Mesmer or Elementalist?

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Hi all!

I’m deciding what character to level next. After already having played warrior and thief up to 80, I want to play a new class, and these two have caught my eye.

I like to play WvW, and would like to make my next character a commander. Which would you choose, and why? Also looking for some advice as to the aesthetics, so which race/gender would you choose?

Thanks!

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

IMO. for cammander better tanky close combat champ. so u need d/d ele or imortal mesmer. imo ele better to commander, but mesmer much more fun

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

D/D makes a great Commander template, just got to be careful to not outrun your own zerg! can’t comment too much about Mesmer as Commander but i view Ele as more versatile and survivable.

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

mesmer are the slowest turtle you can find in all tyria..
unless you sacrifice some runes for swiftness..
I say, go ele for wvw!!

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Cygnus.6903

So the main downside to mesmer is the speed?

But the ele can be to fast? Isnt the elementalist limited to d!d only?

What about the on demand portal bomb capability?

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Having a Mesmer as a commander is really nice, because it does mean you have a lot of Mesmer utility when you need it. Portal bombs, however, aren’t usually possible if you are a commander, just because you really want to be on one end of the portal to gather people up, as opposed to being in the middle of wherever that portal goes.

That being said, you can still do portal bombs, just takes a bit of creativity. You do have veil for zerg stealthing and all the other utility of a Mesmer.

Speed isn’t really an issue. You’ll have other people around you, and in any group of at least 5ish people, permanent swiftness should not be difficult.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Cygnus.6903

I didnt think the speed was going to be a problem as youre saying. But the elementalist obviously has more damaging aoe which might be more helpful in zerg v zerg.

@Pyro; nice build in your link! How does that work for you in wvw?

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

I didnt think the speed was going to be a problem as youre saying. But the elementalist obviously has more damaging aoe which might be more helpful in zerg v zerg.

@Pyro; nice build in your link! How does that work for you in wvw?

That’s actually my immortal build that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I designed it particularly for wvw, and it handles just about any situation possible in wvw very well.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

confusion mesmer if they don t nerf it ….

D/D ele is good at running and Killing thieves/fetching supplies and extremely bad at doing anything in zergs…

But you can actually run away better than mesmers……
While mesmers can do lot of useful things for a Group/zerg.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Cygnus.6903

confusion mesmer if they don t nerf it ….

D/D ele is good at running and Killing thieves/fetching supplies and extremely bad at doing anything in zergs…

But you can actually run away better than mesmers……
While mesmers can do lot of useful things for a Group/zerg.

I have to say I am starting to lean towards mesmer. I can always use my thief for roaming and fun solo stuff, so this character will be devoted to team/zergplay.

Any other advice?

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

use staff .-. 15 char

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: daphoenix.4283

daphoenix.4283

confusion / glamour mesmers are the thing now adays and contribute much more to a zerg battle than a staff ele.

Staff eles are usually more useful in zerg battles. D/D elementalist at its full potential looks like this

I’m playing a mesmer at the moment and its definitely feels different after playing d/d ele so long.
I would suggest an asura mesmer, due to pain inverter (more confusion?:P). Elementalist human due to avatar of melandru, adds to tanking options.

Commanderwise → mesmers can do more for a team with portals. D/D elementalists are more for leading an assault, and drawing aggro.

Excala, Expert Elementalist
Fort Aspenwood [EXC]
http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=mhee

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

i was suggesting a staff on the mesmer….
Actually is awesome for www.

Expecially staff 5

GW2 balance:

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I would wait to see what happens in the next patch to both classes. One could get nerfed and the other buffed… or one could get a class crippling bug.

Both are solid classes but have very different playstyles. Videos & sPvP play could help you decide which you prefer.

If you’re set on being a commander… I would pick something in heavy armor and go for tankyness… commanders get targeted a LOT (you can see it on them when selected as a target if you know what to look for). That’s one reason why you see so many war/guard commanders. That’s also why more and more groups have stopped even using it. If they fix it so you can’t see that… then that part wouldn’t matter.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Mesmer or Elementalist?

in Mesmer

Cygnus.6903

Thanks for all the help!

I’ve made my choice, Mesmer it is.

@ Aberrant: Good points, however I plan to make my mesmer tanky anyways. It can get pretty solid (although off course never achieve as high an armor rating as guardians or warriors), with a bit more confusing defensive moves and great escapes.