. Wasting this for a short speed boost will get you killed.

Retreat is pretty good in groups, but this also has a long cooldown and is often not used in favor of something else.

Judge’s Intervention requires a target and will often not work as needed.

The greatsword leap is pretty good, yeah.

Mesmer on the other hand gets an OFF HAND weapon with a fantastic swiftness and pull ability. So instead of wasting 5 skills on a useless weapon like a guardian, you can still have a good 3 skills even if you hate the focus. Then you have the signet of inspiration, which on average will grant you more swiftness than any of the Guardian utilities and you don’t even have to use it. On top of that, you have blink which is an amazing ability with a short cooldown and it uses ground targeting.

As someone who mostly plays Elementalist, I would think I’d be pretty spoiled in terms of mobility. The Mesmer is not slow at all. Asking for a passive speed boost is basically being that kid that has to have all of the super powers and is immortal. You already have stealth, you already have clones, you already have swiftness and you can teleport. The Mesmer does not need more mobility.

blah blah blah..in combat, blah blah blah..in combat, blah blah blah..pvp. That’s pretty much what you said and its not what the issue is. The issue is out of combat mobility without having to give blood, donate several organs, and volunteer for lifelong community service.

Yes, we would like to be like all the other kids zipping around the map with their super speed. You guys always come here crying about what abilities mesmers have in combat, and in the same breath try to dismiss everything you have in combat. That’s really hypocritical. This issue has nothing to do with in combat balance. It has everything to do with quality of life, ease of traveling across the map without having to pay the waypoint tax or having to sacrifice an unreasonable amount of build options to do so. Unreasonable being defined as things above and beyond what every other class has to do to achieve the same goal.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Mesmer

ODB.6891

It holds just as much water as it does for any other class that does have high mobility and out of combat reliable swiftness. Clearly the developers thought that ooc movement speed outside of waypoints was necessary, or they wouldn’t have given that to every other class.

Have you actually played any other classes? o_O

Have you? See what I did there? The answer is yes, I have a warrior, necromancer, guardian and elementalist..in addition to my mesmer. I am definitely enjoying my permanent 25% movement speed on my necro and ele. I am definitely enjoying my signet of rage on my warrior. I haven’t leveled my guardian because I got bored with it. Your argument on that front is moot as all of those classes have significant either on demand or persistent swiftness. On my warrior and necro, I even have the OPTION to swap in an offhand to grant me even more swiftness. Not the case on my mesmer as that offhand is my only real swiftness option (extremely unreliable signet). As far as other classes go…I have only testimonials on forums and wiki documentation to prove their out of combat mobility options. You forum criers are always overreacting to this issue. No one is asking for an in combat buff.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

You guys must have never played a Guardian. I really don’t think Mesmers are that slow.

“Retreat!”, “Save Yourselves!” and Symbol of Swiftness

and GS leap

Listing a bunch of abilities that can grant swiftness doesn’t suddenly make the Guardian a fast class. If you actually played one for an extended time, you would know it isn’t any more mobile than a Mesmer.

First of all, the staff is a horrible weapon. The one ability it has that could warrant someone to use it is the one that grants 12 stacks of might, but once you realize how much better it is to use blast finishers on a fire field, you will never use this weapon for zergs, solo pvp, or pve.

Save yourselves is an ability that should never be used unless you are playing solo, and even then, it has such a long cd that you won’t be using it until you need to. Wasting this for a short speed boost will get you killed.

Retreat is pretty good in groups, but this also has a long cooldown and is often not used in favor of something else.

Judge’s Intervention requires a target and will often not work as needed.

The greatsword leap is pretty good, yeah.

Mesmer on the other hand gets an OFF HAND weapon with a fantastic swiftness and pull ability. So instead of wasting 5 skills on a useless weapon like a guardian, you can still have a good 3 skills even if you hate the focus. Then you have the signet of inspiration, which on average will grant you more swiftness than any of the Guardian utilities and you don’t even have to use it. On top of that, you have blink which is an amazing ability with a short cooldown and it uses ground targeting.

As someone who mostly plays Elementalist, I would think I’d be pretty spoiled in terms of mobility. The Mesmer is not slow at all. Asking for a passive speed boost is basically being that kid that has to have all of the super powers and is immortal. You already have stealth, you already have clones, you already have swiftness and you can teleport. The Mesmer does not need more mobility.

blah blah blah..in combat, blah blah blah..in combat, blah blah blah..pvp. That’s pretty much what you said and its not what the issue is. The issue is out of combat mobility without having to give blood, donate several organs, and volunteer for lifelong community service.

Yes, we would like to be like all the other kids zipping around the map with their super speed. You guys always come here crying about what abilities mesmers have in combat, and in the same breath try to dismiss everything you have in combat. That’s really hypocritical. This issue has nothing to do with in combat balance. I has everything to do with quality of life ease of traveling across the map without having to pay the waypoint tax or having to sacrifice an unreasonable amount of build options to do so. Unreasonable being defined as things above and beyond what every other class has to do to achieve the same goal.

Pretty much this^ Signet of inspiration… Is essentially a wasted RNG utility slot especially in combat… And out of combat you are just looking at your screen… Hoping the next RNG boon is swiftness. It’s pretty said… And then if we run runes of air/centaur well then condition damage mesmers have terrible mobility because neither one of these rune sets lends anything to condition damage, and bunker mesmers are stuck with the focus which while it gives decent up time (when traited) is still not as good as just a 25% run boost. People always gripe about how many shatter mesmers there are… Well by trying to choose swiftness we have to build for the shatter zerker spec usually. I think if a 25% speed boost were introduced in SOME form it would really open up build diversity a lot for this class.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Mesmers are indeed in need of some form of better speed options, either in the form of swiftness or a passive 25% option through utility.

Currently I have an 80 each of Warrior, Necro, Engi, Guardian, Mesmer and leveling a ranger. The Mesmer feels so utterly slow compared to all of the others, it is infact the only profession without a viable form of permanent movement speed or close to it.

Warrior: Built around boon duration and swiftness duration, balanced defense and offense. Has swiftness, fury and a minimum of 3 might stacks at all times.

Necro: Passive utility with 25% movements speed, can just replace it when its not needed, like when running a dungeon/fractal or when taking part in keep siege/defense.

Engineer: Speedy kits+Centaur Runes+Medkit#5. Very easy to obtain perma swiftness with no real drawback.

Guardian: Does not have perma swiftness, but it has a 8sec swiftness on a 12sec CD. And staff is a very great weapon of choice for the secondary slot. With the recent buffs to it its even more useful.

Mesmer: I could equip centaur runes, which are very buggy (says 10 sec cd but that is not correct), I would also have to activate a heal to put up swiftness, also very risky if running in WvW. Or trait focus, giving up alot of dps (20 trait points worth), use swiftness stack runes (giving up even more dps), just to obtain close to perma swiftness. Traited focus gives #4 12sec swiftness on a 20sec cd, 19sec swiftness with 60% swiftness duration (max you can get).

Not only would I be forced to use focus, I would be forced into a buggy MH sword or a lackluster MH scepter. Aswell as the 20 trait points that give no real benefit up until the focus talent.

No other class needs to give up this much for close to perma swiftness or 25% runspeed. On all other classes it has come with the spec, without any drawbacks whatsoever. Same deal goes with elementalists, rangers and thieves. Actually, rangers, thieves and necros have the optimal choice like I explained in the necro passage.

Why are mesmers the only class with such limited ways to obtain perma swiftness or 25% extra movement?

IMO Anet should do the BioWare approach, at x level you will get travel speed just like it worked in SWToR. It was the perfect system for movement. Make it 25% and remove the passive effect on signets. This would free up options and make many more specs open. Everyone would benefit from it.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

in Mesmer

ichal.9504

Those chances are so rare because the signet already is so unreliable that it’s pretty much a negligible occasion. It was just an example of how it could work though. The signets currently aren’t really balanced anyway, just compare the laughable utility of Signet of Domination compared to Signet of Midnight, and even the latter would be better off with 20% boon duration.

nah its not rare, for example I was saved multiple times by block from the signet, so yeah I dont agree with that change to the signet

in Mesmer

EasymodeX.4062

IMO Anet should do the BioWare approach, at x level you will get travel speed just like it worked in SWToR. It was the perfect system for movement. Make it 25% and remove the passive effect on signets. This would free up options and make many more specs open. Everyone would benefit from it.

Players already get a, what 33% out of combat run speed boost available at level 1 in GW2.

Various SWTOR classes were able to acquire further universal run speed boosts via specs.

I think the lesson here is that all classes in general have too much access to too much swiftness and passive run speed boosts. Anet should just remove most/all of them and increase player base run speed by 20% or something.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Leveling up a Guardian at the moment and it is much faster then the Mesmer except for the stupid 6 centaur ruin build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

I don’t think anyone should be telling us to use Focus. What if I don’t effing want to?

My build is built around Staff and Greatsword. I don’t think it is fair that I have to forfeit half of my build just so I can move faster. What if I encounter some mob that insists on fighting while I’m moving quickly because I’ve got my focus equipped? Welp, half of my skills are now gone. I’ve only got either Greatsword or Staff. Not both. That is like saying every class should only have one weapon for attacks, and one for speed. It’s just a bit unfair.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I don’t think anyone should be telling us to use Focus. What if I don’t effing want to?

Then you don’t get swiftness. Swiftness is a boon, not something you’re entitled to.

What if I don’t want to waste a utility on my thief for the speed boost? Then I’m stuck with normal walking speed because I don’t get swiftness.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Mesmer

Majora.6028

I’m not talking about swiftness and double attack speed. I’m talking about movement speed only. Like the ranger movement utility.

(edited by Majora.6028)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

That’s quickness. Nobody is talking about quickness.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dirty Dova.6490

Dirty Dova.6490

I think its funny how mesmers have no swiftness signet i really do with the 2 highest mobility classes in the game have one and they are called op. thief and ele is what im referring too. The funny thing about it is that all thiefs that have any sort of build run the signet but eles have so much mobility they dont even have too. So you are already limiting the thief to 2 utilities and btw the only swiftness a thief can get is on dodge roll and it lasts 2 seconds.

I have a lvl 80 ele thief and warrior also a lvl 52 mesmer. I understand what op is and isnt.

in Mesmer

Majora.6028

That’s quickness. Nobody is talking about quickness.

I think you’re posting in the wrong thread, then. I’ll go ahead and repeat what the OP said.

"
My sugestion is to rework Signet of Midnight:
Passive: Grants a 25% increase in movement speed.
Active: Blind nearby foes.
Blind: 3 s
Radius: 360
Range: 360"

Right there, he is talking about movement speed. That is exactly what I’m talking about. Where you got quickness from, I do not know, but the OP, and many other people, are talking strictly about movement speed like the Ranger signet that increases movement speed.